2012 HFNL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

HampdenMAD

All Australian
Feb 10, 2012
Warrnambool
AFL Club
Geelong
Here we are! This weekend is Round 1 and I must admit I'm very excited!!

Who will be the improvers the disappointments and the surprise packets of 2012!!!

Let's gets some tips happening!!

Premiers - Wooden Spooners - Maskell Medal - Leading Goal Kicker etc.

It's all only opinions and everyone has one!

2 rounds down.....what we know...

1. Koroit is the current clubhouse leader, their leaders are standing up and the best players all in form!! Joe McLaren hasnt missed a beat, kicking goals and winning games! Goodall, Dobsons and McLarens. Karl Dwyer is far from done with his footy also! Experience matters!

2. The ladder could be different 18 times this season. All teams except Port Fairy only need to be 5% off their best footy and they will lose. Warrnambool beat South but lost to Koroit. South lost to Wbool and beat North. North have lost to Camperdown and South by less than a kick. Camperdown have won 2 against North and Terang/Mortlake. Cobden have won 2 against Ter/Mort and Port Fairy. Koroit have won 2 against Port and W'bool.
The ladder stands at: Koroit 8, Cob 8, Camp 8, Wbool 4, South 4, North 0, Ter/Mort 0, Port 0.

3. There could be a good old fashioned shoot out for leading goal kicker this year!! Jason Rowan (Wbool) and David Haynes (North Wbool) both on 12 goals after hauls of 8 and 7 respectively. Both powerful marks and kicks. I would love to tip Haynes to boot the Eagles into the top 3 and finish with 80 - 100 goals, but...im gonna go with Rowan to hit the kick upwards of 90 with very big hauls against the likes of Port Fairy (play 3 times), Ter/Mort and Cobden.

4. The tip for biggest improver of the year was a firm North Warrnambool vote, and they are there abouts, two losses by less than a goal, littered with horrible conversion and high turnover rates. They will click and damage will be done. Camperdown have started well also but i will wait to see how they perform against a south/koroit/wbool.

5. The Warrnambool Standard is a second rate newspaper who continually get it wrong in their sports articles. Wrong names on captions, wrong statements of game events, ill-informed statistics and comments. Talk to more people and for gods sake take a stand and have some opinionative pieces!!!!!!!

6. Port Fairy.....no good. Please please please follow the lead set by North Warrnambools example of playing as many kids as possible to keep that club alive. Dont spend huge money on fly ins anymore!! BUILD A CULTURE!!!!!!!! IT WORKS!

7. The biggest thing we know is WE LOVE FOOTY BEING BACK!!!!

If you enjoy reading the updates leave me some feedback and i will continue to write on here and give opinions. Dont be afraid to put me back in my box or to add to the convo! Cheers - HampdenMAD

Tips for this weekend:

Warrnambool v Terang/Mortlake
Im tipping Warrnambool to win this one, Ter/Mort will hit their straps soon tho and on the wide open spaces of The Reid Oval maybe that will be a help they need. Warrnambool by 45 points

Cobden v South Warrnambool
This one could be a cracker! Cobden under lights can be hard to beat, with Levi Dare back on board alongside brother and ex AFL player Joe Dare im gonna go for the upset and tip Cobden by less than a goal!!

Camperdown v Port Fairy
Camperdown will go 3 and 0 with a win over Port Fairy this weekend. Sit alone or equal top of the ladder and be extremely happy with their start to the season. But.....the big sides await the next few weeks...
Camperdown by 80 points

Koroit v Nth Warrnambool
Its on Sunday at Koroit, good one to go watch. Will be hard and tough, and some side interest with Dean Gavin and Joel Nestor playing against the side they won a HFNL Premiership with. Im guessing it will be firery and no doubt a melee or two will break out. Im gonna say Koroit will be too good based on winning form, but....Eagles have only lost by a kick in last 2 games, they are hungry for that win to kick start the season.
Koroit by a goal.

Round 4 is ready and raring!

Port Fairy v Warrnambool -
Not to much to report here but another smashing of the rebuilding Port Fairy, look for Jason Rowan to slot a good 8 - 12 goals!
Wbool by 120 points

Terang/Mort v Koroit -
Koroit continued their unbeaten streak last week against North Warrnambool Eagles in a hard tough match. Whilst Ter/Mort showed some good ticker against Warrnambool last week before fading in the last qtr. Should be a Koroit win by 50 points

North Warrnambool v Cobden
The Eagles have yet to register a win with losses of 5,5 and 12 points. After watching them on Sunday they are def able to match the best. David Haynes lit up the park with 10 Goals 1. Good luck Cobden....
North Warrnambool by 30 points

South Warrnambool v Camperdown
Camperdown also unbeaten still are travelling very well but here is their competition....win this and be regarded a top 3 threat, lose and be in the middle of the pack still.
South Warrnambool by 25 points

Good luck all sides!! Sorry for the swift run down, better one next week!!

