Universal Love 2007 - Ten Years on, A look back at incredible; Part 3 the GF V Port, 119 reasons to celebrate

Remove this Banner Ad

Only being 11 years old at the time in 2007 I didn't watch heaps of games (it probably wasn't until 2009/2010 until I started watching full games), all I cared about was that Geelong won and that David Wojcinski played well!

But either way Dad was committed to getting tickets for the 2 of us to the Grand Final as soon as we won the Prelim. We were very lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it haha) that we had family friends who were Port Adelaide members and had 2 tickets at the very top of the MCG with lots of other Port supporters, and those family friends couldn't make the game so offered us their tickets.

To be honest I can't remember a whole lot of the game live (have obviously watched it plenty of times since) being 11 + sitting so high up and trying to see which players were which, just as long as Wojcinski was doing well :D I actually remember he didn't start well at all giving away at least 2 free kicks in the first few minutes which included a free kick to Warren Tredrea about 10m out from their goal.

We'd brought a whole block of chocolate to the game which I didn't realise how fast I was going through it and I'd ate the whole thing by 3QT.

The Port supporters around us were funny, apparently it was the umpires fault they were losing by 100 f***ing points lol :p

An absolute domination. Final siren went and just singing "We are Geelong, the Greatest Team of All" over and over!

P.S - While lots of Cats supporters would've been sick after all the alcohol they drunk, I woke up around 1am to be sick after all the chocolate I had :p

The Port supporters around us were funny, apparently it was the umpires fault they were losing by 100 f***ing points lol :p
Well they were technically right. If you go back to the second quarter you'll find the following:
  1. Rooke's goal was from a high free kick to Ling which wasn't there as he ducked into his opponent
  2. Chapman's goal was from a high free kick which wasn't there as he dropped his knee and ducked the head
  3. Nathan Ablett's goal was from a free kick for a push against Thurstans which was really a soft bump in the marking contest
  4. The free kick not paid against Gary Ablett for holding the ball resulted in a goal to Chapman
:p

Its funny in 2007 was already following Geelong quiet closely as I was heading to couple of games with a friend.

In terms of a actual finals, never had a roller coaster ride like the Preliminary Final, watched it in the lounge and I think my wife came in 2 or 3 times because I was yelling at the TV (Which I rarely do).

Growing up I had watched 89, 92, 94 & 95 and was really nervous about the GF, but never needed to worry, the 2007 grand final was the best performance of pure football skill on the big stage I have ever seen.

Got as much enjoyment out of 2007 as I did 2002 and 2003 which most probably was the first sign that one day my team would change (The strain of following a club 2,000km away was starting to tell).

The 2007 Premiers Stubby holder was the first Geelong Merchandise I ever bought.

For some reason when I think of this game I immediately think of the first 5 mins when tom Harley dropped an easy mark in our defensive 50 and I remember thinking "oh no we aren't on tonight".
Amazing game to attend. Don't think I've ever been so nervous in my life.

I have lived through it all from the 60's. The game was nerve racking and I was not comfortable until about half way through the final quarter when we were about 15 goals in front. I had seen Geelong find so many ways to lose over the years I was still not convinced we could actually win. Looking back it was one of the purest displays of creative offensive footy ever. And I loved it. [edit: this is the gf I am talking about. Of course I did not read the OP properly]

Last edited:
Still my favourite football day of all time. Sat not far from where the fence collapsed after the game. Only downside was I had a little wager on Scarlett for the Norm Smith. He's had 30 touches from full back and treated Westoff like his own personal little bitch! Couldn't have played better. Was close to bog.

Still my favourite football day of all time. Sat not far from where the fence collapsed after the game. Only downside was I had a little wager on Scarlett for the Norm Smith. He's had 30 touches from full back and treated Westoff like his own personal little bitch! Couldn't have played better. Was close to bog.

Yeah I reckon he should have got it as well. Johnson suited the big story, but I thought Scarlett was awesome. Chapman played a great game as well.

Footy is a funny thing when you are 18. You feel that the world revolves around it, and you are really the only one that matters. But when you are surrounded by grown men and women in tears who have followed the club for 40+ years when the siren sounds, it really puts it into perspective that you are nothing but a young kid who got lucky to watch a premiership side in your relative youth. But holy s**t, was a good side we were.

The fun bit then begins as you really don’t understand how hard it is to win a flag, until you have one, but then lose one like we did in 2008.

I’d copped it in the schoolyard since Grade 1. Geelong didn’t win premiership growing up. They weren’t North Melbourne or Essendon.
I copped it harder in High School when everyone started to take Footy seriously, and actually understood the game. Geelong had not won a premiership since 1963 and probably never would. Even the Melbourne supporters would get stuck in, and could end any argument with “but when was the last time you won a flag?”

I think I fed off the negativity. Family members had told me they probably wouldn’t see another Geelong flag, and as such it made sense to me I would probably never see one in my life time. My thought process was that if I did see one, I would feel the same ‘high’ as those who were my senior. But the fact was, when the siren went I was a dorky teenager pretending to feel like I was lucky to see a flag after decades of disappointment, but in actual fact I was pretty damn lucky for being a supporter of a club who won a flag so early.

