NFL 2011 NFL Playoffs - AFC Conference Championship - Ravens @ Patriots

Re: 2011/12 AFC Championship Game: New England vs Baltimore

Just before HT with 1 min remaining on clock, Pats take knee to run off time. Ravens had 2 TOs left. Considering Pats were at own 10 yd line wouldn't it have been worth Ravens taking TOs? At least to force Pats to punt, they would have got ball back at own 30 or 40 yd line.

MSG77

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2005
---

I disagree. It's time we got some BS luck back our way. Unfortunate for Ravens fans, but we know how you feel.

A Pats fan complaining about luck?

Well I never ;)

Meh. Pats had plenty of luck winning in 01 when they weren't the best team.

But they were the best team in 07 and didn't win. Probably evens out.

In the end its usually all a bit of luck. Nothing is certain. That's what makes it fun. And right now its fun for both Pats and Giants fans.

Although the tuck rule was technically the correct call and the Raiders had several chances to win the game with a 1st down late and couldn't get it.

No way that is luckier than Eli not being called in the grasp and the Giants not getting any of 2 facemask calls on their linemen on the play and then Eli just heaving a prayer and then Tyree making a one handed catch against his helmet while one of the best safties ever tried to punch it away. So it would be hard to argue anything was "luckier" than that. Just sayin' :D ;)

Hmmm....kind of weird. Sterling Moore couldn't hold Rodney Harrison's jock strap but he somehow managed to knock away a GW TD today while Rodney couldn't break up the helmet catch (to say nothing of Zant dropping a pick in his hands a few plays before when he is one of the best INT corners of the last 10 years). So maybe today was "payback" for SB42 and the Pats are destined to win even tho they probably should have lost.

Maybe the helmet catch was "payback" for the non PI call on the botched FG against the Niners in 02. Maybe...ahh, s**t. This can go on forever.

Needless to say, to win a championship you need some things to go your way.

MSG77

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2005
---

Just before HT with 1 min remaining on clock, Pats take knee to run off time. Ravens had 2 TOs left. Considering Pats were at own 10 yd line wouldn't it have been worth Ravens taking TOs? At least to force Pats to punt, they would have got ball back at own 30 or 40 yd line.

Had Ravens taken TO, Pats would have run offense because they couldn't run it out. I don't think the Ravens wanted that.

What if you take a TO and Pats break a play and end up scoring?

When the other team is taking a knee you usually let them. No danger in going to half down 13-10.

Tuck Rule Game has only been ten years, Rory.....

I don't see how the rules of the game can be considered luck. Anyway don't care, in the SB now. I hope everyone is enjoying their MAD.

MSG77

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2005
---

Who said we weren't lucky in 07? ;)

Not me. :p

Hey, don't want to jinx your Giants, but -

To continue a discussion from earlier in the thread about beating teams that "suck" -

Pats didn't beat anyone over .500 in the regular season and just made the SB.

Giants were 1-3 against teams over .500 with the one win against .... the Pats. Who hadn't beaten anyone over .500.

If the Giants win, this has to be the 1st time ever that the 2 teams in the SB beat 1 team combined over .500. And that team was the other team who hadn't beaten anyone.

Crazy. Is this just the NFL now? Where everyone is highly mediocre? It just seems like everyone "sucks" at something.

The parity in this league is incredible. It really does just come down to making the playoffs and making a few plays and getting some luck at the right time.

No wonder why its so interesting.

Had Ravens taken TO, Pats would have run offense because they couldn't run it out. I don't think the Ravens wanted that.

What if you take a TO and Pats break a play and end up scoring?

When the other team is taking a knee you usually let them. No danger in going to half down 13-10.

Yeah but even after the first knee. They're now 2nd and 10 on own 10. Odds are in your favour. Even if they make 1st down they're more likely to take a knee. But yeah can see Ravens going conservative there.

MSG77

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2005
---

Parity? Since 04 only 3 AFC teams have made the SB.

There's your parity :p

According to GG it's conspiracy.

NFL loves Kraft and the Rooneys. And of course the 1st family of the NFL - the Mannings. They would rather the league fold than have the Raiders make the SB. :D

So of course Eli + Mara's (another NFL royal family) = SuperBowl :p

Only Tom Coughlin has been screwing things up or else the Giants would make it every other year as well. ;)

MSG77

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2005
---

If Giants win they're favs for SB. Cruz and Nicks will cause huge problems to Pats secondary.

Realistically any team with a halfway decent QB and 2 receivers who have a pulse can cause huge problems to the Pats secondary.

Honestly, during the regular season I would often switch over to another game when the Pats were on D because it was so infuriating.

Now that its the playoffs I have to watch cuz there is no other game and believe me its not fun.

Flacco showed today that our worst fears were true. When you aren't playing Tebow or a non-playoff QB teams are going to move the ball fairly easily against the Pats D.