HFNL Round 5!!

First I wanna say that the league this year is as wide open as it ever has been!! Terang/Mortlake knocking over Koroit last week was one no one expected and thats sensational!! We love an unexpected win!!
A lot had also tipped Cobden to beat North Warrnambool but the Eagles come thru that one shining!! Jason Rowan as i said kicked an almighty bag against Port Fairy kicking 14 goals 6 behinds...although i really wonder the usefulness of an effort like that, maybe play someone else in that position after he had kicked 10....just in case of a Rowan injury in games to come...ya never know...

This week we see

South Warrnambool v Port Fairy

Port Fairy just need to keep improving from here on in, we all know they arent going to win a game but just to close the gap each week will be good enough. South Warrnambool lose their Coach Matthew Peake after copping a 2 week ban for striking, and lucky not to be more by all accounts....Jarrad Thompson and James Hussey are playing really solid footy and are leading the way at South, Kim Eagleson has stepped up to senior footy well and will only get better.
South by 100 points

Terang/Mortlake v North Warrnambool Eagles

This game is being played at Mortlake which in my opinion helps the Eagles. They have in the past been winners more often on bigger grounds. Even with Ter/Mort beating Koroit last week they come into this game underdogs. With whispers of Zac Pickett and Pat Heffernan maybe missing this week and a confirmation of JT (the young NT recruit) out due to NT Cup duties it will be tough for them. Damian O'Connor, Joel Moloney and Jason Moloney are the key to this side, be sure to see the Eagles stem the effects of these 3 players. Haynes will have his side up and about after last weeks win over Cobden. Jordan Dillon has been very impressive for the Eagles and has filled their ruck stocks beautifully, look for a big impact.
North by 30 points

Warrnambool v Camperdown

W'bool come off a huge win over Port, C'down come off a loss to South. Camperdown had the chance to confirm themselves as challengers last week but fell well short. Sam Chapman and Luke Mahoney are the key players at this club, players you can build a great side around and im sure they will be very competitive this weekend, but up against the Jason Rowan juggernaut and with Angus Chirnside, Sam Cowling, Dustin MCCorkell and Andrew McCarthy all playing great footy i just dont think C'down have the artillery to match.
Warrnambool by 45 points

Cobden v Koroit

Cobden are doing very well considering the players lost over the off season, their good footy matches with anyone but the drop off can hurt them. Paul Hinkley needs some better feed from the midfield, Horan is returning from injury and form will come but quiet at moment, Paul Foster i think will not play this week, has a hamstring injury restricting him to the forward line last week. Youn Sam Uwland is a great up and comer and a real livewire! Been in Cobdens best every week by memory. Koroit tho will be very disappointed to lose last week and will bounce back here, Ben Goodall is looking good for a Maskell Medal at this stage, Sam Dobson is one man wrecking ball up forward and i think they will win easily.
Koroit by 50 points.

Good luck to all and i hope im wrong in some areas and spot on in others haha

This weeks footy:

Port Fairy v Terang Mortlake

After a 96 point hiding at the hands of up and comers North Warrnambool Eagles, Terang Mortlake have swung the axe and made 5 changes!! But add to that Port Fairy's 6 changes and we have two teams far from settled and very vunerable. I think Ter/Mort will pull it together today and have a comfortable win.
Ter/Mort by 45 points

Camperdown v Cobden

Should be a great game to check out! Rivalry games are always tough and today wont be any different. James Gellie returns to the Pies line up after leading Cobden last 2 years. Cheeseman was the player omitted. Cobden have been good and will want to win this one!! Losing Brad Couch is disappointing but the hunger will get them the win today!
Cobden by 1 goal

Koroit v Sth Warrn

Andrew Foster out of a 5 game retirement is back on the ground for Koroit who will be in somewhat of a panic after dropping last 2 games, and i dont think the news will be any better for them this week. Sth Warrn are up and about and i think will win this one.
Sth Warrn by 35 points

