2nds 2012 Eagles WAFL watch thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a lot worse than him playing the small forward role at AFL level though, let's be honest.

Can think of one playing for Hawks in a bloody GF :p
That probably goes for a number of players at the WAFL, SANFL, VFL levels, Callinan was a classic case in point.

Where's your avatar!!!
Yours is next, they're coming for you. :p

The other 7 presidents' besides the 2 being aligned, will not accept it. Too many bad memories from the halcyon days of the South Freo, Claremont and EP alignments. ;)

Yep, their success has essentially shot down the argument being put forward, IMO.[/quote]

i think that arguement is really oversimplifying the situation. By same arguement then, one could argue why we need all these extra coaches? afterall we were successfull without them.

The fact that players come into collingwoods and hawks' team from reserves and know how team plays means impact instant. if we get a young player in, takes them 6 games to actually learn whats going on and have impact.

For AFL clubs.
On any given match day it's not so important.
Disagree. A large part of the game is mental. Character plays a big part. I know it's not the same part of his character that many allegedly question but he hardly has a good reputation on field.

Additionally, character is also important for preparation where his alleged issues do become relevant. The quality of your preparation has a huge bearing on your match day performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. A large part of the game is mental. Character plays a big part. I know it's not the same part of his character that many allegedly question but he hardly has a good reputation on field.

Additionally, character is also important for preparation where his alleged issues do become relevant. The quality of your preparation has a huge bearing on your match day performance.
I don't know, I thought the beer drinking and ciggie smoking was a good look! :D

Off field application was the issue, it's mentally demanding in that sense.

Funny because we got another star citizen in Carter.

Off field application was the issue, it's mentally demanding in that sense.
Yes but off field application impacts on field performance and thus should be a consideration when it comes to judging a player's talent and rating. It seems Dayle has the physical talent but not the mental talent.

What are we arguing here?

Yes but off field application impacts on field performance and thus should be a consideration when it comes to judging a player's talent and rating. It seems Dayle has the physical talent but not the mental talent.

What are we arguing here?

Perhaps the use of the word talent in relation to Garletts development issues.

I'd say there'd be a fair bit of Troy Johnson (Freo pick in 1997) type worry with Dayle. Being an AFL player multiplies the distractions and trouble potential. I'm guessing his interviews would have gone poorly too. He'll have to do it the hard way now and prove he wants it.

There's a blast from the past, Troy Johnson

Was on Brisbane's list, came back to South and kicked a vital goal in the 1997 premiership before being delisted before the start of the next season due to him being charged with burglary. From memory was told not to come back to South's either as he was caught stealing from team mates bags whilst they were playing games.

Yeah, maybe I'm being a tad harsh on Garlett, but it's a fair mesage when a top 10 talent doesn't even get a look in.

Perhaps the use of the word talent in relation to Garletts development issues.
Well my initial post only mentioned his rating by recruiters. I think it's a given that off-field conduct is taken into consideration when rating a player for drafting.

The semantics over what constitutes talent is irrelevant and is only being debated as a result of misinterpretation of my initial post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back