GFL 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts exactly. Leopold showed such promise at the start of last season and then this year they are nowhere. It doesnt help with the coach leaving for bigger and better things.Same with Lara -good last year but not this year.
The competition is so even from 4 to 11 that you only need to be off by 5% and you get belted.
It sure seems that way. Two teams are so consistent the others can only try.
I hear Lara have reappointed coach for 2012 so they must be happy with the direction the club is taking

Just terrible. The one we had against N&C yesterday was the second time we had her this season. I'm not an umpire-basher but she just guesses. When she is blind-sided in particular, she just guesses free kicks rather than letting the play go on. West did pretty well yesterday. Signs were there early that they were going to get blown away but the game was pretty well in doubt until deep into the last term. Not sure who was BOG but Leye Meleisea once again outstanding. Defenders Sam Page and Jayden Fanning also would have been in the better players.

The way I see it mate, (this includes male umpires too) there's too many umpires who are taught "the rules" but they have absolutely no idea about the game itself.

She pulled a few free kicks from incidents that as you say "she guessed" as well as things which happen in game that don't warrant frees but are part and parcel of the contest.

Most obvious example of that was the free she paid before the ball had been bounced. That kind of thing happens 100 times in a game and yet she deems it a free kick worth incident, total joke.

The biggest win for West was Nath Suanders making it off the gorund not reported. He was treading a fine line there in one passage of play.

Agreed though that West put in a decent effort though.

Can't say i've said this too often, but they probably missed not having Dougie playing. An extra tall up forward would have been very handy.

Went and watched Bell Park and Leopold yesterday, it was a pretty good game, Bell Park did not play a ruckman as he was suspended, both sides had 2 injuries so had 2 less on the bench. Leopold surprised me, I though if they could play with the same intensity all year they would win more than than they lose. Does anyone know if Colac had some players return yesterday, that result was amazing.

The way I see it mate, (this includes male umpires too) there's too many umpires who are taught "the rules" but they have absolutely no idea about the game itself.

She pulled a few free kicks from incidents that as you say "she guessed" as well as things which happen in game that don't warrant frees but are part and parcel of the contest.

Most obvious example of that was the free she paid before the ball had been bounced. That kind of thing happens 100 times in a game and yet she deems it a free kick worth incident, total joke.

The biggest win for West was Nath Suanders making it off the gorund not reported. He was treading a fine line there in one passage of play.

Agreed though that West put in a decent effort though.

Can't say i've said this too often, but they probably missed not having Dougie playing. An extra tall up forward would have been very handy.

Mate. At least she is out there doing the job. Can't see how she had any affect on the result. You sound like a whingeing sook. Why not just blame the umpires every week.

Mate. At least she is out there doing the job. Can't see how she had any affect on the result. You sound like a whingeing sook. Why not just blame the umpires every week.

Umm, we're not blaming the umpires for the result. Pretty much just saying that she needs to improve rapidly to be up to standard and stop guessing. Realise that GFL Football will get GFL Umpires and not AFL ones but someone should still need to be up to standard to be umpiring senior GFL Football and I'm sorry but at the moment, she is not. Hope she can improve. The football world always needs more umpires. And certainly, she should not be treated any differently because she is female. All commments would naturally still stand if she was a male.

Umm, we're not blaming the umpires for the result. Pretty much just saying that she needs to improve rapidly to be up to standard and stop guessing. Realise that GFL Football will get GFL Umpires and not AFL ones but someone should still need to be up to standard to be umpiring senior GFL Football and I'm sorry but at the moment, she is not. Hope she can improve. The football world always needs more umpires. And certainly, she should not be treated any differently because she is female. All commments would naturally still stand if she was a male.
I was actually at the game and 2 out of the 3 umpires werent up to the standard, i dont support either team, i just live close by and thort it would be a good game, to say the umpires ruined it would be incorrect its just everytime a good set play was taking place an umpires decision would ruin things.

As for that female umpire i dont think she gave west 1 single free kick in there front half, but was more then happy to give them to newtown all over the ground.

I even heard number 12 from west tell her that she was consistently bad, to the west supporters, Have u had her before or was that just a smarta$$ comment?

I didn't say she affected the result did I idiot?

I said she umpired like she had no idea about the game.

As long as they are getting paid then they should be open to criticism.

Which if you werent a johnny come lately to the thread you would know i've pointed blame at those coaching them as much as the umpires themselves in the past.

I am always on the other side when it comes to umpires. I think they do a great job, they do miss a few free kicks because they run up and down the center corridor and get blind sided when the ball is on near the boundary. If you go and watch an AFL game and then a GFL game you will be happy with the standard we have.
The way people are commenting about the standard of umpiring, I would guess that they just might not be up to the GFL football standard as I previously posted. baw066 and loose change, you seem to be silent now when the numbers are rising with this discussion about umpires. This is a football discussion forum and umpires and umpiring standards are part of football, I have not read umpire bagging or bashing but informed comments from people who go to games.

Have heard that a president has chucked it in a couple weeks after a coach was given the boot. Is the joint in turmoil or what. Obviously their position on the ladder reflects the current position. Comments

I was actually at the game and 2 out of the 3 umpires werent up to the standard, i dont support either team, i just live close by and thort it would be a good game, to say the umpires ruined it would be incorrect its just everytime a good set play was taking place an umpires decision would ruin things.

