LoneStar

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2004
30.02° N x 95.15° W
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Broncos
Well, the second round AFC playoff matchups are set and the rematch of last year's Patriots-Colts game looks like the game of the weekend.

The Patriots have a ball control offense which will try to keep Manning off the field. Manning can get frustrated if he is kept on sidelines for long periods of time and may try to do too much too fast when he finally gets an opportunity. I look for the Pats to try to slowly pound the ball down the field, eat up clock, and not turn the ball over. Their goal will be to score points while wearing the Colt defense down. Corey Dillon will be a big part of the Patriot attack.

Patience on the Colt offense part could be a key. If the Colts can take whatever the Pats are willing to give up and control the ball on long drives themselves, it might keep the Colt defense a little fresher and better able to stifle the Patriot offense.

The Patriots have an injury-riddled defense, especially at defensive back, which has got to make the Colt offense salivate. Ty Law, who intercepted 3 Manning passes in last year's playoff game against Colts was placed on injured list this week and is out for the playoffs. This might make the Colts attempt to carve the Patriots up with the passing game, but the Colts need to remember to not sell their running game short and continue to run the entire game. The Patriot defense can be worn down during a game, too.

Bill Belichick, the Patriot head coach is a defensive genius and will come up with some unexpected wrinkle to throw at the Colts and confuse Manning. Manning is not easy to be kept off-balanced for long, so it will be interesting to see how the Colts respond.

Patriot offensive coordinator Charlie Weis is off to be the head coach at Notre Dame University when the season ends and the Patriots better hope he has not gotten short-timer disease when designing the Pats plan of attack for this game.

Which brings us to the weather! The New England offense is better suited to the cold and especially the wet. If it is snowing, Indianapolis will struggle. If not, New England could be watching the rest of the playoffs on TV.

All-in-all, this should be a great game to watch!

Re: Indianapolis at New England

Wonder how much snow will fall in the North East in the days leading up to Indy's visit to NE. Still think the Colts are very dangerous. Interested what the points spread will be ? I feel that the Steelers gameplan to keep Peyton off the field is one team who are able to achieve this. In the meantime, we have the JETS to think about.

(04/05) NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

As follows:

Saturday January 15th
4:30pm New York Jets @ Pittsburgh
8:00pm St Louis @ Atlanta

Sunday January 16th
1:00pm Minnesota @ Philadelphia
4:30pm Indianapolis @ New England

My Predictions FWIW! Im not going to try and guess the scores!!

Pittsburgh over New York
Atlanta over St Louis
Phily over Minnesota
Indy over New England

Which will result in the following games:

Atlanta @ Philadelphia
Indianapolis @ Pittsburgh

Re: NFL Playoffs Week 2

I got ALL my tips wrong this week :eek: (thinking that mostly the home sides would win, and of course I couldn't go against my team, the Broncos!)

This week I will pick (in other words - the KISS OF DEATH):

Pittsburgh
St Louis (for some reason, I'm still not convinced that Atlanta are any good)
Philly
Indy (I hope they win it, now Denver are out)

Just on tipping - what was the result of the NFL tipping competition on BigFooty? Last I saw, Marcuz was leading but I don't think I've seen final results posted...

I'm also a Broncos supporter, but I know they are awful on astroturf. I picked them to lose big to the Colts. It was reality over loyalty. It was also the only game I picked correctly!

My Tips

Pittsburgh over New York
St Louis over Atlanta
Philadelphia over Minnesota
Indianapolis over New England

Since the Bengals aren't in the playoffs (surprise surprise - oh well at least I know how it feels to be a Richmond supporter) I am hoping for an Indianapolis-Philadelphia SB with the Colts the winners.

Here's the opening line for the odds on NFL Playoffs Week 2
1/15 Pittsburgh 9 point favourite over NY Jets - the over/under is 34.5 points
1/15 Atlanta 7 point favourite over St. Louis - the over/under is 48.5 points
1/16 Philadelphia 9.5 point favourite over Minnesota - the over/under is 49 points
1/16 New England 2.5 point favourite over Indianapolis - the over/under is 51 points

With a week to rest, the home teams are almost always favoured in Week 2 of the NFL playoffs.
IMO, which is worth about as much as the paper it could be printed on:
The Jets and Vikings would be a bargain at this stage.
New England being a 2.5 point favourite against the Colts with a week to rest and playing at home really suggests the public is in love with the Colts. That number should be higher - home playoff teams usually get at least 3 points simply for playing at home - but it will probably come down or remain the same up until game time as betters jump on Indianapolis bandwagon.
Weather at game time could be a big factor in the games at New England, Philladelphia, and Pittsburgh. I think betting the over/under at this point does not make sense. The Falcons-Rams game is in a dome where weather cannot be a factor, so the point total of 48.5 seems like it might be a little on the low side.

