Review 2012 Carlton Player Review Annual

Remove this Banner Ad

Blake Bray # 48

2012: No games played for senior team. Delisted at end of 2012.

Blake Bray was selected as a NSW Scholarship Rookie in the 2010 draft. In 2011 he suffered a shoulder injury, which limited him to 10 games: one for the Northern Bullants and nine for the bullants reserves team.

In 2012 Blake played eleven games for the Northern Blues reserves team before being promoted to the Northern Blues for the last three games of the season.

I saw Bray play one game for the Northern Blues against Frankston at Princess Park. Blake looked a lively type with good height, playing in the forward line all day. He had good pace on the lead, reasonably strong hands and hit the pack quite hard. He was also creative at ground level for a player at 191cm.

At that match, I was standing on the terrace outside the CFC gym, so that I could evesdrop on a few Carlton officials who were also watching the game. After a passage of play where Bray showed good pace and agility on the forward flank, one official asked another:

"Who's that?"
"Blake Bray."
"He seems to be coming on pretty well now."

Maybe this is a case in point for Bray and the AFL system in general. Blake was a good promising young footballer. He seemed to hold his own in the VFL competition at the end of 2012. But, it had taken him nearly two years to advance beyond the 'reserves reserves'. Perhaps, given enough time, Blake could have become a very good player. But, the signs were that he would never be more than a depth player at AFL level. So at the end of the 2012 season, Carlton - whose list needed to be trimmed for the upcoming draft - delisted Blake Bray.

Such is life for many - or most - aspiring AFL players. I hope Blake enjoyed his time at CFC and wish him well for his future.

#29 – Heath Scotland
The Context. Heath Scotland had a stand out year in 2011. He came fourth in the John Nicholls Medal count and after making the All Australian squad of 40 many were surprised he missed the final squad of 22. His consistency, possession average, decision making and elite disposal efficiency were the hallmarks of his 2011 performance. At the end of 2011 season Heath had played 53 games for old enemy Collingwood and 170 games in eight seasons with the Blues. At age 31 quite a few commentators wondered if Heath could maintain this level of performance. Many of us felt the load would be spread more evenly across the six defenders and that team development as a whole would drive us deep into finals contention. But a funny thing happened on the way to the future, 2012 defied those predictions and almost the opposite transpired. The defensive six was hit hard by injury, the team as a whole went backwards, and Heath Scotland continued to defy time, off field troubles and the pundits alike by having yet another outstanding football year.

Performance. Season 2012 began according to plan with Carlton administering the now annual reality check to the Richmond Tigers and then impressing the entire football community with a R3 demolition of Collingwood. But from there the season went off the rails. Many of Heath’s younger team mates were struck down with serious injuries including Carrazzo, Duigan, Henderson, Laidler, Jamison, Murphy, Waite, Walker, Warnock or suspension (Judd). As the losses mounted up, the club and Senior Coach came under massive pressure. In addition to Carlton’s football worries, Scotland played through the season with a court case hanging over him after being charged with assault following a preseason incident involving Heath. Instead of wilting under these pressures, Scotland continued to produce his 2011 elite performance. In win, loss or bad loss, across half back and in the midfield, Scotland used his football smarts to find the correct position, accumulate a huge number of possessions, and use the ball well to set up a forward play.

Key Statistics for 2012
* Games: 21 in 2012, 244 in career
* Disposals: Total 553 (at 26.3 team highest), kicks 283 (at 13.5), handballs 270 (at 12.9)
* Contested possessions: 179 at 8.5 (3rd highest)
* Marks: 116 at 5.5; Tackles: 72 at 3.4
* Inside 50s: 71 at 3.4 (4th highest); Rebound 50s: 61 at 2.9 (team highest)
* Supercoach: 100.1; Dreamteam 2011 (2nd to Bryce Gibbs 2021)
* Disposal efficiency: 77.6%
Sources: www.finalsiren.com.au; www.carltonfc.com.au; www.footywire.com

Scotto had a team high number of disposals and average number of disposals and the third highest number of contested possessions – once again showing he is not simply an outside player. He repeatedly repulsed opposition attacks with the team high rebound 50s and he was the fourth highest in delivering the ball inside 50.

It was no surprise that Heath took out the John Nicholls Medal in 2012. The locker room jokes about “Fossil”, “Gramps” and the like spread to the post-season visit to the two billion year old Grand Canyon where Luke Mitchell filmed Scotto and quipped that Heath must feel “good to finally met someone [sic] as old as you” (Carltonfc YouTube). But Heath routinely defies the ages and pressures of time. Just as a diamond is formed from the massive weight of a mountain pressing on carbon, Heath Scotland continues to demonstrate his own brand of brilliance as he shines in the face of adversity.

