Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts NFL Board HoF
Oct 5, 2004
Athens, GA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Phils, Eagles, Flyers, Sunderland
Congrats, New England- you've joined elite company. But how do these teams break down?

Well, two entirely different teams, from different eras, with different rule interpretations (DOH!)

On offense, Miami was much more a methodical, grind it out team, with two thousand yard rushers in Csonka and Morris- and Kiick was far from chopped liver- he added 500+ yards. The Fish threw the ball sparingly- 260 times in 14 games- and their top WR (Paul Warfield) caught 29 passes for the season. Give a big pop for their offensive line, centred around Jim Langer, Larry Little and Bob Kuchenberg. They didn't blow out opponents, only surpassing 34 points twice, curiously against New England both times.

In contrast, brady set all sorts of records for yards passing and TD passes, with a stellar set of wide outs- Moss being the key addition this past offseason. Explosive, yes- and scoring points left, right and centre.

Defense- Miami had the Noname defense- the "53" led by bob Mathieson- a very solid, probably underrated unit, with some really fine players- Manny Fernandez, Dick Anderson, Bill stanfill and Nick Buonicotti. They held their opponents to 171 points- no mean effort, in any time period.

Pats also were solid- their offence grabbed the headlines....but there will be plenty of folks getting attention for their defensive efforts- Samuel, Seymour, Harrison etc. etc.

Hard to separate the two, really- would be fun to see simulated games between the two- and surely ESPN will set up something with this- I mean, they can cut into their six hours of poker a day, right?

I had the privelege of witnessing both seasons- quite a ride in both cases.

Tho was not born in 1972 so tho will refrain from any serious comparisons on this one.

However its one of those things... different era... different opponents... different rules... and to some extent, different game... not comparable? you'd think so but many people are going to try to and provide handicaps for all the certain changes and come up with a conclusion.

Lets just say they were both ... good

The Patriots cause i'm biased:p
Also because they had to play 16 games in the regular season.
I suppose though you shouldn't be comparing them unless the Pats win the SB.

Pats will need to go all the way, but still will be bloody hard to compare. Hopefully if (and when, *fingers crossed*) the Pats can win the SB, they will be a lot more gracious about other teams coming close to goin gundefeated. While many of the '72 Dolphins have denied it, some of the stories about them celebrating undefeated teams losing is ridiculous.

With the way the NFL is now with salary caps etc though, the '07 Pats are amazing. Lets just hope Brady and Moss can keep it going.

Pats will need to go all the way, but still will be bloody hard to compare. Hopefully if (and when, *fingers crossed*) the Pats can win the SB, they will be a lot more gracious about other teams coming close to goin gundefeated. While many of the '72 Dolphins have denied it, some of the stories about them celebrating undefeated teams losing is ridiculous.

With the way the NFL is now with salary caps etc though, the '07 Pats are amazing. Lets just hope Brady and Moss can keep it going.

Lets hope they can keep it going and win? Pfftt...........you'll find most of us around here couldnt give a s h i t!

Lets hope they can keep it going and win? Pfftt...........you'll find most of us around here couldnt give a s h i t!

Maybe not, but I'm hoping! Couldn't really care what the rest of you think!

Maybe not, but I'm hoping! Couldn't really care what the rest of you think!

i could have worded my post better.......i was loaded when i wrote it! but yes, many of us around here wouldnt at all be dissappointed should the Patsies fall over in the next 5 weeks. obviously, gg has made is thoughts known.... :) and i reckon 0-1 would be sweet! :D

i could have worded my post better.......i was loaded when i wrote it! but yes, many of us around here wouldnt at all be dissappointed should the Patsies fall over in the next 5 weeks. obviously, gg has made is thoughts known.... :) and i reckon 0-1 would be sweet! :D

Of course, in general if you don't support the favourite, and red-hot favouite at that, who wouldn't want them to lose? So that's fine, I understand. With everyone wanting the Pats to fall would only make a win even sweeter. But as we all know there is a very long way to go yet. Still very nervous of a game against the Colts!

The 1972 Dolphins aren't close to the Pats.

There are much better teams than the '72 Fins. I believe that they had the second worst schedule in history. That's 32 schedules a year, for 40+ years, and they had the second easiest. It'd be like playing against the worst few teams this year and (theoretically) the worst few teams from last year and so on.

Like you said, they didn't even blow out these opponents.

The 1972 Dolphins aren't close to the Pats.

There are much better teams than the '72 Fins. I believe that they had the second worst schedule in history. That's 32 schedules a year, for 40+ years, and they had the second easiest. It'd be like playing against the worst few teams this year and (theoretically) the worst few teams from last year and so on.

The '72 Dolphins unbeaten season was really not all that impressive. They had a very soft schedule - only played 2 teams that ended up with better than .500 records, and they were only 8-6 each. They played no division champion or even a playoff team in the regular season.

There have been plenty of better teams and this question of comparison is a joke.

*Cue Woodson to come in and yell "blow-in" :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats, New England- you've joined elite company. But how do these teams break down?

Well, two entirely different teams, from different eras, with different rule interpretations (DOH!)

On offense, Miami was much more a methodical, grind it out team, with two thousand yard rushers in Csonka and Morris- and Kiick was far from chopped liver- he added 500+ yards. The Fish threw the ball sparingly- 260 times in 14 games- and their top WR (Paul Warfield) caught 29 passes for the season. Give a big pop for their offensive line, centred around Jim Langer, Larry Little and Bob Kuchenberg. They didn't blow out opponents, only surpassing 34 points twice, curiously against New England both times.

In contrast, brady set all sorts of records for yards passing and TD passes, with a stellar set of wide outs- Moss being the key addition this past offseason. Explosive, yes- and scoring points left, right and centre.

Defense- Miami had the Noname defense- the "53" led by bob Mathieson- a very solid, probably underrated unit, with some really fine players- Manny Fernandez, Dick Anderson, Bill stanfill and Nick Buonicotti. They held their opponents to 171 points- no mean effort, in any time period.

Pats also were solid- their offence grabbed the headlines....but there will be plenty of folks getting attention for their defensive efforts- Samuel, Seymour, Harrison etc. etc.

Hard to separate the two, really- would be fun to see simulated games between the two- and surely ESPN will set up something with this- I mean, they can cut into their six hours of poker a day, right?

I had the privelege of witnessing both seasons- quite a ride in both cases.

You are that old! :eek:

Don't tell me you saw the BoSox last WS before 2004 too :p

The '72 Dolphins unbeaten season was really not all that impressive. They had a very soft schedule - only played 2 teams that ended up with better than .500 records, and they were only 8-6 each. They played no division champion or even a playoff team in the regular season.

There have been plenty of better teams and this question of comparison is a joke.

*Cue Woodson to come in and yell "blow-in" :D

Actually I don't need to COOL-A-ROO... you're welcome to breeze thru as you've contributed thoughtful posts in the past as well as just another means of educating the young NFL fan with facts to behold.. also you HOLD 'NFL integrity' ... not just coz you're a North fan. :thumbsu: Understandably being a FINS fan, I didn't expect many cameo's from you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back