Opinion 2012 draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I am confused.

I was under the impression we won't be participating in the PSD, only the Rookie Draft.

https://twitter.com/AFL_PKeane

PreSeason order:1 GWS; 2 WB; 3 PA; 4 BL; 5 Rich; 6 Ess; 7 Car; 8 Fre; 9 Col; 10 Ade; 11 Syd; 12 GWS; 13 Car; 14 Fre; 15 Col; 16 Syd; 17 Syd.

A total of 17 selections are eligible to be used in the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft Tuesday, December 11, after TPP eligibility was determined.

Harks,
will be 2 rookie picks (1 being Collins) for a list of 38+6,
with Curnow and Bell to be nominated rookies.

I'd hazard a guess that the other 4 rookies will be battling it out over the pre-season and NAB cup for a shot as McInnes' LTI replacement.

Now I am confused.

I was under the impression we won't be participating in the PSD, only the Rookie Draft.

https://twitter.com/AFL_PKeane
We have the choice of taking those two picks to give us 40 on the senior list, or taking one to give us 39 on the senior list and one rookie selection or skipping both PSD picks to leave us with 38 on the senior list and two rookie selections.

I think we may have been but pretty happy that Collingwood came in over the top of us, but yes we were seriously looking at Lynch.

Cloke will make for an interesting story one day.
Still unsure as to whether we turned our back on him when he couldn't commit, or whether he just used us as leverage, for his end means
A lot of people had him all but a signed deal, pretty late in the piece.

Caddy? Counting our blessings even at this early stage although only time will truly tell whether handing over #11++ would have been the better bet.
Would think that Rogers and co. may just be a little glad our offer was not accepted.

I must agree. I was all for Caddy with #11, but that was on the proviso that they threw in Toy and I think he could be a VERY good player. That said the lack of interest in Toy since the information regarding his heart condition came out + getting Menzel with #11 and Graham with #54 offsets not getting Caddy IMO. And no, I am not implying that Graham will be as good as Caddy, just that Caddy + Toy + whoever would be available with #54 isn't as good as Menzel + Graham + Rookie pick (who could be Toy anyway)

Pre-Season Draft order .......

Link

There are 17 selections available in this year's pre-season draft, although it is expected that no more than eight of the picks will be used by the clubs, who will hold off until the rookie draft
The pre-season draft will take place via conference call at 11am next Tuesday, to be immediately preceeded by the AFL rookie draft.

2012 NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft

Round One
1 – GWS Giants
2 – Western Bulldogs
3 – Port Adelaide
4 – Brisbane Lions
5 – Richmond
6 – Essendon
7 – Carlton
8 – Fremantle
9 – Collingwood
10 – Adelaide Crows
11 – Sydney Swans

Round Two
12 – GWS Giants
13 – Carlton
14 – Fremantle
15 – Collingwood
16 – Sydney Swans

Round Three
17 – Sydney Swans

Link

I'd hazard a guess that the other 4 rookies will be battling it out over the pre-season and NAB cup for a shot as McInnes' LTI replacement.
I wouldn't be 100% certain that McInnes will be put on the LTI list, given he & the club have been talking up a May return date. Unless something has changed, you have to have a player on the LTI list for a minimum of 8 weeks, which would take you well into May.

We have the choice of taking those two picks to give us 40 on the senior list, or taking one to give us 39 on the senior list and one rookie selection or skipping both PSD picks to leave us with 38 on the senior list and two rookie selections.

Makes sense Sin.

We could also upgrade a rookie/rookies with 1/2 picks in the PSD.

Just remember reading somewhere in this thread that we would not be participating in the PSD but wouldn't surprise me if we upgraded one of our rookies.

The way I read it is that we have cap space to participate in the PSD.
Yeah strange, on the one hand we were chasing Cloke, on the other hand we read that Judd's Visy payments affect our ability to manage our list and participate in the trade period.

One would think Collins would be taken in the PSD if possible - if PSD selections only sign up for one year instead of two. It makes no sense to carry 5 players who all played senior footy last year within 2 nominated rookie spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make it happen Freo :D

Dockers wildcard in Tippett race

FREMANTLE could spoil Sydney's party by swooping on Kurt Tippett in Tuesday's pre-season draft.
Tippett is permitted to set his contract demands before the draft, although they are believed to fall short of Sydney's reported $3.5 million offer.

Of the clubs with a pick before Sydney, Fremantle looms as the wildcard.
The Dockers appear to have salary cap room - and a stated desire for a key forward - after failing in a bid to lure Travis Cloke from Collingwood with a five-year $5 million deal.

Dockers wildcard in Tippett race

Stephenson, Laycock and Brogan in the mix as far as ruck prospects. :oops:

If Casboult masters the hitouts and kicking over the preseason, he could be worth a first round pick next year.

I would have thought the Bulldogs and Brisbane would be highly interested in Tippett.

How then do they not have cap-space but Freo do? I thought the idea was the Tippett could only move to Sydney because of the additional living allowance the Swans pork-barrel?

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Freo won't take Tippett

FREMANTLE won't spoil Sydney's party by swooping on Kurt Tippett in Tuesday's pre-season draft.

The Dockers today ruled out a surprise move to select Tippett with their No.8 pick before the Swans' first selection at 11.

Freo won't take Tippett

Oh well that didn't last long.

Must be another slow news day !!!

Seriously though, picking up Collins as a rookie is all but pointless isn't it, being that Bell and Curnow are all but guaranteed the nominated rookie status?

Not pointless at all. We're paying him regardless, so he may as well be on the list. Cutting him from the senior list means Bell and Curnow can play, but Collins has the another chance at making it.

I wouldn't be 100% certain that McInnes will be put on the LTI list, given he & the club have been talking up a May return date. Unless something has changed, you have to have a player on the LTI list for a minimum of 8 weeks, which would take you well into May.

It thought McInnes was already on the LTI list.
It doesn't reset at the start of the new season, surely?

Not pointless at all. We're paying him regardless, so he may as well be on the list. Cutting him from the senior list means Bell and Curnow can play, but Collins has the another chance at making it.

Given we passed on 2 ND selections, we could've demoted Collins and promoted Bell and Curnow to the primary list. Collins would still be waiting on an LTI.

So either we're planning on catching a surprise fish in the PSD next week or our salary cap is so afflicted by our captain's Visy deal that we have 5 players from 2012 (inc O'Keeffe, Dale) fighting it out for 2 nominated rookie spots.

Something sounds fishy - board transparency, Ruffy? :)

Just to put in what I recall reading; I'm fairly sure rookies *don't* count towards the cap.
Just to put in what I recall reading; I'm fairly sure rookies *don't* count towards the cap.
I think that some of rookie salaries are excluded from the cap, half maybe. But if a rookie is paid more than the base rookie salary then it is only the base part that is excluded so it stops clubs paying nominated rookies say $150,000 and not having it in the cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back