Bits and pieces of the day are as clear as anything, whilst others are foggy. Here are my main outtakes of the week:

· We cleaned up that week. It really was “The Greatest Year of All” with Jimmy, Selwood and all the AA’s. However, with each little milestone, the pressure was building. Same old Geelong if we lose the Grand Final after such a big year. I was yet to understand I was 12 months early with that concern though.

· How ******* stupid is it that only 8,000 members got tickets through the ballot? It was a whole new world to me. I’d always assumed that a Grand Final crowd of 100,000 was a 50/50 split of hardcore fans, and that the atmosphere was would be monumental. I was lucky enough to get tickets, and certainly counted my blessings when I realised that the far majority of the bigfooty brethren went empty handed in the ballot. I grew to despise the ballot as the years went on, even though I has a 75% success rate (2007, 2008, 2009 but not 2011). I was slightly disappointed with the atmosphere, but I guess the problem was me not understanding or realising it would be predominantly commercial or sponsor tickets and not so much fans in attendance.

· We were in standing room. Don’t get me wrong – I was there, and it was brilliant. However, I am a sucker for sitting in an elevated position to be able to analyse the game. Being in standing room was a whole different ball game for me.

· I was surprised with the number of Port supporters on the train on the way to the ground, but overall I was pretty quiet and nervous. There was an announcement over the PA system when the train was pulling in to Southern Cross: “Thank you for choosing VLINE today, remember to get your belongings rarara, and if you are off to the footy… GO CATS.” There was a roar on the train, and it finally got me up and about.

· The walk up to the MCG from the city is a wonderful thing. We are blessed to have two stadiums within walking distance of the CBD. The vast majority of countries in the world do not have what we have in terms of accessibility to sport. That walk is literally me giving myself to my religion, and attending service. I walk in with thousands of other likeminded individuals, give myself to the cause for 3 hours, and leave a different person.

· Matty Stokes injured his knee early, and a groaned hush (is there such a thing?) went around our bay. A mate either watching on TV or listening to the radio texted me almost immediately saying “They are saying Stokes is done for the day” and I knew it my duty to inform the troops around me. I was getting more nervous as he had been huge for us early in the prelim. Whispers went around the bay based on my intel. About 15 minutes later Stokes trots back on and I have egg-on-face.

· Even at half time I was still not 100% sure we would get up.

· I met one really nice Port supporter. It must have been super tough for him. He’s travelled from South Australia and spent an arm and a leg on tickets and accommodation watching his team get thrashed. But he stood there till the end and congratulated every single cats supporter nearby after the siren.

And then, the siren went and where the story relates to my opening comments. It was such an odd feeling. We knew we would be premiers well before the final siren, and as such we just got to enjoy each and every kick, handball and mark.

When that siren went, we all went bananas. I remember trying to think how amazing it was because of all the heartbreak of the 70, 80, 90s and early 2000s, but then I saw that raw, pure emotion on those older than me.

This flag was for them, and I was just lucky enough to be there for the ride.

I've been extremely lucky when it has come to GF tix. 1995- casually rocking up to Bass Windy Hill like noon on the day tickets went on sale to GFC members and scoring a ticket, 2007- missed out on ballot and while gritting my teeth and congratulating all my mates online who were checking credit card balances that had gone up (and mine did not), had a ticket later that day any way thru a friend, and 08,09+11 all successful in the ballot, including the latter having 2 extra memberships in it that a friend gave me. :thumbsu:

As for 07, I remember 2 things that day the most.

Meeting my mum back at Fed Square after the game. Was pretty emotional, considering we started going to the footy way back when in the early 90s.. and later that night in Geelong with friends, just driving up/down, running/walking/hugging randoms. Was an amazing time to be in Geelong, will never forget that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have absolutely loved your work in this thread cats2rise

Bravo :thumbsu:
Ripper of the thread. I am a sucker for both this club and nostalgia. This thread goes hand in hand.

I must say, I didn't stay in the city to celebrate. Just caught the train home. What an idiot lol.

Well they were technically right. If you go back to the second quarter you'll find the following:
  1. Rooke's goal was from a high free kick to Ling which wasn't there as he ducked into his opponent
  2. Chapman's goal was from a high free kick which wasn't there as he dropped his knee and ducked the head
  3. Nathan Ablett's goal was from a free kick for a push against Thurstans which was really a soft bump in the marking contest
  4. The free kick not paid against Gary Ablett for holding the ball resulted in a goal to Chapman
:p

lol. after quarter-time it did feel like we were getting streamrolled from all sides, with absolutely nothing going our way. the GAJ-non HTB was merely jerryseinfeld.gif time.

But, this is what happens when you turn up to a Grand Final against what we were soon to learn was a historically all-time great team and only have 5 or 6 performers on the day, compounded by Phil Walsh actively conspiring to convince Williams to leave the floodgates wide open because he didn't want to detract from the spectacle, because reasons:

IMG_3792.JPG

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The amount of space on the attacking side of the square, let alone half-forward, with the likes of Troy Chaplin and Michael Pettigrew constantly running around like headless chickens 20 metres from anyone or the ball, still makes absolutely zero sense.

