Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows, Centrals
Hayden Skipworth (Adelaide)

Jason Porplyzia (West Adelaide)

Aidan Parker (Subiaco)

Michael Bratton (Norwood)

I am not happy!

Keeping Skipworth and Shirley does nothing for our list. we need ruckmen/KPP players, that's our main weakness.

On top of that Essendon pick up Adrian Wilson! Other Crows that got picked up were Angwin to Carlton and Shir to Richmond I think.

I am happy with Parker. I don't know much about Porplyzia, unless I can find stiffy's info and I am hoping Bratton is a ruckman/KPP.

And we didnt fill our last selection...I hope the football dept at AFC isn't getting too arrogant like they were in 1999.

Jerome

Bratton info

From norwoodfc.com.au

Michael Bratton

Age18

Height 178

Weight 70

Good luck to the kid.

However, I am hoping our ruck division have an injury free year.

Jerome

:mad:

Seems to me that an article in the Advertiser today and other related stuff is suggesting that the onus will be on Marsh to perform as the third ruckman.

The club seems to have more faith in him than we do!

Played 6 games last season. Defensive type?

178cm 72kg 27-11-1984

Originally posted by Jerome
Hayden Skipworth (Adelaide)

Aidan Parker (Subiaco)

Michael Bratton (Norwood)

2 of these are no surprises as I think Skipworth and Parker were rated near certainties to be picked up by Adelaide in the rookie draft.

The Porplyzia family will be delighted with the pick-up of Jason as they feared he might be overlooked because he is lightly framed at this stage. These were his draft camp comments:

Jason Porplyzia West Adelaide 27 Nov 84 183 70 59
Balanced player who reads the play well, has clean hands and is a good decision maker. SA U18’s representative in 2002 and made his SANFL senior debut.

I don't know anything about Bratton at this stage other than that he played in the U/18 National Championships for SA. Was in the best players in 2 of the 3 games - 4th best on each occasion. He was equal 6th in the U17 McCallum medal with 17 votes, and played 2 league games for Norwood during the year. Can only assume that he is either a mid-fielder or on-baller going by the details of his physique.

Melbourne cut our lunch by taking Adam Fisher before we had a pick and Essendon repeated it with Adrian Wilson in round 3.

I know there has been a lot of talk about the need for a rookie ruckman, but I think the fact that they took 3 mid-field on-baller types and a key defender tells us loudly and clearly that they just didn't think that there was anything out there to take. Adelaide are one of the busiest clubs when it comes to trading and I suspect that next year the target will be a ruckman just as this year's was a key marking forward (and we got Carey :) )

My one criticism has to be the non-use of the pre-season draft selection and, to use the Powder supporters favourite phrase, the lack of a project player at CHF. Essendon took a CHF in Courtney Johns in round 2 in the pick prior to the Crows and I would have liked to have seen us pick him up on the rookie list. If we had used our pre-season draft selection and advanced our selections by 1 round we could have done this.

Also noticed that the Powder only took 2 of their possible 5 rookie picks. Can only guess that money was a problem and that their latest fund-raiser - the Stolen Hub Cap drive - was a bit of a fizzer!! :p

Originally posted by napsyd
Seems to me that an article in the Advertiser today and other related stuff is suggesting that the onus will be on Marsh to perform as the third ruckman.

So it should be. There should be some real pressure on him this year.

My concerns are that if one or two (or heaven forbid all three) are out injured, we are stuffed.

I don't want a repeat of 1999.

Clarke is 30 (and could retire at the end of 2003) and Marsh will be 27 next year. Angwin. Gilligan, Golding and Herbert - one of these guys should have been coming through the ranks as a long term player. We need to start grooming someone now. How did that kid from Norwood get past us and go to the Bulldogs?

To me, we are taking a big risk in not having a fourth ruck option. I really hope our big three dont get injured this year.

As for a project player - we already have Matt Smith.

Jerome

Just a bit more on our first interstate rookie ever, Aidan Parker, ex the Subiaco web site.

Club's Best & fairest 2002

"David Lucas finished with a total of 97 votes with runner-up Paul Vines on 82. Richard Ambrose was third place on 81 votes and Aidan Parker (60) and Luke Toia (55) made up the top five for season 2002."

Club News

"Young Subiaco Lion, Aidan Parker has been invited to train with the Adelaide Crows until the December draft on December 17. Parker is just 19 years old and has been fantastic for us over the past season. Aidan is a leader in his own right and we hope he will be a huge success over in Adelaide. The Subiaco Football Club wishes Aidan all the very best.
Goodluck #23, we will be cheering for you!!!"

