Draft Review 2009 - Revisiting the 2009 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I do think Fyfe's peak was higher than Dusty's (both were insanely high though) but the injuries just didnt let him do it enough. Dusty has just done more at the top level for longer.

Dusty would go 1 at this point. And agree Fyfe would go 1 in a lot of other drafts just unlucky here
IMO Dusty's 2017 was at a higher level than what Fyfe has produced.

AFL record Brownlow votes, massive win in the Leigh Matthews MVP, won the coaches association votes, B&F in a premiership year, Garys Aryes award, Norm Smith and All Australian.

It doesn't get any better than that.

IMO Dusty's 2017 was at a higher level than what Fyfe has produced.

AFL record Brownlow votes, massive win in the Leigh Matthews MVP, won the coaches association votes, B&F in a premiership year, Garys Aryes award, Norm Smith and All Australian.

It doesn't get any better than that.
Im going off memory so could be inaccurate but I thought Fyfe had that run across half of one season and half of the next (hence didnt get the awards) that was just insane. His Brownlow vote record in that time (and probably the Coaches) was second to none.

But Dusty did have the complete year in 2017 when he won the lot. He definitely put it all together a lot more than Fyfe

Im going off memory so could be inaccurate but I thought Fyfe had that run across half of one season and half of the next (hence didnt get the awards) that was just insane. His Brownlow vote record in that time (and probably the Coaches) was second to none.

But Dusty did have the complete year in 2017 when he won the lot. He definitely put it all together a lot more than Fyfe
End of the day they both are automatic hall of famers and have been outstanding players. Not much between them.

Fyfe is a genuine superstar of the comp - his problem is that Dusty was in the same draft. Fyfe would rank 1 in a lot of other drafts.

Both have a claim to be their teams GOAT.
big Max would be number 1 in a hell of a lot of drafts too

Absolute killer top 3

I am a passionate freo fan but Dusty has had a better career than Fyfe and deserves number 1.
They were different players but Fyfe had a higher ceiling IMO. At one stage was leading both contested possessions and contested marks while playing in the midfield. The guy was a genuine freak, and no one really had as much dominance both on the ground and in the air.
The Freo team did remarkably well to make prelims in 2013-2015. Had 1 superstar and about 5 good players and that was it.

Last edited:
1. Dustin Martin
2. Nat Fyfe
3. Max Gawn
Daylight
4. Jack Gunston
5. Mitch Duncan
6. Dylan Grimes
7. Daniel Talia
8. Ben Cunnington
9. Zach Tuohy
10. Brad Sheppard
11. Jake Carlisle
12. Lewis Jetta
13. David Astbury
14. Gary Rohan
15. Tom Scully
16. Sam Reid
17. Ben Stratton
18. Michael Barlow
19. Jake Melksham
20. Taylor Duryea

Other 100 gamers from this draft: Jamie Macmillan, Ryan Bastinac, Jasper Pittard, Travis Colyer, Allen Christensen, Dylan Roberton, Josh Thomas, Matthew Wright, Ben Howlett, Mark Hutchings, Stewart Crameri

1. Dustin Martin
2. Nat Fyfe
3. Max Gawn
Daylight
4. Jack Gunston
5. Mitch Duncan
6. Dylan Grimes
7. Daniel Talia
8. Ben Cunnington
9. Zach Tuohy
10. Brad Sheppard
11. Jake Carlisle
12. Lewis Jetta
13. David Astbury
14. Gary Rohan
15. Tom Scully
16. Sam Reid
17. Ben Stratton
18. Michael Barlow
19. Jake Melksham
20. Taylor Duryea

Other 100 gamers from this draft: Jamie Macmillan, Ryan Bastinac, Jasper Pittard, Travis Colyer, Allen Christensen, Dylan Roberton, Josh Thomas, Matthew Wright, Ben Howlett, Mark Hutchings, Stewart Crameri
Carlisle, Jetta, Rohan, Scully and Reid are definitely behind Stratton, Barlow and Melksham.

Carlisle, Jetta, Rohan, Scully and Reid are definitely behind Stratton, Barlow and Melksham.
Carlisle was injury plagued but I always rated him very highly, but that’s just my view of him. Really strong defender in his peak through his twilight years and showed he could be a good forward too.

I might’ve overrated Jetta but he had a couple of really good years as a forward, and was a more than serviceable half back in his twilight. Scully i underrated if anything. Played two or three great years as a winger and was pretty serviceable for much of the rest of his career. Reid probably could be dropped below Barlow and Stratton. I was never particularly huge on Stratton though.

Carlisle was injury plagued but I always rated him very highly, but that’s just my view of him. Really strong defender in his peak through his twilight years and showed he could be a good forward too.

I might’ve overrated Jetta but he had a couple of really good years as a forward, and was a more than serviceable half back in his twilight. Scully i underrated if anything. Played two or three great years as a winger and was pretty serviceable for much of the rest of his career. Reid probably could be dropped below Barlow and Stratton. I was never particularly huge on Stratton though.
Melksham's first or second year at Melbourne was right on the fringe of AA. Seriously underrated footballer. Carlisle's peak was good but barely put a full season together.

Melksham's first or second year at Melbourne was right on the fringe of AA. Seriously underrated footballer. Carlisle's peak was good but barely put a full season together.
He’s had a solid career much like all the guys I ranked around that spot. I don’t see many taking him before Carlisle, Scully or Rohan. Rohan’s finals record is comical besides last year’s QF but he’s still had a good career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back