2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't remember to be honest. From what I remember I first saw it mentioned here then expaned upon outside of these forums. Reasoning was we have no good up and coming rucks, Vickery is seen as a forward now and with the skills of early round rucks (Longer, Kruezer etc.) it was worth the pick. It does make sense to me as gun rucks don't come along everyday. I know people like to trade for rucks or gamble a late pick on them but I think our late pick gambling for rucks has been a bit below par (Putt, Browne, Derrickx (untested, I know), Graham, Pattison, I think the picture is drawn) and that is why this has been mentioned in dispaches.
Fair enough. Just don't remember hearing it. If he's available at our pick I'm all for it but pretty confident someone will pull the trigger earlier.

Edit: I'm firmly on the get Marvin Warrell bandwagon with a late/rookie pick. Has got tricks.

TBH Tugg , I'd suspect someone like Wines to be a better player than Boak within 12 months of being within a AFL club .
When you are trading though, future drafts don't come into account. It's market value. AFL trading is one of the few currencies where market value is the value that is dealt with at the time.

When you are trading though, future drafts don't come into account. It's market value. AFL trading is one of the few currencies where market value is the value that is dealt with at the time.
Yea your right Tugg a club will most likely offer a 1st round pick , which Port will most likely request .
However I think it would be a better option to grab a inside mid from this draft , as I suspect the real genuine inside mids, in this draft, to slip a little as clubs will be falling over themselves to get outside types . I just hope we ain't one of those clubs as IMO this years draft despite all the hype won't be as deep as the 2013 draft and there is going to be some very very good outside mid depth in 2013 .

Another WA guy I left out who it will be interesting to see if we look at him as he fills a need as an inside midfielder is the brother of one of our rookies Brendan Verrier. Missed selection for the Champs so probably won't be a high pick but all reports is that he is better than his brother and Steve is going quite well at Coburg.

Averages 22 possession (13k, 9hb) at Colts level
Played 1 Reserves game for 25 possies.

Tigs2010 has put together a good list some names I'd like to add are Sam Heavyside and Taylor Garner.

Heavyside is a similar player Lachie Neale/Toby Greene, racks up the touches and is a very good clearance player. Plays within his limitations and has that competitive edge that Dimma would love. Out for 6 weeks with a foot injury, he a slid off a few watchers top 30 or so radar but I expect him to climb up the order when he get's back and hopefully plays finals with the Pios in the TAC

Garner is a very skillful tough player who is strong overhead with very good goal kicking ability. Coming off a limited pre-season playing predominately forward, I think he has a lot more to offer than he's showing at the moment. Has very good midfield ability so he as well so I think he could really fill a void in our 22.

I'm a bit more of a fan of O'Rourke at this stage. He's my early prediction for our first rounder. The Sloane comparison Knightmare made is a good one and he's more athletic and skilled than Vlastuin while still being very good inside.

I posted this on another forum but may as well put it here to get some discussion going

"How would people feel about drafting Troy Menzel? Younger brother of Daniel has already had a knee reco (LARS) and is currently sitting on the sidelines with what is reported what is rumored to be OP. Very skilled player, kicking is creative and he has very good goal sense.

When fit Troy has shown quite a bit more than Dan this year. Playing for the Bulldogs in SANFL he has more midfield ability than his brother and then in the Championships playing primarily as a marking forward he kicked 15 goals (9 then 6) in the first two games albeit against Div 2 teams.

So with more talent than his bro but the history of injury with him and his family do you think we should take the risk?"

Tigs2010 has put together a good list some names I'd like to add are Sam Heavyside and Taylor Garner.

Heavyside is a similar player Lachie Neale/Toby Greene, racks up the touches and is a very good clearance player. Plays within his limitations and has that competitive edge that Dimma would love. Out for 6 weeks with a foot injury, he a slid off a few watchers top 30 or so radar but I expect him to climb up the order when he get's back and hopefully plays finals with the Pios in the TAC

Garner is a very skillful tough player who is strong overhead with very good goal kicking ability. Coming off a limited pre-season playing predominately forward, I think he has a lot more to offer than he's showing at the moment. Has very good midfield ability so he as well so I think he could really fill a void in our 22.

I'm a bit more of a fan of O'Rourke at this stage. He's my early prediction for our first rounder. The Sloane comparison Knightmare made is a good one and he's more athletic and skilled than Vlastuin while still being very good inside.

