2005 additions ???

Remove this Banner Ad

jaybee

Rookie
Oct 3, 2003
Which players or what type of players do we need to recruit in the off season to improve out list considerable, so we become a serious top 8 challenger???

a young ruckman but who????????? any out of contract?????????We nearly lost friday night without one. deluca suited better up forward, not a ruckman. mott is crap. french im beggining to like but he's injured, we need a back up.

another couple of midfielders (1 in and under player, like jonno but quicker and 1 pacey midfielder)

a kpp, to hold down chb. a grahem polak type

Polak is out of contract at the end of the season but every club will be after him. Is he actually from WA because West Coast have been the team named to be talking to him? Unless he's a Victorian I can't see us getting him.

Maybe we should think about Brisbane for a ruckmen. If McDonald, Charman and Keating all get fit they can hardly keep all 3 ruckman happy can they?

Originally posted by Calgary's_Cup
Polak is out of contract at the end of the season but every club will be after him. Is he actually from WA because West Coast have been the team named to be talking to him? Unless he's a Victorian I can't see us getting him.

Maybe we should think about Brisbane for a ruckmen. If McDonald, Charman and Keating all get fit they can hardly keep all 3 ruckman happy can they?

yeah hes from WA, only melbourne club could be the hawkes, hes good mates with croad, ud need pick 1 or 2 to get him.

as for ruckman, i think teams with 3 ruckman, ie freo or melbourne, maybe one of the kangaroos hale or mcintosh etc.

it is most important to have a ruckman ... had we had a jeff white we would have comfortably won on friday night, everitt almost became the difference.

I doubt Leigh Mathews would EVER trade a ruckmen

We need a Centre Half forward. Lance is not the solution - he needs to be traded or else he'll end up being the next Nick Holland.

I don't think the Brisbane ruckmen are a worthwhile proposition... Keating is a first-class player but keeps breaking down, McDonald is also a gun but is built like a maple leaf and is always injured. We could maybe target Cox from West Coast or Fraser from Collingwood.

Originally posted by Snoozer
I don't think the Brisbane ruckmen are a worthwhile proposition... Keating is a first-class player but keeps breaking down, McDonald is also a gun but is built like a maple leaf and is always injured. We could maybe target Cox from West Coast or Fraser from Collingwood.

Either that or persist with French & draft someone like Fabian Deluca.
If French can get up & running we have greater immediate concerns - ie. Quality KP defender. Another gun midfielder.

Apparently this upcoming draft has several good talls / rucks & although the wait is generally long in terms of getting reward for effort on these type of players, unless we can pickup another steal in the PSD (unlikely) we may be better off biting the bullet & developing our own with the best that is available in the draft.

Unfortunately this tends to be a gamble - especially with big blokes, but the wraps on some of these young fellas are huge.

This is supposably a very good draft. (upcoming).

Originally posted by Free Willy
Either that or persist with French & draft someone like Fabian Deluca.
If French can get up & running we have greater immediate concerns - ie. Quality KP defender. Another gun midfielder.

Apparently this upcoming draft has several good talls / rucks & although the wait is generally long in terms of getting reward for effort on these type of players, unless we can pickup another steal in the PSD (unlikely) we may be better off biting the bullet & developing our own with the best that is available in the draft.

Unfortunately this tends to be a gamble - especially with big blokes, but the wraps on some of these young fellas are huge.

This is supposably a very good draft. (upcoming).

heard about fabian ... whats his dimensions, any info about him???

is he as tall or taller than his bro??

cheers

Fabian is supposably one of the top big men running around in the TAC.
He is a ruckman & touted as a definite first round / top 10 pick.

deledio, is the likely pick 1 - will be a super star & a shame that his dad only played 1 game for Carlton.
Another Matt lloyd type of dissapointment for the Blues.

Rhyce Shaw to Carlton will strengthen our backline and he's had premership experience, and will more than likely thrive at our club. Collingwood are clueless, but he's the type of scrappy, effective backman we need to bottle teams up in the third quarter.

Originally posted by legendtofski
Rhyce Shaw to Carlton will strengthen our backline and he's had premership experience, and will more than likely thrive at our club. Collingwood are clueless, but he's the type of scrappy, effective backman we need to bottle teams up in the third quarter.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGG.

Steve Mckee has had Premiership experience as well.....:eek:

We need 1 or 2 KP players & another quality midfielder (young).

I think we have our share of quality mid size flankers & we sure as hell dont need R.Shaw cause he's a non quality mid size W anker !!
We are back in the draft & will not need to replicate the gambles that we had to take over the last year or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R.Shaw, he seems like a liability at Collingwood.

Would he be a liability at Carlton? Who knows, you would have to try and find out.

if Rhyce Shaw is trased to carlton i will never follow football again. he is a joke and the only reason he is still on an afl list is beause of his name.

need we be reminded of o'reily martyn, gallagher..... this could become a very long list

I think that unless we can snare a top liner KP player through a trade we are better just using the draft & our first round pick to select one & hang in there.

Thornton & Norman will be good, but are probably at least 2 years off having the right shape to stand up against the monsters of the competition.

If we were to get a "average" player of the right size - eg a Quentin Lynch, I'd hate to see us give up a decent pick or player to make it happen.

In retrospect its a shame we couldnt lever beumont for a bigger bodied player in last years trade period.

Our top 3 piorities are;
*KP backman of size
*Ruck
*Another quality midfielder - with pace.

With 2 picks in the top 20 this year & what shapes as a good draft, we will be able to further improve our list.

I just hope we dont keep on trying to recruit CHF's as I think we have the position under control.
To be fair to Livingston he was drafted as a forward & our efforts to change him to a backman seem to be fruitless.

I am a great believer in leaving positions that are working, leave it alone, and with our forward line being one of our strengths and Whitnall playing really well and Fev. killing the full backs our efforts must be on a young tall mobile ruckman and a top CHB or FB. Both would be terrific. A Ratten type "in and under" player would be an advantage.
To trade Whitnall would leave a big gap in our CHF and we have no one good enough to fill that position. Whitnall at 24 years is a must and cannot see Pagan allowing him to be traded.

Re: Re: 2005 additions ???

Originally posted by Phantom4
I am a great believer in leaving positions that are working, leave it alone, and with our forward line being one of our strengths and Whitnall playing really well and Fev. killing the full backs our efforts must be on a young tall mobile ruckman and a top CHB or FB. Both would be terrific. A Ratten type "in and under" player would be an advantage.
To trade Whitnall would leave a big gap in our CHF and we have no one good enough to fill that position. Whitnall at 24 years is a must and cannot see Pagan allowing him to be traded.

Spot on.

I think Hulme can be that in& under player - but another pacy / creative & skillful onballer would be great as well.

trades

G'day Carltonites and congratulations about your improvement this year.

Since y'all are after a creative/hard at it midfielder and Geelong needs a target at CHF would you (as proxies for Denis Pagan) consider Corey Enright + 2nd round pick for Whitnall?

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back