2011 Western Jets

Remove this Banner Ad

Logical

Draftee
Apr 5, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Any thoughts on the Jets chances this year? I hear the overage boys are Mead, Kennedy, Hylton, Fairley & Bol. Agree with some. With Casley at GWS, maybe Garland, Morton, Sortino, Borg or Allen could have been considered.

Any thoughts on the Jets chances this year? I hear the overage boys are Mead, Kennedy, Hylton, Fairley & Bol. Agree with some. With Casley at GWS, maybe Garland, Morton, Sortino, Borg or Allen could have been considered.
Probably another lean year for them, the overagers they have picked indicate they are going down the "let's be competitive" path this year, and I have heard they rate some bottom agers, so expect to see them get a fair bit of game time with 2012 in mind.

I'm happy enough with most of the 19 year olds they have chosen. Nothing against Jordan Mead, but why? I thought the criteria was for late developers, or those who had limited exposure in the TAC Cup previously. Letting him run around again is strange - after all he won their B&F last year and had more than enough exposure. I'd have rathered see Josh Huxtable have another year there out of any of the top agers who have left.

Kavanagh probably won't play much with them this year, Hoskin-Elliott showed some potential but AIS and Vic Metro will also keep him away. Dylan Jones is in the first metro squad - tall, had promising games in 2010, and hopefully has improved. Jaxon Cooke was lively up forward in their finals game, if he's dropped a few kgs in the summer he'll be an even better player this year. A bit of bad luck Jack Dorgan doing a knee in an intra club a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't be expecting them to have a great year, but they should have two players taken in the National Draft which is a step in the right direction.

Heard they got rolled pretty bad by the Chargers in a practice game last Sunday.

Yeah i was there, they got absolutely smashed. Chargers are a very impressive outfit but still cannot see the jets being anywhere near it this year. Oakleigh will win the premiership I reckon if they can avoid injuries.

I'm looking forward to the Jets being better this year. Very impressed with new coaches, particularly West who was unhappy with the teams post Chargers games attitude, and let them know. Good to see someone trying to change this clubs culture.

I agree hoopsnake. West very good and I like Greenham as well. They seem to have a better mix of assistants this year. Concerned with Jets lack of height. If D. Jones goes all the way with Vic Metro, Jets have no talls. Thought maybe take one or two lads from last year who played a few games and know structures, who could give a chop out with ruck duties.
Charges look very, very good. Cannons strong again.
I'm looking forward to the Jets being better this year. Very impressed with new coaches, particularly West who was unhappy with the teams post Chargers games attitude, and let them know. Good to see someone trying to change this clubs culture.

ben stretton to dominate in ruck
harley walsh aswell
dyl jones will be there long enough
spencer white good tall up forward
mitch turnball dominate down back enough big men

Good performance by the boys yesterday. Really showed what a bit of pressure can do.

Let's hope the boys can bring that into round 1 next weekend.

Good luck

Disappointing start to the season. The boys didn't turn up to play this week. Exceptions to a few of the boys. All our goals came from either a free kick or from general play. Daniel Castellano was very lively up forward as was Charlie Nastasi. I think the best thing to do is to quickly forget about this game and move onto this week against the Ranges.
Let's hope the boys come to play and put in an effort. I guess to our defence, we did have 10 bottom age kids playing, which I believe was the most of any TAC cup side on the weekend.

Disappointing start to the season. The boys didn't turn up to play this week. Exceptions to a few of the boys. All our goals came from either a free kick or from general play. Daniel Castellano was very lively up forward as was Charlie Nastasi. I think the best thing to do is to quickly forget about this game and move onto this week against the Ranges.
Let's hope the boys come to play and put in an effort. I guess to our defence, we did have 10 bottom age kids playing, which I believe was the most of any TAC cup side on the weekend.
I find it baffling that "the boys didn't turn up to play this week" when it's the first game of the year and most, if not all, should have been chomping at the bit to play a competitive game of footy.

It looked to me like the Jets fielded a bunch of players who were unprepared for the speed, intensity and class required for TAC Cup footy. One sloppy kick, or one sloppy handball and you're under the pump. The good news for them is that Eastern weren't much better...big game next Sunday for both teams.

