2010 Western Jets Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
U18 TAC Cup Summer Training 2010 (at October 2009)
Jake Allan Hoppers Crossing
Jordon Allen Altona
Hamish Andrew Sunshine
Alyxander Banitsiotis Melton Bloods
James Beck Williamstown
Nicholas Blackney Williamstown
Victor Borg St Albans
Matthew Borzillo Keilor
Tyler Cadman Melton South
Michael Callus Melton South
Daniel Calman-Orr Williamstown
Jamie Cameron North Sunshine
Ben Casley Williamstown
Jack Charleston Spotswood
Dylan Conway Williamstown
Jaxon Cooke Werribee
Jye Cousins Darley
Ryan Davis Melton
Alec Del Papa Bacchus Marsh
Thomas Demirdjian Keilor
Matt Denham Bacchus Marsh
Brandon Donald Hoppers Crossing
Martin Donelly Maribyrnong Park
Jack Dorgan Hoppers Crossing
Jack Duncan Keilor
Mohammad El-Hawli Westbourne
Joel Evans Williamstown
Lachlan Fairley Williamstown
Jesse Fortune Werribee
Nathan Franzi Taylors Lakes
Matthew Garland Keilor
Nathan Giles Hoppers Crossing
Jack Gray Williamstown
Andrew Grosso Keilor
Ryan Harrington Werribee
Nic Holdsworth Williamstown
William Hoskin Elliott North Sunshine
Ben Humphrey Wyndamvale
Josh Huxtable Werribee
Courtney Hylton Spotswood
Corey Irving Altona
Abdul Jawad Spotswood
Dylan Jones Williamstown
Elliot Kavanagh Wiliamstown
Ryan Kelly Altona
Adam Kennedy Melton
Luke Klein-Breteler Wyndhamvale
Kevin Klix North Footscray
Ben Leonard Werribee
Jayden Manning Keilor
Ben Maud Keilor
Nick Mazzeni Bacchus Marsh
Jesse McLellan Werribee
Jordan Mead Williamstown
Victor Micallef Keilor
Justin Morris Werribee
Ben Morton Werribee
Dean Notman Melton South
Trent Rafferty Altona
Christopher Raftopoulos Keilor
Joshua Reid Bacchus Marsh
Joshua Robson Bacchus Marsh
Luke Ryan North Footscray
Daniel Schibeci Werribee
Michael Sleep-Dalton Werribee
Matthew Smith
Brayden Sneddon Hoppers Crossing
Benjamin Sortino Keilor
Sam Stephens Williamstown
Ben Stretton Hoppers Crossing
Kym Taylor Albion
Kyle Traynor Hoppers Crossing
Lewis Tudor Keilor
Mitchell Turnbull Altona
Daniel Vakirevic Bacchus Marsh
Aaron Williams Hoppers Crossing
Ethan Wright Werribee
Daniel Younan Taylors Lakes

Not a lot of names jump out when you look at that initially, so its hard to know where exactly the Jets will head in 2010. They were on record as saying they had one of their better squads in recent memory at the start of 2009 yet failed to play finals footy, so it’d be hard to see the rocketing into top four calculations this year. But sometimes in this competition, success can come when its least expected.

Can’t say I’m convinced about their 19 year old players – Sneddon and Giles are limited, but at least will give them some height. Gray was dropped to local footy in August 09 but did get a screening invite so one club must have been interested. Morris is a small defender who I guess deserves a chance after missing most of 09 with a bung shoulder. Fortune will contribute in whatever role he gets and is probably the best of the five.

Of the top agers, Casley and Conway appear the standouts. Huxtable was handy as a third tall back in 09, but whether he can be as effective if required to be a key defender this year at his height is questionable. Will be needing half a dozen others to step up.

Then of the bottom age lot Kavanagh was promising in a few games at the tail end of the season, Hoskin-Elliott is in the Vic Metro U18 squad at this stage, Taylor and Jawad represented Vic Metro 16s. There might be a bit there.

I’ll be saying the same thing when looking at Sandringham and Bendigo, but we want to see sides that haven’t been around the mark for a while have their turn up the top of the table so we’ll keep our fingers crossed the Jets can find a few surprise packets in 2010.

Will be easier to recognise without his lookalike out there this year. :cool:

I get the feeling he wont be too far away...

Jets Intra-club cancelled tonight due to 'dangerous weather'. I was looking forward to getting my first look at this year's squad.

Of that summer trainining list above..i know of 4 who didn't even turn up.

Daniel Vakirevic - all the talent in the world, a freak at any sport....just cant commit to footy.

