GFL 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win by West Saints today over North Shore.

North Shore were the better team for three quarters and held a 5 goal lead going into the final change.

Well done to the Roosters who had been pretty average all game but bounced back with a brilliant last quarter effort.

A decent and vocal crowd roared them home and reminded me of why local footy can be so great.

Paul Licuria played and showed a bit of class in the time that he was on the ground, though he didn't seem to spend a large amount of time on the ground. Might have picked up an injury.

Not normally one to bag the umpires but today they were woeful.

Not in the fact they were favouring one side, more the decisions and non decisions left people shaking their heads as to where they pulled certain calls from and how they missed others.

Went out to the Snakepit Yesterday to watch Lara take on Leopold. Lara had 3 players sent off during the game, 2 in the third Qrt and 1 in the last. Leopold failed to capitailize on the advantage. Lara is a shadow of it former self. Is disicipline a problem for Lara, Joyce got 2 weeks last week and with 3 blokes up this week, it turn into a long season.

Great win by West Saints today over North Shore.

North Shore were the better team for three quarters and held a 5 goal lead going into the final change.

Well done to the Roosters who had been pretty average all game but bounced back with a brilliant last quarter effort.

A decent and vocal crowd roared them home and reminded me of why local footy can be so great.

Paul Licuria played and showed a bit of class in the time that he was on the ground, though he didn't seem to spend a large amount of time on the ground. Might have picked up an injury.

Not normally one to bag the umpires but today they were woeful.

Not in the fact they were favouring one side, more the decisions and non decisions left people shaking their heads as to where they pulled certain calls from and how they missed others.

That last quarter is why I love going to local footy. The crowd were absolutely roaring and the Roosters simply swamped the Seagulls. Their backline was inpenetrable and led by the three Tassie boys; Meleisea, Buller & Page the home side were brilliant in the last. Doug Scott's last qtr in attack was also very good with two long-range goals. I will also say that the umpiring was terrible. Not about umpire-bashing, just some elementary errors. There was ayoung girl who was one of them and I'm not sure if it was her first game or not but she was absolutely terrible, just continually froze in the headlights; hope she improves.

That last quarter is why I love going to local footy. The crowd were absolutely roaring and the Roosters simply swamped the Seagulls. Their backline was inpenetrable and led by the three Tassie boys; Meleisea, Buller & Page the home side were brilliant in the last. Doug Scott's last qtr in attack was also very good with two long-range goals. I will also say that the umpiring was terrible. Not about umpire-bashing, just some elementary errors. There was ayoung girl who was one of them and I'm not sure if it was her first game or not but she was absolutely terrible, just continually froze in the headlights; hope she improves.

Doug had to put in a blinder after his third term, was very ordinary.

If he could play like he did in the last week in week out it would make us a much more dangerous team up forward.

I didn't want to mention the young lass when I mentioned the umpires were bad as she wasn'rt alone in making bad decisions.

I'd portion the blame more onto those coaching them and those appointing the umpires.

I think you're right though in regards to freezing up a bit and getting confused. A few times she indicated a free pne way but meant the other.

Maybe they think it's safer for her doing GFL games over GDFL ones.

I went to the Bell Park Joeys game, first half was excellent, tough, hard, really good one on one footy. Either joeys couldn't play at that level for four quarters or Bell Park were a lot smarter in how they used the ball, really slowed the game down through the middle and I think had 19 to 4 inside 50 in the third quarter. All in all i really enjoyed. One thing i have noticed is how important the clubs home grounds are when the 2 teams are fairy even.

I went to the Bell Park Joeys game, first half was excellent, tough, hard, really good one on one footy. Either joeys couldn't play at that level for four quarters or Bell Park were a lot smarter in how they used the ball, really slowed the game down through the middle and I think had 19 to 4 inside 50 in the third quarter. All in all i really enjoyed. One thing i have noticed is how important the clubs home grounds are when the 2 teams are fairy even.

