2006 Grand Final: Have you watched the replay yet?

Watched a replay of the 2006 Grannie yet?

• Yes. 0-2 years after 2006.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Yes. 3-4 years after 2006.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Yes. 5-6 years after 2006.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Yes. Immediately following the 2012 Grannie. It soothed the pain.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • No. I still cannot bring myself to watch it.

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

bloodsbigot

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm curious as to whether fellow swans supporters in this forum have watched a replay of the 2006 Grand Final yet and whether the 2012 Grand Final victory has prompted anyone to watch it as it has soothed the pain of the defeat 7 years ago.

For me, after the joy of 2012, I have become rather positive about past losses and tend to look back and reflect and rub my hands together at the prospect of the chance of going back-to-back once again.:) Despite the heartbreak, there are some very good swans moments in that particular Grand Final, namely the Goodes goal in the opening moments of the final quarter.

I haven't seen it since but last year has certainly dulled the pain quite a bit. For most of 2007 I kept thinking to myself what could be worse than losing a GF by a point but luckily Port showed later that year it could have been a hell of a lot worse :p

I went to both 05 and 06 and even though it ended closely I just never got the feeling we would win the game. To be honest we would have stolen it if we did as West Coast where the better side and probably should have had the game sewn up at half time. In 05, even after being 2 goals down half way through the last quarter, I knew we could still win it. I don't think that either team deserved to lose two in a row.

I've watched 96 a few times, after not playing finals for quite a while I was just happy to reach a Grand Final and North were always going to win that one. If 06 was on the Grand Final marathon I would probably watch it again.

Somehow I blame 06 on Heath Grundy. Too many mistakes from him:D

Seriously, being at the game and watching the last few minutes when we were 1 point down, at no stage did we really look like getting close to scoring a point to get a draw, let alone a goal to win. West Coast had the control. We had our chance early in the last quarter and let it slip. I don't think of it as one that got away. 1996 I do considering the lead we jumped out to early in the second quarter when Kelly had the ball running into the 50, he decided to pass to Lockett rather than go for goal. The kick to Lockett was short and from 24 points up and a chance to go 30 up, North grabbed the missed pass and took it right up the other end for a goal to cut the margin to 18 points and start their run. That kick from Kelly was a missed opportunity. I can't watch beyond just before that kick.

Somehow I blame 06 on Heath Grundy. Too many mistakes from him:D

Seriously, being at the game and watching the last few minutes when we were 1 point down, at no stage did we really look like getting close to scoring a point to get a draw, let alone a goal to win. West Coast had the control. We had our chance early in the last quarter and let it slip. I don't think of it as one that got away. 1996 I do considering the lead we jumped out to early in the second quarter when Kelly had the ball running into the 50, he decided to pass to Lockett rather than go for goal. The kick to Lockett was short and from 24 points up and a chance to go 30 up, North grabbed the missed pass and took it right up the other end for a goal to cut the margin to 18 points and start their run. That kick from Kelly was a missed opportunity. I can't watch beyond just before that kick.

As heartbreaking as 2006 was... 1996 will always be worse for me. To this day I still haven't seen it, nor do I plan to. :( My only memory from that game was Lockett pushing Shannon Grant (I think) out of the way to snap a goal. I found that highly amusing at the time.

I remember Ted running down two eagles players from behind twice in 2006. That was the moment I became a fan of his. Can't remember him kicking it out on the full though. The whole last quarter seems like a blur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i just watched the last 10 minutes of the game. i actually think you had enough time to claw back at the end. the siren never seemed to go. the game seemed to go 4 mins longer than it should. that flavors the side behind as they want to play...the side in front wants to stop.

Ah Richards in those dying moments when he kicked it OOB on the full :(

In fairness, he and Goodes were pretty much responsible for dragging us back into the contest up until that point.

I've seen bits and pieces on fox footy but never watched the full thing or the siren/celebrations.

Haven't watched 2006, saw some of 1996 last year when it was on Channel 7 prior to a Sunday game, still didn't enjoy it!!

In fairness, he and Goodes were pretty much responsible for dragging us back into the contest up until that point.

I've seen bits and pieces on fox footy but never watched the full thing or the siren/celebrations.

Same as me.

Throw Kirk in that mix as well. He was brilliant in the middle. We just needed something out of Hall or Jolly...anything...and we would have won it.

I have seen Goodes kick that goal at the very start of the fourth many, many times though. I love that footage. Anthony Hudson at his best.

Don't take this the wrong way, buit why is contest as a word used so much these days. It was always a match or a game. Even heard Allan Border talking about the next contest and not the next test.

i just watched Darren Jollys match highlights

1897123378_f107a42779_z.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way, buit why is contest as a word used so much these days. It was always a match or a game. Even heard Allan Border talking about the next contest and not the next test.

No offense taken. No idea why it's so common.

The funny thing is, I don't think I've ever said "contest" instead of "game" or "match" in real life and wouldn't have even realised I'd just written it had you not pointed it out.

I'm going to go back through my other 11,000 posts and find out what else I've missed.

Yep watched it a few times. And 96.

Watched 2005 and especially 2012 a lot more.

Weird I know but 2012 just seemed sweeter than 2005 for me although 2005 broke a drought. Can't explain it /shrug

Druggies my arse, not one of our players ever tested positive to drugs. And we should have won 05 because tadhg kennelly was holding ashley sampi's jumper in that leo barry mark contest, should have been kick after siren.
No one said you tested positive... You're still just upset we beat your GF score by 3 extra points.

Havn't watched a replay and don't plan on doing it until we win another one. I remember being so upset after 1996 that we'd let that lead go. 2006 was less devestating as only a year earlier we'd lifted the cup. I told myself a couple of years ago to give it a decade. So 2016 I'll give it a look and hopefully by then I'll also watch the next couple of premierships as well as 2012.

Back