2006 GF Day: Where were you?

Discussion in 'West Coast Eagles' started by QS, May 13, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Ambrose Burnside

Ambrose Burnside Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Special Agent Utah

Special Agent Utah Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bulls/Bears Texas Rangers
    Hahahaha surely that can't happen

wadistance likes this.
  3. russ

russ Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
    At the 'G of course - mending a broken heart after being there in 05 as well.

4. Here2tellyouwhy

Here2tellyouwhy SA GREAT

West Coast
    Other teams:
    West Coast Eagles
    And ask either one of them if they would take the flag and the careers they have had and they would say yes every time.
    It really is an amazing effort to just make it on an AFL list. To play 100 games and win a flag is something special.

We have such a good record with SA lads at West Coast

Keys and KamakazeSalami like this.
  5. getgaff

getgaff Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
    At home on the edge of my seat.

Siren sounded and I just bawled. Couldn't believe we'd won

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    We were there in 2005 as well. Walked back into the city along the Yarra with my husband and my brother, and we were so absolutely gutted it was like some had died. . A friend sent me a text "have you drowned your sorrows yet?" ... looked at brother and husband, sent back "not yet, but i will shove them both into the Yarra if they say another word."

russ likes this.
  7. Mighty Eagles

Mighty Eagles Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    East Perth
    At my mates place. Had one drink throughout the game, I wanted to remember it.

Saved my celebrations for my schoolies a month later.

8. Biggie

Biggie Bigfooty Pedagogue

West Coast
    Other teams:
    East Side Hawks
    At home with my now ex wife.

I went OFF when that siren blew, causing said ex to ask me to quieten down as my babies were sleeping ( 6 month old and nearly 2 yr old)

I YELLED LOUDER. AND LOUDER. AND RAN OUT THE FRONT YELLING.

Good times

Keys likes this.
  9. ChampRevesby

ChampRevesby Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Royals, Wildcats, Warriors
    1992 and 1994, Where were you?

1992 watched it my Nans place with the folks, historic day, Matera was spectacular.
    1994 watched it with a few high school mates at home. Remember running into the street chanting Eagles, Eagles about 5 minutes before the siren.

10. Longwthebreeze

Longwthebreeze Senior List

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Chelsea
    06- Watched it in Dublin. Aussie pub could only show a delayed start, about an hour behind, from pub opening 9am. Couldnt sleep, up early, cuppla froffies to settle the nerves, pub stuffed up the recording and started the game 10mins in?!@# The fact we were up 18-0 was a bonus! With 5mins to go in the game, a few lads were trying to engage me in smart arse conversation and i knew they knew the result. Missus heard them talking about the score. They got the hint when i, crazy eyed and spittle flying, told them to get the **** away from me or id throw them over the balcony! So stressful that finish!! Muppets!
    Anyway, pure bliss after that, pub crawled around Dublin & Temple Bar, talking to anyone that would listen, so proud!! Good craic aye

On SM-G610F using BigFooty.com mobile app

2006_Eagles and donpyke92 like this.
  11. Black JuJu

Black JuJu Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    2006 - Sitting in the pocket, where Armstrong kicked his late goal.

When that happened the crowd went up and I went to move but my legs didn't work because I was stressed out of my mind.

Cost me a small fortune....totally worth it.

1994 - At home - watched the game with my family. Was a fun day. My mum gave us all those 'roll out whistle things' (you know what I mean) at 3 quarter time but I got stroppy and wouldn't let anyone celebrate until the final siren.

1992 - On a scout camp in Dongara. The adults were watching the game on a small black and white TV and I was one of the only kids allowed to come in and watch it. I remember sitting quietly most of it, jumping around when we won. We then had Milo which was made with water instead of milk, first time I'd had that - gross.

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 2:12 PM

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. The_Eagles

The_Eagles Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    australia
    2006 I was row A behind the goals punt road end, when we won I looked "stinger" stenglein in the eye and he came over and hi fived and I remember ruffling the hair of a few like waters and lynchy

Keys likes this.
  13. Magnum27

Magnum27 Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other teams:
    WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
    Punt rd end forward pocket, first ever AFL grand final i had been to, i'm pretty reserved at the footy, don't yell and scream. I left the ground day that day hoarse. Was a great day .

14. MWPP

MWPP Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other teams:
    I was there , but can't believe it was almost 11 years ago
    Until the Richmond 2015 game , it was the only time I'd ever seen us win at the G

15. wadistance

wadistance Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Borussia Dortmund, Boston Celtics
    not far from the final boundary throw in - got some good tickets from a friend of a friend who owned an AFL store

16. r3dwyn2810

r3dwyn2810 Draftee

West Coast
    Other teams:
    2006_Eagles likes this.
  17. Dylan82

Dylan82 Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Cardiff City
    I remember the 1991 final as a child and how unfair it seemed to finish top but then play the final at the opponent's home ground just because the MCG was unavailable. It burned into me the colloquial inequity of this competition that remains to this day.

1992 I fondly remember as revenge in an us vs them battle. "Matera sets sail for home" would be said many times in the backyard after that day.

1994 the whole family had converged to watch the game. It was a flogging, everyone was happy and the parents were all getting drunk, kicking footballs all over the place. In retrospect it probably was the last time the family got together like that.

2005 I was in Brisbane, living within sight of the Gabba. Went to the Chalk nearby to watch the game. About 50-50 Swans and Eagles supporters, great banter between them as well. I remember feeling like the floor had imploded when Barry took that mark. I had taken my girlfriend, a Bundaberg native who had next to no knowledge of AFL at all. So there I was crying with a crowd of strangers and she was standing, looking at me like I had some type of psychological dysfunction.

2006 was at the Chalk again. The smother-handball-shepherd-goal. Embley winning 1v1 when it was so close to being lost. I remember screaming for the siren in the last quarter so many times. Then the joy, tears, hugs, raptures of delirium. The girlfriend was there again. We celebrated and drank, somehow managed not to get killed crossing Vulture St, got home home and had sex in the kitchen. A good day that.

2015 was from the confines of suburbia, Brisbane. I'm sure the neighbors are convinced that I am some kind of psychopathic monster after spending hours screaming expletives at the television watching everything go wrong in a final. The kids were crying because I was crying, asking Mummy why Daddy was crying. Feeling numb through the last quarter knowing the game is already lost. I remember asking the wife (formerly the girlfriend above) if she could ease the pain. She laughed, "Not on your life after today's effort". Not a good day that.

donpyke92 likes this.
  18. 2006_Eagles

2006_Eagles Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
    At a little place called the MCG

19. 2006_Eagles

2006_Eagles Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Pelicans, Perf Wildcats