Draft Review 2011 - Redo the 2011 AFL Draft

Taylor Adams 2018 DE-67.4%
Devon Smith 2018 DE-63.6%

Adams isn't a good disposer, but Smith is one of the worst kicks in the AFL.
Disposal efficiency is necessarily a good indicator of kicking quality as firstly doesn't take into account those who handball more & secondly better kickers take more risks. Way too simplistic.

Eg. Matt Crouch would have a better DE than Brodie Smith or Wayne Milera, but you won't find anyone serious claiming Crouch is a better kick.

MartinLifts130

Senior List
Feb 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Disposal efficiency is necessarily a good indicator of kicking quality as firstly doesn't take into account those who handball more & secondly better kickers take more risks. Way too simplistic.

Eg. Matt Crouch would have a better DE than Brodie Smith or Wayne Milera, but you won't find anyone serious claiming Crouch is a better kick.
except that's not the case (get your facts straight)...

crouch:69%
milera:79%
smith:77%

... it gets worse if you think about how the very few effective disposals smith has are actually from his handballs and not his kicks.

except that's not the case...

crouch:69%
milera:79%
smith:77%

... it gets worse if you think about how the very few effective disposals smith has are actually from his handballs and not his kicks.
Over the course of his career, Brodie Smith has had a lower DE than many in the team because he takes more risks & handballs little, which the point I'm making that DE is not a good indicator of kicking quality.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Over the course of his career, Brodie Smith has had a lower DE than many in the team because he takes more risks & handballs little, which the point I'm making that DE is not a good indicator of kicking quality.
Smith every year since 2012 has had disposal effencieny of around 75-80, which is pretty much elite. Lowest effiency he has had is 70% which is still decent.

MartinLifts130

Senior List
Feb 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Smith every year since 2012 has had disposal effencieny of around 75-80, which is pretty much elite. Lowest effiency he has had is 70% which is still decent.
did u even check before u posted? 2017-69%, 2016-71%, so no he hasn't had 75-80 for every year since 2012

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
One of the reasons why Devon didn't get much midfield time at GWS was because he was a relatively poor user of the ball.

Rubbish, he didn’t get more midfield time because they had a stack of better ball winners. If Shiel is getting relegated to a wing no chance Smith gets in there.

MartinLifts130

Senior List
Feb 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Devon Smith is a very effective kick under 40. It’s pure lunacy that he’s a poor user, he gets very little easy ball.
37% of his touches are contested. most inside mids are above 50%... cripps-59%, danger-53%, fyfe-54%, cunnington-59%, parker-57%, yeo-50%, oliver-55%, brownlow medalist cotchin-52%. he gets less of his own ball than others, less clearances than others and a lower disposal efficiency. he's showing exactly why he was 7th in line at giants after kelly/cogs/shiel/scully/ward/treloar. if he isn't a good tackler he'd just be a worse version of miles

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
37% of his touches are contested. most inside mids are above 50%... cripps-59%, danger-53%, fyfe-54%, cunnington-59%, parker-57%, yeo-50%, oliver-55%, brownlow medalist cotchin-52%. he gets less of his own ball than others, less clearances than others and a lower disposal efficiency. he's showing exactly why he was 7th in line at giants after kelly/cogs/shiel/scully/ward/treloar. if he isn't a good tackler he'd just be a worse version of miles

Didn’t say anything about contested ball, he gets very little ball behind or lateral of the play. I literally just said he was a worse ball winner than most st GWS so there is a clear distinction at intent. If he runs a player down forces the turnover and gets a handball receive on the way back that’s an uncontested possession and something he excels at. Far from an easy possession though.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Have you watched Smith play? None of these inside mids you've quoted play a similar game style to Smith at all.

Comparing him to Miles is proof you have no understanding of the type of player he is. Miles is an undersized inside player who does his best work at stoppages but is a liability on the spread and provides very little defensive pressure. Smith is the exact opposite type of player

drama5

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2009
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
no use trying to make a wall change its bricks haha i am sure you have a stat to prove every argument lol thats the beauty about stats isnt it lol and the internet makes it so easy =p

after all did you know that in a recent study 100% of those tested went for a jog every day! showing great participation in physical excercise.

alternatively 100% failed to go for a run showing very poor participation in physical excercise

funny that

Yeah nah. Early days he had his chance.
Nah, yeah. Shiel, Coniglio, Adams, Scully, Ward and Treloar were all there too in the early days, home boy.

Also note that Devon was drafted as a small forward after playing championships as a small forward.

Casual supporters shouldn't talk history.

Last edited:
Nah, yeah. Shiel, Coniglio, Adams, Scully, Ward and Treloar were all there too in the early days, home boy.

Also note that Devon was drafted as a small forward after playing TAC Cup as a small forward.

Casual supporters shouldn't talk history.
Rubbish. They had Ward, Scully and a bunch of kids. Who they became isn't what they were. They tried them all and those found wanting were given other roles or moved on. Green was another failed midfielder for the exact same reasons. He was just a far better forward than Smith turned out to be.

Move on Dons supporters. Your bias is blinding you.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
did u even check before u posted? 2017-69%, 2016-71%, so no he hasn't had 75-80 for every year since 2012
According to footywire, each season he had efficiency of:

2012 75%
2013 80%
2014 78%
2015 70%
2016 73%
2017 77%
2018 77%

And according to footywire, your numbers are wrong.

