NFL 2004/05 NFL - Conference Championships

Which Team WILL WIN SUPER BOWL XXXIX ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Road to Jacksonville FL

Looking forward to seeing the game in two weeks. I am fortunate enough to be in the States in the city of sin, Vegas, over that weekend, so I will be able to gauge the atmosphere and hype of what Superbowl does for the Yanks.

PS : backed the Patriots early in the season at fair odds of $3.75

kirky said:
Looking forward to seeing the game in two weeks. I am fortunate enough to be in the States in the city of sin, Vegas, over that weekend, so I will be able to gauge the atmosphere and hype of what Superbowl does for the Yanks.

PS : backed the Patriots early in the season at fair odds of $3.75
Great odds. How heavy did you back them ? :)

Re: Eagles - on their way to glory

Yeah I love to see the Eagles win but it aint going to happen. Its going to be sickening for us Bengals fans to see Corey Dillon raise the Lombardi. If anyone doesn't deserve a superbowl ring its that guy.

Why doesnt Corey Dillon deserve to win coasting? Hes been a model professional this season, i mean who wouldnt get a bit ticked off when you are playing for such an insipid and pitiful team like the Bengals ;)

I understand where coasting is coming from with Dillon. But in a good organisation he has been forced to pull his head in.

But spare a thought for Niners fans if they have to watch TO pull off the big one. God help the world if TO catches the game winning TD. I wouldn't watch ESPN for 6 months - it would be sickening.

Having said that though, there's plenty on the Eagles defense that deserve a ring. I bet they enjoyed making Vick look like a high school QB. I hope they tear apart their soft-(ock receivers in the locker room if they let them down in the SB.

coasting said:
Same old Squeelers. Always crack in the big games. Loved it how everyone left before the end :D But the best bit was Roethlisburger being exposed as the overated player he is, Big Ben was a Big Bust. Watch everyone jump off the bandwagon.

Pffft !! :rolleyes: coasting, you are a twit !

Obviously you've achieved alot more in the NFL to pass judgement...F**** moron !

Re: Super Bowl Champions XXXIX Poll

mcgarnacle said:
3 INT and 1 rtn for an 87-yd TD. can't give up that sort of ball to a quality side such as the Patsies.

Where's Woodie gone? His team has really made my Monday a real ********ter!!

What do you want me to say ?? I'm as shattered as much the next 'Steeler' guy. You said it Mcgarnacle....and considering your Jets should of put us out in the first place you could say there is some justice in the game... :eek:

I'm more dissappointed about the play calling... as JD's rage seems to BOIL in the other thread, I concur 100%... how UPSET would the fans at the stadium be ?? No wonder alot of them couldn't tolerate it... If I were Cowher, I'd call up Herman Edwards and pass on my Pro Bowl coaching duties for the AFC to him.... stupidity shouldn't be rewarded with a trip to Hawaii.

on the flipside, the Patriots O line was amazing... gave Brady just enough time to inflict the damage with his rifle arm. And as you pointed out mcgarnacle, you just can't give the Pats anything. WE BLEW IT and that's what hurts the most. Big Ben will be better for the experience and perhaps Cowher will have alot of questions to answer that FANS will be DEMANDING a thorough explaination. :mad:

Eagles have a GREAT chance... I know I may sound like I'm backflipping on them but getting TO back will juice the whole organisation up and get them FIRING...should be another pearler SB like last season I feel.

Re: Battle of the Lines

marcuz said:
Philly blocked well up front today, they gave McNabb plenty of time to sum up the situation and make a play.

Very much like New England... and neither team gives the ball up and with the Eagles defense swarming the QB.
SB XXXIX is guarenteed to have everyone on the edge of thier seats...how many Eagles defensive backs going to the Pro Bowl ?? hmmm...

Brady got his work cut out for him.

Eagles are great $$$ value.

Woodson said:
Pffft !! :rolleyes: coasting, you are a twit !

Obviously you've achieved alot more in the NFL to pass judgement...F**** moron !

Ahh don't get upset dude. The Steelers had a good year. I never would have thought at the start of the year that they would have made the AFC championship game. I was rootin for ya, I hate the patriots as much as anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Business said:
Why doesnt Corey Dillon deserve to win coasting? Hes been a model professional this season, i mean who wouldnt get a bit ticked off when you are playing for such an insipid and pitiful team like the Bengals ;)

I don't mind Corey Dillons success. I just mind what it brings. The media are already starting Corey's "rags (Bengals) to riches (Pats)" story when the real truth is that players like Corey Dillon were the reason the Bengals were the Bungles for so long. He openly flaunted team rules, made comments detrimental to the team, said things like "Id rather flip burgers than play for the Bengals", undermined coaches and was a general asshat until the team couldnt take it anymore and was forced to trade him. Corey Dillon is everything that a team player shouldn't be but in NE he is being made out as the consumate team player and professional. He knows he is on his last chance on a superbowl dynasty team. He has been the definition of a disgruntled, selfish player his whole career (in fact even before he got drafted) but he keeps out of trouble for one year on a superbowl team and all of a sudden he is a darling of the NFL. Please. Read this story, it pretty much sums it up...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050121/COL03/501210404/1066/SPT02

it's a real ********ed up feeling i know, more so after the W16 streak the Steelers accomplished this season.