It may be "improved" but its only improved from "worst defense I've ever seen" to "worst defense I've ever seen that somehow made the SB". :eek:

Honestly, how are they there again? A missed 32 FG? Must be destiny.

honestly, how are they there again? A missed 32 fg? Must be destiny.

Myra Kraft :)

Astro_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Biggest kick of his career....why wouldn't you call a time out.

Anyway, that last field goal attempt reminds me of Ray Finkle

Mar 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Realistically any team with a halfway decent QB and 2 receivers who have a pulse can cause huge problems to the Pats secondary.

Honestly, during the regular season I would often switch over to another game when the Pats were on D because it was so infuriating.

Now that its the playoffs I have to watch cuz there is no other game and believe me its not fun.

Flacco showed today that our worst fears were true. When you aren't playing Tebow or a non-playoff QB teams are going to move the ball fairly easily against the Pats D.

It may be "improved" but its only improved from "worst defense I've ever seen" to "worst defense I've ever seen that somehow made the SB". :eek:

Shut up

If this is what you are like when they win, I hate to see it if they lost...

dart

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Claremont Jets

just watched the ravens press conference, joe flacco's moustache

it's ridiculous.

Twitter's been ****ed all morning, too many Pats fanboys on it.:p
Probably the opposite actually.
All the Anti-Pat fanboys were on at the time.
Karma is a b**** and so is that absolute no talent face mask grabber, Ray Lewis.

Go home Ravens and stay in your scummy city for another off-season. Losers.

Go Pats!

**** off, this is the ****ed up *ed s**t that some Packer fans did around here last year.

You shut up for the whole ****ing season, and the first we really have to deal with you is when you're rubbing it in to Raven fans when you're in the bloody superbowl.

You're a disgrace to Patriot fans. :thumbsdown: (Lucky I'm not going to judge them all off of you)

Also - Question to those who saw the game. What did Sterling Moore do which was getting these comments over the last few pages?

Irvin11

Senior List
Oct 28, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, New England, Stanford

Also - Question to those who saw the game. What did Sterling Moore do which was getting these comments over the last few pages?

Basically Lee Evans catches the game winning TD and then Sterling Moore batted it away.

Probably the opposite actually.
All the Anti-Pat fanboys were on at the time.

**** off, this is the ****ed up *ed s**t that some Packer fans did around here last year.

You shut up for the whole ****ing season, and the first we really have to deal with you is when you're rubbing it in to Raven fans when you're in the bloody superbowl.

You're a disgrace to Patriot fans. :thumbsdown: (Lucky I'm not going to judge them all off of you)

Well at least he watches the playoff games.

What's with the bagging newbies on here? This is how people convert to the game, by watching playoffs and SBs.

Well at least he watches the playoff games.

What's with the bagging newbies on here? This is how people convert to the game, by watching playoffs and SBs.
Less to do with being a newbie, more to do with being a twat.

Jul 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Nth Adl Roosters, NY Knicks,WestHam

If Giants win they're favs for SB. Cruz and Nicks will cause huge problems to Pats secondary.

100% agree....not to mention the trouble that NYG front 4 will give Brady....I really can't understand how NE have been installed as favourites for this game, they are going down, NYG are by FAR the better team overall with really good balance.

Really happy to get out of that game today with Brady having one of the worst games i've seen him play. Some of those plays today had me scratching my head wondering WTF was going on. That won't happen again in 2 weeks time, l think we'll see the completely switched on and steely focused brady we've seen when the Pats are really questioned as they will be over these 2 weeks with all the 07 talk and that.

Vince Wilfork - massive game, unstoppable one on one. BJGE - huge first half, WW - always there for those 3rd down plays, so important in the big one.

I really don't want to see Brady throw to Edelman or Slater in the Superbowl, Branch would be the better option to at least get his hands on the ball and not let the opposition get away with an easy int.

Throughout the season l never really thought we had the team to go all the way, D was horrible early, special teams OK, O great. But over the last 6-8 weeks something has turned it around, a bit of luck here and there but mostly hard work, smart planning from BB and MHK to play for, there's no reason why we can't do it again in 2 weeks time.

It would be an understatement to say we owe them one.

Really happy to get out of that game today with Brady having one of the worst games i've seen him play. Some of those plays today had me scratching my head wondering WTF was going on. That won't happen again in 2 weeks time, l think we'll see the completely switched on and steely focused brady we've seen when the Pats are really questioned as they will be over these 2 weeks with all the 07 talk and that.

Vince Wilfork - massive game, unstoppable one on one. BJGE - huge first half, WW - always there for those 3rd down plays, so important in the big one.
You really need to watch more of his post Spygate post season performances :p

BABYBOMBERS2007

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, Ferrari, Pens,Suns,Redsox

A missed kick. Kickers get enough slack when they miss, but like this. The fallout will be huge. I wish it had gone to OT. Don't mind NE winning, but was cheering for Baltimore.

Back