Don't think that he will be getting #23 with the Crows though :cool:

D.O.B: HEIGHT: WEIGHT:
25/1/1983 193cm 91kg
TERTIARY STUDIES:
UWA - Double degree in Commerce and Science
Student
HOBBIES:
Basketball, Sport, Hanging out with the boys
CLUB OF ORIGIN:
Carine JFC
YOUR PERFECT PARTNER AT THE SANDOVER MEDAL COUNT:
Leah, Murta or Mum
OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS WHO HAVE MADE A MARK IN SPORT:
Brother Ben - Western Reds - Rugby
BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON CAREER:
Father and Coaches and mum reckons she knows it all.
MATCH DAY ROUTINE:
Cold Shower, last to get ready
WORST MOVIE EVER SEEN:
Shorty Does Dallas
FIRST CAR YOU EVER OWNED:
Cancer
SUBIACO LEGEND:
Toddie "Big arse" Holmes

Also played State footy for WA this year.

Originally posted by macca23
Just a bit more on our first interstate rookie ever, Aidan Parker, ex the Subiaco web site.

Club's Best & fairest 2002

"David Lucas finished with a total of 97 votes with runner-up Paul Vines on 82. Richard Ambrose was third place on 81 votes and Aidan Parker (60) and Luke Toia (55) made up the top five for season 2002."

Is that the Paul Vines who struggled to consistenly get a league game at the Magpies? I know it's Curtly an ex-Magpie who came third.

Paul Vines

That's definately him. He ended up doing his knee in a finals match and will miss most of season 2003. Isn't funny how a very average player can become a good player in a s**t competition.

Originally posted by napsyd

I read with interest comments Ayresy made on Marsh in his recent article. He couldve opted to not mention him at all but he's obviously laid it on the line to him at some stage how he needs to step up.

It must be tough being a third string ruckmen behind the likes of Clarke and Biglands ...waiting your chance.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him line up against the scum first up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article from AFL site

Crows take their first non-SA rookie
1:20:14 PM Fri 20 December, 2002
Matt Burgan

Adelaide created a club first at the AFL rookie draft on Friday when the club drafted its first non-South Australian rookie, when the Crows selected Aidan Parker from Subiaco.

Crows recruiting manager James Fantasia said that Parker deserved his opportunity after being overlooked in the past three National AFL Drafts.

“Our third pick was Aidan Parker, who is a really interesting story, because he is the first time we’ve gone interstate with a rookie,” Fantasia said.

“He’s a kid that was a previous AIS kid, but the last couple of years he’s played senior football for Subiaco.”

“In fact, he played under 18s and in the same year he was a member of the senior state team, so it’s just good to give him an opportunity and he’s been over training with us and really put his hand up, so we’re delighted to give him a go.”

Fantasia said the club was pleased to be able to redraft Hayden Skipworth after he was delisted before the National AFL Draft.

“Hayden Skipworth was our first pick and he’s been on our list for a couple of years so obviously we had a very good idea as to what we were getting,” Fantasia said.

“And it’s really pleasing that he’s come out with a big pre-season and he’s flying at the moment, so that’s been a really good sign for him and we took him with our first one.”

Fantasia also spoke about Jason Porplyzia (West Adelaide) and Michael Bratton (Norwood).

“Our second pick is a young lad named Jason Porplyzia who plays at West Adelaide. He’s an 18-year-old who represented South Australia and actually played a handful of senior games this year and he’s an exciting young midfielder, with great skill and lovely balance who picks up high possessions,” Fantasia said.

“And the last one was a local boy by the name of Michael Bratton. Michael has played league football this year and he represented South Australia in the under 18s. He’s a quick midfielder.”

“So we think we’ve got some good local kids with one from interstate.”

So it should be. There should be some real pressure on him this year.

My concerns are that if one or two (or heaven forbid all three) are out injured, we are stuffed.

I don't want a repeat of 1999.

Clarke is 30 (and could retire at the end of 2003) and Marsh will be 27 next year. Angwin. Gilligan, Golding and Herbert - one of these guys should have been coming through the ranks as a long term player. We need to start grooming someone now. How did that kid from Norwood get past us and go to the Bulldogs?

To me, we are taking a big risk in not having a fourth ruck option. I really hope our big three dont get injured this year.

As for a project player - we already have Matt Smith.

