Injury 2012 Carlton Injury List Update #2 - Keep it all in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Is our pre season in Qatar to blame for all these injuries or is it just plain bad luck??

I dare say it's luck. Carrots and Smurph were both structural, as was Robbos, Hammers and Laidlers.

Just really, really unlucky year for the club :( Seriously will be fuming if we get the same run of injuries next year!

Is our pre season in Qatar to blame for all these injuries or is it just plain bad luck??
id say if we go back next year the club would view it as a success, if they dont then fair to say they may not feel its a good allocation of resources. Surely we could spend those thousands of dollars on something better

Not sure how this will go, but heres the games played this season. (red = injury, N = reserves/injured in reserves)

carltoninjuriesrd17.png

id say if we go back next year the club would view it as a success, if they dont then fair to say they may not feel its a good allocation of resources. Surely we could spend those thousands of dollars on something better
Bradley Wiggins trained at altitude in Tenerife to prepare for the Tour De France.

Volcano gives Bradley Wiggins the fire for assault on Tour de France
Wiggins had struggled in the 2010 Tour whenever the race hit high altitude. With the 2011 race including some of Europe's highest passes, with more kilometres than usual at over 2,500m above sea level, Kerrison decided to begin by focusing on that area of weakness. In January 2011 he visited Tenerife to assess the roads for training. An experimental two-week training camp was followed by the biggest victory of Wiggins's road racing career, the Dauphiné Libéré stage race.

Tenerife, Kerrison explains, provides everything lacking for a Tour contender in Wiggins's home in Lancashire: heat, altitude, 20-mile mountain climbs, and peace and quiet. There is a benefit for athletes merely from being at altitude, which enhances the body's ability to utilise oxygen, but there are other pluses here. "Unlike some high-altitude venues, it's possible to train at sea level, which is less damaging at high intensity; unlike Alpine locations the weather is relatively stable in April and May."
Volcano gives Bradley Wiggins the fire for assault on Tour de France

Now could you do it for all the other clubs so that we can compare ;)
Multiply the number of games missed by the player's importance to the team (which you could state as some funtion of salary cap percentage, best and fairest rank etc), then compare the total with other teams this season and historically.

Don't forget to show your working out.

Multiply the number of games missed by the player's importance to the team (which you could state as some funtion of salary cap percentage, best and fairest rank etc), then compare the total with other teams this season and historically.

Don't forget to show your working out.
do I use a quadriatic?

WOW,

We have had 33 players out of our squad of 36, that have missed a game or more due to injury or suspension.

ONLY 3 players in our squad have managed to play every game so far! I would love to compare this with other teams, I am pretty certain those other teams are no where near us in the injury category.

ALOT of our very best players have missed or will miss between 3-8 weeks, not too mention those that are out for the season.

Our very best replacement players have also missed more than half the season as well.

I dont think I have ever seen an injury list like this in my life, and I am 35 years old.

Not only have we been unable to play our best 22 for ANY week of the season, but we have also had our replacement players injured at the same time ITS JUST UNBELIEVABLE !!!

All those calling for Ratten to be sacked at the end of the year, SURELY have to take the above facts into consideration when assessing his performance.

I have multiplied the players available (which is our squad of 36) x the number of max. number of games available if all players were fit and playing (in both afl and reserves) = 425 games (that covers all players playing at the same time)

Using the above formula I have also calculated how many games out of the above total were missed from the games available (either due to injury or suspension) = 228 games missed by all injured players.

Then you can add to that all the games that will be missed in the last 6 rounds due to injury/suspension, and that takes the total even higher.

Unbelievable HUH?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WOW,

We have had 33 players out of our squad of 36, that have missed a game or more due to injury or suspension.

ONLY 3 players in our squad have managed to play every game so far! I would love to compare this with other teams, I am pretty certain those other teams are no where near us in the injury category.

ALOT of our very best players have missed or will miss between 3-8 weeks, not too mention those that are out for the season.

Our very best replacement players have also missed more than half the season as well.

I dont think I have ever seen an injury list like this in my life, and I am 35 years old.

Not only have we been unable to play our best 22 for ANY week of the season, but we have also had our replacement players injured at the same time ITS JUST UNBELIEVABLE !!!

All those calling for Ratten to be sacked at the end of the year, SURELY have to take the above facts into consideration when assessing his performance.

No ratten is a moron and should have planned for injuries cause hes jesus and knows everything

WOW,

And for a lot of the season, 2 of the 3 that have played every game have been in sub-par form.

thanks for the list The_Wookie . .. I think Casbah was injured up until the Bye. .. TBird missed a game or three in there too didn't he? (Port game?) .. Did Warnock really play four NBlues games at the start of the season? and Bell was injured as well. .. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. .. Perhaps HARKER , zeeCFC or some others might know the actual games. ..

Squid most likely v Suns. They're not convinced he has the bulk yet. Don't think we will be seeing Bower again!

Looking at the youtube clip from the last VFL game he looks to have more bulk to him than most of our tall players bar Jamison, Watson and Casboult. Looks a man mountain already. I'm not sure that the whole hold him back thing is the right attitude, like for some reason they think that something will go wron like the world imploding if we play him. We did play bootsma :p

I still think the Weagles have had a worse time of it with injury. They were missing 7 of their top 10 goalkickers from last season when they played North a few weeks back. If that was us, we'd be missing Betts, Garlett, Waite, Walker, and a few others all from the one team.

It's incredible that they have Darling, Lynch, Hams, Hill, and others to cover the holes.

Looking at the youtube clip from the last VFL game he looks to have more bulk to him than most of our tall players bar Jamison, Watson and Casboult. Looks a man mountain already. I'm not sure that the whole hold him back thing is the right attitude, like for some reason they think that something will go wron like the world imploding if we play him. We did play bootsma :p

Agreed. If the MC were happy to play Bootsma I can't see Mitchell's perceived lack of bulk as an overiding issue for this game at least. It's not like the Tigers have some massive gorilla playing at fullback.

I still think the Weagles have had a worse time of it with injury. They were missing 7 of their top 10 goalkickers from last season when they played North a few weeks back. If that was us, we'd be missing Betts, Garlett, Waite, Walker, and a few others all from the one team.

It's incredible that they have Darling, Lynch, Hams, Hill, and others to cover the holes.

They have only needed to find cover in the one area where we have lost key players from all over the ground which hurts a lot more.

Is there an argument to still play Bower to try and inflate his trade value or do clubs just see through this ?
Problem is that he may further deflate his trade value if there is any. Who would want him unless we have not given him the development coaching required. Depends if other clubs rate our development team which is an interesting question

Injury Update – July 24, 2012

Shaun Hampson
Knee
Season

Lachie Henderson
Groin
Season

Jeremy Laidler
Knee
Season

Matthew Kreuzer
Hip