Warrnambool v Nth Warrnambool

This game is on Super Sunday at the Reid Oval in conjuction with the WDFNL and the Walter oval. The curtain raiser is the 12pm WDFNL game South Rovers v Old Collegians and following that HFNL W'bool v Nth W'bool.
The NW Eagles had a huge win last week against Ter/Mort and have found the form most have expected they had hiding somewhere. David Haynes (coach) and full forward has been kicking plenty of goals, but its the boys around him in Jeremy Parkinson, Jarryd Lewis, Mathew Buck and Matthew Wines all chipping in with solid goals each game that have this team in form. The backline is very solid also. Wbool also have had Jason Rowan serving them well up forward but the curse of injuries has hurt Wbool in recent weeks, word is Sam Cowling wont play tomorrow and that will hurt them in the backline. Look for tags on Matthew Wines(NW) and Tim Hunt (W) who have been in top midfielders this year.
Close game this one:
North Warrnambool by 2 goals

Hows big Stauto going at Terang/Mortlake? Would have loved to have him here for one more year at Charlton!

Yeah "Stauto" has played 4 games so far, kicked 4 goals and was in the best players Round 1 against Cobden, had an injury happen during round 2 with a groin complaint. Missed a couple of weeks before coming back against North Warrnambool who beat them by 96 points, but he presented well and was one of their better players. Last week played Port Fairy and was well looked after to keep him right by sounds of it. So all in all quiet start but will no doubt have impact next part of season. Huge unit! Loves a big lead out grab!

Its been a good break from footy but its back this weekend and some important games with the competition so close this year!

Cobden 5th v Warrnambool 2nd.
Cobden are sitting 5th with 3-3. They will be looking to consolidate this position with an upset win over Warrnambool who are 2nd 4-2. Cobden regain services of midfielder Leigh Evans who returns from injury where as Warrnambool lose the services of midfielder Dustin McCorkell through injury sustained at Interleague on the weekend. Cobden has put up some mixed efforts and could really prove themselves with a big win here.
Warrnambool by 5 goals

South Warrnambool 3rd v Terang/Mortlake 7th
South are on 4-2 and Ter/Mort are 2-4 with mixed performances. Terang have the ability on any day to take down anyone but it takes a 4qtr effort and all of the youngsters to play well. South on the other hand are fairly consistent with form but are vunerable equally as much as the next team. I think South will win this one but wouldnt be surprised to see them drop one here to Terang. Souths structures and game plan look very solid!! I like the way they are playing, credit to years of good coaching.
South by 6 goals.

Koroit 4th v Camperdown 1st
And here we are, in my opinion this is match of the round!! Both teams have a couple of quality players out with serious injury, the latest is prolific ball winner Luke Mahony who requires a knee reco! Shocking news for him and Camperdown. Coach of Koroit Chris McLaren is also missing with serious knee injury. To look at these sides on paper u would pick Koroit by 10 goals, but....Camperdown have the runs on the board so far this season. Im needing to redeem myself with my tips and my head says Koroit at home, but my gut is telling me Camperdown. Koroit has some big players in good form so...
Koroit by 4 goals

North Warrnambool 6th v Port Fairy 8th
Well i have no doubt this will be a NW win, but i have issues with them after watching them last weekend at Warrnambool. Its the strongest NW team to play HFNL and they are under performing. Haynes is a goalkicker but when it becomes as one dimensional as it did last weekend he has no chance of kicking goals. It was a selfish display from the NW Coach, he demanded every kick to come to him. After half time things needed to change and they didnt. Warrnambool rubbed their hands together and slaughtered them. This week NW need to go out there and open up that forward line to many goalkickers, have some run and carry and show Port Fairy what a top 3 side actually looks like. There is a whisper Haynes wont play this week to rest his ankles that have given him trouble this year so far. Eagles you need to lift.
NW by 100 points.

The interesting part of this weekends action is a win to South Warrnambool, Warrnambool and Koroit knocking over Camperdown will result in a 4 way tie at the top of the table. All sides will share 5 wins and 2 losses. If Eagles win they will be equal 5th with Cobden on 3 wins 4 losses. Then Terang and Port Fairy bringing up the rear. But as we have seen so far things are not so predictable....

Good Luck all!!

ROUND 8 HFNL 2012

Last weeks tips werent to bad!! Im back! Going for 4 correct tips this week!!

