Opinion 2012 draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nup, now they have reposted that we passed on pick 69 to take Kyle Riemers in the preseason draft........ would really rather Garlett, even if he does go off the rails..... or failing that, a nice baked potato......

Brisbane did quite well all in all, but that was a facepalm moment.

Hi guys, sorry to intrude. I see you have mentioned Paparone as a good pick-up by the Lions. Does anyone have solid reports of him being quality? I haven't seen/heard much about him, then again I am not in WA.

Seriously, why would we even look at Reimers? He is soft and one-dimensional, and can only play a position that we have well covered.

Naturally I will embrace the Reim for the lulz should this atrocity ever come to pass, but I just don't understand the thinking.

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either. I can acknowledge he has talent, but even if he can find consistent form (and not be a tool) where does he fit in?

Hi guys, sorry to intrude. I see you have mentioned Paparone as a good pick-up by the Lions. Does anyone have solid reports of him being quality? I haven't seen/heard much about him, then again I am not in WA.

Not sure who might have said that. I have no idea about him personally but most of the comments I have seen say it was a pretty bad selection. Sin City, the best poster here when it comes to the junior talent, thought it was a pretty bad call I think.

I doubt we would take Garlett in the PSD. I think that if we were going to take him, we would snaffle him in the rookie draft... if the bummers didnt take him first.
If the rookie list is capped at four players now and we have Bell, Dale, Curnow and O'Keeffe on it then we won't be taking anyone. PSD or nothing for us.

If the rookie list is capped at four players now and we have Bell, Dale, Curnow and O'Keeffe on it then we won't be taking anyone. PSD or nothing for us.
Our rookie list depth is dependent on the number of players we have on our senior list. If you have 39 on the senior list, you can have 5 rookies... 38 and 6... and so on and so forth.

I think that we have the capacity to take 1 player in the PSD and one in the rookie draft now.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...al-work-begins-in-earnest-20121123-29yyw.html

Emma Quayle's Draft Wrap Up

Carlton got a good mix of players - Troy Menzel is a talented utility who would have gone in the top few if not for his history of knee injuries, Tom Temay could give some run off the half-back line and Morrish medallist Nick Graham couldn't have done much more as an inside midfielder this year. Some clubs were concerned about his knees, but at No. 54 the Blues got one of the best tacklers in the pool.

His slide was the biggest eyebrow-raiser, while Kennedy (Collingwood, pick 19), Tim O'Brien (Hawthorn, pick 28), Mason Wood (North Melbourne, pick 41), Tim Membrey (Sydney, pick 46) and Graham (Carlton, pick 54) could also prove big bargains. And, of course, there is Menzel, who has enough talent to become the best player from this draft.

The afl offseason facebook page posted that Emma Quayle has suggested we passed on pick 69 because we are looking at taking Garlett in the preseason draft....
If we wanted him, why wouldn't we just take him at pick 69 in the draft? What is the advantage of us competing with other clubs to get him in the preseason draft, or rookie draft for that matter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I'll take Quayle's word for it. She studies this stuff and knows the draft back to front. I am convinced this will be one of our better drafts of recent years.

I like that it's not a draft of safe meat and potatoes picks.

Picking a guy at #11 who many agree could be the best player in the draft = win. It might not work out, but hell, we've got nothing from pick 11s before, haven't we? At least this one has all-world upside.

And Graham could turn out to be nothing too, as most #54 picks do. But he's already snaffled a Morrish and can *clearly* play. Could come on and be a very valuable second-tier guy. Who knows, could go on to Brad Sewell levels of awesomeness, sounds like he has similar attributes? Worth a punt.

Like it. Let's hope these guys don't just disappear into nothingness like a few Stephen Brownes and other similar characters who never really amounted to anything at the Blues :S.

It's very confusing but I think the deal is you can have 40 + 4 or 38 + 6. So we can take 2, more likely in the rookie draft (one of whom will be Collins) - and then I believe we have the option of upgrading up to 2 rookies in March if we want (to bring us to 40 + 4)

It's very confusing but I think the deal is you can have 40 + 4 or 38 + 6. So we can take 2, more likely in the rookie draft (one of whom will be Collins) - and then I believe we have the option of upgrading up to 2 rookies in March if we want (to bring us to 40 + 4)
Cheers EP, any idea who else we might be taking?

Cheers EP, any idea who else we might be taking?

088056-kyle-reimers.jpg

Do we know when the new boys will have their first training session at the club with the rest of the group?
I heard Rogers say that the players and coaches will have next week off - so I guess they'll start training the week after. He also said the new boys will be at the club next Wednesday for physical screenings and light ball work, and to help them settle in.

Just spoke to Emma Quayle on twitter.

In response to my question about why we would take Reimers in PSD when we couldve had him in draft.
"I don't think they want Reimers. They'd been weighing him up as last pick but obv didn't take him. Why's everyone asking me this??"

Then sent her link to facebook page and she replied.
"Prob my fault for not explaining properly - he was a consideration in the draft but they wanted to see who else was there first"

So it seems that the facebook page may be wrong - I did tell her that it was posted there. Seems she had no idea.

Re Collins she says: "Collins they want to get back on the list, as far as I'm told probably as a rookie but can't think off the top of my head how many spots they have left. Maybe just the one."
Goes on to say: "apparently Collins came back in great shape so maybe they'll give him a chance to get his spot on the main list back"

So as long as we don't undo our good work in the draft by picking up Reimers, looks like a pretty good week for CFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back