I agree on the home grounds point because like I said, West were kicking to the northern end, right in front of the large home crowd and though they played some great footy themselves, the roar of the crowd would certainly given them an extra leg.

I actually listened to the broadcast on vision australia radio on Saturday as I was driving back from out of town. What a load of dribble it was! this old bloke kept shrieking out goals when there was none, yelling and screaming for nothing. Then the conversation turned to other things forgetting they were on the radio for a purpose. I could not keep track of the game the call was that bad. Cant imagine Football Geelong allows a program like that to go on air. Sometimes there was complete silence and then they woke up and started to call the game again.Wont be listening again that's for sure!!It was Bell Park at their best and look like serious contenders for the grand final.Joeys will be about third I reckon at the end of the day.

Now that both ends of the ladder are sorted for 2011 being minor premier and wooden spoon Sth barwon and St Albans(good decision by those pea brains in power, makes Davenport look like an absolute genius), what are peoples thoughts as to the 10 spots in between and what order will they finish.
Are LAra and grovedale gone, will St Joeys keep up their momentum, can Bell park knock off Sth, are colac and geelong West making up numbers with Nth Shore and can st mays resurect their season.
Will the final 5 remain as is?
Pretty good season just a pity that wooden has already been decided so early in the season as it almost now means a bye.
Devenport was flicked after 6 wins, their best year for 6 seasons so God help Cavanagh because I cant see any wins coming for the Saints this year.

Now that both ends of the ladder are sorted for 2011 being minor premier and wooden spoon Sth barwon and St Albans(good decision by those pea brains in power, makes Davenport look like an absolute genius), what are peoples thoughts as to the 10 spots in between and what order will they finish.
Are LAra and grovedale gone, will St Joeys keep up their momentum, can Bell park knock off Sth, are colac and geelong West making up numbers with Nth Shore and can st mays resurect their season.
Will the final 5 remain as is?
Pretty good season just a pity that wooden has already been decided so early in the season as it almost now means a bye.
Devenport was flicked after 6 wins, their best year for 6 seasons so God help Cavanagh because I cant see any wins coming for the Saints this year.

They'll probably draw a line in the sand again and start afresh next year.

Good topic, I think GWSP can make the 5, at least they have some tall forwards and have a real dip. I went to the Sth Barwon vs Bell Park game and came away thinking that Sth Barwons best is better than Bell Park, again bigger forwards, someone told me that they had 5-6 players in the VFL as well, I think Bell Park only has 1. I am enjoying the battle for 4th to 11th, only 1 game and percentage. I agree with you on Devenport, although they are very competitive for a bottom team, i feel they were better last year.

On Lara and Leopold, what has happened, i watched both late last year and thought that they had a real future. Did they both lose a lot of players. I know Leopold lost their coach but they played really good footy in the finals.

Good topic, I think GWSP can make the 5, at least they have some tall forwards and have a real dip. I went to the Sth Barwon vs Bell Park game and came away thinking that Sth Barwons best is better than Bell Park, again bigger forwards, someone told me that they had 5-6 players in the VFL as well, I think Bell Park only has 1. I am enjoying the battle for 4th to 11th, only 1 game and percentage. I agree with you on Devenport, although they are very competitive for a bottom team, i feel they were better last year.

Despite my affiliation, I speak unbiasedly when I say that I agree with your assessment of GWSP. They have gotten themselves in a position where they can now launch an assault to play finals. They had a very poor season last year and despite only picking up the same numbers to cover the good players they lost, what they have recruited this season has been class. Nick Buller and Sam Page have both been very good contributors along with James Hussey and Kevin Bourke and young Jayden Fanning from St Joeys. The consistency of Leye Meleisea; who should certainly be considered one of the top shelf players in the comp along with the very good improvement of key position player Sam Boyd, on-baller Tyson Stott and youngsters Corey Walter, Scotty Frangos and Tim Wight has also been important. However, for me, perhaps the biggest positive has been the return of Darren Forssman to the fold as co-coach. His influence has been telling and it has also helped in Doug Scott focusing more on his playing. I think that the group has come a long way but certainly a long way to go. They went with a goal of both South Barwon and St Joeys but they really need to keep beating the sides around them if they are to make it. The main point is; is that there is a great feel off the ground for the club and the players are certainly playing for each other and the jumper which is very noticeable.

