Club Legend
Apr 26, 2003
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MVFC, Storm, Arsenal
...and in emphatic style 47-17!!

Right from the first kickoff the Falcons were switched on and not once did they look like losing! We all knew for the Rams to stand any chance they had to shut down Vick, and on the 3rd play IIRC he rushed for 47 yards the the tempo was set! "DVD" (Dunn, Vick & Duckett) had a big game with both Dunn and Vick going over 100-yards rushing, with Dunn chipping in for 2 TD's as well. Duckett while he did not have the big numbers of Dunn did just a good a job. On numerous 3rd down occasions he was able to get the short yardage and then some for the first down, and he also chipped in with a TD of his own right at the death! Vick, well what can you say, Vick was Vick. It might not have been his most exciting game, but he ran amock with his damaging runs and his throwing game was on today as well!

Defensively, well what can you say! They were awesome. They gave away a few points early on, but after that they never gave the St Louis Offense a chance. They kept up their #1 ranking for sacks in the NFL and put Bulger down on a number of occasions!

Our running game was top notch today! 250+ yards in the first half and over 300 yards total. Even though everyone knows we are a running team, it is hard to stop and "DVD" ensure big totals! And Allen Rossum is a bloody gun! You can always count on him to get you a good return from the kick off or from the punt, with 1 TD return and several other big gains, over 150-yards in total! A big asset to have!

I am pumped as you can imagine, and cant wait for next week. Philly or Minnesota I am ready!

GO FALCONS!!

Re: Falcons silence the doubters!

I think for you Dasher I'll keep tipping against the Falcons. :eek:

I'm still not 100% sold on the offense, but they, the D and special teams were sensational today. Complete performance and they steamrolled the Rams.

But how bad was the Rams defense? They couldn't lay a tackle to save themselves. Some of the Falcons blocking though was first class.

You should be pumped - they are a genuine SB chance - whoever wins tomorrow.

JeffDunne said:
I think for you Dasher I'll keep tipping against the Falcons. :eek:

I'm still not 100% sold on the offense, but they, the D and special teams were sensational today. Complete performance and they steamrolled the Rams.

But how bad was the Rams defense? They couldn't lay a tackle to save themselves. Some of the Falcons blocking though was first class.

You should be pumped - they are a genuine SB chance - whoever wins tomorrow.

I give you full permission to keep tipping against us! I dont mind being underrated!

Agree, the Rams D was pretty awful, they just werent switched on today. The first effort when Dunn scored his first TD was just woeful!

Hopefully we can put in a similar peformance next week, it would be hard to put in a performance as good as that!

I knew that the Rams D wasn't the ideal unit to STOP Vick or DVD as you put it Dasher but the Falcons were smokin' HOT today !! The only query I'd care to raise is whether the Falcons can cope with the ICY COLD conditions of Philadelphia ??? That is the question ! (A 20-6 loss in the 2002 season Divisional game IRRC) That's if the Eagles can claw out a win tomorrow.

So it's Atlanta @ Philly next week! Philly disposed of the Vikings 27-14 today! I didnt see the game, but it looked like a pretty comfortable win for them!

Bring on Philly!!

Falcons were awesome in the dome last night. No doubt there. If they can show the same intensity outside in the cold of Philadelphia, then all doubt will be removed! They have as good a chance as anyone of getting to the SB right now IMO.

How good are Philly at defending the Run?? They would have to be pretty good, finishing 13-3, but where are they ranked??

Sorry, the Falcons have not silenced this doubter yet.

They were playing against a Rams team that went 8-8, and have not been much more than ordinary all year.

Next week is the test, offense IMO is still suspect.

Left Field said:
How good are Philly at defending the Run?? They would have to be pretty good, finishing 13-3, but where are they ranked??

They are 16th in the NFL against the run which makes them middle of the road/average. They were a lot worse earlier in the season against the run and the promotion of Jeramiah Trotter to Middle linebacker has given them some steel in their run defense.

If i was atlanta i'd want Vick to throw a little more to catch philly off guard. Philly love to blitz so screen passes will be the order of the day. And Warrick Dunn's speed will be important to make those plays work.

Re: Vick holds the ACES

marcuz said:
If i was atlanta i'd want Vick to throw a little more to catch philly off guard. Philly love to blitz so screen passes will be the order of the day. And Warrick Dunn's speed will be important to make those plays work.
Can see Philly getting torched if the Falcons get the screen working well as Vick finds ways to TRICK the opposition that when they come off, it's a automatic first down...on the flipside... the Eagles just have to find a way to take Vick outta the game ...the earlier the better. Simple as that.

