Review 2011 National Draft - Pick 15 Brandon Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty clear what Richmond have done. We have opened the door for one of our defenders to play in the midfield. Whether that player be Deledio, Newman, Houli or Batchelor, time can only tell. I am not too disappointed with this pick, I probably would have taken McKenzie first.

Good luck to this kid, welcome to Tigerland.

Rance, Batchelor, Grimes, Ellis and Arnot, that's going to be one tough backline in a few years. For those who think we need more midfielders, Conca, Helbig, Macarthy and most importantly Deledio will be rotating through there next year.

For those saying he's a midget:

Luke Ball - 183cm
Steele Sidebottom - 180cm
Brent Stanton - 182cm
James Kelly - 183cm
Joel Selwood - 182 cm
Sam Mitchell - 179cm
Tom Scully - 182cm
Andrew Swallow - 182cm
Leigh Montagna - 178cm

FFS even Gary Ablett is only 182cm

Being 180-183 cm does not equate to crap afl player.

Admittedly, I would be worried if he was built like a stick but he's a freaking tank!

Rance, Batchelor, Grimes, Ellis and Arnot, that's going to be one tough backline in a few years. For those who think we need more midfielders, Conca, Helbig, Macarthy and most importantly Deledio will be rotating through there next year.

Agree...and dont forget Morris... :thumbsu: ...

I really wanted Docherty (ala much like Heppell last year). As it turned out, i feel comfortable with Conca as i doubt we have seen what's really in store for him. This guy i'm sure will be a very good selection for us. We have needed strong bodied flankers for years, we are now getting them. Welcome aboard.

Can kick. Tough. Surely he's been drafted as a midfielder

Bought at the top of the market, I fear

Widely tipped to go to Freo if not us at 16 so don't really agree with that. To me he was the best available, not a big fan of Kav and not sure who I am really into after Ellis. As said this draft drops away, and Ellis is a great user of the footy and strong overhead for his size. Works hard off the ball too. Should play round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. With both Docherty and Adams already gone I think Ellis was a great selection. Happy

From the video, he is a one grab player with a good leap. Can kick the ball a long ****ing way and is brave. I am happy with this selection as he can play HBF/HFF and who knows in the future.

of the players left over after GWS and those before us, i think he is one of the few players capable of being a top player in the AFL (along with kav, crozier and obviously mitchell who was a FS)

Interesting how many goals he kicked in that highlights package up on the RFC website. I wonder if he'll be played as a half forward?

I agree with you but am curious to hear your thoughts on why.

I rate him as a hard at it mid/hbf with elite kicking. Also seems to be switched on kid.
Couple of reasons.

Takes a fair bit to call someone an elite kick but he is a good, straight long kick and he makes great decisions. Physically strong (a big knock on many of the players in this draft) and fit, hard at it and committed to a task and wins his contests more often than not. I think in a draft with so much uncertainty over the players he's a very good all round package that should be one of the better chances at being a good player.

As far as a fit for Richmond while I do consider him more defender than mid I really like the way you've gone about beefing up and completing your back line this year. Reminds me a bit of how we went last year recruiting McCarthy, Watson, Laidler and Duigan as well as moving Henderson and Yarran down there. Look at the good teams the last few years (Geelong, Collingwood) and they have very strong, deep defences. Getting Ellis and Morris, another year into Batchelor and having Astbury and Grimes back injury free next year really gives you some depth, quality and competition for spots. Also small forwards have really troubled you over recent years, you've added two guys who will help put a stop to that.

Looks like a hard nut who is gonna be bald at 25. I like it, will be interested to see what position/role he plays. I hope he can play a shut down role as well as defensive rebound

Remove this Banner Ad

Back