2012 afl draft which club came out the best ?

Remove this Banner Ad

He hasn't not impressed, just he hasn't shown any initial star power.

Plenty of time.

Needs time. Thought at draft time was probably close to best in draft and Melbourne made right choice. After Wines' initial burst he appears to have gone missing(not to be unexpected/tired) with at the moment Richmond appear to have nailed a beauty at pick nine. I will leave my thoughts on others until they make more than an occasional cameo.

Needs time. Thought at draft time was probably close to best in draft and Melbourne made right choice. After Wines' initial burst he appears to have gone missing(not to be unexpected/tired) with at the moment Richmond appear to have nailed a beauty at pick nine. I will leave my thoughts on others until they make more than an occasional cameo.

Wines isn't having the same impact as he was in the first few weeks of the season, but definitely hasn't "gone missing" under any definition. Been getting around the 20 disposal mark each game, with plenty of them constested and always a handful of tackles to go with it.

I have to say the Eagles picksup so far have been very disappointing. Our 3 trades Wellingham, Cripps and Morton have had almost no impact. Brandt Colledge is still playing WAFL reserves and will need time to develop. Carter looks pretty average. Hutchings looks like he could contribute if called upon but lacks a touch of class. Callum Sinclair showed a bit before he was dropped but is unlikely to resurface this year.

Swans pick ups haven't shown much Membrey has shown a bit in the ressies Towers has been disappointing. Our rookies have been our shining lights Rampe and B Jack and X Richards could be a decent defender

Swans pick ups haven't shown much Membrey has shown a bit in the ressies Towers has been disappointing. Our rookies have been our shining lights Rampe and B Jack and X Richards could be a decent defender

Membrey with senior footy under his belt will be a quality 3rd forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far Tigers draft looking good:

Pick 9 Vlaustin - Looks a beauty

Pick 26 McIntosh - Has been ok in patches at VFL level.

Pick 31 McBean - Has played beyond expectations kicking bags of 2-4 most VFL games. For a 202cm beanpole playing FF he is looking the goods.

Pick 40 ish McDonough - Was best on in the VFL a couple of weeks ago and has regularly been in the best players.

Sounds like the sort of thing you guys need. Have liked what I have seen of him so far.

He's the opposite of most of our usual draftees because he doesn't show signs of brilliance but struggle to compete. He's what Tapscott was meant to be, IMO

Won't get a true gauge for a while yet. Some of these kids are being gifted games at some teams while others will have to wait quite a while.
Case in point mentioned on another thread went along to Coburg Sandy early in the year which Coburg won easily. Looking at both teams first year players, a midfield including Vlastuin(now starring at AFL) and Williams(rookie) smashed Sandys. McIntosh had the better of Lee, McDonough all over the place and Mcbean kicking four or five from memory. Only player at Sandy I was impressed with was White, Wright OK but the rest meh. But here we are, all those draftees at Sandy have played with St.Kilda(except White), where as Vlastuin at the moment looks like the only draftee who will play at Richmond this year.......
One game? Are you serious? That's a pretty big sample size right there!

The others (apart from Wright) that you mentioned that we got in the draft who have played for St Kilda this year (Murdoch and Saunders) were not picked on the back of that game, believe it or not, but on the back of repeatedly good performances throughout the VFL season generally, plus a really impressive performance by Murdoch for us in the NAB Cup, where he looked like he could have been in his 5th year at the club. Looked completely at home in our team that day.

Just because they had a poor or average game that day you saw them (which was R1 of the VFL season) does not necessarily mean that they have been "gifted games" this year, because they have both been consistently in Sandringham's best since that game, with consistent mid 20's to 30 possie games, sometimes with a couple of goals thrown in for good measure. Murdoch was given best again for Sandy last weekend in the paper. They well and truly earned a senior game when it came to the time we had a spot for them and they've both showed some really good signs in their limited game for us when they were played in the seniors.

And while he might not have set the world on fire in that whole one game you saw him play at VFL level, Wright had also been super impressive for us in the NAB Cup and had a terrific game for us when he was promoted to the seniors, having 22 possies and providing lots of run and being considered stiff to not get the Rising Star nom. He has basically cemented his spot in our team since then (only missing due to injury) and was doing so well in his lock down jobs down back (while also providing some terrific run and carry) that it enabled us to take Geary away from there to do some excellent tagging jobs in the midfield.

As for Tom Lee, he has been going through a fair few injury issues this year (had a wrist injury during the NAB Cup and has missed through injury since the season started as well) and the day you saw him he had played the equivalent of just one game of footy since R1 of the NAB Cup, 7 weeks earlier and hadn't played at all in the previous 3 weeks. You could certainly argue that he was "gifted" a game when he debuted for us the next week, as he was severely lacking in match fitness and understandably didn't look to be in particularly good form (certainly nothing like he was in last year), but we obviously wanted to give him a taste against GWS, which I think is fair enough.

There's no doubt that it's easier to get a game in a poor team if you're younger, I don't think anyone would doubt that, but that example taken from just one game is a poor one, IMO.

Whats your opinion on Tapscott?

My first impression was great, but that seems to have waned. What does he need to do to 'get there'?

I honestly don't know what he brings to the table. He's probably best as a lead up HFFer but he has no engine, and his kicking isn't great. He has good hands and a big body - he probably needs to be in the centre square belting people out the way tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back