Game Day Performance. Once again, consistency was Scotto’s trademark in 2012 - he gathered less than 20 possessions only twice and played 21 games. The R3 Collingwood game was outstanding (35D 8MK 10CP 4TK 6I50s). As has been said of Scotland before, it is not the flashy, highlight real stuff where Scotland excels, it is the gut running, football nous of field position, decision making, consistency and efficiency in which he excels.

Well it’s a good thing that Scotto and Carlton selectors do not listen to me. In my 2011 review, I noted Scotland’s two lowest possession games were both in Perth so I wondered if Heath should be rested for these games. But in 2012 he crossed the Nullarbor twice and gathered 26 disposals against West Coast and 30 against Fremantle. Outstanding.

One feature of Scotland’s football that became absolutely clear was seen at the final siren in the R22 loss to Gold Coast. The camera moved in to capture his emotion and anguish at this loss. After striving all season and across his nine seasons with Carlton our aspirations for finals in 2012 were snuffed out and Heath looked gutted.

What now for 2013? One question for 2013 is what the relationship will be between Scotland and Mick Malthouse given Heath’s departure from Collingwood when Mick was coach. I have no inside information on this issue but the two situations seem entirely different to me. My understanding is that Heath was competing for selection with a number of similar players, and also his work ethic and football has developed immeasurably since he left them in 2003. We have every reason to see Mick and Heath as professionals focusing on the now not the past. Moreover, we know how highly Mick prizes defence so if Scotland maintains his recent form I am confident he will be a pivotal member of Mick’s best 22.

Carlton and Scotland have agreed on a one year contract for 2013. Can he keep going at this elite level of performance? Will Carlton put 2012 behind us and compete well into the 2013 finals campaign? We hope so in both respects. Scotland has worked so hard during the dark years and beyond - it would be a tragedy if we cannot give him the opportunity to play deep into September.

Here we go guys. Your suggestions/ thoughts are welcome. Anything to add/change, just let me know :)

#24 – Patrick McCarthy

A Little bit about Patrick
Patrick was selected in the 2010 National Draft with pick 34. He is an athletic tall defender who can also play as a lead up forward. He has a good football brain and can read the play well. Patrick played 11 games in the VFL in 2011. Patrick maintained consistency throughout the year and showed some really promising signs for the future.
He is currently listed as being 196cms and 84kgs.

Season 2012 for Patrick
Patrick played 16 games in the VFL this year, having an up and down season. His opening game of the year against Coburg was fairly strong. He finished the game with 6 marks and was named in the bests. The following week he wasn’t as strong, struggling a bit with his disposal of the ball, making a few mistakes. His next few weeks were fairly quiet before finding some nice form against Sandringham in May and he was named in the bests. Over the next few months Patrick showed some signs of improvement, getting a bit more of the ball and winning more one on one contests, but struggled to maintain consistency.
Patrick had one of his best games for the year mid season against Coburg. He played forward for most of the game, marking really well. He led strongly and finished with three goals.
His last month of football was much better and showed strong improvement. With all the injuries to the majority of the Carlton talls, Patrick got his chance in the final round of the home and away season against St Kilda. He started the game well and took some nice marks, impressing fans with his good decision making. He faded as the game went on, which is expected, but there were good signs of the talent he has. He finished the game with 10 disposals and 5 marks.

Where to from here?
Patrick has continued to bulk up, looking stronger than he did when he first arrived at the club. He is quite athletic and has improved his marking ability. As he is still young and lacking muscle he was often out-muscled by the more experienced stronger forwards.
He has had a taste of senior footy, which will assist him in knowing what is expected of him during games and what he needs to work on. A strong pre-season in the gym will assist Patrick in being able to compete more with his opponents and not get pushed off the ball so easily.
2012 was an up and down year for Patrick, but he continued to show positive signs of what is to come in the future with continued hard work and dedication.
Good luck for 2013!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jeffy.png

Jeff garlett and Chris Yarran at West Adelaide Oval prior to the Port Adelaide Clash

#39 - Jeffrey Garlett
Recruited from: Swan Districts (WAFL)
Games Played: 76
Goals Kicked: 128

2012 Statistics (from Superfooty)

Kicks: 195
Tackles: 72
Goals: 29
Behinds: 27
Score Assists: 38
Handballs: 69
Disposals: 264
Disposal Efficiency: 64%
Contested Possessions: 118
Uncontested Possessions: 148
Time on ground: 84% (22 matches)
Supercoach ranking: 135th (1609 pts)

The Story so far:

Jeff Garlett spent some time playing for his local club Burracoppin, but in 2007 began playing for Swan Districts. Essentially homeless and hungry, the club sent him to live with the parents of West Coast player Andrew Embley and with the Captain of Swan Districts. After 21 games with Swan Districts, Garlett was taken at pick 6 in the 2009 Rookie Draft, and was later elevated to the senior list to replace the injured Robert Warnock.

