2012 here we go

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Kalkee have re-signed triple premiership player Tim Ladlow. Returning to the club from Geelong?

Very interesting.

I see a cleareance went through for William Smith from AFL Central Australia for E/A.

He a former local who has kicked over 100 goals in a season the KNTFL when e/a was last a flag chance in 2001 when he was only 19. Has won a flag in Alice Springs since then but unsure when he to commence playing. Could be another string in the bow for Cassidy.

Very interesting.

I see a cleareance went through for William Smith from AFL Central Australia for E/A.

He a former local who has kicked over 100 goals in a season the KNTFL when e/a was last a flag chance in 2001 when he was only 19. Has won a flag in Alice Springs since then but unsure when he to commence playing. Could be another string in the bow for Cassidy.

Here come the men in black?

What's gonna happen this weekend?

Kalkee to defeat Swifts by 15 points.
EA to defeat DHML by 120 points.
Laharum to defeat T/Lake by 60 points.
Rup to defeat NQ by 50 points.
Pimpinio to defeat Nati by 30 points.

Gone a bit quiet on here again. I reckon the current top five teams will be the top five at the end of the year, although the order of the middle three (Kalkee, Laharum, Rup) could change. The matches have been very one sided over the last two weeks. This week should provide some interest though with Laharum and Rupanyup vying for a spot in the top three, could go either way. Even Pimpinio is a big chance of another win this week given Harrow Balmoral's recent poor form. In the other matches, Kalkee, Swifts and EA should have easy wins.

What is happening at Harrow? They beat Swifts first time round didn't they? They kicked 4 goals for the day between the ressies and seniors. I see names like Matt Ward and Gareth Eagan kicking goals or gettinf in the best for reserves over the last couple of weeks. Surely if they can actually play, they are good enough for the seniors at Harrow aren't they?

What is happening at Harrow? They beat Swifts first time round didn't they? They kicked 4 goals for the day between the ressies and seniors. I see names like Matt Ward and Gareth Eagan kicking goals or gettinf in the best for reserves over the last couple of weeks. Surely if they can actually play, they are good enough for the seniors at Harrow aren't they?
Not sure what is happening with DHML/Balmoral. Ward actually played in the ruck in the magoos against Kalkee with a serious injury to one hand! Probably should not be playing at all with such injury but like many clubs just cant find the players. Eagan: I'm even less sure, has he been training? I think he played in the seconds in round one also. They have many injuries, some of which are long term. Would not expect them to play finals this year, have a very poor percentage now. What are peoples thoughts on how Tim Crick has gone so far this year? Probably the most consistent player for DHML in the matches I have seen so far this year.

Not sure what is happening with DHML/Balmoral. Ward actually played in the ruck in the magoos against Kalkee with a serious injury to one hand! Probably should not be playing at all with such injury but like many clubs just cant find the players. Eagan: I'm even less sure, has he been training? I think he played in the seconds in round one also. They have many injuries, some of which are long term. Would not expect them to play finals this year, have a very poor percentage now. What are peoples thoughts on how Tim Crick has gone so far this year? Probably the most consistent player for DHML in the matches I have seen so far this year.

Personally glad to see Haw/Bal bottom out. And cant wait to see it happen at Kalkee because every side needs there dark days to appreciate the glory ones! Especially school kids cos thats where most of the bragging goes on so its great to see Rup, Laharum, Swifts and E/A up there after some leaner years in the past!

Cheating is a strong word, but it is not a "sporting" way to go about it. But they have history of this, not sure they are the only club to have done it though!
We all know what im talking about here! There should be tougher regulations on letting senior players 'drop' back to reserves for the second half of the year to win a reserves final. Not saw what you would do but something should be done. Its a scurge on all country footy finals, that a side can finish 5th in the 2's then somehow win the flag!