On Lara and Leopold, what has happened, i watched both late last year and thought that they had a real future. Did they both lose a lot of players. I know Leopold lost their coach but they played really good footy in the finals.

Leopold have lost 7 players out of their top 10 B&F last year so that obviously hurts. 3 of these have gone on to play a higher level Bolton (Collingwood) Hughes, Walker(North Ballarat) so cannot begrudge that.There is still some good kids running around and the new recruits have held their own. There is not a great deal of depth which is obviously important.
Great to see the GFL becoming more competitive with some of the lower sides over recent years starting to improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Guys,

How does Ben Kennedy go in this league? which team is he playing for?
He was on Geelongs VFL list a few years ago and prior to that played for Torquey. He is originally from up my way.

What does everyone think about Grovedale's season? Proved a few people wrong so far? What's the story behind the reasonable form Tim? obviously the coach is doing the right things.

What does everyone think about Grovedale's season? Proved a few people wrong so far? What's the story behind the reasonable form Tim? obviously the coach is doing the right things.

Appointing Tanner as coach is the best decision the club made in years imo. Its great seeing 22 blokes running around each week that play for each other, the coach and the club.

Very positive times up at Grovey, a great coach, a group of blokes that love playing at the club and building starting on our clubroom extensions in the coming weeks. With all this id hope Grovedale would be an attractive option for any potential recruits for next year. I think we're probably a few key position players away from being a very competitive and dangerous side

Ben Kennedy plays for Bell Park, came as a forward but tends to play down back as well. Good footballer and a nice bloke.

Grovedale has been great, I do not know them that well but reading all the doom and gloom on these boards before the year started you have to think that tim finnigan is correct, you do not get that sort of improvement unless you have a really united bunch of blokes.

GWSP were really disappointing on the weekend, i suppose you get that sort of performance with a young side. The competition is so even from 4 to 11 that you only need to be off by 5% and you get belted. N&C have been fantastic this year as well, I think they are a real smokey this year, their pace really worries teams.

GWSP were really disappointing on the weekend, i suppose you get that sort of performance with a young side. The competition is so even from 4 to 11 that you only need to be off by 5% and you get belted. N&C have been fantastic this year as well, I think they are a real smokey this year, their pace really worries teams.

On N&C. How as Aaron Baxter been going. Saw he got in the best on the weekend. Played a season at Barwon Heads before crossing a few years back. very handy footballer.

My thoughts exactly. Leopold showed such promise at the start of last season and then this year they are nowhere. It doesnt help with the coach leaving for bigger and better things.Same with Lara -good last year but not this year.
The competition is so even from 4 to 11 that you only need to be off by 5% and you get belted.
It sure seems that way. Two teams are so consistent the others can only try.

That's true about Sth Barwon and Bell Park and Joeys as well, but I think when you look at those teams play you can see that they have clearly better lists. Most teams have 6 or so really good players but they do not have the depth that the top teams have. Its the same in the AFL, look at the Pies and Cats, they bring in kids and they do not look out of place. Takes time to build a good culture.

Female umpires, get rid of.
Just terrible. The one we had against N&C yesterday was the second time we had her this season. I'm not an umpire-basher but she just guesses. When she is blind-sided in particular, she just guesses free kicks rather than letting the play go on. West did pretty well yesterday. Signs were there early that they were going to get blown away but the game was pretty well in doubt until deep into the last term. Not sure who was BOG but Leye Meleisea once again outstanding. Defenders Sam Page and Jayden Fanning also would have been in the better players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back