2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

we stopped the press to get that in the paper today, good article, good press.

Confirmed, his on board for next year. We're now actively recruiting players to the club and looking forward to pre-season. :thumbsu: :)

http://www.wodongasaints.com.au

not sure how Burgo will handle the rabble at the saints but at least he has some footy smarts, maybe 17th November is a little late to start recruiting

Good luck to the Saints, they have the coach to improve, they have the sponsors, hopefully the quality makes it's way through to the list. Yeah it is late to be starting recruiting, but I'm sure they are not starting now, they would have a few waiting to see who the coach was I reckon ;)

How long after the O&M draw is released does the TDFL draw usually come out?

I think most clubs would enjoy the extra weekends off like last season (3), compared to previous seasons, will it happen again?

as for the chiltern coach not being happy, recon he'd be quite the opposite, sounds as though they have recruited ok, better than the last few years. and they have some kids from last years thirds side that could step up so where do you draw the line.
[/quote]

Good point off the bench- where do you draw the line? why go out and recruit 15 blokes and the local kids not get a game? who else have they recruited? you seem to be in the know a bit down the highway!!![/quote]

Fair call. If you have the kids then why not recruit blokes who are going to develop these younger guys coming through.

Well done Sainter boys on getting Burgess. Hopefully have a starting point now to try and rebuild.

How long after the O&M draw is released does the TDFL draw usually come out?

I think most clubs would enjoy the extra weekends off like last season (3), compared to previous seasons, will it happen again?[/quote]

League AGM not until next week and then they would still have to sort draw out after that, so maybe Xmas. I agree, hopefully keep the split round bye and Easter and June Long Weekend.

When does cricket finish this year, isnt it later than usual? That might affect the number of byes.

hey guys ive just learned dave hansford joined mitta late last season from pambula, can anyone tell me how he went and where he'll be next season???

Hansford was playing some really good footy turned up about half way through the season but injured his knee a week or two before finals. Not sure of his movements next season but i'd assume Mitta will be trying it's best to keep him if he's in the area

Hansford was playing some really good footy turned up about half way through the season but injured his knee a week or two before finals. Not sure of his movements next season but i'd assume Mitta will be trying it's best to keep him if he's in the area

How about Big BUCKS Martin would he be staying at mitta seeing they got such great value out of him:thumbsdown:

I highly doubt it. His market value has dropped dramatically would be lucky to get anything

Signs at tigerland look good, 40+ players at training and some raiders boys there, not sure who has signed though. Ladsgrove, Dixon and Heta are names being thrown around, anyone know much about them?

Cook signed again on bigger $$$ after interest from Rand/Walbundrie :thumbsu:

Will be interesting to see who sticks around, after a good performance this year and some new recruits I would tip that they are a solid contender in 2012 ;)

Signs at tigerland look good, 40+ players at training and some raiders boys there, not sure who has signed though. Ladsgrove, Dixon and Heta are names being thrown around, anyone know much about them?

Cook signed again on bigger $$$ after interest from Rand/Walbundrie :thumbsu:

Will be interesting to see who sticks around, after a good performance this year and some new recruits I would tip that they are a solid contender in 2012 ;)

It'a always good to see teams talking themselves up in November.

It'a always good to see teams talking themselves up in November.

Fair to say its not someone from within the club given their lack of knowledge of anything thats really going on...!

Also a bit ordinary to say that Cook stayed for more money when he turned down massive offers from several clubs because he wanted to remain loyal to Barny. Proved he has a lot of character unlike many other blokes around the traps that put their own names out there to sell themselves to the highest bidder...!

Fair to say its not someone from within the club given their lack of knowledge of anything thats really going on...!

Also a bit ordinary to say that Cook stayed for more money when he turned down massive offers from several clubs because he wanted to remain loyal to Barny. Proved he has a lot of character unlike many other blokes around the traps that put their own names out there to sell themselves to the highest bidder...!

So did he stay on the same money at Barny to last year ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So did he stay on the same money at Barny to last year ?

AS IF.. heta will stay at raiders, james dickson would prob stay at raiders to and tom dickson is pretty bad with injurys and prob wont plat as for ladgrove works away alot, used to play at chiltern dont u guys remember him plays ok when he wants to but if anyone upsets him or anything thats him done for the day was only playing twos at raiders because with his work never trains and was only playing every so often so barny look good in november haha

Draw out on website. I notice that the Swans only have 8 home games, while Rutherglen are afforded 10. where is the equality??? Has everyone else got the standard 9 home, 9 away season?

Draw out on website. I notice that the Swans only have 8 home games, while Rutherglen are afforded 10. where is the equality??? Has everyone else got the standard 9 home, 9 away season?

The draw has been a debacle to say the least.... Was supposed to be out at the AGM and never happened.

Hume League draw been out for three weeks and the O&M before that.

Why is it taking so long?

The draw has been a debacle to say the least.... Was supposed to be out at the AGM and never happened.

Hume League draw been out for three weeks and the O&M before that.

Why is it taking so long?

Surely this isnt right, perhaps Rutherglen asked for an extra home game and someone thought that was ok. you would be a happy camper at Rutherglen. On the other hand you would be dissapointed if you were Chiltern, nearly have to go out in protest if this was the final draw. imagine the loss in revenue.

Where is Ken when you need him!