I posted this on another forum but may as well put it here to get some discussion going

"How would people feel about drafting Troy Menzel? Younger brother of Daniel has already had a knee reco (LARS) and is currently sitting on the sidelines with what is reported what is rumored to be OP. Very skilled player, kicking is creative and he has very good goal sense.

When fit Troy has shown quite a bit more than Dan this year. Playing for the Bulldogs in SANFL he has more midfield ability than his brother and then in the Championships playing primarily as a marking forward he kicked 15 goals (9 then 6) in the first two games albeit against Div 2 teams.

So with more talent than his bro but the history of injury with him and his family do you think we should take the risk?"

I left Heavyside out because I had Hrovat and have seen more of Hrovat. If it was say our last pick in the draft and both were available who would you take?

Friday was first time I'd seen Garner and was a bit disappointed. Looking forward to Wednesday.

Of those 4 I listed first round I'd personally go Mayes, O'Rourke, Wines and Vlastuin in that order.

What's your take on Atkins? Personally really like him but has struggled (been below expectations) a bit in some games especially Champs.

I left Heavyside out because I had Hrovat and have seen more of Hrovat. If it was say our last pick in the draft and both were available who would you take?

Friday was first time I'd seen Garner and was a bit disappointed. Looking forward to Wednesday.

Of those 4 I listed first round I'd personally go Mayes, O'Rourke, Wines and Vlastuin in that order.

What's your take on Atkins? Personally really like him but has struggled (been below expectations) a bit in some games especially Champs.

Hrovat or Heavyside? I choose Heavy but that's just comes down to personal preference. He has that x factor about him when he goes near it but you could just as easlity make a case the other way. Hrovat definitely has the runs on the board ATM

Friday was a s**t day for football in gerenal in my opinion, I think Garner will bounce back under the roof at Etihad.

I'm unsure whether injury or illness is behind Atkins form slump. He's definatley too good for TAC level though and I expect him to turn it around in time for the Cannons finals. Shapes up as a very good 2nd round option

I'm actually in the position of having seen more Victorian lads than usual - and have seen a heap of Heavyside.

I, like TV, have him just ahead of Hrovat. Big body, neat disposal, really good mark and can go forward, and play as both a marking forward, or as a crumber. He's a thinking footballer - picks good options and he just gives his all. I really like him.

I think Atkins is my favourite player in this draft - do you think he's better inside or outside TV?

Unsure what's been plaguing him - but I'd have no worries using our second rounder on him.

Tigerbob - do you reckon Stringer's AFL position is as a forward? I reckon he's a midfielder first and foremost, and he was downright scary in the fourth against Sandringham on Saturday.

I think Atkins is my favourite player in this draft - do you think he's better inside or outside TV?

Unsure what's been plaguing him - but I'd have no worries using our second rounder on him.

Tigerbob - do you reckon Stringer's AFL position is as a forward? I reckon he's a midfielder first and foremost, and he was downright scary in the fourth against Sandringham on Saturday.

I think Atkins inside game is what really has caught my attention in the past. His work in tight, in traffic is very good.

That's great you're seeing more Vic kids this year, any names that haven't been mentioned you wana throw out there?

I was actually going to ask you about a Tassie boy, Lonergan and where you think he sits round wise.

Stringer is a interesting prospect given his inconsistent come back, in the midfield is definitely where he is most influential but will that translate to AFL level? I think either the Dogs or Melbourne who have multiple 1st rounders will snap him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Atkins inside game is what really has caught my attention in the past. His work in tight, in traffic is very good.

That's great you're seeing more Vic kids this year, any names that haven't been mentioned you wana throw out there?

I was actually going to ask you about a Tassie boy, Lonergan and where you think he sits round wise.

Stringer is a interesting prospect given his inconsistent come back, in the midfield is definitely where he is most influential but will that translate to AFL level? I think either the Dogs or Melbourne who have multiple 1st rounders will snap him up.

I'd be picking him as an insider as well. Him and Pongracic in the second round would really set us up nicely with inside mids. Just watched replay of SA and VM and must say O'Rourke will be a gun. You're probably right in saying he will be a likely candidate for our first rounder. Really happy he has got over his injuries too. :thumbsu:

Stringer will probably be the most interesting player come draft day to see where he fits in. I question whether he dominates due to him just being so big though. Man against boys sort of thing. Wouldn't mind seeing him play a couple of games for Bendigo Gold before end of the year to see how he copes.