Thanx for that LoneStar. In the unders & overs, I can see three of the 4 going over quite easily. The great VALUE is with Indy +2.5pt.... although I'd prefer to play NE if the Steelers were to play an opponent in the AFC CC... Other than that... I can see a couple road team upsets. But the Steelers are your Safe bet. :)

Woodson said:
Thanx for that LoneStar. In the unders & overs, I can see three of the 4 going over quite easily. The great VALUE is with Indy +2.5pt.... although I'd prefer to play NE if the Steelers were to play an opponent in the AFC CC... Other than that... I can see a couple road team upsets. But the Steelers are your Safe bet. :)
that's it Woody. keep talking up the steelmen. Pittsburgh should be the favourite for this week's matches. a 15-1 season record, at home, and expectations of already being the AFC champions, it is additional pressure not needed at this stage. Most JETS fans were expecting the season to end last weekend so the deeper we go, the bigger the bonus.

Patriots v Colts
I want to tip Indy this week but i think the NE gameplan coupled with the weather may bring them unstuck. I'd expect the pats to run, run and run some more. keep manning and his high powered offense off the field and let Dillion run it up the middle against a defense that can't stop the run. Freeney will give Brady nightmares but if the left side of the pats OL can give decent enough protection then i think the pats can get home.

Steelers v Jets
I cant see the Jets winning this week although i said the same thing last week and they made a fool outa me. If Big Ben can handle the pressure of his first playoff game they should get things done. The 3-4 defense has been working a treat for the steelers and they will be gunning for Pennington.

Eagles v Vikings
The philly vs Vikings game is very interesting. The eagles D is very aggressive and they love to bring as many guys into the box as possible. They will rush 7 and 8 guys on occasions to pressure Culpepper. That leaves Moss and co in single coverage and if the Vikes OL can hold up Culpepper could take advantage. Although last time the eagles D got the better of that battle. But last time was long ago and TO was tearing it up at the time. No TO means no eagles and im tipping the Vikings in an upset.

Falcons v Rams
I think this may be a blowout. Rams have done well lately but on defense they lack the speed to stop Vick. Crumpler is a danger for the rams as their LB's aren't quick enough to go with him and their small secondary cant go with him. If bulger has a blinder and they give Jackson some more carries then they could win but i dont think they'll even get close.

With WildCard Weekend out of the way, BTW usually 1 road team wins, though I said too woody that I could see 2 road teams winning (StL and MIN, both did win) and two Home teams winning (SD and IND, with SD letting me down)

With the Divisional Play-Offs, again 1 road team wins (I will go with StL), but IND and/or NYJ could surprise for and upset win or even just keep it close.

IND to beat NE by 7-10 points
StL to beat ATL by 10-17 points
PIT to beat NYJ by 17-24 points
PHI to beat MIN by 13-23 points

which will result in
IND @ PIT
StL @ PHI

Of which I would like to see PIT vs STL (replay of SB XIV)
with StL reversing that result

All of which is a "pipe dream"

mcgarnacle said:
that's it Woody. keep talking up the steelmen. Pittsburgh should be the favourite for this week's matches. a 15-1 season record, at home, and expectations of already being the AFC champions, it is additional pressure not needed at this stage. Most JETS fans were expecting the season to end last weekend so the deeper we go, the bigger the bonus.
Additional pressure is about the pre-season favs... the Steelers have made thier own progress and completing the dream journey is what they what to accomplish. We have more going with us without throwing the 'pressure factor' in as we control our own journey. The pre-season favs were Philly...they are the ones UNDER the GUN. I think you're confused with the fact I'm underlining the Steelers strengths and reasons why we will DOMINATE and not the fact that I need to talk the 'under-rated' Steelers up as most of the media haven't really battered an eyelid until very late in the season and either alot of outsiders are so flippin' jealous or not willing to admit they were wrong about the Steelers. Take it anyway you like folks.

