Universal Love 2007 - Ten Years on, A look back at incredible; Part 3 the GF V Port, 119 reasons to celebrate

Remove this Banner Ad

Great thread Willo_.

The Qualifying Final is one of my favourite games. I love the prelim for the closeness, and of course I love the Grand Final, but for me the Qualifying Final is my favourite of the 07 finals series.

Firstly, I was surprised as the price hike in costs of tickets, which I will ramble on about as we discuss the prelim and Grand Final.

I remember it was a warm day. Two cats supporters and a Melbourne supporter went with me. I remember we walked from the CBD to the ground through Fitzroy Gardens, and I was by far the quietest of the four of us. I was feeling the nerves as soon as I woke up. Geelong just are not meant to be successful, and it would all end in heart break.

We got to the ground knowing we had ground level seats. I am a sucker for tickets at the third level, as I can actually see and understand the play which you don't get at ground level. However, we found out our seats were on the wing, about 15 rows back near the interchange. Sun on our backs, September spring weather. Perfect. I now associate that as "finals weather."

We arrived about 40 minutes beforehand and got to see the crowd fill up. We were in front of the infamous North Melbourne team trying to run through the boys during the warm up. Mooney was having none of it. The Melbourne supporter with us noted "Well that wasn't very smart. They have just poked the bear."

And poked the bear they did. We came out of the blocks flying.

We played some pure football, and the ground was buzzing. The bay around us just enjoyed watching quality football and we all had plenty of reason to celebrate.

I can't remember too much of the actual game - I think I was a bit numb.

However before we even left the ground, it soon dawned on me that we would be going straight into a prelim which was do-or-die. I won't forget that feeling.

That was to be a completely different ball game. Surely Geelong would bottle it, whoever our opponent would be.

But, overall, the thing I took out of this was the weather. Since 2007, the first early 20s spring day we get in August/September with the sun beating down reminds me of this game.

The next installment of cats2rise's story is stupidly going to the prelim with my then-girlfriend who kept telling me off for cheering too loudly. It was the beginning of the end of our relationship.

Last edited:

Brilliant cats2rise
We also had ground level seats, at the Punt road end (i think) so when we started to steam roll them in the 2nd the ball was down our end a lot.

I remember at one point Petrie had the ball and I yelled out something extremely witty like 'Your Dad is a w***er Petrie!'

(Backstory is being from the Rat I had been told somewhere that his old man suffered from 'Ugly parent syndrome')

I then proceeded to get eyeballed for the better part of 3 quarters by a group of 8 or so people sitting 2 or 3 rows in front of me, that I can only assume were members of his family :D

I remember a few things which others have mentioned:
- The warm weather and smell of spring in the air
- The amount of times we caught North holding the ball, was probably 8-10
- How good our defence/half-back line was, North couldn't get through and we launched so much run from back there

Great thread Willo_We arrived about 40 minutes beforehand and got to see the crowd fill up. We were in front of the infamous North Melbourne team trying to run through the boys during the warm up. Mooney was having none of it. The Melbourne supporter with us noted "Well that wasn't very smart. They have just poked the bear."

And poked the bear they did. We came out of the blocks flying.

Great memories - but oddly enough for such a big win, the first 20-25 minutes, the match was pretty even. I think it took a little while for all the nerves to settle, but once they did, the Kangas never had a chance.

I remember a few things which others have mentioned:
- The warm weather and smell of spring in the air
- The amount of times we caught North holding the ball, was probably 8-10
- How good our defence/half-back line was, North couldn't get through and we launched so much run from back there

I would add one:

- How much we completely embarrassed Glenn Archer.

This caused me great enjoyment. He was a horribly overrated player, who could not and would not adapt to the changing game. So much he would actually bitch and moan that he couldn't be physical (i.e. smack guys) when he was frustrated. Because he was the darling of the media he was rarely if ever examined critically. So this was great. Chapman tore him apart in the first quarter and I'm pretty sure even Shannon Byrnes outmarked him.

It was glorious.

Great memories - but oddly enough for such a big win, the first 20-25 minutes, the match was pretty even. I think it took a little while for all the nerves to settle, but once they did, the Kangas never had a chance.

Yeah it was. McIntosh kicked a running goal from 50m early on and I think that put them in front, something like 3.3 to 3.0. After that it was a massacre.

I reckon North might have kicked three pretty early on.

Our half back line was as solid as a rock. I can't remember the game stats, but we must have dominated them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would add one:

- How much we completely embarrassed Glenn Archer.

This caused me great enjoyment. He was a horribly overrated player, who could not and would not adapt to the changing game. So much he would actually bitch and moan that he couldn't be physical (i.e. smack guys) when he was frustrated. Because he was the darling of the media he was rarely if ever examined critically. So this was great. Chapman tore him apart in the first quarter and I'm pretty sure even Shannon Byrnes outmarked him.

It was glorious.

Shannon Byrnes outmarking Archer was a personal highlight of mine. :)

Some threads from that week:
We will smash North
The match against North is the type we usually lose
QF: Team vs. Kangaroos.

(There are about three pages of threads prior to that match - the merging policy actually has its advantages!)

