Opinion 2012 draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously you have no idea about the rules? There is likely to be only two clubs that can force Melbourne to use their first round selection. The question clubs have to ask themselves is, do they rate Viney one of the top two selections in this draft?

Probably the best inside player this draft, so a gc would ask themselves if they would want a 'Sam Mitchell' type or not, although I don't think he is quite as duel sided as Mitchell he is not much shorter and around the same pace with a big engine and ferocious attack, who wouldn't want him...

Probably the best inside player this draft, so a gc would ask themselves if they would want a 'Sam Mitchell' type or not, although I don't think he is quite as duel sided as Mitchell he is not much shorter and around the same pace with a big engine and ferocious attack, who wouldn't want him...

Would rather let another club take the hit and force Melbourne's hand, no need to make enemies if another club will do your dirty work for you ;)

So, all of a sudden we have an 'inside mid' in Bell and a power forward in Levi...

There is even talk of 'twin towers' in some threads today with Levi and Mitchell...

Andy Collins has come on strong and is showing the reason we traded for him ( elite kick, strong over head, quick and super smart)...

What do we need in the draft??

For me, best available and if that means another midfielder so be it...!

Jaksch hasn't really found his position.

O'Rourke, Vlaustin, and if we luck out Wines or Stringer are who I'd like. All big (for juniors) inside mids.

Bell's certainly a prospect but I'm not throwing all my eggs in one basket, and we do need a succession plan post Judd/Carrots on the inside.

Judging off Phantoms there are a few player who won't get to our current pick 10.

Whitfield
Grundy
Toumpas
Mayes

After that there are a few likely to go high but might slip

Plowman
Kennedy
Stringer
Wines
O'Rourke

Then that essentially leaves our pick

PS. This is all knowledge gleaned off of others opinions. I'm interested but not a draft watcher

What sort of player is he Harks?

BTW, well done on Saturday night boys. I had written us, and the season, off. They have broken my heart too many times this year to gain any confidence from it. An amazing win, with essentially half a reserves side out there.

Andy Collins has arrived eh? I am very happy to see it. I never questioned that he had some silk, but was concerned we wouldnt see it due to injury and opportunity. Well done.

From what I saw, a lot to like about Bell, and even Dale in a short amount of time.

Scotty is timeless eh? Hope we get 2 more years out of him.

So, all of a sudden we have an 'inside mid' in Bell and a power forward in Levi...

There is even talk of 'twin towers' in some threads today with Levi and Mitchell...

Andy Collins has come on strong and is showing the reason we traded for him ( elite kick, strong over head, quick and super smart)...

What do we need in the draft??

For me, best available and if that means another midfielder so be it...!

I havn't been that worried with our key position stocks too much. They have had a bad run of injuries but if they can put those behind them we should have some good young players to take us foward for years to come.

There is a mind set out there that our list has lots of holes in it and we need to do a mini-rebuild. Personally I beleive we already have a bloody good list that has just been struck down this year with an un imaginable amount of injuries.

Best available player works for me.

15. Sydney - Kristian Jaksch (KPF/KPD)
Height: 194cm
Weight: 85kg
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Range: 8-30
Description: I think Jaksch will turn out to be the best of this years KPF. Not sure he is worthy of a top 10 pick at this stage but I think a team will snatch him up quite early. Is a pretty solid KPD but it's his work as a KPF that will push him up to being a pick in the top 15-20. Is a very good contested mark and I believe he is a guy you could build an attack around long term. Has very good skills for a big man and believe he will turn into a big, strong FF/CHF like a Hurley type.
I wouldn't sneeze at another quick Full Back who could give us coverage for Jamison. I want Henderson to play forward. White is vanilla and undersized. Watson and McCarthy appear to be better suited to CHB. We might be able to find a defender with our second pick. A man mountain mid is a must in my uneducated opinion.
14. Carlton - Nick Vlastuin (Midfielder)
Height: 187cm
Weight: 83kg
Club: Northern Knights
Range: 5-20
Description: Vlastuin is a real hard nut inside midfielder. Someone who a GC, Richmond, Carlton would love to have. Wasn’t hugely productive in the Champs but was playing a new role off a HBF. For a big bodied inside mid he has some pretty neat kicking skills. The downside to him would be that he isn’t the most athletically gifted player going around in that he isn’t very quick, he doesn’t have a big leap and he’s already very physically developed. However, he is already a pretty high level player and has the added bonus of good leadership quality as well.
o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

common guys we all know we wont pick a KPP, its just not the CFC way
Kennedy_L.jpg

We picked three of them in 2010.

Irrespective of who we may have earmarked through the draft, I think we'll still get the best mid available with our first pick.
It will just work out that way.

i agree more quality mids in this draft than KPP.
not really phased who we pick up, they don't need to be a superstar, just hope they can have a 10 year career and contrbute regularly.

I wouldn't sneeze at another quick Full Back who could give us coverage for Jamison. I want Henderson to play forward. White is vanilla and undersized. Watson and McCarthy appear to be better suited to CHB. We might be able to find a defender with our second pick. A man mountain mid is a must in my uneducated opinion.

o_O
Which bit do you disagree with? That he played Half back or that he wasn't overly productive? Was more getting at the fact some had him pegged top 5.

I think an inside mid should be prority. Not just because of what we saw this year, but they are just so valuable having a few on the list. Who was that one poster last year that snapped when we took Bootsma??? I could do that + more this year if we go a skinny lad who plays across half back.

Looking through Knightmares mock draft from back in June. Happy really with the lads that will be around at our picks. If Richmond beat us this week and if Freo and Brisbane can string a few more wins, we could be looking at pick 8. Not happy with the year and teams like that being above us, but it would set us up for a big assult come draft time. We all saw what happened to Geelong in 2006-2007.

From what I have read, Oliver Wines would be a good get. Doubt he will last until our pick, but who knows??? He's my hope in the first round.

Whats others Opinions on Aish from South Australia? I liked what i seen of him against WA at the Championships, good run and carry and a good kick, he could be still around when it comes to our 2nd pick at the draft, would others be happy if we took him 2nd round?

BTW this new Bigfooty is crap, how many times i ha pressed like or tryed to reply in a post and it comes up with a big Error sign on my screen, does anyone else have this problem?

This is a worry, most people tend to agree with what types we need in this thread! Strong onball type seems to be in most people's mind which is pretty well spot on as it's a deficiancy in our list/team and our older players being keys onballers/mids. I tend to think we aught to go for these guys early as we should be able to identify them and if we leave them they will go. Some are saying a key forward but many suggest that we already have the young key forwards on our list which I tend to agree with fairly well. Some calls for a quick fullback due to Jamison's problems and the others being better suited to CHB I agree with. I don't recon it's high priority but it's up there. Also like the idea of picking up a project ruckman. Would be glad to see us go with strong onballers with our first two picks and first 3 if there is still quality left and then look at a fullback and then after a forward and a ruckman late or in the rookie draft. Would be great to really draft out of our skins this year because we need to draft well now to really set us up for when Judd, Scotland, Carrazzo and Waite start to decline.

Whats others Opinions on Aish from South Australia? I liked what i seen of him against WA at the Championships, good run and carry and a good kick, he could be still around when it comes to our 2nd pick at the draft, would others be happy if we took him 2nd round?

BTW this new Bigfooty is crap, how many times i ha pressed like or tryed to reply in a post and it comes up with a big Error sign on my screen, does anyone else have this problem?

Not sure how you plan on selecting Aish, unless you're talking about the 2013 draft? In that draft, it would be a shock atm if he lasted outside the top 10 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back