14. Tomlinson
15. Webster
16. Patton
17. Hoskin-Elliott
18. B. Ellis
19. Crozier
20. Lincoln Mccarthy

Absolutely NAILED IT boys.

All things considered a pretty crappy draft.

Here's how I have it:

1. Neale
2. Greene
3. Yeo
4. Coniglio
5. Adams
6. Tom Mitchell
7. Haynes
8. Docherty
9. Wingard
10. Laird
11. Ross
12. Devon Smith
13. B. Hill
14. Crisp
15. Witts
16. Blicavs
17. Hoskin-Elliott
18. Hamling
19. B. Ellis
20. Crozier

* Mitchell's lower ranking affected by his horrible injury which unfortunately I'm assuming will hamper him for the rest of his career.

* Greene at #2 assuming he remains uninjured and unsuspended for the rest of his career - wishful thinking perhaps.

* Hard to split Yeo, Coniglio and Adams as all are guns. Might be my West Coast bias having Yeo at #3 but you'd be happy with any of them.

I'm taking Mitchell, Adams and Laird before Coniglio. Having a Brownlow medalist behind Captain Omission is a pretty criminal.

Cogs is a false star. Much like his mate O'Meara. Looks a million bucks in some games. Handsome and marketable. In other games look about a C grade player at best.

1. Lachie Neale
(Jeremy Cameron)
2. Tom Mitchell
3. Toby Greene
(Dayne Zorko)
4. Elliot Yeo
(Adam Treloar)
5. Nick Haynes
6. Mark Blicavs
7. Rory Laird
(Dylan Shiel)
8. Chad Wingard
9. Stephen Conigilo
10. Sam Docherty
11. Taylor Adams
12. Jack Crisp
(Jamie Elliott)
13. Brad Hill
14. Brandon Ellis
(Josh Bruce)
15. Jarrod Witts
16. Sebastian Ross
17. Devon Smith
18. Aaron Hall
19. Will Hoskin-Elliott
20. Lincoln McCarthy

Have included the pre-listed players that joined an AFL list at the end of 2011 as well. Pretty damn solid draft though GWS having so many picks masks it. Lots of fairly-injury prone players here!

If you factor in the 17 year olds that Greater Western Sydney were able to pre-sign, this is one of the all time great drafts.

B: Rory Laird (Rookie Pick 5), Mark Blicavs (Rookie Pick 54), Sam Docherty (Pick 12)
HB: Jack Crisp (Rookie Pick 40), Nick Haynes (Pick 7), Brandon Ellis (Pick 15)
C: Adam Treloar (GWS underage selection), Lachie Neale (Pick 58), Dylan Shiel (GWS underage selection)
HF: Chad Wingard (Pick 6), Jeremy Cameron (GWS underage selection), Devon Smith (Pick 14)
F: Toby Greene (Pick 11), Jonathon Patton (Pick 1), Lincoln McCarthy (Pick 66)
R: Jarrod Witts (Pick 67), Tom Mitchell (Pick 21), Elliot Yeo (Pick 30)
I: Taylor Adams (Pick 13), Stephen Coniglio (Pick 2), Brad Hill (Pick 33), Seb Ross (Pick 25)

Aaron Hall, Jack Newnes, Sam Frost, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Harry Cunningham, Alex Sexton, Jed Bews, Hayden Crozier, Jimmy Webster and Adam Tomlinson are amongst the other 100 gamers from this draft that couldn't crack the 22.

1. Lachie Neale
(Jeremy Cameron)
2. Tom Mitchell
3. Toby Greene
(Dayne Zorko)
4. Elliot Yeo
(Adam Treloar)
5. Nick Haynes
6. Mark Blicavs
7. Rory Laird
(Dylan Shiel)
8. Chad Wingard
9. Stephen Conigilo
10. Sam Docherty
11. Taylor Adams
12. Jack Crisp
(Jamie Elliott)
13. Brad Hill
14. Brandon Ellis
(Josh Bruce)
15. Jarrod Witts
16. Sebastian Ross
17. Devon Smith
18. Aaron Hall
19. Will Hoskin-Elliott
20. Lincoln McCarthy

Have included the pre-listed players that joined an AFL list at the end of 2011 as well. Pretty damn solid draft though GWS having so many picks masks it. Lots of fairly-injury prone players here!

