ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
The random thoughts one has before falling asleep. 2006 grand final team vs 2018 grand final team. Ultimately, who wins? Different styles of play and all aside, lets break down the 22 on the respective days.

The midfields;
Cousins, Judd, Kerr, R. Jones, Cox, Seaby, Braun, Fletcher, Chick (rotation), Embley, Stenglein
Vs
Shuey, Yeo, Lycett, Vardy, Masten, Sheed, Hutchings, Redden

That 2006 midfield is a clear winner. Clesrneces for days.

The forward line;
Armstrong, Lynch, Hansen, Hunter (rotation). The rest of our forward line was made up of midfield rotations.
Vs
Lecras, Kennedy, Rioli, Ryan, Venables, Darling, Cripps

This time 2018 by so much it isn't funny.

So with that out of the way, the real difference, in my opinion, comes down to the defences. The toughest to seperate out of the two teams.

Wirrpanda, Glass, B. Jones, Selwood, Banfield, Waters, Butler
Vs
Cole, Duggan, Jetta, McGovern, Schofield, Barrass, Hurn

Tough to seperate. Glass was a one on one beast, easily the best of the players here. McGovern however is the intercept beast. A result of zone defences rather than one on ones everywhere in Glass' day. As good as Schofield and Barrass were, Glass has them covered. Bones, Wirrpanda, Waters, Selwood & Butler vs Jetta, Cole, Duggan & Hurn is tough. Wirra was more damaging than anyone else here with his run, but Hurn's kicking is miles ahead of the rest. Selwood was playing shut down roles more often than not. Banfield was probably the equivalent to a loose man, so it comes down to the youngsters. Cole & Duggan vs Bones, Waters & Butler (remember, this is their 2006 form, not career form).

Who wins? Game styles have changed but it's not like it's 1992 vs 2018. A 2006 game style could still hold up in today's world, just less effectively. I had a hard time deciding, but ultimately our 2018 forward line is just so much better than 2006. I mean, Fletcher was named in the forward pocket on the team sheet.

I think 2018 would win.

2006 would dominate it out of the middle but once they went forward they would struggle to score. Our 2006 forward line was very ordinary while our 2018 backline is one of our strengths, it would come down to the mids having to do the bulk of the goalscoring and I'm not sure you win Grand Finals that way.

The 2006 midfield is scary good though. Not just A-graders, but how deep it runs.

I cant argue with the above.

Its funny that our midfield on paper foes appear so weak. 06 clearly a cut above 18 in that dept, moreso because the best 4 players were Cox, Judd, kerr, cousins & embley.

I think 18's bottom 5 mids are better than 06 so on the balance it may be an even contest. Much like how sydneys mids of 05/06 somehow held their own against us.

I think it would play out similarly to the actual grand final, as Collingwood's midfield was a lot better than ours, but our forward line and defence were much better than theirs. It would be a close one, the real scoring danger from the 06 side comes from Cox's ability to win stoppages and the goal kicking mids (Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Embley) getting on the scoreboard from stoppages inside 50.

Yeah the chasm in forward lines sees 2018 team win. 06 win out of the guts, Gov, Hurn and Barrass intercept everything and we rebound into our potent forward line with multiple tall and small options.
18 by a few goals.
In fact the 2018 Collingwood team have a lot of parallels to our 06 team- Pies had a gun midfield but probably a touch less class and a touch more depth (compared to WCE 06). A couple of very good tall backs and tough medium defenders with good rebounding ability. An undersize forward line with one giant (Cox vs Lynch) and a dynamic mid size forward (deGoey vs Hunter).

You campaigners know what happened next!

Scoring wise, it actually turned out almost exactly the same. The score obviously was close between 06 & 18, but the spread of goal kickers was much closer than you’d expect. So in 06 we got 7 goals from our designated forwards (Lynch 3, Hansen 2, Hunter 1 and Armstrong 1) then 5 from the mids (Cuz 2, Embley 2, Judd 1)

Almost identical to this year. We got 6 from our forwards (3 from Jk, 1 from Rioli, Cripps and Darling) and again 5 from the mids (singles to Shuey, Sheed, Hutch, yeo and Vardy)

So as much as this years forwards look miles ahead on paper compared to 06, the game ended up almost exactly the same.

(I didn’t bother to look those numbers up so could be slightly wrong but from memory, and watching both games a heap of times, pretty sure it’s correct)

I think drawing the parallel between Pies '18 and Eagles '06 is interesting.

Would the '18 Eagles 2 ruck strategy work on Cox given Grundy is very much in the Cox mould with his strengths in linking up around the ground? The comparison of the stronger midfield and the weaker looking forward lines also looks pretty apt.