Obviously an error in the draw. You would think the easy answer is just to switch the Round 8 Ruth v Chilt match to Chiltern. Gives them 3 home games in a row, but that's not the end of the world. The first version of the draw had Beechworth playing twice in Round 6. Doing a draw is not easy, especially when you have to wait for O&M draw to accommodate Saints use of Martin Park, along with a sizeable wish list from clubs.

Just had my first look at the draw, despite being a Rutherglen person I would have to agree that it is unfair that we get 10 home games and Chiltern only 8. I have no knowledge of what (if anything) our club requested but I wouldn't imagine something as (financially) inequitable as that would be allowed to stay as it. I suspect that will have to change and we will see a new draw

Shame on you GB. Good luck to the Cats if it has 10 home games. What goes around comes around. The draw over the last cople of years has been dodgy and the cats have been on the other end of it. Sarau pipes up in 2010 what happens to the cats in 2011 - no round 1 game v Wahgunyah (as in previous seasons), only play the arch rival chiltern once, sent to Mt Beauty in round 2 and up to Eskdale in R3 to play Mitta - maybe just a coincedence (as if). KSC got a shock this season they had travel to Rutherglen and play them twice in a season -I cant be bothered looking through the records but I think since the cats joined the TDFL thay have only been their a couple of times and the last time was 2007/2008 - what do you make of that. Look at the top 5 this year I reckon they all played the bottom 4 sides twice - the sides that missed out didn't have that luxury (Albert Park your good on the stats check that one out). Its the luck of the draw unfortunately no formula or logic being applied by the TDFL or is it the hub?

Good luck to the formula or logic being applied by the TDFL or is it the hub?[/quote]

The Hub run evertything TDFL now. Ken Barnes and Ross Williams have nothing to do with it. How can u run a league when you are 100 + kms down the road. Just get it out and we dont have to woory about a thing. It's a joke ! At least the others knew something about the league. Just like they didnt invite the winner of the 2's league best and fairest last year to the night. Unreal !!

Look at the top 5 this year I reckon they all played the bottom 4 sides twice - the sides that missed out didn't have that luxury (Albert Park your good on the stats check that one out). Its the luck of the draw unfortunately no formula or logic being applied by the TDFL or is it the hub?

Because teams do not play every other team twice (12 teams and 18 rounds - so there are 4 teams you only play once) the draw in the TDFL has been a seeded draw for at least the last 5 years. i.e if you finish in the top few you will have a harder draw the following year. This is accepted by most clubs as a fair and equitable way to do the draw, and protects against a lopsided comp. It has delivered a reasonably even competition since its inception, with the exception of Saints.
Beechworth won the flag in 2010, so their draw in 2011 was tough, playing Wodonga 12th, Wahgunyah (11th), Dederang (10th) & Tallangatta (7th) only once. Obviously with Wahgunyah's marked improvement, playing them once became an advantage, not a disadvantage. Opposite effect with Yack's rapid decline from 2nd in 2010. Beechworth were drawn to play Yack twice but that turned out to be 2 easy wins.
Rutherglen finished 4th in 2010, so their draw was always going to be challenging, playing Yack (2nd), Chiltern (9th), Barny (8th) and Wodonga (12th) only once. Normally playing the 2nd side from the previous year only once would be a good thing, however Yack's decline saw it as a disadvantage to Rutherglen. This was somewhat balanced by being drawn to play Barny only once, but they turned out to be a handy side, so it worked out OK.
At the end of the day, the draw is the draw and you've got to beat every team to win it anyway, and if you get into the finals courtesy of a soft draw, you generally don't last long (e.g Wahgunyah). Also, where a team finishes in one year, sometimes does not have any relevance to where it will be in the following year (e.g Yack), so a draw that looks bad may not turn out that way.
My last point would be that the young bloke at the Hub has been thrown in the deep end, with the GM of the Hub resigning during its first year. It's probably his first draw and he's made a couple of blues but I'm sure they will be corrected (rest assured that no team will be getting any more or less home games than the others). From experience, making a draw work is one of the hardest things to do, especially when you've got outside influences like O&M draw and club wish lists to deal with, so chill out people, give the young fella a go, there is no great rush to get the draw out although we are all keen to see it.

Good luck to the formula or logic being applied by the TDFL or is it the hub?

The Hub run evertything TDFL now. Ken Barnes and Ross Williams have nothing to do with it. How can u run a league when you are 100 + kms down the road. Just get it out and we dont have to woory about a thing. It's a joke ! At least the others knew something about the league. Just like they didnt invite the winner of the 2's league best and fairest last year to the night. Unreal !![/quote]

Great call!!!!!!!!

They are in charge of three leagues and to put a draw out like this doesn't paint a good picture. Had the league even seen a copy before it was sent out?

With Christmas around the corner I would have thought clubs would be keen to have a rough idea of what is going on next year......

Your anger towards the Hub is somewhat misplaced. Ken Barnes has done the draw for the last 6+ years and was heavily involved in doing next years as well. There will be a new draft out to clubs today. It is a bit tricky and some clubs won't get what they want but...suck it up & get on with it.
I'll give you a rough idea of what's going on next year.....
Start March 31st, have a week off for Easter, Interleague game against Hume 26/5, long weekend in June off, finals start 25/8, Grand Final 15/9. Each club will get 9 home and 9 away games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back