Review 2011/2012 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say there's a 2% chance that the bench might get extended back to 4 players (ie a 4+1 mix). There's no chance whatsoever of the sub rule itself getting scrubbed.

What's most likely is the sub rule being extended to a 2+2 mix.

Where has this 2+2 mix come from?

Where has this 2+2 mix come from?
The AFL has never made any secret that this was a possibility, depending on how the 3+1 mix went this year. They're determined to return the bench to serving its primary purpose, which is providing a pool of replacement players in case of injury.

My guess is that they'll give the 3+1 rule 3-4 years to get bedded in, allowing them to gather statistics on how well it's achieving its intended goals. If they like the numbers that they're seeing, then it's only a matter of time before they go to a 2+2 mix.

5AA received an SMS saying that Sellar, Schmidt, Cook, Young and Moran have already been told that they won't be with the club next year.

Even if it's a suppposition rather than fact, it won't be far off the truth.

If the depth in the '11 draft is so poor, why would we delist Roach and Von Bertouch. Surely they are a better options than someone who couldn't even be picked in a draft with no depth.

My opinion
Rookied, James Craig

Delist: Moran, Schmidt, Sellar, Cook, Young

Upgrade: Callinan, Wright, Riely

Draft Picks we will use, #10 and #32

Trade: Maric for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Trade that pick for something or use it on a gun SANFL player.

Nobody on that list who would be missed, that's for sure. Could very well be true, though I'd be surprised if they had been advised before the post-season reviews had even started.
Happens a bit. I know a fair few Melbourne based boys who know they're no longer with their club next year.

Helps a more amacable split when a lot of time is given and they can focus on getting to another team.

5AA received an SMS saying that Sellar, Schmidt, Cook, Young and Moran have already been told that they won't be with the club next year.

Even if it's a suppposition rather than fact, it won't be far off the truth.

Gets rid of some spuds from our list :thumbsu:

Am a tad disappointed about Will Young though, a year or so ago he looked like making it.

I felt a bit the same about Will Young. Until I went to the AFC website and found out he is only playing in the SANFL reserves. Not good enough for someone who has been on the list for 3 years.

He's been injured most of the year...

I don't think we should cut him lose, he hasn't had any opportunity. It's almost like people go "oh I haven't heard anything about Young - Spud, Delist.". You haven't heard anything because he's been injured. People were saying the EXACT same thing about Armstrong 6 weeks ago.

He may just need a pre-season. We can't judge him because he hasn't bounced back to the seniors after being out of the game most of the year.

Only those inside the club can judge this one.

I agree it could be time to cut some dead wood but we may need some mature-age insurance.

Re the talls, how about Ruory Kirkby as a rookie selection.

Can play forward or back so would be good coverage all round for all key posts. Great hands, great kick.

Might be useful for a couple years while Thompson, McKernan, Talia potentially struggle with form slumps. Good forward target if Walker, Tippett or Gunston go down (and McKernan playing in another position).

As a KPP he would have to be better than Sellar, Young, Moran.

I don't think we should cut him lose, he hasn't had any opportunity. It's almost like people go "oh I haven't heard anything about Young - Spud, Delist.". You haven't heard anything because he's been injured. People were saying the EXACT same thing about Armstrong 6 weeks ago.

He may just need a pre-season. We can't judge him because he hasn't bounced back to the seniors after being out of the game most of the year.

Only those inside the club can judge this one.

If thats the case, then I take my comment back. His spot may be helped by the departue of Phil Davis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stevens and Davis are gone.
Cook needs to go.
Either delist Moran, or trade Tippett or trade Maric.
It's time to delist Young, he's getting Brian Donnelly production at the moment right now (The odd game with a few goals)

IF we need to ditch a 5th, gotta go Symes

after that it's tough.
I'd consider ditching Doughty AFTER the draft if we can, get a ready made player in the draft.

For those mentioning Sellar, no, just no. Yeah, he's a dud, but I'd rather him than a 1st year player in defence if our thin depth (thanks Bock and Davis :rolleyes:) gets depleted.

Funny
He's played in more games than not at reserves level, and has only missed 1 game since mid-June

There are two reasons why it would be criminally insane of our list managers to use the Davis compensation pick this year.
  • Firstly, even if we get band 2 compensation (1st round, immediately after our normal 1st round pick), our compensation pick this year would not be taken until after the end of the 1st round.
  • Secondly, the 2012 draft is much better than the 2011 draft - so why not double up on our 1st round selections next year when the advantage is maximised?

Agree we should wait until next year to use Davis compensation, unless it allows us to get a player we want from the GWS pre-list.

Funny
He's played in more games than not at reserves level, and has only missed 1 game since mid-June

Only played a quarter in another game, plus had two byes. He hurt his shoulder playing for the South reserves on the weekend so hopefully its not to serious as he would of played league this week.

The wildcard is the supposedly crappy 2011 draft pool.

We might opt out, only take our first couple of selections and use rookie upgrades and trades for the remainder of our list turnover this season.

If that's the case then it might be a 12 month lifeline for Sellar, Young and co.

The wildcard is the supposedly crappy 2011 draft pool.

We might opt out, only take our first couple of selections and use rookie upgrades and trades for the remainder of our list turnover this season.

If that's the case then it might be a 12 month lifeline for Sellar, Young and co.

That's what I think we'll do, at least.

You can bet there will be plenty of recycles floating around the rookie lists of the Melbourne clubs this year.

It might be a crappy draft pool, but why would you keep Sellar when we know he is crap and will never make it?

Just a quick side note:

You upgrade rookies, you need to fill those rookie spots..

Essentially picking players ranked outside the top 90 players, using national draft picks ensures a better chance at success, however rookies are one year trials essentially..

Positions on the rookie list can be left vacant, it's something we've done before.

And how successful that has been. Always prioritize saving money over having your full list of players, if you're given the chance.

I was excited when we rookied Milera, Roach and Callinan. Now Milerais gone, people are suggesting Roach should be delisted..heck even some suggest we delist Calinan.

I hope we keep Roach for one more year and retain Calinan (not sure if on the main list or not). Definately need to keep looking in the draft for GENUINE small forwards. Lyons, Wright, Calilan, Porplyzia may be options temporarily. Still disappointed with Milera.

With Delistments (my opinion)
Know Davis, Stevens is gone
Cook-
Sellar- very frustrated with him. How long are we waiting before showing dominance at SANFL at least
Young- looked like a player. Just mabey the body cant hold up.
Moran.

Keep Maric, if he requests a trade, then fair enough. Could we get a better mature age ruck than Moran? Possibly yes.

I know it is a weak draft and all..still would go 3 deep even 4. Definately could gain a good player at #50. Choose a mature ager at our 4th pick. Despite weak drafts you can still pick up gems. Everyone gets scared off when they hear 'weak draft'. I would back Rendell and co for their identification of talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back