Opinion 2009 Top 50 Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Good work AG, damn hard thing to do.

From a Collingwood POV, Davis, Presti, probably too high. Didak too low imo. I know he's missed a fair few games but has had so many BOG's to make up for it. I guess it comes down to how you judge it. Shaw and O'Brien must be very, very close.
O'Brien is in the next 5, Shaw not too close. I haven't rated him as highly as others this year. Shaw would probably be in the 60's. Didak could probably go up above Sandilands but that's it imo. Only because he has missed games. Presti is probably too high.

Imo, Didak a bit too low, Mitchell a tad high, Goodes should be top 10, and Hurn and Jackson very very stiff.

I also think everyone is overrating Presti a bit. He's been great at his role but his game is just so one-dimensional I would prefer him in the 40-45 range. Just my thoughts though, a very credible and well-thought out list.
Hurn and Jackson are right on the edge. My next 5 are Stanton, Hurn, O'Brien, Jackson and Morris/Bock.
Goodes is about right but I could move Davis down two. Mitchell is a hard one because he was inconsistent early but Fev and Pendlebury could be put above him. I'll move Presti down to the 40's because I sort of agree with the one dimensional part.

61367052.png

This is the best effort at a list I have seen and I like the concept of updating the list each week rather than trying to do it from scratch, ensures that early season form isn't forgotten - great work AussieGun! Hopefully Hurn can have a huge game against the Tiges next week to sneak into the top 50.

You have Jackson in both the 50 and the unlucky. I wouldn't normally nit-pick like that, but you seem to take great pride in having these sort of things as accurate as possible, so I thought I'd mention it!

Gary Lyon rates Bate from Melbourne in the top 50 players in the league - where do you see him?

Gary Lyon rates Bate from Melbourne in the top 50 players in the league - where do you see him?
Does he?? I find that surprising. I don't see him a top 100 tbh. Davey deserves top 50. I'd have Sylvia, Bruce, Moloney and Morton before I consider Bate.
Bate has had a great month but over the whole season I don't he should even be considered for a top 100. He will be a good player in the long term though.

Hopefully Hurn can have a huge game against the Tiges next week to sneak into the top 50.
Hurn is very close. I think him, Selwood and LeCras have been the clear standouts from WC.

You have Jackson in both the 50 and the unlucky. I wouldn't normally nit-pick like that, but you seem to take great pride in having these sort of things as accurate as possible, so I thought I'd mention it!
Haha, I'll fix it.

Disagree with Essendon's unlucky list. Winderlich/Stanton definitely not unlucky to miss top 50. Disappointing that you don't rate Ryder, easily our best player this season.

I think you should work Ryder somewhere into your top 50, remove Stanton/Winderlich from the unlucky list and add Fletcher.

Probably my biased opinion though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good list AG.

I'm a fan of both your AA effort and this but, to be nit picky (with one eye closed)

Shouldn't Presti be above Drummond?

I am aware that Presti has gone down the list and I'm a big fan of Drummo.

However, your AA team should be reflective of the top 6 players in each section of the ground.

And as you have it in the AA, Presti's in the top 6 but in the Top players, he's 7th.

I'm not sure if you could somehow fix it as Drummond has been excellent.

However these are just my thoughts and I'm just being pedantic. :)

Good list AG.

I'm a fan of both your AA effort and this but, to be nit picky (with one eye closed)

Shouldn't Presti be above Drummond?

I am aware that Presti has gone down the list and I'm a big fan of Drummo.

However, your AA team should be reflective of the top 6 players in each section of the ground.

And as you have it in the AA, Presti's in the top 6 but in the Top players, he's 7th.

I'm not sure if you could somehow fix it as Drummond has been excellent.

However these are just my thoughts and I'm just being pedantic. :)

I think Drummond is a better player this year but in the AA team I always prefer picking the best 1-on-1 defender on the last line. Presti has been that so he should get the BP position. Drummond is fighting with Goddard, Gilbert and Enright for the AA position.
I had him 30 something in the list a few weeks ago but some people thought I had him too high because he has such a one dimensional game, which is true. I try and make the rankings similar to the AA squad I do. Presti is a hard player to rank though.

I think Drummond is a better player this year but in the AA team I always prefer picking the best 1-on-1 defender on the last line. Presti has been that so he should get the BP position. Drummond is fighting with Goddard, Gilbert and Enright for the AA position.
I had him 30 something in the list a few weeks ago but some people thought I had him too high because he has such a one dimensional game, which is true. I try and make the rankings similar to the AA squad I do. Presti is a hard player to rank though.

He has a one-dimensional game, but he is so darn good at that dimension. I know your fan of his season AG but I wouldn't listen to what others say. 46th is way too low for the best 1-on-1 defender in the league. 30 something is more reflective of his season.

86648885.png

That's what I've come up with. The movements during a season were a good guide so most players are in pretty much the same position. Brad Johnson has been an overdue selection. Cooney the last but I couldn't split quite a few players. He is a match winner and found his Brownlow form in the second half of the season. Not sure on Cooney though.
If I did a top 100 the other names on the right would make up the second 50. Probably forgotten someone.

Nice list, good to see Johnson getting some recognition, his season has been severely underated by most people, has been sensational particualrly in last 2/3 of year and has led most goals assists in league all year, will also end up 2nd on dogs board voting after last week only behind Boyd.

Cooney has been good for last 8 or so weeks, but Hargrave has been better across season and I would put him at 50 instead of Cooney, played very well on weekend after 3 poor games, pretty much his only poor games for season, just happens they were 3 in a row.

Excellent list - I have my own opinion on Riewoldt but I'm not about to argue again. I know you've been actually watching the Saints this year opposed to all the people who "yeah nah" anyone who talks up the players of ours who have dominated this year. It's great to see names like Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, Gilbert and Goddard earn recognition, and even Milne listed as unlucky. People who think the Saints are the same old team and haven't watched them don't appreciate how amazing some of our players have been this year.

A quick top ten from myself...

1. Lenny Hayes

Daylight

2. Dane Swan
3. Leigh Montagna
4. Gary Ablett
5. Brendon Goddard
6. Jonathan Brown
7. Chris Judd
8. Joel Selwood
9. Matthew Boyd
10. Nick Dal Santo

Didak is set for a massive as hell 2010 though - his body was doooooodgy this year so he spent so much time struggling with form - if he gets his body right, plus a big preseason getting fitter and building an engine more equipped to a midfeild role, he could seriously have one of the best seasons ever seen from a player - on song he just tears sides apart - so creative.

Haha, I know your feelings about Riewoldt. Milne has actually been very good this season and has played well interstate. I think there has been a clear 4 best mids this year with Swan, Ablett, Montagna and Hayes.

In regards to Hargrave Griffs, he was one of the players I thought about bringing in but it would seem stupid that I have him in ahead of Maxwell, Bock, O'Brien etc., who are in my AA squad. Probably means I should have Hargrave in my AA squad. Same with Hurn.
Deledio was another I thought about. He has stormed home after an average start. 6 weeks ago I said Jackson was a certainty for the Jack Dyer medal but I think Deledio could win it now.

Good effort.

Two that stood out to me.

Mitch Clark - extremely promising, however, but he isn't the second best ruckman in the league, and certainly isn't only 4 spots behind Sandilands, considering McIntosh missed out on the Top 50 all together.

O'Keefe - Has been solid, but at #23, there have been PLENTY better playing similar position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back