Who do you like out of the small forwards? Personal fave is Warrell but there is always a fair few around with only a few getting a go.

TV how do you rate Tim Membrey? Ive watched the first half of the Vic country/Metro game and he has looked pretty good though he is a lot bigger then everyone else on the ground.

I like Membrey, he's a hard worker off the ball and a great overhead mark. I think he could play a similar role to Crameri at Essendon. Good leader too, he's captain of the Gippy Power. I'm unsure where he fits in the overall scheme of things but if he was available in the 3rd round I'd be very tempted. As you said he's a big boy and would be ready to go next year

Interesting you say that. Atkins really ripped it apart as an outside midfielder in his best game of his that I saw. He was so dangerous when given space, and his exceptional hands made it really easy for him to give and go and hurt the opposition on the fast break. I think the best thing about Atkins is that he's capable of playing both outside and in, and doing both very well.

Do indeed have a few. I think Chris Prowse could be worth a gamble if he slides - I really like what he does. I've got a few more what aren't particularly what we're looking for - but just thought I'd throw out some names:

Kenny Ong - from Sandringham. Fast, silky, hard-running kid who just gets in the right spots and racks it up. A bit like Alex Woodward from Sandringham last year in that he can hurt you.

Josh Scott from Gippsland. Floating half-forward with poise and an ability to take a speccy. I don't know if he gets enough of the pill, but he's one I like.

Matt Northe from Gippsland. I really liked his brother Tim, who played in the Gippy team that made the GF against Calder a few years back, and I quite like Matt too. Can play midfield and half-forward, reads the play really well, is always dangerous and has beautiful disposal. Height is the knock.

Liam Byrne - Bendigo. Plays half-back/midfield. Hard, tough midfielder who looks silky behind the ball - cuts off plays and sets up attacks from down there really well. Can be accountable too. Disposal is the query, but I really like him. Broke his hand earlier this year, so you can expect to see him to be affected by his shortened season.

Adam Saad - Calder. Got a few fans. Big, solid-bodied left-footer who plays on a wing. Doesn't seem to get enough of the footy all the time, but does have some good qualities.

They're just a few who have got next to no press.

Lonergan's one I really like - but I think he doesn't stand out in this draft because he's one of those dedicated, hard and tough midfielders with quick hands who does the inside stuff really well, but mightn't cut you to shreds when he's outside. Maybe late 2nd/early 3rd? What do you think?

I think Stringer's midfield dominance can translate to AFL level, if even a fraction of his mobility and endurance returns. He showed in bursts on Saturday that he's not too far away from putting it all together. People think he's a bully, but when he's on he gets to the ball first and has the core strength to make decisions. Moves a bit like a mac-truck when turning at the moment.

I like Membrey, he's a hard worker off the ball and a great overhead mark. I think he could play a similar role to Crameri at Essendon. Good leader too, he's captain of the Gippy Power. I'm unsure where he fits in the overall scheme of things but if he was available in the 3rd round I'd be very tempted. As you said he's a big boy and would be ready to go next year
My knock on Membrey is that too often he does too little though. He has to play on the first or second defender at TAC level which doesn't help him, but I've seen him get towelled up a few times. Doesn't grab too many out on the lead, and I don't think he has the zip Crameri has. I think he'll go, because like you said, he works hard, is okay when the ball hits the deck and is good overhead but I just don't know if he'll get the seperation from defenders he requires at AFL level.

I did read that Atkins bounced back after being dropped from Vic M and had roughly 50 touches in the TAC. I've never seen him play a game like that but can imagine it must have been immense!

Hopefully he shows somthing similar tomorrow night at Etihad as I see he's back in the team. As is Heavyside. (Raymann said he was out for 6 weeks?)

I only saw Lonergan playing underage last year so that's why I was keen to get you thoughts on him. He does appear to be getting in the Goal kickers when fit which is good to see.

Ong was quite impressive in last years TAC cup grand final where he played a bit of small forward/mid and kicked a very important goal late which helped Sandy get the win

could you give a comparison or both players? vlastuin seems like a good player

Vlastuin is probably more of a Luke Ball

Just got back from the games, even though it was turn over city I walked away feeling like we should be get a very good player with our first pick. After that though it's just like any other draft IMO.

Really liked Mayes' game. Thought he showed a bit when he went through the middle and is such a smooth mover. Could be a goer.

Happy to see Stringer putting some good footy together again. I wonder how far he could slide, I'd love the opportunity for him to become a Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back