Universal Love 2005 Premiers - 14 years ago today...

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember just having this sense of destiny that we were going to win it all after that Semi Final against Geelong
That performance by Nick Davis has to be the best solo effort that I've ever seen. Excluding grand finals, I put that down as our best win and best quarter, ever. Nearly had a heart attack watching that last quarter.

I think I mentioned in another thread but Buchanan will always be the Norm Smith medalist in this game for me.

His last quarter was huge!

I'm watching the highlights of the 2005 season at the moment. It's amazing how quickly you forget about the contributions of some of the lesser known players at the time such as; Matthews, Crouch, McVeigh, Buchanan, Schneider, LRT, Vogels, Dempster, Bevan, Craig Bolton, et al.

Having had a good look at Halls love tap on McGuire. There was nothing in it. In hindsight, why it was such a big deal is beyond me. He used very little force. What made it look bad was McGuire dropping like a bag of shite.

Don't forget the umpires were all over St Kilda's dick that game. It took Roos to get Bazza to get into Mclaren and his other cronies at 3 quarter time to give us a fair go in the last quarter.
For some reason McLaren hated us. Glad to see the back of that pr1ck.

It was something I never thought I’d see after the longtime hardship. 1996 offered a glimmer, actually, it offered more than 2005 as that team was a marvelous team with a few legends of not only the club, but of the game. David King is a campaigner...ruined it for everyone and now he’s ruined my beautiful post the ******* stop showing, head kicking, annoying and now fat *! You killed Obi!

Anyway, yeah...good year.

It was something I never thought I’d see after the longtime hardship. 1996 offered a glimmer, actually, it offered more than 2005 as that team was a marvelous team with a few legends of not only the club, but of the game. David King is a campaigner...ruined it for everyone and now he’s ruined my beautiful post the ******* stop showing, head kicking, annoying and now fat fu**! You killed Obi!

Anyway, yeah...good year.
David King? Are you referring g to his knee slide into Craig O'Briens scone? We were ripped off then.

I did feel a bit sad when we had to let Schneider go. Was strange seeing him in a St Kilda jersey.
Yep. Schneiderman was my fav at the time too... I was devastated. I'm happy I got to be there for his final game ever, which was against us at Etihad. He & Dempster both got another chance at a premiership so things did fall into place for them quite nicely. Just a shame they couldn't quite drag that side over the line.

I remember after the Saints game i rushed over with RW from the Aussie rules club in Kings Cross (RIP) to the SCG to line up for Grand Final tickets. Camping overnight in the cold and wet till 9am or so the next day to secure tickets for the big dance. I remember the buzz around that night waiting in anticipation of possible destiny the next week, lot's of singing and energy even if it was cold, wet and miserable. A few people getting pizzas delivered etc. What an archaic system it was back then but thank fu** it was worth it in the end.

The entire month of September that year was crazy. I was actually saving up to go overseas at the end of the year and was doing extra shifts at work on top of studying and actually remember going in to work on the Saturday morning after the prelim. The grand final put a big dent in my wallet lol but don’t think I’ll ever forget it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back