Hamling about the only notable guy not to make the top 20. Not a very deep draft.

Ellis-Yolmen never had ties to GWS.

Also, Giles was originally on Port Adelaide's list for at least 3 seasons without a league game.
oops mixed Hampton up with CEY I think

CEY still a 2011 draft prospect tho

Giles was prelisted in this year by GWS, so can count him or not idno

Fact is that a lot of the depth was taken by GWS, draft looks a bit deeper once its all added back in

Still not a great draft tbh, Freo managed to pick the #1 pick at 58

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Lachie Neale
(Jeremy Cameron)
2. Tom Mitchell
3. Toby Greene
(Dayne Zorko)
4. Elliot Yeo
(Adam Treloar)
5. Nick Haynes
6. Mark Blicavs
7. Rory Laird
(Dylan Shiel)
8. Chad Wingard
9. Stephen Conigilo
10. Sam Docherty
11. Taylor Adams
12. Jack Crisp
(Jamie Elliott)
13. Brad Hill
14. Brandon Ellis
(Josh Bruce)
15. Jarrod Witts
16. Sebastian Ross
17. Devon Smith
18. Aaron Hall
19. Will Hoskin-Elliott
20. Lincoln McCarthy

Tory Dickson didn't have the longevity (retired 2020) of others, but surely he's worth a shout ahead of the last 4 players. Premiership winning full forward

Tory Dickson didn't have the longevity (retired 2020) of others, but surely he's worth a shout ahead of the last 4 players. Premiership winning full forward
He did play 114 games, though...with career figures of 181.61, or just over 75%.

One of the most accurate shots for goal in the history of the game.

Would definitely have him in the top 20 before Devon Smith.

Last edited:
Heading into their 12th seasons, Mitchell, Greene and Neale top 3, yeah?

Any challengers?

Can Witts make the leap into the elite?

This might sound crazy but I would take Blicavs ahead of any of those and I don't even think it's a remotely difficult choice.

The footy public don't rate the defensive side of the game anywhere near highly enough or understand how important transition is. And Blicavs is an extremely good defensive player and undoubtedly the best transition player to ever play the game.

People talk about other AFL players running ability but he would still absolutely blow every other player out of the water. You get the best transition player in the league, one of the best defensive players, a very solid mid/wing and a very competent ruck (excellent for a number 2 ruck) in one package.

I'm not saying he's a better player than Neale but there are 50+ really good mids in the game. There is nobody that comes close to Blicavs in his role so I think you're better off picking him number 1. Quality key forwards are rarer but I'd take him ahead of Lynch, Cameron, Curnow, etc too for the same reason.

This might sound crazy but I would take Blicavs ahead of any of those and I don't even think it's a remotely difficult choice.

The footy public don't rate the defensive side of the game anywhere near highly enough or understand how important transition is. And Blicavs is an extremely good defensive player and undoubtedly the best transition player to ever play the game.

People talk about other AFL players running ability but he would still absolutely blow every other player out of the water. You get the best transition player in the league, one of the best defensive players, a very solid mid/wing and a very competent ruck (excellent for a number 2 ruck) in one package.

I'm not saying he's a better player than Neale but there are 50+ really good mids in the game. There is nobody that comes close to Blicavs in his role so I think you're better off picking him number 1. Quality key forwards are rarer but I'd take him ahead of Lynch, Cameron, Curnow, etc too for the same reason.
Blicavs has been a brilliant pick up by Geelong, but you are showing an enormous bias towards your club.

Labelling him the best transition player EVER is a bold statement and you don't even define what that means. He does play very well in multiple positions, but that is mostly because he doesn't actually dominate to demand a set position.

I will grant him as the best steeplechaser to play Aussie Rules.

As good as he is even Geelong would trade him if the alternative was lose Jeremy Cameron.