Two seasons below 75% instead of one season which i must have missed, still an average of over 75% efficiency since 2012.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Yeah nah. Early days he had his chance.

And finished equal 2nd in the b&f his third year playing big midfield minutes. His issue was injury and the fact that GWS drafted 20 midfielders and no genuine smalls. He’s as much a small forward as Shiel was a winger. Very capable but better used elsewhere and you’re not going to see Ward playing forward or out loose are you?

MartinLifts130

Senior List
Feb 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

MartinLifts130

Senior List
Feb 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
According to footywire, each season he had efficiency of:

2012 75%
2013 80%
2014 78%
2015 70%
2016 73%
2017 77%
2018 77%

And according to footywire, your numbers are wrong.

Two seasons below 75% instead of one season which i must have missed, still an average of over 75% efficiency since 2012.
hahaha this is actual next level of incompetency can't even read off simple numbers

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-essendon-bombers--devon-smith?advv=Y

2012 63.2%
2013 64.1%
2014 69.7%
2015 64.7%
2016 71.8%
2017 68.9%
2017 63.6%

1 season in the last 7 with a 70%+ efficiency... good kick boys...and even the one with a 70+% efficiency was the year where he missed 8 games, probably would've hit sub 70% had he played out all of hsi games

MartinLifts130

Senior List
Feb 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey, i suggest you look at which Smith the guy and i were actually talking about.

Next level incompetence? Spare me, read full posts before you try prove someone wrong, lol.

Edit:
Since you have trouble reading, heres the post made by Kane McGoodwin i was quoting.

Must suck knowing you went to all that effort researching to try look smart, yet you weren’t even looking up stats for the player we were talking about hahahaha.
are you okay in the head? literally the last 2 pages was all about devon smith, not brodie smith, who isn't even from the 2011 draft... noones disputing brodie smith is a good user of the ball. he claimed smith had lower efficiency than crouch and milera, which both weren't true.

were you that one kid who just physically could not stay on one topic? teacher asks you what's the equation for photosynthesis is and you start arguing that the sky is blue...

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights

I like how you slipped in Brownlow medallist for Cotchin but not for Fyfe. You're a funny little campaigner

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
One of the reasons why Devon didn't get much midfield time at GWS was because he was a relatively poor user of the ball.
Do not agree at all.

He was pushed into a forward role but so was Toby Greene. Toby was the poor user user of the ball as an inside mid, and is still questionable when he has a run there. Devon Smith was always an outside player with us.

His field kicking to my observation is superb. I would rate him with Nathan Wilson as our best in 2016. It's not stats but his ability to hit a teamate on the chest reliably from 50m, and do real damage by foot.

His goal shooting was oddly weak, but he seems to have improved with the Bombers, and he mostly seems to get the shots he should now.

Hey, i suggest you look at which Smith the guy and i were actually talking about.

Next level incompetence? Spare me, read full posts before you try prove someone wrong, lol.

Edit:
Since you have trouble reading, heres the post made by Kane McGoodwin i was quoting.

Must suck knowing you went to all that effort researching to try look smart, yet you weren’t even looking up stats for the player we were talking about hahahaha.
My point remains that disposal efficiency is not a good indicator of kicking quality. Take the Crows season...

Jake Kelly the highest on 85% is one of the least damaging kicks in our side so nearly always takes the short safe option.

Followed by other defenders who usually take the safe options - Cheney 83%, Brown 83%, Otten 81%, Talia 81% & Doedee 81%.

Meanwhile our players who have the ability to take the riskier kicks to setup attacks have lower DE - Milera 79%, Smith 77%, Seedsman 72% & Atkins 72%. These 4 players have far better kicking skills than the first group of defenders as are our playmakers.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
My point remains that disposal efficiency is not a good indicator of kicking quality. Take the Crows season...

Jake Kelly the highest on 85% is one of the least damaging kicks in our side so nearly always takes the short safe option.

Followed by other defenders who usually take the safe options - Cheney 83%, Brown 83%, Otten 81%, Talia 81% & Doedee 81%.

Meanwhile our players who have the ability to take the riskier kicks to setup attacks have lower DE - Milera 79%, Smith 77%, Seedsman 72% & Atkins 72%. These 4 players have far better kicking skills than the first group of defenders as are our playmakers.
The entire foundation of the argument I've read here is that different type of players' DE cannot be compared straight away. Taking away where Adams (on the bench when not on-ball, whoever stated he rotates through defence has absolutely no idea) and Smith (partially in forward line, partially on the bench) spend their secondary minutes, they both play the grunt inside midfielder.

Sure you can make exceptions and show contradictory evidences from the back-half, but the same logic doesn't apply for players who are both midfielders. You said disposal efficiency is not a good indicator of kicking quality, but you have to admit despite its flaws its still a whole lot better than Judd2Sewell's opinion/useless personal eye test.

Regardless, my original opinion is that with Smith and Adams both being terrible to poor disposers of the footy, Adams being the superior ball/clearance winner/contested possession winner is clearly the better player. You all need to chill out especially pricey and martin :moustache:

Back