i agree re the SB. should be a cracker. in fact the post-season thus far has been fantastic this year, particularly the AFC. just couldn't pick any of the matches with much confidence. and the matches which i thought would be blow-outs, i.e., Jets matches, were the ones that kept me on the edge (suppose when my team is involved the intensity levels are raised a notch). it's a credit to all the organisations involved.

look, i have to say that the Patsies will take out the NFL Championship (i'll rush to the bathroom and promptly insert a cake of soap into my mouth upon clicking the 'submit reply' button). here's hoping the return of TO will spur the Eagles to a greater belief and get over the Patsie D. The Eagles D will do the job, it's up to their O to come up with the goods.

Hey coasting.... you bloody 'stirrer' ....didn't appreciate your comments one bit...so I'll retract my outlandish BLAST and say you're a swell guy afterall... :eek: I was expecting a cyber fisty cuffs :p

As for Mcgarnacle, don't you start... too easy to urinate on a rookie when he has 'overachieved' .... whatever that means... I'm just happy he had the season he did instead of wondering what Tommy Maddox could of accomplished... we weren't expected to win the division, let alone make the play-offs and still we beat the undefeated (at the time) SB teams in comprehensive fashion (for the Steelers that is)... give credit where it's due.

Re: Proving a HEAVY POINT

Just an Ego thing rubbed up the wrong way... btw great article to read coasting.

But as JD points out, the thing with TO is just as engrossing. Doesn't matter as there is someone in most organisations at some time that wants to make a point and ram that point down the throat of others. Didn't Mark Williams do what he had to do after last years AFL GF...I thought it was great to see. Good on him. TO has ppl in his sights.... man, don't wanna be those coaching guys he gave a absolute tonguelashing at the Niners...they are the one's he wants to STICK IT UP... I can see where TO & Corey Dillion are coming from.

Some 'authority/team leaders' in our lives have had very little faith or poor vision and NEED TO BE SHOWED UP..... I know I've been in the same situation and it makes you feel 'so complete' to point the finger at the PIGS !

oink oink :D

ps: I think the taunts that Branch did to the crowd was amusing ....I can accept that considering we rolled them during the season...if it were a first meeting..then I wonder if he would of done likewise ???

mcgarnacle said:
in fact the post-season thus far has been fantastic this year, particularly the AFC. just couldn't pick any of the matches with much confidence. and the matches which i thought would be blow-outs, i.e., Jets matches, were the ones that kept me on the edge (suppose when my team is involved the intensity levels are raised a notch). it's a credit to all the organisations involved.

Interesting to note that going into the play-offs, the Colts were seen as the AFC GUNS and expected to reach the Championship (even the Mooch says so) but getting SHUT DOWN by the Pats was the one big dissappointment game of the season IMO. I feared the Colts... I prefered to have played the Pats :eek: (no explaination needed) but it goes to show, that once you're in the play-offs anything can happen.. so I think the Eagles shouldn't be written off that easily... heck, Carolina almost won it last season and if there is such word as 'overachieving' then why isn't Carolina labeled as that ?? You gotta give credit where it's to teams not expected to rise. My Steelers 04/05 included. It bodes well to be the underdog in sports... even if you are a 15-1 team... playing at home and not expected to win (bookies say so) however if the Steelers have another BIG season next season, I'd be hellbent expecting us to WIN the VL trophy. This season was riding our luck and taking it a MASSIVE step in the right direction. The 16-2 record looks unbelievable and as a complete flattering achievement.

Woodson said:
As for Mcgarnacle, don't you start... too easy to urinate on a rookie when he has 'overachieved' .... whatever that means...

One could make a good argument that Big Ben didn't learn as much as his record suggests. No doubt, he did a fine job. However, we all can agree that Pittsburgh had a great defense, a great running game & let's face it, the ball was bouncing there way all year long. The Steelers had protected him all year and never asked him to do much during games until it really mattered, so its no surprise he threw all those interceptions in the playoffs against very good teams. Big Ben hasn't proved that he is the type of QB that can lead a team to victory on his own shoulders. Maybe someday, but I don't think so right now. He's not that kind of QB IMO. He's a game manager & a damn good one but i don't think he's a QB that can carry a team by himself...yet. He'll grow more as a QB next year. He's not going 15-1 next year. He'll learn more from going 10-6 than he did going 15-1. I'm not knockin the guy, i'm just saying that despite all the media hype he is really no different than a number of other very good young quarterbacks in the league. It will be interesting to see what happens with Pittsburgh now. What happens when Big Ben is required to be a difference maker? What happens when Plaxico Burress leaves? What happens if "The Bus" retires? Can Duce carry the load? How will the team adjust to a mortal Big Ben? Can Big Ben adjust to being mortal? There really is no precedent, no QB in the history of the league has started his career this way. It is entirely possible that he'll never enjoy the same degree of success he's already had, ever again. It will be interesting to see how he handles it because there's really nowhere to go but down.

