Universal Love 2007 - Ten Years on, A look back at incredible; Part 3 the GF V Port, 119 reasons to celebrate

Remove this Banner Ad

DAqVxVFUMAEjJbz.jpg

I was rapt to see him there last night, and probably a bit ashamed to admit I had not even thought of him in terms of who would attend.

Wouldn't suprise at all if Gaz was there hiding in the back of the room either mind you... would Nath just have come along on his own? And knowing the situation Gaz knows the heat he'd cop if he had done the lap so he would have stayed back out of the limelight

I was rapt to see him there last night, and probably a bit ashamed to admit I had not even thought of him in terms of who would attend.

Wouldn't suprise at all if Gaz was there hiding in the back of the room either mind you... would Nath just have come along on his own? And knowing the situation Gaz knows the heat he'd cop if he had done the lap so he would have stayed back out of the limelight

Gaz couldn't come, he had to go to the Logies.

Chappy had a mic was interviewing him at some point - does anyone know if that has surfaced anywhere yet?

It was a live interview with K-Rock. He actually spoke really well. Said it's the first time he'd been back to skilled since 07. Also pretty much the first time he'd seen or spoken to any of the players since he left the club.. he was surprised how much everyone has moved on with careers and kids etc. He also said the new stand looks amazing.

It was a live interview with K-Rock. He actually spoke really well. Said it's the first time he'd been back to skilled since 07. Also pretty much the first time he'd seen or spoken to any of the players since he left the club.. he was surprised how much everyone has moved on with careers and kids etc. He also said the new stand looks amazing.
I actually really respect that he went even more now... clearly he was never 'one of the boys' but reckon that would have put him out of his comfort zone... good on him :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You thought the gf would be a cake walk despite playing the team that beat us at Geelong five weeks earlier, a team that had won their own prelim by 80 points and playing some awful football in the prelim ourselves? I find that hard to believe. I think hindsight has changed our memories of that day.
No I agree, after we won the prelim just, williams lipped of during the week I knew we'd smash them. They only beat us 5 weeks earlier as we were complacent, it straightened us up. We thumped them at AAMI earlier in the year in the wet also

Thanks for that I can't actually recall ever hearing Nathan speak before.

Love this from last night's Hun:

NATHAN ABLETT’S DISAPPEARING ACT

THE enigma that is Nathan Ablett just keeps getting better.
After surprising many by turning up on Thursday night to Geelong’s 2007 premiership reunion, the youngest of the Ablett clan provided a typical ‘Nathan moment’ for his old teammates.
A relaxed and happy Ablett took part in the pre-game motorcade, sitting next to Paul Chapman who then interviewed him for K-Rock radio which is something that would never have happened a decade ago.
He then headed upstairs to the function where he was mingling with the rest of the ‘07 heroes before receiving a call on his phone which apparently was an original old-school flip top.
Nathan then disappeared for an hour or so before returning to catch the second half of the game.
So, where did he go?
To play basketball, of course.
The call was from a mate whose team was short and given they were playing just down the road in South Geelong, he wondered if Nathan was keen to shoot some hoops.

Love this from last night's Hun:

NATHAN ABLETT’S DISAPPEARING ACT

THE enigma that is Nathan Ablett just keeps getting better.
After surprising many by turning up on Thursday night to Geelong’s 2007 premiership reunion, the youngest of the Ablett clan provided a typical ‘Nathan moment’ for his old teammates.
A relaxed and happy Ablett took part in the pre-game motorcade, sitting next to Paul Chapman who then interviewed him for K-Rock radio which is something that would never have happened a decade ago.
He then headed upstairs to the function where he was mingling with the rest of the ‘07 heroes before receiving a call on his phone which apparently was an original old-school flip top.
Nathan then disappeared for an hour or so before returning to catch the second half of the game.
So, where did he go?
To play basketball, of course.
The call was from a mate whose team was short and given they were playing just down the road in South Geelong, he wondered if Nathan was keen to shoot some hoops.
Was good to see him show up for the reunion but I still believe he was the biggest waste of talent at Geelong. Such a shame he didn't stick around after 2007, as he would have been a massive help in 2008/2009.

Biggest waste of talent I've ever seen.

Easily.
Agree with this.
You watch the highlights especially from early 07... he was ridiculous, the ease at which he strolled around onto his opposite foot as well was amazing

I think it would be fitting if Matthew Egan was included in these celebrations / talk of 2007 celebrations. He was a rock at CHB that year. All Australian. He allowed Tom Harley to be the third man up and king of intercept marks. I remember the sheer fear that the majority of geelong supporters initially had without him being part of the finals. He was a huge reason we had such a great year and his achievements are completely glossed over / not included. He deserved a premiership medal that year. He was our Bob Murphy.

Was good to see him show up for the reunion but I still believe he was the biggest waste of talent at Geelong. Such a shame he didn't stick around after 2007, as he would have been a massive help in 2008/2009.

I heard Moons talking about Nathan on the radio last Sunday and 'what could of been'. He was actually shocked at how good in shape Nathan was on Thursday night - "Just imagine him now, early 30s, if he had been playing the past 10 years at his best. He had all the ability of his Dad, but with a bigger frame. He would of blown the competition away."

All one could do was sigh.

He was a beautiful kick for goal .. its hard to think he wouldn't have been able to kick a couple thru the sticks when we had control of the game bar kicking goals.

I heard Moons talking about Nathan on the radio last Sunday and 'what could of been'. He was actually shocked at how good in shape Nathan was on Thursday night - "Just imagine him now, early 30s, if he had been playing the past 10 years at his best. He had all the ability of his Dad, but with a bigger frame. He would of blown the competition away."

All one could do was sigh.

Yeah , narh.. he had some of his dads ability but not all of it. Football skill wize he was elite , but he would have had to train quite hard , I dont think he was naturally as athletic as GAsr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back