2007 or 2019. Before you laugh, take a look at this.

Take emotion out, compare those 2 sides player for player. Who wins if they play each other?

• 2007 easily you fool!

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • Once I took my nostalgia glasses off, I realised that this years team is elite

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Stokes>>>Dahlhaus, definitely.
But we are talking merely about '07 Stokes as opposed to a career retrospective which would end pretty clearly in Stokes favour. I mean personally i'd have it as a push but I was trying valiantly to make some kind of argument. It failed miserably. I retract my comments.

Halfway through the last for me. I have been around for a while

I only had one beer before the game. I can still remember after Nathan kicked his second needing to take a leak. I cruised in after and grabbed a beer - I said I wouldn't start drinking "too early". There was another random bloke there, we both ordered and then looked at each other, smiled and hugged! It was one of the most beautiful moments two men have ever shared ;)

I only had one beer before the game. I can still remember after Nathan kicked his second needing to take a leak. I cruised in after and grabbed a beer - I said I wouldn't start drinking "too early". There was another random bloke there, we both ordered and then looked at each other, smiled and hugged! It was one of the most beautiful moments two men have ever shared ;)
I seriously thought I would never see a flag. What a joy it was.

Your line by line comparison to the '07 team confirms for me that, though we have a very good team, there is daylight between the side now abnd then

There's daylight between GFC 2007 and almost every other team of the last 30 years...
Comparison between any team now and arguably the greatest side most of us have seen is just a little bit silly.

I "get" where the OP is coming from, just not quite where he landed...

The '07 Team had (9?) AA members in it. And a Brownlow medallist (who in all likelihood had plenty of his team mates "pinching" votes from him).

Who won the AFLMVP that year, BTW? (Or the coach's award?)

They were also "backed" by a VFL squad which also happened to win a flag.

Watched the '07 GF on a big screen in a Canberra club with a group of Cats fans. Was never comfortable until about half-way through the last quarter. Had had a few by then, and turned to the Mrs and said, "D'ya know...I reckon they might win this!" Was pretty emotional, esp. after '89, '92, '94, and '95.

The 2019 side, while offering a measure of "promise", is not in that league yet. (Let's revisit in the next 4-5 months, to see if they are on the right trajectory...?)

I think Tom Harley said at the end of 2007 that we would likely never see success of that nature again. A team/season like that happens once in a lifetime.
I do however feel there is something possibly special about this year. We have had early success in recent years but it always felt like it was a handful of stars dragging us over the line in possibly one or two big quarters a game. I’m a big fan of the “Quarters Won” stat. So far we have won 22/28. This shows consistency and system. Lot to like so far and I suspect if we can account for the games we are expected to win, then it augurs well for potential finals success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selwood is looking a shadow of himself at the moment.
I think that's OTT. Plays a superb role on the wing, and still brings inspirational leadership to the team.

Bad thread.

The 07 side ended up having something like 14 players that became/ or had previously been All Australians. We'll be lucky to have half that from the crop of players in the 2019 team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's an excerpt from Rocky & Bullwinkle's "Peabody's Improbable History"....

After travelling back to 2007 in the WABAC machine to prove a point, once and for all, Mr. Peabody and his adopted son Sherman are sitting in the upper level of the Great Southern Stand. It is halfway through the third quarter of the 2007 Grand Final:

Sherman: Wow! You were right Mr. Peabody!
Mr. Peabody: As always Sherman.
Sherman: But I coulda sworn the 2019 team was better. They have Gaz Jnr!
Mr. Peabody: So does this team, Sherman.
Sherman: What? No way...that bald guy has 35 on his back!
Mr. Peabody: That's Chappy, Sherman. Gaz Jnr is that little fellow with the blond hair.
Sherman: You must think I'm a dummy, Mr Peabody. Pull the other one!
Mr. Peabody: We'll discuss it later. Now sit down.
Sherman: I don't want to discuss it later!
Mr. Peabody: Sherman, sit!
Sherman: You can't talk to me like that. I'm not a dog.
Mr. Peabody: What did you say?
Sherman: I said I'm not a dog!
Mr. Peabody: You're right, Sherman! You're not! You're just a very bad boy!

Back