sethlad

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2001
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Derby County FC
Well its lunch in the cricket so this is as good a time as any......
This thread is for all info related to the Great Race,its still well over 3 months away but theres plenty happening already.

Firstly,it seems that there will be no Japanese horses again in 2009 due to quarantine issues,most disappointing IMO.

Of last years runners,Dermott's Profound Beauty recently won the Curragh Cup & is headed to the Irish St Leger before almost certainly returning,looking to improve on last year's 5th placing
In the same race,last years 7th placed Mad Rush ran favourite but pulled up lame & wont be coming.

Lindsay Park now has last years rabbit Alessandro Volta but is non commital about whether they are going to the Cups.
Added to the Hayes team is the lightly raced Unsung Heroine,a lightly raced Group winning filly who has already run second in the St Leger at only her 3rd race start.
OTI were keen on her but she went for well over A$2 million to her new owner,the battling Sheik Hamdan.

Anyway,thats enough for a start,feel free to add the local flavour.

seth

How about Dandaad? Chance of nominating?

Would put some money on him early if he nominates.

How about Dandaad? Chance of nominating?

Would put some money on him early if he nominates.

I would doubt very much if Dandaad is up to the cup. Spoken about on another thread but he only won the Lavazzo last year which is the equivalent of a midweeker. Didn't do anything in Sydney in the Autumn couldn't win the cup let alone get a start. Having said that I might just have a small bet on him because the way I'm going at the moment he'll win ;)

The horse I'm looking forward to seeing is Cest La Guerre cracking run last year and will be better again this year.

Back on the OTI horses,last years runner up Bauer is nominated to have his 1st start since Flemington in the Ebor at York on August 19.
Also amongst the noms,6 from Aiden & 3 from Godolphin
Hopefully its not washed out this year

seth

After last year with ALL THE GOOD in the Caulfield Cup, that's pretty much covered me for the next 20 years in both cups, so needless to say whoever Godolphin has, regardless of what the form says or the "experts" opinion i'll be on! They almost won a MC too with a second stringer if it wasn't for great mare Ethereal putting in that barnstorming finish.

Never oppose Godolphin! God help us if they actually bought a real good one here!

needless to say whoever Godolphin has, regardless of what the form says or the "experts" opinion i'll be on!
They almost won a MC too with a second stringer if it wasn't for great mare Ethereal putting in that barnstorming finish.

Never oppose Godolphin! God help us if they actually bought a real good one here!

Dont remind me,its name still haunts me

seth

I think somewhere around the world the echo from my yelling when Efficient won the Cup is still going. Have backed him every race in his career (even the ones he clearly was never going to win while Lloyd Williams was getting his handicap down), and would love it almost as much as another Cats flag if he could win the Cup this year.

A quick check on Betfair tells me he's the 17/1 fav at the moment, so that can only be a good sign.

Awful luck for you OTI boys with Bauer
Hopefully Luca has a couple more hidden away,its hard to imagine Spring without Francesca nowadays.

Profound Beauty continued on her winning ways overnight
www.racenet.com.au/news/516/51654.asp

It certainly is a pleasant change not to have the usual "will he or wont he" game from Dermott,
thats as definite as Ive ever heard from him this far out.
Rumour is that he has a book coming out & his adventures with Vintage Crop & Vinnie are well documented,
also a chapter on this years try with PB.

seth

Cest La Guerre..

Ticks all the right boxes, run a terrific race last yr.

Shouldve matured enough to improve on that, plus
the trainer bought the horse in mind of this years cup.

Just load up now, its a stand out.

Your just betting on whether the horse can stay sound
enough to make it there on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Gai wins the Melbourne Cup I'll spew, spew some more, swear a whole heap, then spew again and swear a whole heap more. Cannot stand her or her fake regal accent.

Yeah i dislike her as well, but i like Tuesday Joy, underrated horse i reckon, and i have made plenty of cash on her before.

I'd love Tuesday Joy to win, but hopefully two days before the cup, Singo gives her to a new trainer.

Also Zipping wont win, get your hand off it.

Vigor.

He miiight just be better suited to a Caulfield Cup, the two miles would be a question mark.. but he does love Flemington, is a fighter, is a winner, adept in all conditions - he's just coming into that right age-maturity-improvement scene that I like to see.

And unless I missed it, am surprised that Speed Gifted hasn't copped a mention in here yet..

C'Est Le Guerre seems the obvious from last year (I've been a fan of the horse - my second pick behind PB last year).
Fair to say history suggests you only get one shot at a Cup if you don't get the chockies the first time around though, especially in more modern times - obviously not 'foolproof' (Brew grrr lol), but if a horse didn't win it at their first try, I tend to rule a line through their winning chances, at least this far out, for the second (or more) attempt. Happy to watch and wait to see how he's travelling for the time :)

Where's Six O'Clock News up to? He does interest me, despite the being soundly beaten in the Auckland Cup :|

If Gai wins the Melbourne Cup I'll spew, spew some more, swear a whole heap, then spew again and swear a whole heap more. Cannot stand her or her fake regal accent.

Gai wont win the cup she will run it in 5 barrier trials then 2-3 back breaking runs over 1000m and then remember the horse has to run over 2 mile in melb.. by far the worst staying trainer out of the major stables

P.Moody is on the up his stable is growing with allot of nice horses especially good with mares! he could do some major damage over the carnival with nolan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back