Bolded players are still active, and games listed for those no longer in the system

B: Rory Laird (Rookie Pick 5), Mark Blicavs (Rookie Pick 54), Sam Docherty (Pick 12)
HB: Jack Crisp (Rookie Pick 40), Nick Haynes (Pick 7), Brandon Ellis (Pick 15)
C: Adam Treloar (GWS underage selection), Lachie Neale (Pick 58), Brad Hill (Pick 33)
HF: Chad Wingard (Pick 6), Jeremy Cameron (GWS underage selection),
Devon Smith (Pick 14, 182 games)
F: Toby Greene (Pick 11), Josh Bruce (GWS zone selection, 163 games), Lincoln McCarthy (Pick 66)
R: Jarrod Witts (Pick 67), Tom Mitchell (Pick 21), Elliot Yeo (Pick 30)
I:
Taylor Adams (Pick 13), Stephen Coniglio (Pick 2), Dylan Shiel (GWS underage selection), Harry Cunningham (Rookie Pick 93)

Team 2:
B: Jed Bews (Pick 86), Joel Hamling (Pick 32), Adam Tomlinson (Pick 9)
HB: Jimmy Webster (Pick 42), Sam Frost (RD Pick 1), Aaron Hall (PSD Pick 7, 161 games)
C: Jack Newnes (Pick 37, 207 games), Sebastian Ross (Pick 25), Jordan Murdoch (Pick 48, 122 games)
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott (Pick 4), Jonathon Patton (Pick 1, 95 games), Tomas Bugg (GWS underage selection, 96 games)
F: Alex Sexton (Pick 88), Tory Dickson (Pick 57, 114 games), Mark Baguley (RD Pick 47, 134 games)
R: Billy Longer (Pick 8, 66 games), Sam Gibson (RD Pick 63, 135 games), Dom Tyson (Pick 3, 113 games)
I: Hayden Crozier (Pick 20), Nathan Wilson (GWS underage selection, 155 games), Lee Spurr (RD Pick 8, 120 games), Adam Kennedy (GWS pre-selection)

Ranking this draft is no easy feat. One of the best drafts in history.

Top tier:
1. Jeremy Cameron
2. Lachie Neale
3. Toby Greene

Next tier:
4. Tom Mitchell
5. Rory Laird
6. Elliot Yeo
7. Mark Blicavs
8. Adam Treloar
9. Sam Docherty
10. Stephen Coniglio
11. Dylan Shiel
12. Nick Haynes
13. Jack Crisp
14. Taylor Adams
15. Jarrod Witts
16. Chad Wingard
17. Brad Hill

Best of the rest:
18. Brandon Ellis
19. Josh Bruce
20. Devon Smith
21. Harry Cunningham
22. Lincoln McCarthy
23. Will Hoskin-Elliott
24. Seb Ross
25. Jonathon Patton
26. Jed Bews
27. Sam Frost
28. Jimmy Webster
29. Joel Hamling
30. Aaron Hall

Ranking this draft is no easy feat. One of the best drafts in history.

Top tier:
1. Jeremy Cameron
2. Lachie Neale
3. Toby Greene

Next tier:
4. Tom Mitchell
5. Rory Laird
6. Elliot Yeo
7. Mark Blicavs
8. Adam Treloar
9. Sam Docherty
10. Stephen Coniglio
11. Dylan Shiel
12. Nick Haynes
13. Jack Crisp
14. Taylor Adams
15. Jarrod Witts
16. Chad Wingard
17. Brad Hill

Best of the rest:
18. Brandon Ellis
19. Josh Bruce
20. Devon Smith
21. Harry Cunningham
22. Lincoln McCarthy
23. Will Hoskin-Elliott
24. Seb Ross
25. Jonathon Patton
26. Jed Bews
27. Sam Frost
28. Jimmy Webster
29. Joel Hamling
30. Aaron Hall

I'd have Blicavs 4th and 6th is too high for Yeo who I'd probably have 10-15th.

Also think Witts is underrated given the scarcity of rucks he'd be worth going a bit higher than the good mids that every team seems to have a couple of at least.

I'd have Blicavs 4th and 6th is too high for Yeo who I'd probably have 10-15th.

Also think Witts is underrated given the scarcity of rucks he'd be worth going a bit higher than the good mids that every team seems to have a couple of at least.
Knew Yeo would be contentious but from a personal perspective, I had him as a top 10 player in the game in 2018 and 19. Won a premiership, 2 AA's (robbed in 2018, should be three), 2x B&Fs. Superstar he was.

Problem is we've long seen the best of him and from here, guys I listed below like Blicavs, Docherty, Cogs etc can only make up ground from here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back