We all know what im talking about here! There should be tougher regulations on letting senior players 'drop' back to reserves for the second half of the year to win a reserves final. Not saw what you would do but something should be done. Its a scurge on all country footy finals, that a side can finish 5th in the 2's then somehow win the flag!
The new rule, commonly known as the 'Tim Webb Rule' was brought in so that now a player must have played in at least three reserves games in the home and away and no more than six (or seven - can't quite recall) seniors games to be eligable to play reserves finals matches. Unless of course a club has both reserves and seniors playing finals on the same weekend, then they can pick any two teams, but a player can't play in both 1st's and 2nd's in the same weekend in finals. I guess this still does not stop clubs that no longer have any chance of making the seniors finals keeping players back in the reserves later in the season so as to ensure that they do not 'bust' by playing too many seniors games. If clubs follow the rules then they are not cheating are they?

The new rule, commonly known as the 'Tim Webb Rule' was brought in so that now a player must have played in at least three reserves games in the home and away and no more than six (or seven - can't quite recall) seniors games to be eligable to play reserves finals matches. Unless of course a club has both reserves and seniors playing finals on the same weekend, then they can pick any two teams, but a player can't play in both 1st's and 2nd's in the same weekend in finals. I guess this still does not stop clubs that no longer have any chance of making the seniors finals keeping players back in the reserves later in the season so as to ensure that they do not 'bust' by playing too many seniors games. If clubs follow the rules then they are not cheating are they?

That is my point... in my eyes that's cheating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edenhope defeated... Rup, Kalkee draw its wide open!
Yes the finals series will be wide open. I think the the final five will be as it is now at the end of the season but we still have a ripper three rounds remaining. Swifts play the top three teams in the remaining three rounds, while the top two meet this week at Edenhope. Rup have now played each of the other top five teams twice, so should win the rest of their matches. Grand Finals berths could go to any of the top five but I would still have Edenhope Apsley as favourites.

Proposed finals venues are as follows subject to the grounds being in acceptable condition.
Qualifying Final - Harrow.
Elimination Final - Laharum.
2nd Semi Final - North Park Stawell.
1st Semi Final - Pimpinio.
Preliminary Final - Natimuk.
Grand Final - City Oval.

Well, what an interseting end to the season we are having in the HDFL. Edenhope Apsley had been the inform team all year and outright favourites, now they have lost two matches in three weeks. Swifts can beat EA, EA can beat Kalkee, Kalkee can beat Rup, Rup can beat Laharum, Laharum can beat Swifts! It's anyones at this stage. Similar to last year, any of the top five teams on their day can beat any other side in the top five. It's going to make for a very interesting finals series. Anyone willing to post a last minute prediction??

With one game to go, what are your predictions on the following:

Seniors Premiers:
Seniors Runners Up:
Reserves Premiers:
Reserves Runner Up:
Under 17's Premiers:
Under 14's Premiers:
Seniors Best & Fairest:
Best Under 21 Player:
Reserves Best & Fairest:

Interesting times in the coaching world at the moment in both leagues. I notice that in the last couple of days Stawell and Laharum have both re-appointed their coaches while there is a changing of the guard at Edenhope-Apsley and several Wimmera League clubs. This seems to me to be a fairly high turnover rate; higher than normal anyway. And I don't think it will be the last of it with more expected to follow in the coming few weeks. Are these coaches being pushed, being burnt out or is this simply a sign of the times?

Well, what an interseting end to the season we are having in the HDFL. Edenhope Apsley had been the inform team all year and outright favourites, now they have lost two matches in three weeks. Swifts can beat EA, EA can beat Kalkee, Kalkee can beat Rup, Rup can beat Laharum, Laharum can beat Swifts! It's anyones at this stage. Similar to last year, any of the top five teams on their day can beat any other side in the top five. It's going to make for a very interesting finals series. Anyone willing to post a last minute prediction??

E/A had a very depleted side out on the park against Swifts on Saturday and were only just beaten. Still believe they are the team to beat, but they are just crying out for the week off the get some injuries to key players right. Still beleive Laharum are the man danger and the Argall will win the Dellar Medal!

