Draft Review 2005 - Redo the 2005 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn I'm usually good at catching those

All good.

There'd be a few that'd catch people off guard.

E.g:

Jason Porplyzia. (2002 draft period originally)
Matthew Suckling. (2006.)

In the 2007 thread, you've correctly placed Ed Curnow in it.

imagerender

or

imagerender

Which one is the better fit for cover photo?

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Josh J. Kennedy
3. Marc Murphy
4. Matt Priddis
5. Patrick Ryder
6. Nathan Jones
7. Shannon Hurn
8. Kieren Jack
9. Shaun Higgins
10. Grant Birchall
11. Dale Thomas
12. Andrew Swallow
13. Bernie Vince
14. Matthew Stokes
15. Ben McGlynn
16. Joel Patfull
17. Richard Douglas
18. Travis Varcoe
19. Sam Gilbert
20. Jason Porplyzia
21. Alan Toovey
22. Paul Duffield
23. Mitch Clark
24. Xavier Ellis
25. Garrick Ibbotson

Good effort & great to see Duffield in there.
He would have absolutely thrived in today’s game with its emphasis on attacking from half back.
Duff was a bit ahead of his time with willingness to take a bounce or 2 & attack down the middle & he was the best I’ve seen at kicking the ball in after a behind. Would consistently spot the most attacking option & hit them on the tit over 40-50M.

Perhaps the zones are tougher now but it feels like ages since I’ve seen a player like him who almost always too the high risk high reward kick. He’d kill it with the play on rule now.

Loved getting forward for a goal too.

I think there are a few players I’d prefer over Priddis from your list - Hurn, Ryder, Daisy, maybe Higgins. Other than that it’s excellent.

Marc Murphy was over rated

One truly elite season in 2011 but pretty average there after
2011 was definitely his best year, but I think people actually underrate him because of his last couple of years, was very good for a long time, injuries just stopped him from getting back to 2011 good.

Screenshot_20230817-232219.png

Most of these players have very long since been sent to the glue factory. As a Hawthorn fan, I openly acknowledge that Xavier Ellis (and Daisy) has been a porcine C-grade media gimmick for many years now.

And then there's Pendles... winning flags, finishing top 5 in the B&F, and getting a Norm Smith vote. Hats off. There can be zero doubt that he's the grand champion of this draft class.

Re: 2005 Afl draft Re-Done

definitely birch ahead of ellis at the moment.
birchall has established himself as an automatic selection - smart, well-built, versatile, and quite durable. also some scope for further development of style and role.
if you were doing the draft again now, you could be quite confident that birchall will play 200 games, and be one of the better players in most teams over that journey. a bird in the hand...
Also you're welcome on the above from 2008, when eyebrows were raised by some people putting Birchall ahead of Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back