"I gave him the spiel about the club and the importance of knuckling down and biding your time to earn elevation to the senior list later in the season. He said to me, 'Oh no, I'll play Round 1, don't worry about that'. I said to him, 'You've got to be elevated prior to Round 1', and he said, 'I will'. And he was."
- Carlton Recruiting Manager, Shane Rogers.

He would finish sixth in the 2010 Rising Star Award after being nominated for a 6 goal haul against Essendon in round 19, 2010.

2009 Goals: 12
2010 Goals: 37
2011 Goals: 50
2012 Goals: 29

The 2012 Season

2012 would prove to be a frustrating season for Garlett, but while not as influential as he was in 2011, he was still able to effect games kicking 29 goals from 22 possible games, and effecting 38 scoring assists. He remained a ferocious tackler, frequently chasing down running opponents, and ending the season with 72 tackles.

2012 was characterised by Garlett playing much further up the field that in previous seasons, and it was not unsual to see the speedster running in off halfback toward goal including a memorable run from the wing against Collingwood that resulted in him kicking a goal.

"They wont catch him now"
- Bruce Macaveney, Channel 7

He was one of the few senior Blues players to escape the season uninjured playing all 22 matches and it could be argued that his wavering form at times was often in line with the teams bewildering 2012 form.

The Future

2013 poses its own challenges with a new coach and new coaching philosophy likely to impact the teams playstyle, and by association Garletts role in the side. Malthouse is however unlikely to forget just how devastating his run and instincts are at the scoring end of the ground having been on the recieving end of the display in times past.

In his fourth year at Carlton, the club and no doubt Garlett himself, will expect big things from the man who kicked 50 goals for the season in 2011, and let himself down slightly in 2012. However with a bit of help from the likes of Betts and Walker, and the Garlett will again light up the Blues forward line in 2013.

References:

Ive switched it back to my normal hosting. should work fine now.

Ive uploaded all the photos from that training session (before the Port game in Adelaide) to http://sdrv.ms/VWx6eY. Theres about 1.98gb worth - Do with them what you will, or do nothing, I dont care.

(For anyone wondering: I was going to use Flikr until i noticed the 300mb photo limit. Skydrive gives 7gb of space for free with no advertising, allowing me to upload the full uncropped versions of photos, autosynchronising with the folder on the hdd. )

We never really heard much about Matt throughout his time at Carlton, but here is his review. If anyone has any information they would like to add, just let me know
Note: had a bit of trouble with the layout of the quotes, Mods feel free to play around with it.

#49 Matthew Lodge

A bit about Matt:
Carlton signed Matthew Lodge to a three year deal under the Scholarship scheme in May 2008. Matthew was 15 at the time. Recipients of the scholarships receive financial assistance towards their football and education. Matthew spent regular periods of time training with Carlton. Under the scholarship program, Carlton had the option of priority listing on the primary list in the future.
Carlton used pick 67 in the 2011 AFL Rookie Draft to place Matt on the rookie list. He was listed as 186cms and 85kgs.
Matt describes himself as a running half back that uses his kicking to advantage.

Season 2012 for Matt:
Unfortunately for Matthew 2012 was an injury plagued year and he did not manage much game time at all. His first match for the year was 24th March against Coburg Tigers in the VFL Seniors. Matt played in the Vic Development League (VFL Reserves) for the rest of his season. Matt played from Round 5 through to Round 12, with 2 byes taking place in Rounds 7 and 11. In round 5 Matt used the ball quite well on most occassions and finished in the bests. His next month of footy was fairly quiet, doing a few nice things, but fading in and out of the games. Matt regained some form in rounds 10 and 12. His disposal of the ball improved and he was playing more of a part in the games. He was named in the bests in both games.
Matt played his last game in Round 17.
He later tweeted

Matthew Lodge@MatthewSLodge
My 2012 has been prematurely cut short, focus on my future and enjoying the coming success of the boys in these last couple of weeks

Where to from here?
After an injury plagued year Matthew was delisted from Carlton. Matthew showed signs of talent throughout his time at Carlton but his body just wasn’t able to cope with AFL football and he struggled to stay on the park.
On September 7th Matt tweeted:

Matthew Lodge@MatthewSLodge
Thanks for all the supportive tweets. The news has been on the horizon for a while the body hasn't been able to cope with demands of AFL.

Matthew is an aspiring journalist and will continue to study journalism. He has his own blog where he writes pieces about Australia’s Summer of Cricket 2012/13.
All the best for your future Matt, wherever that may be!

Information links:
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2008-05-07/matthew-lodge-signs-with-the-blues.default?
http://matthewslodgesummerofcricket.blogspot.com.au/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back