Off topic, but I'll say this anyway: so often I read posts wherein people allude to the apparent halcyon days of the Geelong board, before the "quality of posts diminished", but to be honest, whenever I peruse any pre-2010 threads what strikes me most of all is the relative lack of in-depth conversation. The standard of analysis and overall discourse in those threads is conspicuously inferior to the standard of analysis and discourse in current-day pre-match threads. And that's even taking in to consideration the various flaws of the current board and the loss of a few of the better posters of the 2011-2013 period such as MC Extra Dollop. In the 2017 Geelong Board Survey someone mentioned that one of the reasons they thought it unlikely that the Geelong board would improve was due to the "increased twitterisation of comment (ie no real comment, argument or explanation, just useless one-sentence jerk-off assertions)" diminishing the overall standard of conversation, but looking over those 2007 threads, it seems obvious to me that shorter comments were more ubiquitous back in those days, before Twitter was even around, and that the occurrence of detailed posts has risen, not decreased, over the last 10 years. There are a lot of substance-light one or two sentence posts in those threads.

Yes that gasp from the crowd when Selwood pivoted and then handballed not to Ablett, but to precisely where he needed to be, among all the North players, is the standout memory for me.

I remember feeling we got a good run from the umps early that day. Nathan Ablett nailing a tough ish shot at the Punt road / Olympic pocket. Was also the first warmish sunny day of the spring, and the beers afterwards at the London Tavern tasted especially good. On the back of years of dominance from Port, Sydney and WCE, we were into a HOME prelim; which at the time was kind of a holy grail as far as genuine premiership launching pads were concerned. I was excited.

The DVD commentary on that goal above, from Dennis Commetti: "this is why they are premiership favourites"

Dean Laidley didn't mince words at the press conference afterwards:

"They just smashed us"

Off topic, but I'll say this anyway: so often I read posts wherein people allude to the apparent halcyon days of the Geelong board, before the "quality of posts diminished", but to be honest, whenever I peruse any pre-2010 threads what strikes me most of all is the relative lack of in-depth conversation. The standard of analysis and overall discourse in those threads is conspicuously inferior to the standard of analysis and discourse in current-day pre-match threads. And that's even taking in to consideration the various flaws of the current board and the loss of a few of the better posters of the 2011-2013 period such as MC Extra Dollop. In the 2017 Geelong Board Survey someone mentioned that one of the reasons they thought it unlikely that the Geelong board would improve was due to the "increased twitterisation of comment (ie no real comment, argument or explanation, just useless one-sentence jerk-off assertions)" diminishing the overall standard of conversation, but looking over those 2007 threads, it seems obvious to me that shorter comments were more ubiquitous back in those days, before Twitter was even around, and that the occurrence of detailed posts has risen, not decreased, over the last 10 years. There are a lot of substance-light one or two sentence posts in those threads.
Great call. And the ones above were some of the better ones. The bulk of the threads were five posts or less.

The QF is some of the best footy i've ever seen us play.
I remember i was in London and Europe for the best part of 07 and watched this in the Walkabout Shepherds Bush. Was just in awe of the quality of that game NO ONE would have touched us that day.

Remember Chappy looking around as a massive cheer went up as we got 6 points off being 100 points clear. Then after that goal the place went crazy. The sun was warm and the beers cold. Was a great day to be alive.

Friday 21st September
1st Preliminary Final
Geelong Vs Collingwood

It is fair to say that with a week off to think about how good we were in that 1st final against North most of my mates and I got ahead of ourselves.

One of my best mates worked at a stationary place in Ballarat at the time and was able to acquire a big screen projector for us to use 'We'll watch the prelim on it, then have it set up and have grand final day at our place to watch us' was the thinking.
But I distinctively remember one mate and housemate being nervous 'I hate Collingwood, they are a tin-arse team that will pull something out when they really shouldn't be good enough' was a direct quote he repeated all week.
The boys piled round, we had the big screen set up, beers, pizza... we were set.

What a bloody tense night it turned out to be..
All night I felt we were the better side, we felt like we were in front for most of the game, we felt like we would get a couple of goals clear and then the Pies would peg it back.
There were some incredible moments... the greatest smother of all time

Cometh the moment, cometh the man... the son of the man! (which I couldn't find the individual clip of with that commentary I am afraid)

Brad Ottens was immense all night
Matty Stokes kept us going early when it wasn't working out as easily as we expected

In my heart I felt we had their measure, and it was playing out that way... then in the last we surged a few goals clear and i thought it was done...
The pies kept coming and with not long to go Anthony Rocca received one of the softest and worst free kicks of all time, and if that wasn't bad enough he faked injury to avoid having to take the kick... the Pies goaled and sphincters tightened with the sudden panic that they could steal it from us.

Thank god for Jimmy.... the moment he took that ball I knew he was fine, I have heard people say they were worried he could get pinged holding the ball... the footy intelligence of Jim made sure that didn't happen... if he stays down and takes the ball with arms above his head it maybe spills out and he maybe gets pinged.. he is smart enough to jump up and take it by hugging it to his chest, knowing he would get tackled... knowing he couldn't be done for holding the ball.
....The siren

.....Relief

There were hugs, cheers, the Cats supporters all at once went out the front door of the house to get some air and to scream in delight and relief.
We knew we were the better team, and despite a Pie mate claiming they should have won, we knew it would have been robbery if they had.

I reckon we were up till the early hours of the next morning drinking, and full of adrenaline

We were in the big dance and our best chance to see our side win a flag for the first time in our lifetimes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back