Interesting times in the coaching world at the moment in both leagues. I notice that in the last couple of days Stawell and Laharum have both re-appointed their coaches while there is a changing of the guard at Edenhope-Apsley and several Wimmera League clubs. This seems to me to be a fairly high turnover rate; higher than normal anyway. And I don't think it will be the last of it with more expected to follow in the coming few weeks. Are these coaches being pushed, being burnt out or is this simply a sign of the times?
What is the changing of the guard at E/A and several Wimmera League club??? Can you please elaborate??? Is Cobber out the door at E/A??

What is the changing of the guard at E/A and several Wimmera League club??? Can you please elaborate??? Is Cobber out the door at E/A??

Yes, this news has been circulating the Wimmera for a couple of weeks now and was made public in the Mail-Times on Monday:
http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/203434/cassidy-steps-down-from-edenhope-apsley/?cs=226

It follows Natimuk looking for a coach:
http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/160840/natimuk-football-club-searches-for-new-coach/?cs=226

And Wimmera sides Dimboola, Warrack Eagles, Ararat and Stawell Warriors (all mentioned in this article):
http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/160796/schultz-brothers-to-step-down-as-eagles-coaches/?cs=226

Good on them for making their intentions known to the clubs and supporters early so they can begin the hunt for replacements. I'm not questioning the work ethic of any of the coaches; we've all got lives away from footy. I just thought it was an intersting discussion point about the coaching lifestyle given that there appears to be an unusually high number stepping down.

With one game to go, what are your predictions on the following:
Well I will put my one eye to this!

Seniors Premiers: Kalkee
Seniors Runners Up: Swifts
Reserves Premiers: Edenhope Apsley
Reserves Runner Up: Rupanyup
Under 17's Premiers: Laharum
Under 14's Premiers: NQ
Seniors Best & Fairest: Argall
Best Under 21 Player: Don't know. How old are Stevenson, Purcell and Whitehead???
Reserves Best & Fairest: Turner

Anyone interested in this league?
Edenhope are still the favourites but would be pretty worried about facing the winner of the qual final whether it be the Kees or the Mountain Men. Kalkee are very experienced in finals and after seeing last years effort can never be written off. While Laharum had the edge over EA last time they met. The match on Saturday should be a ripper and my tip is the winner of this match will go on to become premiers. Swifts if they have a full side available should account for Rup.

On another note I had heard a whisper that Pimpinio have gone back to Gary Davidson as coach for 2013.

My tips for the first weekend of the finals:

Kalkee to defeat Laharum by 20 point.
Swifts to defeat Rupanyup by 5 points.

Anyone interested in this league?
Edenhope are still the favourites but would be pretty worried about facing the winner of the qual final whether it be the Kees or the Mountain Men. Kalkee are very experienced in finals and after seeing last years effort can never be written off. While Laharum had the edge over EA last time they met. The match on Saturday should be a ripper and my tip is the winner of this match will go on to become premiers. Swifts if they have a full side available should account for Rup.

On another note I had heard a whisper that Pimpinio have gone back to Gary Davidson as coach for 2013.

My tips for the first weekend of the finals:

Kalkee to defeat Laharum by 20 point.
Swifts to defeat Rupanyup by 5 points.

I know I'm interested in it still! Don't know how many others out there are. Seems that everyone else is enjoying the slinging match happening over on the WFL forum! I think you're right in that the winner of the qualifying final will go on to win the flag and I believe that Kalkee will just have the edge over Laharum. But as they say, anything can happen in finals.

Interesting about Gary Davidson returning to Pimp. I honestly wouldn't think there'd be much incentive for him to go back there. I think we all know Gary likes a challenge and likes to build his own culture, but I'm not sure that Pimp are ready for that. In the games I've seen Pimp play this year, they have been undisciplined; bordering on thug-like at times. Davidson won't stand for any of that so I'm not sure that his impact will be heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back