4. Stephen Conigilio
5. Chad Wingard
6. Rory Laird
7. Sam Docherty
8. Taylor Adams
9. Will Hoskin-Elliot
10. Jack Crisp

Next 3: Seb Ross, Devon Smith, Toby Greene

Really strong draft, funny to think that GWS was dealt such a strong hard yet they have only retained 1 from the top 10.

However, it's a really good draft in terms of consistency and good-very good players.

Only 1 match winner and top 10 in the comp that is Mitchell. Crisp is probably the best medium defender in the comp right now but that doesn't really mean much. Neale, Yeo, Conigilio are all top 25 midfielders but not part of the very best.
Crisp or Hoskin Elliott ahead of Toby Greene is a massive stretch. Greene's an All Australian, BnF and a proven match winner.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
1. Tom Mitchell
2. Stephen Coniglio
3. Toby Greene
4. Chad Wingard
5. Lachie Neale
6. Rory Laird
7. Elliott Yeo
8. Sam Docherty
9. Devon Smith
10. Taylor Adams

11. Haynes
12. Hoskin-Elliott
13. Patton
14. Blicavs
15. Ross
16. Witts
17. Crisp
18. Hill
19. Sexton
20. Frost

1. Mitchell
  2. Wingard
  3. Greene
  4. Laird
  5. Coniglio
  6. Docherty
  7. Neale
  8. Ross
  9. Hill
  10. Tomlinson
  11. Ellis
  12. D.Smith
  13. Yeo
  14. Tyson
  15. Patton
  16. Hamling
  17. Witts
  18. Newnes
How Blicavs isn’t on this list is baffling. Best stopping back in the league last year and dual BnF.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
2x B&F winner
2x AA
Brownlow medalist

Well and truly in the discussion for being at the top

That’s fair enough, but two of those awards are decided by idiots and the other is based upon relative performances at one club....

He is certainly in the top couple, but I don’t agree he is the best. He is a very good footballer, would get a game at every club - but not who I would pick first.

Now, you can argue my view is biased by my own club needs - which is true !! :p

How Blicavs isn’t on this list is baffling. Best stopping back in the league last year and dual BnF.
Perhaps because Blicavs wasn't drafted, he was signed as a category B rookie through the unregistered player rule and his being called out in the rookie draft was purely a formality.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How Taylor Adams isn’t in some people’s top ten is absolutely baffling

My top 10 would include:

1. Mitchell
2. Greene
3. Yeo
4. Wingard
5. Neale
6. Laird
7. Docherty
8. Coniglio
9. Blicavs
10. Ross

It's really not out of the question to rate Adams outside the top 10 (being 11th for me). Only guys I can really see him being rated above out of my list would be Blicavs and Ross, and even then that's a push. Don't really see how rating him outside the top 10 is baffling

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Only two of this ten will be with their original clubs in 2019.
Some pretty good horse-trading to bring them in.
Yep I suspect many of the drafts will look like this after 7 years. Although these players didn’t move through Free Agency, FA has changed the landscape for players to leave clubs. (Too much in my opinion, but that’s a discussion for another thread)

One club players who play 10+ years are becoming rarer.

You’d suspect a big push for Coniglio to leave will come this year too. Personally would take him at #1 over Mitchell, Yeo & Greene.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
My top 10 would include:

1. Mitchell
2. Greene
3. Yeo
4. Wingard
5. Neale
6. Laird
7. Docherty
8. Coniglio
9. Blicavs
10. Ross

It's really not out of the question to rate Adams outside the top 10 (being 11th for me). Only guys I can really see him being rated above out of my list would be Blicavs and Ross, and even then that's a push. Don't really see how rating him outside the top 10 is baffling

Adams has definitely had a better career than Blicavs and Ross to date

MartinLifts130

Senior List
Feb 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Crisp or Hoskin Elliott ahead of Toby Greene is a massive stretch. Greene's an All Australian, BnF and a proven match winner.
and how many games has he averaged over the last 2 seasons? Was he B n F/match winner/All Australia?

Just because a player has had a really good season doesn't mean he's at that level for the rest of his career.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The underrating of Haynes is palpable. I just wish it extended to opposition analysts. So is the overrating if players we took in the draft that are more visible with other clubs.
Adam's and Smith the only two that should be at this stage. WHE might make it in time.

Last edited:
Back