Jets were missing kavanagh, mead, smith, white, walsh from their best 18. With a full list to pick from the Jets should have a fair year. Too early to tell yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jets were missing kavanagh, mead, smith, white, walsh from their best 18. With a full list to pick from the Jets should have a fair year. Too early to tell yet.

After a disappointing effort last week, the Jets should bounce back against Eastern this week with Mead, Walshe and White into the side. This is the best team on paper the Jets have been able to put together since 2009. Turnball out for a while with a broken arm is a major setback.

Kavenagh and Smith still to return from injury. Should stay strong through the year with only Kavenagh, and Walshe of the best 22 having school footy.

If the boys can put it together this week and play like they did in the prac. match against Calder, then they should end the year in the top half at least. If they can make the finals and have everyone available, they have the potential to really cause some heartache for the others.

After a disappointing effort last week, the Jets should bounce back against Eastern this week with Mead, Walshe and White into the side. This is the best team on paper the Jets have been able to put together since 2009. Turnball out for a while with a broken arm is a major setback.

Kavenagh and Smith still to return from injury. Should stay strong through the year with only Kavenagh, and Walshe of the best 22 having school footy.

If the boys can put it together this week and play like they did in the prac. match against Calder, then they should end the year in the top half at least. If they can make the finals and have everyone available, they have the potential to really cause some heartache for the others.

walsh, kavanagh, white, hunter, blackney all play school footy

Nationals about to start with the Jets Adam Kennedy averaging 27 possessions a week. I hope he has a good one, he deserves it. Will Hoskin-Elliot should go alright after being away with the AIS. Jaxon Cooke is in the Vic Metro squad but looks to have tailed off after being added due to some good early form. Elliot Kavenaugh is listed as injured. Anyone have any news on him?
Matt Smith is in the Northern Territory side. He had a great pre-season derailed with a 4 week hamstring strain, but is averaging 21 possessions a game (second only to Kennedy) for the Jets so far. GWS have a free swipe at him being a zone concession from NT.
Jack Charlston is having a great season. Any way he can work his way into Vic Metro?

Congratulations to Adam Kennedy, Will Hoskin-Elliot and Elliot Kavenaugh who have made the final Vic Metro squad for the U18National Champioships. Also Matt Smith who will be playing for Northern Territory. Good luck boys.

Great to see the Jets put a couple of wins together, particularly against top side Gippsland last weekend.

It'll be a challenge for them to keep the same form up when the Nationals finish and other clubs return to full strength.

I caught the Jets giving the 'over using' Falcons a nice touch up today. Great to see the Jets have shrugged off their 'easy beat' stigma from past years.

Today they moved the ball well and the entire 22 took the game on and ran away from the plodding Falcons with ease. If the Jets had kicked straight it would have been a 15gl win which is fairly mind boggling when you recall many of the Falcons vs Jets games in years gone by.

The 3 musketeers in 20, 21 and 22 were back together and all had a very positive influence in the result.

Charleston won a bucket load of it and I thought he was BOG. Cooke kicked a lazy 5 including a running belter on his left, whilst leaving the defense in his wake.

I liked the run of Franzi and the steadiness of Fairley, Turnball and Walshe. Mead is always up for it as is Castellano.

Well done Jets. Please take a few scalps in the Finals to show it isn't a fluke.

As for the Falcons...............get a new Coach or get a new game plan. Sheahan (195cm) kicked 3 and Gordan (197cm) 4 and they got those goals when the Falcons went quick and direct, giving those two a 1 on 1 chance.

The majority of time they give the opposition all day to flood back and smoother their own Forward KPP's.

Perhaps there should be a rule in the TAC that kicking the ball backwards in D50 is play on. Maybe then the Falcons would go forward for a change. :confused::confused:

As for the Falcons...............get a new Coach or get a new game plan.
Would have to go close to the worst coach I've ever seen in the TAC Cup, what a rubbish game plan!!!

But back on topic, well done to the Jets. The in form team in the competition and it's great to see a Jets team who play as a team. They seem a very close knit group, and perhaps the team of 2011 might be the ones who change the culture and reputation of the Jets for many years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back