Extended Weather Forecasts for Gameday at Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and New England...as of Wednesday Jan. 12th:

Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh v. NY Jets
Jan 15th

Scattered Flurries
Daytime High:29°F
Overnight Low:20°F
Probability of Precipitation: 30%
Wind: From the West Northwest at 10 mph

Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia v. Minnesota
Jan 16th

Partly Cloudy
Daytime High:37°F
Overnight Low:23°F
Probability of Precipitation: 20%
Wind: From the North Northeast at 7 mph

Foxboro, MA
New England v. Indianapolis
Jan 16th

Partly Cloudy
Daytime High:32°F
Overnight Low:18°F
Probability of Precipitation: 20%
Wind: From the North Northeast at 8 mph

Considering that it's mid-winter and these games are all in northeastern US, I'd say it appears for now that weather will not be a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jets @ Steelers.

Key to this game will be the Steeler defense. The Jets got lucky last week against an unusually passive Chargers defence but I don’t expect the same this week. The Steelers have the talent to stop any offense and they’ll keep doing it this week.

When they have the ball, the Steelers will pound away with the Bus. Staley will get plenty of carries, but I’d expect the Bus to pound the defense early, especially in short yardage situations. If the Jets play Abrahams, expect the Steelers to try and run the ball through him. Don’t worry about Big Ben, this kid has a head on his shoulders and won’t make mistakes and give the ball back easily.

Even if the Jets bring their best game into this one and keep it close, the Steelers have the ability to find ways to score when they need to.

Steelers 27 – Jets 17

Rams @ Atlanta

Atlanta will need to bring their A grade game into this one to have any chance. The Rams defense has been patchy all season, but seems to be improving as the season progresses. Atlanta will need to score heavily as the Rams have a potent offence that seems to work best when they need to score points quickly. Holding a touchdown lead and trying to burn the clock is not often a good tactic against the Rams. I expect if the line can give Bulger time, Holt and Bruce will tear apart a talented but inexperienced secondary.

The venue and opposition won’t hold any fears for the Rams and will be surprised if they can’t post 30 plus points in this game. If they do, it will be season over for the Falcons.

Rams 35 – Falcons 20

Vikings @ Eagles

I’m surprised how quickly people of jumped off the Eagles. The Vikings are a brittle team and are easily “got” at. The Eagles will be waiting for them and still have the defence to shut them down. Offensively the loss of Owens is a problem, but they still have the weapons to score against a suss Vikings defense.

Sure the Vikings can score points against most defenses, but they won’t score heavily against the Eagles. Questions is whether they can hold the Eagles offense, even without Owens. My guess is they can’t, and McNabb will still find a way to score against one of the NFL’s worst pass defences.

Eagles 27 – Vikings 21

Colts @ Patriots

The glaring match up problem for the Patriots is covering all the Indy receiving options. The Pats are struggling for options against three quality receivers and if it was any other coach (or team) you’d just about write off their chances. But the Pat’s are a wily lot, and the frozen mud can be tricky, so you write them off at your peril.

But for me, Brady hasn’t been hot for a while and the Pat’s offense is only so-so atm. Unless they can score 4 touchdowns I think they’ll struggle to match the Colts scoring ability – even in the frozen mud.

Colts 31 – Patroits 23

Huge raps on the Rams JD. Martz is a low percentages gambler who somehow finds ways to win but this time he better coach smarter than Jim Mora Jnr who has quality running game weapons with Duckett & Dunn capable of hurting the Rams on the clock and then there's Vick. The Rams would need to score 30+ to have any chance.

My pick: Atlanta 38-28

The Colts haven't beaten the Pats in five consectative games. I think this game will snap the losing streak as the Pats secondary will be severely streatched by the Colts weapons of mass destruction.

My pick : Indy 35-21

I recall watching the Eagles - Vikings clash earlier in the campaign and felt that the Vikings had many chances to win, heck Culpepper got stripped on the one yard line and they didn't have RB Bennett playing. The Eagles still have options and as I questioned the Vikings D all season, last weeks upset makes this game closer match up. I'll stick my head out for an upset here.

My pick : Minnesota 31-28

Being aware that the Steelers were outplayed for most of the first half vs the Jets and Roethlisberger had a tough game, I expect the inclusion of Burress this time around will give us that edge. I don't need to repeat what I've already said.