06 Eagles have a bit of a trump card on the wing in Embley that Collingwood lacked and I think Embley would be a real handful for our '18 roster, especially sans Gaffy.

Could you back in Hutchings to successfully run with a Judd or Cousins? I can't see it myself plus if the tag was effective Beau Waters would very likely kill Hutchy.

I think I would back our '18 side to pinch it in a close one due to their discipline but there would be every chance our '06 side could go berserk and put them to the sword. Just an insane talent level that could only get dragged down into the mire by scragging sides like the Swans.

I think the 05 woulda flogged the 15 side .
The 18 side would beat the 06.
Comfortably .
Kennedy v Glass , Darling v Waters may have broke even but Cripps Lecras, Rioli and Flyin would run amok .
Hutchings would quell much of Judds influence , the other mids in both sides including ruck and wings would be even ,
Hurn, Barrass , McGovern Repel every fwd entry , Q stick would be shooting from wide outside 50 the 06 main weapon . So the 18 defence kills it .
Even without
Sheppard , Gaff, Nic Nat
Nicoski .

That 2006 team were warriors and just like 18 had no concept of being beat. Remember when those sunsofbitches gave an illegally souped up Geelong a 50+ point start on their own dung heap and reeled them in? The so called great Geelong team that went apeshit with a run of flags after 07 only because we beheaded Cousins and Judd's missus wanted a TV gig.

Farq it would be good to see but I have no real idea who would win between 06 and 18 though. I think 2018 is more balanced across the ground and definately has an edge in the forward line but that 06 midfield! Perhaps the absence of Nicoski from the 18 lineup tips it to the 06 team but I'm not sure, Marsden counters that imbalance!! Either would go 4-0 against anything peel has dished upin 20 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2006 comfortably in an uncompromised draft period which allowed teams to stockpile a number of truly elite players.

Arguably 06 had 3 players at least in the top 10 of the AFL and 5 players in the top 25, plus superb role players in Chick, Stenglien and Hunter.

Not sure 2018 has a top 10 player (Kennedy’s injury affected output pushes him out) or more than two top 25’s.

06 mids crush 18 mids (particularly if you include the wings), Judd was breathtakingly good. Probably a much more versatile group as well given Cox at his peak (with due respect to Grundy, he ain’t Coxs dirty undies) would comfortably account for Slyce/Vardy.

2006 ‘s backs shade 18’s and Chick would have the fear of god into Flyin.

Yes and I’ll put it out there, Brett Jones was underated by all except Michael O’loughlan.

Finally to put the argument to rest, 18 wouldn’t be functioning human beings (let alone footy players) if they were on the gear the 06 group was.

2006 comfortably in an uncompromised draft period which allowed teams to stockpile a number of truly elite players.

Arguably 06 had 3 players at least in the top 10 of the AFL and 5 players in the top 25, plus superb role players in Chick, Stenglien and Hunter.
Not sure 2018 has a top 10 player (Kennedy’s injury affected output pushes him out) or more than two top 25’s.
06 mids crush 18 mids (particularly if you include the wings), Judd was breathtakingly good. Probably a much more versatile group as well given Cox at his peak (with due respect to Grundy, he ain’t Coxs dirty undies) would comfortably account for Slyce/Vardy.
2006 ‘s backs shade 18’s and Chick would have the fear of god into Flyin.
Yes and I’ll put it out there, Brett Jones was underated by all except Michael O’loughlan.
Finally to put the argument to rest, 18 wouldn’t be functioning human beings (let alone footy players) if they were on the gear the 06 group was.
Where were the goals gonna come from . 2 AAs McGovern , Hurn plus Barrass easily account for a throw forward occasionally average defender in Hunter . Yeo can Mark , Judd couldnt . Shuey doesnt one two run around the back get a stat Cousins . Rioli has all the gifts Kerr had . Kerr had an ankle problem . But if you rule out injuries then throw Nic Nat in and overrated Cox is nobody but Vardy and Slyce did beat the AA ruckmen 2 weeks in a row anyway .Cox cost us the 2005 GF ,his ruckwork giving a free which ended up a Sydney goal putting them in front . He didnt impress me in 05 or 06.
Lets chuck Sheppard in there and Brett Jones is just a fast runner . Lets throw Gaff in and Cousins gut running is nothing . Darlings form before his injury this year lets have that back . Not to mention how injury interrupted Flyins form .
2018 has a lot more A Graders and B+ Players , injuries stopped the 10 game winning streak this year . Better coached in 18 as well .

Last edited:
Back