Dont know about Notman. 3 players from the Marsh/Darley area didn't want to go. Someone i know isn't on that list and he has been training since december with them.

Any news on the Praccy match today?

Dean Notman's quit footy to join the army, with the aspiration of one day being a sniper ;)

Wasn't able to make it this morning but gathered a bit from a brief conversation with one of the guys...
Terrible conditions apparently at Altona North led to not many stand outs. Better players were Dorgan, Mead, Raftopoulos, Williams and Fortune. Harrington kicked 3 in the first half before being moved back for the second. I'd expect he'd play some TAC cup this year.

The Jets have generally got a tiny list... there would only be about 4-5 190cm+ on it and plenty of new faces, which worked in the second half of 2009. I was talking to Steve Kretiuk a few weeks ago, he was saying the squad is much more honest this year after possessing a few 'bigger names' last year. Ultimately I reckon complaceny was the reason the Jets started so slowly in 09. Word is there will be none of that this year after a pretty solid pre-season. Must give credit to the conditioning and rehab staff who have been a much more professional outfit than in previous years. Despite this there have been a few second year boys missing in action this pre-season. Guys like Conway, Huxtable Schibeci and McLellan (among others) have hardly seen the track. Conway is the sort of bloke who will not let it show even if he plays round one, but he's had a pretty wretched run and i know its not the pre-season he wanted to have. And unfortunately Huxtable got an infection from wrist surgery which has set him back a fair way after a fairly impressive first year. He looks like he's lost about 10 kgs and a heap of fitness. All the best hopefully he can set himself for round one.

A few boys need mentioning for big summers. Morton, Borg, Allan, Dorgan and Garland have apparently been burning up the track. Ben Casley will be the marquee player of this side IMO. Watch out for him in a midfeild role to increase draft potential. He, along with the likes of Conway, Fortune, Morris, Giles, Del Papa, Gray and Kennedy will be complimented by four star bottom-agers - Jawad, Hoskin-Elliot, Taylor and Kavanagh. Behind them will be a dozen or so solid players with a Kretiuk-like honesty. Should be an interesting year to contrast to last year. Somewhat of an ability vs attitude type comparison.

Dean Notman's quit footy to join the army, with the aspiration of one day being a sniper ;)

Wasn't able to make it this morning but gathered a bit from a brief conversation with one of the guys...
Terrible conditions apparently at Altona North led to not many stand outs. Better players were Dorgan, Mead, Raftopoulos, Williams and Fortune. Harrington kicked 3 in the first half before being moved back for the second. I'd expect he'd play some TAC cup this year.

The Jets have generally got a tiny list... there would only be about 4-5 190cm+ on it and plenty of new faces, which worked in the second half of 2009. I was talking to Steve Kretiuk a few weeks ago, he was saying the squad is much more honest this year after possessing a few 'bigger names' last year. Ultimately I reckon complaceny was the reason the Jets started so slowly in 09. Word is there will be none of that this year after a pretty solid pre-season. Must give credit to the conditioning and rehab staff who have been a much more professional outfit than in previous years. Despite this there have been a few second year boys missing in action this pre-season. Guys like Conway, Huxtable Schibeci and McLellan (among others) have hardly seen the track. Conway is the sort of bloke who will not let it show even if he plays round one, but he's had a pretty wretched run and i know its not the pre-season he wanted to have. And unfortunately Huxtable got an infection from wrist surgery which has set him back a fair way after a fairly impressive first year. He looks like he's lost about 10 kgs and a heap of fitness. All the best hopefully he can set himself for round one.

A few boys need mentioning for big summers. Morton, Borg, Allan, Dorgan and Garland have apparently been burning up the track. Ben Casley will be the marquee player of this side IMO. Watch out for him in a midfeild role to increase draft potential. He, along with the likes of Conway, Fortune, Morris, Giles, Del Papa, Gray and Kennedy will be complimented by four star bottom-agers - Jawad, Hoskin-Elliot, Taylor and Kavanagh. Behind them will be a dozen or so solid players with a Kretiuk-like honesty. Should be an interesting year to contrast to last year. Somewhat of an ability vs attitude type comparison.
Love your work Bachar.

Jordan Mead is an interesting one, I saw him play half a game last year for Williamstown Jnrs and he was one of few players in that game that looked a cut above others and capable of playing TAC Cup. To be honest I was a bit surprised he wasn't listed with the Jets last year. Pleased to hear he was amongst the better few players today.