As for that female umpire i dont think she gave west 1 single free kick in there front half, but was more then happy to give them to newtown all over the ground.

I even heard number 12 from west tell her that she was consistently bad, to the west supporters, Have u had her before or was that just a smarta$$ comment?

We had her against North Shore and she was worse then so may have improved. However, still not up to it. I'm sure there is some Reserves or U/18s games that she coud get her miles up in if lacking in confidence or needs to improve. Same goes for the blokes that aren't up to it. We have had quite a few female umpires and some are very good. There is a short one with spiked blonde here that goes quite well. Bottom line is, it is GFL football, so we are not expecting AFL umpires but we do expect GFL ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way people are commenting about the standard of umpiring, I would guess that they just might not be up to the GFL football standard as I previously posted. baw066 and loose change, you seem to be silent now when the numbers are rising with this discussion about umpires. This is a football discussion forum and umpires and umpiring standards are part of football, I have not read umpire bagging or bashing but informed comments from people who go to games.

Your a flog.

If your not happy with the standard of umpiring why dont you sign up? You speak as if you could do a better job. They are always in need, and could use your expertise.

Your a flog.

If your not happy with the standard of umpiring why dont you sign up? You speak as if you could do a better job. They are always in need, and could use your expertise.

That's not the point dunderhead.

If you sign up to be an umpire you do so because it's something that interests you.

To say people who crticise umpires should sign up and do it is ****ing stupid.

Not being interested in umpiring doesn't mean you can't pass comment nor be qualified to have an opinion on the issue.

Have heard that a president has chucked it in a couple weeks after a coach was given the boot. Is the joint in turmoil or what. Obviously their position on the ladder reflects the current position. Comments
Big Jablowski- anyone doubting what im saying click on his previous posts for validation. Can you contribute anything to this forum other than trying to start rumours and inuendo about the supersaints?
For those who don't know this person has no interest in the GFL, he infact has had the sack from a number of football clubs in varying coaching capacities. And his comments about the supersaints are nothing but some kind of personal vendetta.
This forum is great to talk about footy so lets do that, stop stirring the pot.
Well done to the saints on the weekend have been really competitive all year and deserved the win although i did not see the game as a supporter i thought lara were a good thing with the likes of Jaxon Barham. Watched Leopold v Sth on weekend are Leopold that far away? or just a bad day? mind you i dont think many teams would want to play sth after a loss, they were dominant

It's a bit hard to get a good read on StMarys even at this stage of the season. When Hebbard comes back into the side they should have the firepower to down the bigger sides. Considering they have so many young players playing they will always be a chance on their day in finals, the senior group just needs time to develop. After all they only have 3-4 players over 26.
And If you look at the junior system,
The 18's are top of the ladder
16's are 3rd in Div 1 and have 3 sides
14's are 1st in Div 1 and 2nd in Div 2
in the next 10 years if they stick around the senior list will have trouble picking a side.
How does the club look from the outsiders point of view?

It's a bit hard to get a good read on StMarys even at this stage of the season. When Hebbard comes back into the side they should have the firepower to down the bigger sides. Considering they have so many young players playing they will always be a chance on their day in finals, the senior group just needs time to develop. After all they only have 3-4 players over 26.
And If you look at the junior system,
The 18's are top of the ladder
16's are 3rd in Div 1 and have 3 sides
14's are 1st in Div 1 and 2nd in Div 2
in the next 10 years if they stick around the senior list will have trouble picking a side.
How does the club look from the outsiders point of view?

Very good with the quality of juniors and the junior system that they have in place. With the money they have to throw at good players also i think they will be a force for quite some time, in saying that they tend to "buy" too many players...i think they need to keep investing time and games into young players so they all stick around

With 6 games to go I will have a rough stab at a team of the year to date. Let me know your thoughts, who should be in.out etc. Obviously most of them im going on best players for their clubs and maybe filling in a couple of spots with better known players.

Remember its a rough side, just doing it for some discussions and thoughts on some players years..

B A. Biemans (SB) J. Larcombe (Lpold) D. Lovick (STJ)

HB L. Meleisea (GWSP) D. Talbot (BP) D. Clarke (STM)

C H. Foss (STJ) J. Byrne (NS) J. Hollmer (LARA)

HF L. Forbes (STJ) J. Bett (N&C) T. Sheringham (BP)

F B. Harris (LARA) C. Wells (SB) R. Robertson (STJ)

R P. Street (STJ) K. Smith (LARA) B. Lavars (STM)

Int J. McGuane (COLAC) D. Jull (STM) J. Graham (BP) A. Banjanin (STA)

Interesting news out of leopold...Peter Hardy has left the club and is looking for a new home next year..Sth Barwon most likely

Totally wrong. After talking to people in the know, Peter Hardy is currently injured and will play again before the end of the Season. Why would he leave a club where his brother plays. I also hear from the club that the Geelong Addy's actions have been bordering on harasment about this issue. How many times do they have to be told. Maybe they could write a good news story for a change as the last 2 spots in the 5 are still up for grabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back