The Georgia Dome is an indoor arena with artificial grass. Philly's is an outdoor arena. Weather will play a big factor in Atlanta's chances this weekend. It's easy running 300 yards indoors, but if it's a cold and miserable day in Philly... when is it not??

Anyway I hope Atlanta do it, I'd love to see the Falcons reach another Superbowl.

Falcons by 10. 24-14.

CARN THE EAGLES!

It is destiny. Even Todd Pinkston is occasionally taking a catch.

After Culpepper, Vick should be easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(04/05) NFL Conference Championship Playoffs

The bookmakers have the defending champs, New England installed at $2.50 with Atlanta as great value roughies at $8.00 with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh both at $3.40.

Re: Super Bowl Champions XXXIX Poll

Since I stand to collect well on the Steelers - I'm rooting for them!

The wife keeps asking me who's Big Ben? :eek:

Regardless of who tipped who last week :eek: I think we can safely say the best two teams (clearly) all year in the NFC have made it through. And I think it's fair to say the best two overall teams in the AFC have made it through. So this week should be two great matchups.

Not so sure the superbowl will be though. I think both the Eagles and Falcons will struggle to score enough points against a Pats or Steelers defence. While they have very good defences, the running game of the AFC teams will be too strong.

If I have any cred left after tipping the Rams, my picks this week are

Eagles 31 - Falcons 27
Steelers 21 - Pats 20

Steelers over Eagles in SB.

I love the fact that we are still considered the underdog and arent considered by the bookies as a genuine shot at the SB!!

It's obvious that I think the Falcons will get up over the Eagles this weekend. In the AFC, you cant go past the Steelers. They almost had a major stuff up last week, but I think this week again with HF advantage and that game behind them, Big Ben will be up and firing and be too much for the Pats.

My tips:

Falcons 27 - Eagles 17
Steelers 28 - Patriots 21

SuperBowl to be contested between Steelers and Falcons, with my birds coming out on top in a close battle 24-21!

I am spewing that I cant get Monday next week off work, so I will have to sit at the computer at work and watch the game there, boy that will be hard. When we make it to the SB, it will be even harder..I will find someway to get the day off. I am not missing that moment for anything!!

NFC:
Falcons 24
Eagles 14

AFC:
Steelers 20
Patriots 27

Falcons over Patriots in Superbowl XXXIX.

And with no Thrashers this season and the Hawks playing like crap, won't there be a party in Atlanta Town that night.

Go Falcons

Eagles over Falcons
Patriots over Steelers

Patriots over Eagles to win the Superbowl :cool:

Eagles over Falcons
Patriots over Steelers

Eagles over Patriots

I'm not ready to pick a SB winner just yet, but will take a shot at the AFC and NFC championship games:

Jan 23rd @ 3 PM EST
Atlanta @ Philadelphia
Line - Atlanta +5 1/2 - Over/Under 38 1/2
Forecast -5 C with 80% chance of snow
Vick is hard to tackle on a dry field...he'll make the Eagles defense slip and slide...Old habits die hard...like losing NFC championship games, so I'll take the road Dog with the Points & the Under.
Atlanta 20 - Philadelphia 16

Jan 23rd @ 6:30 PM EST
New England @ Pittsburgh
Line - Pittsburgh +3 - Over/Under 35 1/2
Forecast -3 C -falling by game time and during game-with 80% chance of snow
Sounds like a cold messy game. It will be difficult to put pressure on the QBs, but it will be difficult to throw and catch the ball. I'll back the Steelers offensive line & running backs, as well as their defense to shut down the NE ground game. Let me have the home Dog with the Points & the Under.
Pittsburgh 21 - New England 13

The Falcons at $8 are at tremendous value really, definitely worth a punt. If they can get their rushing game going against Jeremiah Trotter, and keep Brian Westbrook from having any big plays, I think they'll take care of the Eagles this weekend, they have to press Philly's WR's at the line of scrimmage though.

In the other game, New England's D is most likely going to make Roethlisbeger (damn I hope I spelled that right) look silly with a few INT's. Hines Ward needs to have a big game, since the Pats don't hav Ty Law, but Belicheck's coverage schemes are so good, I can't see that happening.

Back