The other one I'd like to list is Matthew Garland. His 2009 was ruined somewhat be injuries, but he reminded me of a few guys I'd seen over the years start in that small defender role as a bottom ager and kick on in their top age year. The pleasing thing with him was he was always at Jets games in that time while injured. It'll be interesting to see what role they give him this year. He is a very young bottom ager.

Have to agree with your comments on Casley. We saw so many times in 2009 that he'd start back, go forward or vice versa and have an impact in both roles in the same game.

Fingers crossed that 2010 will be a more successful season for the Jets.

Does anyone know how Josh Robson from Bacchus Marsh is travelling? He has really commited himself to footy over the past year.

I'd expect Ryan "Harry" Harrington to play a role down at the jets this year. Has put on some beef too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justin Morris should return Sunday for the practice match against Calder - has been out since round 3 last year due to a shoulder injury, will be good to see him have a run.

Justin Morris should return Sunday for the practice match against Calder - has been out since round 3 last year due to a shoulder injury, will be good to see him have a run.

For what i have heard there are a few back for the jets this weekend, aswell as Morris i believe Allen, Gray, Conway and possibly Del Papa will be running around aswell, not sure how much game time they will be given after not playing last weekend but it will be interesting to see how the jets go with those players back in. Should give them a bit more strength.

Made cuts tuesday suprises were Ryan harrington and Luke Klein bretener
Yes both of those cuts were a big surprise imo too...LKB played about 6 TAC games last year as a bottom age player and they cut him?? His pre-season times were apparantly better than last year and after several years in the system they let him go????
Harrington is another who the xxxxxx at the Jets have got wrong.....u15 Vic metro schoolboy rep player, u18 premiership player whilst still u16 and can play either end of the ground....had an injury and missed the praccy game against the knights and was told to play against the cannons last week (whilst still injured) otherwise would not get a gig on the list ...plays whilst injured and then then they still cut him????? Something is not right there!!!! Both those cuts are :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

morris sprained an ankle at training last week and could be out for 3, kid can't take a break.

morris sprained an ankle at training last week and could be out for 3, kid can't take a break.

From what i have heard he will only miss the Praccy against Oakleigh and should be right for round 1..... so not as bad as everyone assumed which is good.... can anyone give there input as to how they think the Jets will go this year, they dont seem to have the most talented list but they seem to gel together as a team more than last years list, ie. as shown against Calder praccy

can anyone give there input as to how they think the Jets will go this year, they dont seem to have the most talented list but they seem to gel together as a team more than last years list, ie. as shown against Calder praccy
The quality of opposition they were up against in that Calder game was suspect, but in my view the Jets did look sharper in that match than they did in an equivalent practice match 12 months ago. That is probably a reflection of the gelling together you are referring to.

In terms of draftable talent however, I think they'll once again struggle.

Casley should be in the summer Vic Metro squad, that in my view is an oversight on the selectors part. Huxtable is in there but the Jets are going to need to find him a role where he can impress (ie. not using him as an undersized key defender) and I suspect his delayed preseason won't help him at all either in terms of Metro selection. Conway blended in a lot last year in my view and has a few steps to climb to get his game to where it needs to go. If those guys are their star trio of 2010, and no where near the league of the top age talent they had going into season 2009. Unfortunately for the Jets, they lost their star for 2010 to the Gold Coast.

Maybe players like Hylton, Fairley, Garland, Schibeci will step up...those guys and others are an unknown.

Their overagers will contribute, but do they excite me? Not really. Will they help the Jets? Probably. The big guys seemed as though they've improved a bit, and will give them a strong chance in the ruck. And Jesse Fortune will rack up the stats and probably win their B&F.

Where I think they'll be most exciting is in their bottom age group. Kavanagh can play, so too can Hoskin-Elliott, Jawad and Taylor.

From what I have seen I agree with footman in the aspect they are looking sharper than last year in which within the squad they had alot more individuals playing for themselves instead of this year which from what I have seen they have in fact gelled together nicely as a squad, however I think I can't make an accurate assessment until I see them in the first match against Calder.

Will be looking forward to seeing Huxtable back after a wrist op.

Their overagers will contribute, but do they excite me? Not really. Will they help the Jets? Probably. The big guys seemed as though they've improved a bit, and will give them a strong chance in the ruck. And Jesse Fortune will rack up the stats and probably win their B&F.

How about the other overages like Morris and Gray, i mean over the last two years Morris has always stood out as one of the jets stronger players and has just been unlucky with injury and last year Gray with the state screening and some keen interests from AFL clubs, surely they will play a big part in the jets success this year? also keeping in mind they have both had interrupted pre-seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back