Draft Review 2005 - Redo the 2005 Draft

gym4life

Norm Smith Medallist
Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL Pokemon is Life
May 22, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
No, it's debatable - and also a completely ridiculous way to compare the two.
If Kennedy can get another couple of colemans and get to 800 goals he would have to be in the conversation.its unlikely for him to get to 800 but he'll get 20 against your mob so that will help.

If Kennedy can get another couple of colemans and get to 800 goals he would have to be in the conversation.its unlikely for him to get to 800 but he'll get 20 against your mob so that will help.

Oh sure, and if Adam Cooney can grab another two Brownlows I reckon he'll have Ablett covered as a player.

gym4life

Norm Smith Medallist
May 22, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh sure, and if Adam Cooney can grab another two Brownlows I reckon he'll have Ablett covered as a player.
Hence why I included the 800 goals part.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

From years 2010 - 2015 Pendlebury was a top 5 player in the comp. Kennedy is starting from a long way back.

gym4life

Norm Smith Medallist
May 22, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
So the coleman = the best forward in the comp?

Cummings >>>>> Carey, Lockett & Lloyd in 99??
No but he was easily the best forward in the Comp last year. Who do you think was better?

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I'll be back at the end of this year. The fact is Kennedy has reached the top, something which pendles will never do.

Apologies for the low-blow, but Pendlebury has reached the top and starred in doing so.

Kennedy embarrassed himself when it counted the very most.

Pendlebury has been the cream of this draft for several years, it's not even debatable. Kennedy would be the stand out pick at number #2 though, in my opinion.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
No but he was easily the best forward in the Comp last year. Who do you think was better?

He had a very good year. However we are not really in an era of great power forwards.

Eddie Betts was runner up in the Coleman. Riewoldt and Tex played further up the ground and Buddy missed a lot of the year.

With Hogan, Cameron, Daniher, Lynch, Pattern, McCartin, Schache and Boyd coming we maybe heading back to the glory days of the power forward.

He had a very good year. However we are not really in an era of great power forwards.

Eddie Betts was runner up in the Coleman. Riewoldt and Tex played further up the ground and Buddy missed a lot of the year.

With Hogan, Cameron, Daniher, Lynch, Pattern, McCartin, Schache and Boyd coming we maybe heading back to the glory days of the power forward.

Roughead also went at 20 touches a game and kicked 50 goals.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
The biggest question of the 2005 draft is... who the **** is Beau Dowler??? Taken at pick 6 by the Hawks.

Straight shooting lead-up FF who shattered his pelvis (car accident) leading up to the draft. Hawks rolled the dice, and unfortunately it didn't pay off. He plays similar to how Kennedy plays, however he was always quite slim.

He played some games but never looked 100% confident in his body. It also didn't help that by the time he was getting games Frankin and Roughead (also had Williams) had well and truly established themselves, so Beau was playing off the half-back and was moved around often. He never got to settle in one position.

Hawthorn rolled the dice a few times with draft selections back then - Dowler, Muston and Bailey.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Straight shooting lead-up FF who shattered his pelvis (car accident) leading up to the draft. Hawks rolled the dice, and unfortunately it didn't pay off. He plays similar to how Kennedy plays, however he was always quite slim.

He played some games but never looked 100% confident in his body. It also didn't help that by the time he was getting games Frankin and Roughead (also had Williams) had well and truly established themselves, so Beau was playing off the half-back and was moved around often. He never got to settle in one position.

Hawthorn rolled the dice a few times with draft selections back then - Dowler, Muston and Bailey.

There's no doubt that both of Ellis & Dowler were stand-out juniors...I was rubbing my hands together with glee when we secured them both, on the back of their junior careers.

Unfortunately for Dowler, that car accident did more than shatter his pelvis, it completely shattered his confidence as well....He never recovered psychologically....And Ellis had injury after injury & seemed incapable of developing his body/musculature.

You can't blame the Pelican for those 2 selections....I'd have gone the exact same way....Just the luck of the draw sometimes.

As per my original reply. Even if you make it 15 like you said. It's just a harsh comment given he'd easily be in the top half of both lists.

For context sake, I didn't set the time frame. I was rather bemused by the posters comment that he was the 'best of the recent draftees'. A strange comment, because the poster in question seemed to stop 'recent' at Marc Murphy (because going back any further made for some sobering comparisons). I sort of (rather cheekily) did the same thing by saying fifteen, because going back another year would give you Josh Fraser.

I'm happy to concede I was being harsh on the 'worst' comment. I was being a little sly with the qualifiers (such as saying 'ignoring the Melbourne/Carlton picks') etc. But I'd add the comment that my saying 'worst' is just as bad as saying he's the 'best'.

Murphy is a good player. He was actually in that sort of top ten midfielders bracket for a year. But he is quite clearly poorer than the five number one picks that came before him (happy to debate Cooney as an exception).

You just don't quit do you, i've explained myself, you're an idiot.

AND
Adam Cooney would be redraft below Waters, Mundy and arguably Jed Adcock,

There is no way in the world Cooney would
be picked below Waters and Adcock. Ridiculous call

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
1 Pendles
2 Kennedy WCE
3 Hurn
4 Priddis
5 Ryder
6 Murphy
7 Jones
8 Birchall
9 Higgins
10 Swallow
11 Thomas
12 Vince
13 Douglas
14 Varcoe
15 Patful
16 Stokes
17 Carlisle
18 Ibbotson
19 Ellis
20 Clark
Kieren Jack has had a better career than at least half the players on that list.

Back