Autopsy 2007-17 average drafting, decent trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We weren’t amazing but I’m not sure we would have been too far behind the league average.

The combination of first and second round failures in 2007, 2009 and 2010 has left us without a base now. Something like 5 first round and 3 second rounders. One still at the club. That period really should have set us up for a premiership now.

Outside of that period we have made some mistakes like Harvey over Knight or Brown, but have been ok. Particularly recently our drafting has been consistent and looks to be building results.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We weren’t amazing but I’m not sure we would have been too far behind the league average.

The combination of first and second round failures in 2007, 2009 and 2010 has left us without a base now. Something like 5 first round and 3 second rounders. One still at the club. That period really should have set us up for a premiership now.

Outside of that period we have made some mistakes like Harvey over Knight or Brown, but have been ok. Particularly recently our drafting has been consistent and looks to be building results.
Harvey was a stinker pick ... but i was over the moon when we picked him up. I saw a lot of potential in him having watched him for two years. I know for a fact that one Port recruiting scout was gobsmacked when his name was called ... the scout told me "he has no tank, and no matter what Port does, he will never have one". And he was right.,
This year we have to have a real crack at this draft - 5 picks.
The 2018 draft should be reinvigorating/re balancing the list.

What it shows is being made to work for something leads to better results. Greatness comes from talent and hard work, I suspect some top picks waste their talent basking in their own press.

Attitude is everything.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Another one old time stagers like rexy johns and 1954 who like myself prob read lawrie jervios in the news friday night for teams etc

I do not think any self respecting Port fan ever read anything Lawrie Jervis wrote. Jervis did not appreciate the free shower he got suit and all in the Port rooms after one of the six in a row Grand Final victories.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Harvey was a stinker pick ... but i was over the moon when we picked him up. I saw a lot of potential in him having watched him for two years. I know for a fact that one Port recruiting scout was gobsmacked when his name was called ... the scout told me "he has no tank, and no matter what Port does, he will never have one". And he was right.,
This year we have to have a real crack at this draft - 5 picks.
The 2018 draft should be reinvigorating/re balancing the list.

You can analyse the hell out of every draft move. People always highlight those you could have had eg - Butcher, Moore and Pittard before Fyfe, but usually those choices aren’t unreasonable. Fyfe was a tall half forward and I’m not sure many would have had him in the top ten or envisaged what he would become, it probably would have been a reach for us to take him.

Harvey on the other hand didn’t fit with our list or recruiting strategy that year. And it was always low yield - as we know, drafting talls outside of the top 20 is rarely successful in producing a long term 50+ game player, excluding father-sons, zone selections and mature agers. That year we were targeting ‘pace’ and traded for Polec and drafted Impey, DBJ and Amon. We also needed a ready to go ruck/forward to support our thin ruck and forward stocks. Knight was a great kick and quick - fit our strategy, Ben Brown was kick and agile and mature - fit our needs for a ruck/forward.

Instead we went for the slow, unathletic KPF who was too small to ruck and would take 3-5 years before he would be close to ready for AFL if he was ever going to get there. He would also only be able to play as a stay at home full forward, a role that no team plays. He was a good mark, a good kick and a good guy from what I’ve heard but he was a terrible pick for us at the time and I’m not sure we even need hindsight for that. At least with Moore, Butch, Jacobs, Pittard, Young and Newton, you could see what we were trying to do.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looking back now, the trades for Dixon and Ryder have been a massive waste of draft picks. Would have rather kept those picks and hopefully built some strong talent for the future. Both haven’t been able to deliver on what was hoped and Ryder Is getting close to finished as far as I’m coming concerned. Atleast rocky and mots we’re free agents so saved us loosing more picks

Aug 16, 2009
Latvia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Looking back now, the trades for Dixon and Ryder have been a massive waste of draft picks. Would have rather kept those picks and hopefully built some strong talent for the future. Both haven’t been able to deliver on what was hoped and Ryder Is getting close to finished as far as I’m coming concerned. Atleast rocky and mots we’re free agents so saved us loosing more picks

Completely disagree with this.

Amarula

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Western suburbs (Melb)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Indomitable Lions
Melbourne did well with the pick we gave them for Watts, Walls constantly states with glee.
I hope with Dix out Watts and our mosquito fleet get the job done marvellously and then we can say we did well to get him.
Depends. If Dix being out means that mids & half-backs lower their eyes instead of stupidly bombing it to the hot-spot ...
... but what are the chances of that?
About as much as KH deciding to abandon this stupidly overcoached hyperstructured defensive game which has cost us so much this year and letting the players play the attacking style which they'd surely prefer.
Zero.

Back