My pick : Pittsburgh 31-10

Woodson said:
Huge raps on the Rams JD. Martz is a low percentages gambler who somehow finds ways to win but this time he better coach smarter than Jim Mora Jnr who has quality running game weapons with Duckett & Dunn capable of hurting the Rams on the clock and then there's Vick. The Rams would need to score 30+ to have any chance.
Indeed Woodson, and they will.

I don't really rate the Rams, christ had they not had the advantage of the three way tie they wouldn't be the 8-8 team in the playoffs - need I remind everyone that the Saints would be in on the head to head rule - that and that bloody Jets kicker who's name I refuse to repeat. Sorry but the therapy is helping me get over that one.

The Rams IMO are probably the worst matchup for the Falcons. The Rams will love the conditions, and have plenty of plenty of players that won't blink at playoffs conditions. The same can't be said for Atlanta. The inexperience of their corners and safeties against the likes of Holt and Bruce leads me to think the Rams will score well against the Falcons defense. But the Falcons defense has surprised me all year and they might win the battle at the line and take the receivers out of the equation. Sure the Falcons have a pretty complete running game, but how effective is it without a passing game? If the Rams get points on the board early, it will be interesting to see how Vick handles the pressure. I'm betting he'll start to turn the ball over.

Favourites all the way.

GO EAGLES

mcgarnacle said:
no TO, no Philly? 0-2 at the start of the year without TO, he returns and Philly ravage the NFC.

litmus test this weekend.

Gotta agree mcgarnacle. The Eagles ain't a SB threat now.

So the winner of Falcons & Rams has a great chance to represent the NFC. :eek: I admit I had my doubts on Atlanta doing much in the play-offs a month ago and here I am stating that they are good as anyone in the NFC to reach the SB. Would be embarrassing for the NFL >> St Louis, the first team to not have a winning record, not only qualify for the play-offs but reach the SB and god forbid !!! Win it :eek: Would really impress JD !!

Btw...BIG BEN is donating his pay check this week to the Tsunami Relief.

Here are my picks -

Rams over the Falcons 34 - 24
Colts over the Pats 27 - 23
Steelers over the Jets 28 - 17
Eagles over the Vikings 34 - 28

The bearded St Kilda back pocket isn't the only one not happy about the lambs in the playoffs, trust me. There was no team that wanted to face the Saints in the playoffs but thanks to the poxy 3 way tie breaker rules no one had to. No team in the NFC has a snowballs hope in hell for the SB. Last year at least I could get on the cats for Jake, this year I'm kinda meh. At least if the falqueens get there it'll keep up the NFC south record, but I hate the bastards. FWIW, my picks this week are:
Colts over the Pats - the Manning family deserve some success, wouldn't mind Peyton winning the whole lot.
Steelers over Jets EASY.
Eagles over Viqueens - It wouldn't be right if the Eagles didn't lose the NFC championship game against someone.
Atlanta over lambs - Worst team to win a playoff game ever, lambs to the slaughter here. (Clutching at straws) - Vick is Aaron Brooks' cousin go NFC south!

Still in morning after last weeks shocking defencive performance in the first half. Always hard winning post-season games giving up a 17 point lead.(Shut up your-not-me - we all know about bills-oilers)

Steelers 17-10 (Won't be a shoot out. both teams do have good defences but in the cold, prefer to be on pittsburghs bus than on shermans bus.)

Falcons 31-14 (Vick to open up early and put it out of the rams reach early.)

Colts 31-24 (Can't see the patriots offence being able to go with peyton scoring ability. He wont throw the picks that he did in last years game.)

Vikings 21-13 (Don't care- don't want either team to win. Go Falcons. Daunte has more options open to him than Donovan, that's all i'm basing it on)

I had to go to New England on business last couple of days and watched local TV out of Boston. It seems the Patriots have left their field @ Gilette Stadium uncovered all week to get soaked by rain and snow...and it's snowed at least twice. The weather was not that cold...about 10 C..so the hope is to make it a sloppy paddock and slow down the Colts. May be a strategic move BUT a little classless IMO.

In an effort to improve on the 1-3 effort of last weekend, here are my prognostications:

Steelers 24 - Jets 16
Falcons 31 - Rams 17
Eagles 24 - Vikings 10
Colts 34 - Patriots 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back