coasting said:
One could make a good argument that Big Ben didn't learn as much as his record suggests. No doubt, he did a fine job. However, we all can agree that Pittsburgh had a great defense, a great running game & let's face it, the ball was bouncing there way all year long. The Steelers had protected him all year and never asked him to do much during games until it really mattered, so its no surprise he threw all those interceptions in the playoffs against very good teams. Big Ben hasn't proved that he is the type of QB that can lead a team to victory on his own shoulders. Maybe someday, but I don't think so right now. He's not that kind of QB IMO. He's a game manager & a damn good one but i don't think he's a QB that can carry a team by himself...yet. He'll grow more as a QB next year. He's not going 15-1 next year. He'll learn more from going 10-6 than he did going 15-1. I'm not knockin the guy, i'm just saying that despite all the media hype he is really no different than a number of other very good young quarterbacks in the league. It will be interesting to see what happens with Pittsburgh now. What happens when Big Ben is required to be a difference maker? What happens when Plaxico Burress leaves? What happens if "The Bus" retires? Can Duce carry the load? How will the team adjust to a mortal Big Ben? Can Big Ben adjust to being mortal? There really is no precedent, no QB in the history of the league has started his career this way. It is entirely possible that he'll never enjoy the same degree of success he's already had, ever again. It will be interesting to see how he handles it because there's really nowhere to go but down.

As much as your post sounds 100% logical... the part of saying that he's got nowhere to go but down... so having a 10-6 season is considered a backward step but it also is a chance to make the play-offs >>> possibily winning games 'on the road' which can be a PLUS for BIG BEN and hopefully advancing the Steelers the next step... if he can achieve this, it's only going to prime him for success in coming seasons.

Just feel for a guy who has been at the forefront of achieving so much only to let himself down (for three poor passes) the rest was damn good...didn't his scrabbling impress ? I'd like him to prove alot of ppl WRONg that this season was NOT a freak. I'm only dissappointed/ partially shattered.... not heartbroken. The dream season has ended. A great WAKE UP call for some.

Woodson said:
As much as your post sounds 100% logical... the part of saying that he's got nowhere to go but down... so having a 10-6 season is considered a backward step but it also is a chance to make the play-offs >>> possibily winning games 'on the road' which can be a PLUS for BIG BEN and hopefully advancing the Steelers the next step... if he can achieve this, it's only going to prime him for success in coming seasons.

Just feel for a guy who has been at the forefront of achieving so much only to let himself down (for three poor passes) the rest was damn good...didn't his scrabbling impress ? I'd like him to prove alot of ppl WRONg that this season was NOT a freak. I'm only dissappointed/ partially shattered.... not heartbroken. The dream season has ended. A great WAKE UP call for some.

I stand by my comments. All I was trying to explain was what I meant by Big Ben overachieving, and hopefully I explained myself. A rookie QB, who came out after his junior year from a small college, had no business doing as well as Big Ben did but its a credit to the Steelers that he performed so well. A large reason he performed so well is because he has very good team mates and was in a good system. All I meant by 'there is nowhere to go but down' is that its entirely possible that he'll never again lead his team to 15 wins in a row. Roethlisburger learned to walk before he could crawl but teams have now figured out how to play him. They stopped blitzing him so hard and flooded coverage with defensive backs. Sure he can scramble and his real strength is improvising when his protection collapses but he has yet to show he can throw well into heavy coverage. In the last few games he has started to go through the struggles that all young quarterbacks must go through in the NFL. The fact the Steelers made the AFC championship game belies the fact that he still has a long way to go.

I'll just conclude by saying that a 13-1 Rookie record may be classed as overachieving if and only if, BIG BEN doesn't come thru in the following seasons with 70+ % winning record and time will be the judgment on that one.

I like to think that HUNGER and experience can bring out the BEST in teams.
Philadelphia have everything going for them come Feb 6th. just like Port Power in the AFL.... we just didn't see it coming and New England are like the Brisbane Lions who have constantly proven they are a cut above the rest.

Time to take the blinkers off... the EAGLES have landed.

Re: Falcons silence the doubters!

Dash! Yeah I found a fellow Bird fan in Melbourne. We should start a club. LOL
I was lucky enough to be back home during the fall, which is Atlanta for me, and got to go to every home game. Vick is a site to behold. I can't find words for the guy. All these other chaps see is highlights on Sports Center and have no clue what the guy is capable of.
But for me, when he ran 48yds in overtime against the Vikes to win the game, he had me at hello, he had me at hello.

GO BIRDS! Good luck in the off season, grab us some O-line and a 1st tier receiver for crying out loud and we will take it that extra step next year!!

Back