Opinion 2012 draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Former Crow Tom Lee getting some good wraps the last couple of seasons, would be happy if we snared him with a late pick as a ready-made KPP.

I'm fairly sure Kristian Jaksch wore #33 for Metro against WA in the final round... Can anyone confirm this? I really liked what I saw (whoever it was), they looked a super talent though didn't have an overly strong impact on the game.

2012 BigFooty Phantom Draft - The Trial Run
I had a player in mind here, I have just chickened out, plus I have a feeling he will be around for Carlton's next pick. (Not that I will be picking for Carlton, but he should be around going by the talk on these boards)

Pick 10 - Carlton - Lachie Plowman

Was flying just before the championships and an elbow injury has kept him out of the team. I feel like this is a safe select that is appealing to the masses. Carlton have recruited a number of tall players in the previous two drafts, but this player may allow Henderson to move forward if required. Carlton rolling the dice with another tall player.

He has a little bit of Hurleys attack on the contest with close to the same levels of kicking. He is more of a rebounding defender that can set up plays, but does not forget about stopping his man. He could be a very tall midfielder, so maybe someone like Sam Fisher is a good example. If he could be half as good as Fisher, that would be a win for Carlton. Like Fisher, I feel that he has the ability to play as a KPD in the future and hopefully with Watson, Jamison, McCarthy and Henderson, the tall stocks in the defensive half for Carlton are set.
Another Bootsma will go down well with the great unwashed. ;) :confused: :thumbsu: :cool:
Pick 32 - Andrew Boston - Carlton

Boston has been playing for the Suns reserves team and this no doubt will help with his development. All reports stated that he played a lot as a small forward in the NEAFL and had the ability to kick goals.

Was named in the AA squad for the championships and really showed his class against Tasmania, that would have got the scouts attention. This selection was helped with some of my Eastern States contacts, we discussed the options and I really liked Wright, he did not suited our needs, so Boston was the next viable option. (Atkins was going to be my option if I chickened out of selecting Boston, that option was taken away from me).

He has shown leadership qualities, which is a good sign and played in the midfield at the championships. Has a very nice and solid kick and seems to be dual sided in many regards, maybe not a Whitfield, but very solid. He would have an above average DE% as he picks the correct targets and knows his limits. Has the ability to play a little taller than his height, agile and as I said before, can kick bags of goals.

Obviously the draft ratings and phantom draft will be changed around a bit after the combine, but right now I see us having a pick between 8-11 and I see our first pick being used on one of the following:
1. Oliver Wines
2. Jonathan O'Rourke
3. Jake Stringer

Of course that is me being hopeful, so any of the above I'd be happy to take.
I have read that Wines is mainly an big body inside mid, while O'Rourke can play both inside and outside and well Stringer is just a utility like Goddard apparently, and if he can fully recover from his broken leg last year and regain his speed, well he would be a pretty complete prospect from what I have read.

Hey lads... Heard a rumour (check my post history, not a troll) that you fellas have a reasonable interest in Nathan Batsanis. Has had good years at WWT in the SANFL, followed by a premiership at Port Melbourne and is playing great footy for Norwood in the SANFL again. Is a mate of Marc Murphy's too.

May not happen, just passing on what I've heard

Hey lads... Heard a rumour (check my post history, not a troll) that you fellas have a reasonable interest in Nathan Batsanis. Has had good years at WWT in the SANFL, followed by a premiership at Port Melbourne and is playing great footy for Norwood in the SANFL again. Is a mate of Marc Murphy's too.

May not happen, just passing on what I've heard

Care to describe him as a player?

Tall/Small, Slow/Quick, Skilled? Tough? etc.