Jerome
I concur with your comments Jerome. The non-participation in the draft & the rookie selection has got me buggered! We should be using the rookies to cover potential problems with our squad if player(s) get injured. We all know we have a stack of midfielders, so what does AFC do, draft another 3 out 4 rookie selections. WTF is their thinking?

Surely they can see what 99% of Crows supporters can - that Marsh is crap & if Biglands &/or Clarke are injured for a reasonable period we are stuffed. We should be grooming another young ruckman behind these 2, given Angwin & a few other recent selections haven't turned out as hoped.

No problems with Skipworth's selection (although at #1 was little suprising) or Parker. But at least one of the other 2 selections should have been a ruckman. Surely there is a ruckman out there somewhere who was worthy if a rookie selection... :confused: :confused:

Think I forgot to mention that I heard our 4th rookie selection, Michael Bratton, being interviewed on 5AA the other day. As suspected, Michael is a midfielder/on-baller. He was a draft camp invitee but missed it due to a shoulder injury which tended to push him well into the background at national draft time. He was asked to describe his strengths which he stated as being very quick but also having strong endurance, plus good skills. He also stated that he obviously is too light at 70 kg against men and will have to work with the weights this year to strengthen up.

Sounded like a nice type of lad, and was ecstatic to be rookie listed by the Crows.

Bratton almost got an AFL record in the endurance test at the draft camp this year. Looks like another good young player who can be built up and become a strong midfielder with his pace and endurance. If he becomes bigger, then there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to become another good midfielder with his pace and skills.

Originally posted by snakebite01
Bratton almost got an AFL record in the endurance test at the draft camp this year. Looks like another good young player who can be built up and become a strong midfielder with his pace and endurance. If he becomes bigger, then there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to become another good midfielder with his pace and skills.

Was that the draft camp conducted in Adelaide where he almost got an AFL record in the endurance test , snakebite? He said that he missed the national draft camp, but I did either read or hear somewhere exactly what you are saying about the endurance record.

Originally posted by snakebite01
That's really impressive there. That endurance there is definitely important for being a key midfielder in the game in the next 5 or so years from now. If he becomes one of our top midfielders later on down the track, who knows, the guys might be doing "Bratton Runs" like they do with Goody and Roo right now.

Panther power u have to be the biggest tosser on these boards how dare you say that the wafl is a **** competion ppl like you dont even have a clue i cant wait till the next state game oh to see you useless crow eaters get thrashed ha ha ha ha ha

Originally posted by macca23
Was that the draft camp conducted in Adelaide where he almost got an AFL record in the endurance test , snakebite? He said that he missed the national draft camp, but I did either read or hear somewhere exactly what you are saying about the endurance record.

Yeah macca23 it was held in Adelaide and he actually did set the record but it was broken the next day at the draft camp in Queensland. It was very short lived but it is a very impressive stat!!!!;)

RE:paul Vines

HASBEEN your obviously a Subiaco supporter who is disappointed that we have got your full- back (Aidan Parker). In relation to Paul Vines, he was ...just a player over here with the Magpies. Having spoken to a number of WAFL footballers over the years along with the WAFL state coaching staff, they all say the same thing. The SANFL is a stronger competition that the WAFL. When it comes from the horses mouth, you just can't argue. If the WAFL was a better competition, why would of Rod Tregenza come to SA after having been at the Kangaroos for the last two seasons and not return East Fremantle? Think about it HASBEEN! I await you reply.:D :D :D :D

Well to ruin it for u im a south fremantle supporter with high hopes of aidan parker and the only reason tregenza didnt come back is because of monetary reasonsi cant blame the man if someone was gunna pay me a stupid amount i would go as well remember the sanfl has a much higher salary cap than the wafl :cool:

Originally posted by HASBEEN
Well to ruin it for u im a south fremantle supporter with high hopes of aidan parker and the only reason tregenza didnt come back is because of monetary reasonsi cant blame the man if someone was gunna pay me a stupid amount i would go as well remember the sanfl has a much higher salary cap than the wafl :cool:

I hope that Aidan Parker makes it big time here because the Crows are looking for that 6'4" extra tall for the defense and he fits the bill. For a lad of his age he has done well in a man's comp and the reports from WA on him are good.

As for players coming to the SANFL instead of the WAFL - yep - money speaks all languages!! ;)

I am not happy! we need ruckmen/KPP players, that's our main weakness.
Listening to Steven Trigg on 5AA (he is on now), they wanted to pick a ruckman, but felt there was no one worth picking up. Surely, there is someone out there?? Perhaps Stiffy can bring back a giant Greek guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back