I like to think Dean Bailey would've clunked their heads together (the players' for their defensive disorganisation and Choco/Walsh on their plans for light treason), but he'd been poached by the Dees the week before.

The perfect storm.

This flag was for them, and I was just lucky enough to be there for the ride.
IIRC we finished the H&A on top in the magoos and seniors, won the Charlie and magoos B&F, won the magoos and seniors flags, got the Norms in both games. But of course we were not the greatest team of all, that goes to ...

I was only 13 at the time and for some reason a massive fan of Pettigrew, him getting run down by otten is what broke me that day.
Interesting comments by Steven Salopek in a recent interview still said the build up was his career highlight

IIRC we finished the H&A on top in the magoos and seniors, won the Charlie and magoos B&F, won the magoos and seniors flags, got the Norms in both games. But of course we were not the greatest team of all, that goes to ...
This is pretty much my only memorabilia piece:

afl-football-geelong-cats-greatest-year-of-all.jpg

I started following Geelong - literally - in the first quarter of the 89 grand final. I was 5. Good timing huh.

So by the time 2007 rolled around at 23 I was familiar with failure and even though the previous one was 12 years earlier I was more than well aware what it was like to get there and play ordinary. And I was pretty much resigned to having it hapoen again.

I was at a school reunion that started at lunch time with a barbecue at the school.
As soon as that finished we went to the club downtown and I spent two hours being anti social while my wife made friends with old classmates of mine.

Like most, I was never convinced until maybe three quarter time.

Best feeling save for the usual family s**t that I've ever experienced. Maybe outside of a first grade cricket Gf win anyway.

Funnily enough I was at another school reunion for my Year 11-12 school the day we beat the Pies in 2011.

The 2007 QF was a microcosm of the entire era, really. Geelong 2007-11 is the most entertaining, aesthetically-pleasing, purest football I've ever seen in my life. Just everything about that team was spectacular to watch. The ferocious speed of ball movement, the highly-skilled corridor-centric style of play, the never-ending and ludicrously intricate handball chains in impossibly tight spaces that cut through the opposition in a whirlwind of frenzied link-up play, the incredible synergy of thought any time we had the ball in hand, the almost obsessive selflessness in front of goal, the multi-faceted nature of our forward dynamic, the creativity and vision and skill possessed by all our attacking players....etc etc etc. I could go on.

We were lucky to witness that side. Very, very, very lucky. There will be other "dynasty" teams in the future, and who knows, maybe one of those dynasty teams will be another Geelong side. But to see a team combine prolonged, near-unprecedented success and domination over the competition with beautiful, high-octane, entertaining-to-watch football in such a spectacular manner is a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon.

Sorry for the intrusion, all. Aside from being a Port fan, I am a football tragic who can appreciate a seriously dominant era when I see one.

Reading through this thread, this post sums up my thoughts also. In spite of what you did to my team in 2007, I have never seen another football team in my life play the game with such authority, dominance, ferocity and skill. I doubt I will again.

I would be able to appreciate your era of dominance a hell of a lot more, had we not been the unfortunate lambs to your slaughter that day.

Enjoy re-living what was truly a magnificent football team. Hopefully we can witness a cracking contest on Thursday night!

I was at a school reunion that started at lunch time with a barbecue at the school.

Funnily enough I was at another school reunion for my Year 11-12 school the day we beat the Pies in 2011.

Your school seriously needs to look at changing when they have reunions... who the f*** puts a reunion on GF day???

We got tickets in the club ballot but they were only standing room. We didn't care -we had 4 tickets. Yeehaa. My brother and I left home about 7.30 am and were almost first in the queue so when the gates opened we got a great spot on the fence at the back of the stands. We saved a spot for the teenage daughters who came in later. While we were waiting-a long day-We sat on the newspaper as the ground was so cold!
When you stood up It was actually a great view and lots of cameraderie amongst the supporters. And it was the best day. I didn't relax till the final quarter believe it or not-had been to 89, 92, 94, 95 - so still lacked trust in Geelong's universe. First goal of the last quarter I said to the others- we can't lose right? And we all laughed, cheered and cried every minute for the rest of the match. Seriously.
Enjoyed every bit of the celebrations. Stayed at the G for ages. Walked along the river to the city where we met all the rest of the fam who didn't get into the game. Went to a restaurant in little Collins for dinner-so much celebrating and the waiters and other customers all joined in our happiness. There was so much goodwill out there that night- the community was very happy to see our team win. Went to Fed square and had a wonderful time cheering the players. Can't remember when we got home. Went to Kardinia park for the celebrations the next day. So cool. Will love those players and coach forever.
It was all better than I expected, after so long and so many hardships. Will never forget any of it. The best of times.
Ps didn't follow any of my lucky rituals as I had in the past and we always lost. Forget that stuff. Although had increasingly noticed signs on road from Geelong saying 44 km and 29kms as We drove to and from Kardinia Park that year. The only sentimental concession -I took a handkerchief of my fathers because he was no longer with us but the reason we all barracked for Geelong-a boy from Warracknabeal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back