Thanks in advance

Nathan Batsanis was unlucky to get over looked in the main draft in his year, very fit player blew all away in the draft beep test..
daniel menzels (troy i think) brother is a risk an will be still around at our pick 10ish.. can play foward an is verysmart around goal an can go into the middle, maybe the z factor an risk we need to add into our mids

Obviously the draft ratings and phantom draft will be changed around a bit after the combine, but right now I see us having a pick between 8-11 and I see our first pick being used on one of the following:
1. Oliver Wines
2. Jonathan O'Rourke
3. Jake Stringer

I have read that Wines is mainly an big body inside mid, while O'Rourke can play both inside and outside and well Stringer is just a utility like Goddard apparently, and if he can fully recover from his broken leg last year and regain his speed, well he would be a pretty complete prospect from what I have read.

Jake STRINGER has played basketball at State level so is pretty handy and it crosses over to the footy field. One day while evading tacklers I saw him bounce the ball to his side with one hand while not looking at the ball and it came back to the hand still without him looking. I haven't seen that before at all. Could be special and is a nice size.

Stringer from all reports is top 3 talent, but broke his leg pretty badly last year.

Coming back from injury has been serviceable but not excellent. If we take him it is gambling on him making a full recovery. After seeing Brown/Barlow post break I think he'll never be what he could of been, but he'll certainly be good, I'm interested

He is a mid. High 170s. Solid build without being nuggety. Outside player mostly. Knows where the goals are. Good tank. Spent a while on ports rookie list tearing up the SANFL but couldn't get a run. Not sure why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer from all reports is top 3 talent, but broke his leg pretty badly last year.

Coming back from injury has been serviceable but not excellent. If we take him it is gambling on him making a full recovery. After seeing Brown/Barlow post break I think he'll never be what he could of been, but he'll certainly be good, I'm interested
Was named in the best players for Bendigo in the VFL today :thumbsu:

1. Oliver Wines
2. Jonathan O'Rourke
3. Jake Stringer

In the Phantom draft only Stringer was left on the board, without knowing the medical details, there is an element of risk. He has been moving rather slowly recently, so he needs to improve his mobility.

He is also a man child, so his potential development may also be a little limited. He was a HUGE talent before the leg injury.

Hope we take Benny duscher as a late pick, being a mildura boy myself I can't believe he isn't on a list. As for the draft got my fingers, toes even me old fella crossed that wines makes it to us!!

after the awesome win tonight i used the ladder predictor and we are most likely going to have pick 10 or 11, it would take a freaking miracle for oliver wines to slip that far.

Stringer will always be a risk considering the terrible break. As good as a quality player he is, I don't think the club is willing to take that risk with this year's draft being a strong one with plenty of other talents to choose from. If Stringer was picked in a weak draft then I would understand the thoughts behind it.

Was named in the best players for Bendigo in the VFL today :thumbsu:
Stringer is the best choice. He can play in multiple positions although like everyone a little nervous if he will be injury prone. I think he is the player to get if we are signing Travis Cloke or we get Charlie Dixon in a trade or later pick. Mason Shaw remind me a little of Simon Minton Connell and Kristian Jaksch is the best key position that I would get if Cloke does not become a blue.

googled nathan batsanis and the first article came up

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-nathan-batsanis/story-e6frenf3-1226288170445

apparently he has already trained with us, so there are a bit of connections

I have a strange feeling that Shane Rodgers/Wayne Hughes have deliberately made Nathan Batsanis play for Norwood because they rate Nathan Bassett's coaching program as a pathway to the AFL.

Don't be surprised if we pick him up, Shane Rodgers loves the Norwood boys.

who's tom boyd? any information?

Eastern Ranges/Norwood forward who played for Vic Metro in the National Championships. Is 16 years old and already 199cm and close to 100kg. Is an outstanding contested mark - which is not surprising given his size advantage - but he just generally looks a super talent.

Won't be eligible until next year and probably wouldn't want to grow too much taller, but he certainly looks a star KPF in the making. You'd think he will be snapped up early if he continues his improvement next year, so we'd have to trade into the early part of the first round to get him.

All the talk about stringer and how it was a bad brake and might not get back to his best sounds a lot like selwood before the cats picked him up and even Judd with his bad shoulder. I would pick stringer in a heart beat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back