Warrnambool Blues v South Warrnambool Roosters
The big local derby!! Not only is the game on the line but so is braggin rights for the fans! The crowd can get somewhat vocal and agitated!! Hopefully the Blues supporters get out from behind the big glass windows!!
Both sides had good wins last week, but for South it was at a cost! Jarrad Thompson sustained facial fractures and is looking at 6 - 10 weeks on the sidelines! Huge loss for this young side at this time of year, they are travelling well but dont want to go dropping games they shouldnt. Zacc Struth handy addition from VFL for the week but will take a big effort to knock over Wbool.
Wbool by 6 goals

Port Fairy v Koroit
Port Fairy hosting Koroit here and Port put in a decent 3 qtrs against Nth Wbool before being blown away 10 goals to 1 in the last. They were hard at it early and showed some improvement and thats all we ask! Koroit were beaten easily by Camperdown last week and will be looking forward to this one to run some form into a few blokes! Koroit will win easily
Koroit by 135 points

Terang Mortlake v Cobden
Both teams are in a canter at the moment, both sides desperately need this win to stay in touch!! Cobden pick up some VFL strength in Semmens and Terang have named Nathan Couch back in the side. I think Cobden have the much better side on paper and will win this.
Cobden by 2 goals

North Warrnambool v Camperdown
Huge game for North, not so much for Camperdown. If North can overcome the Pies here it will crack this comp wide open! If Camperdown win they firm as favourites at the midway mark.
North have named a very strong side this week, Marcus Darmody returns from VFL club Nth Ballarat Roosters and is a super player. They have named Rebels player Tom Smith Jnr, Coach David Haynes, recruit Jarryd Lewis and young gun Aiden Long. Camperdown have named young gun Sam Gordon who has been kicking goals in TAC cup. This will be won in the midfield, tags on Sam Chapman and Matthew Wines are likely. Upset of the round.......
North Warrnambool by 4 goals

Good luck all players and coaches!!!
HAMPDENMAD!!!!!!!!

Sorry for updates of late! Been on a holiday!

This weeks action has a couple of important games!
The first being Cobden v Nth Warrnambool Eagles
The eagles have been unlucky but disappointing at the same time, hopefully for their sakes they have fixed the kinks in the game plan and will come out today and put away a struggling Cobden. With Michael Darmody back for the Eagles and Joe Dare out for the Bombers I will tip the Eagles by 45 points
Cobden need this win to keep in touch with top 5 and eagles to stay in touch with top 3

Wbool v Port Fairy
Well this will be ugly. Rowan will be looking to stretch his lead in the goal kicking award no doubt. Could be a Fevola like haul to come. Wbool by 100.

Camperdown v Sth Warrnambool
Huge game for Sth! If they were to win today it would be a huge confidence booster and also set them well for finals. They have been up and down because of youth and injury but wet weather may bring todays game a bit closer. Camperdown will look to continue their surprising run of wins and strike another blow today.

Koroit v Terang/Mortlake
This should be another cracker! Koroit on paper are a top 2 side but at times play like a bottom 3 side. If Terang can produce its form that seen them beat Wbool and Camperdown then they can of course win. It would be a huge win! And have them pushing for the 5!

Good luck all

Sorry for updates of late! Been on a holiday!

This weeks action has a couple of important games!
The first being Cobden v Nth Warrnambool Eagles
The eagles have been unlucky but disappointing at the same time, hopefully for their sakes they have fixed the kinks in the game plan and will come out today and put away a struggling Cobden. With Michael Darmody back for the Eagles and Joe Dare out for the Bombers I will tip the Eagles by 45 points
Cobden need this win to keep in touch with top 5 and eagles to stay in touch with top 3

Wbool v Port Fairy
Well this will be ugly. Rowan will be looking to stretch his lead in the goal kicking award no doubt. Could be a Fevola like haul to come. Wbool by 100.

Camperdown v Sth Warrnambool
Huge game for Sth! If they were to win today it would be a huge confidence booster and also set them well for finals. They have been up and down because of youth and injury but wet weather may bring todays game a bit closer. Camperdown will look to continue their surprising run of wins and strike another blow today.

Koroit v Terang/Mortlake
This should be another cracker! Koroit on paper are a top 2 side but at times play like a bottom 3 side. If Terang can produce its form that seen them beat Wbool and Camperdown then they can of course win. It would be a huge win! And have them pushing for the 5!

Good luck all

is it true that rowan was well held by a young port defender but still managed 8 due to weight of supply?
have been hearing great things about the young curly haired port defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gday everyone,

I have been following this league this season as my sister in law lives in Warrnambool. I must say that I like the look of North Warrnambools ground but can you guys give me a run down of the 3 Warrnambool clubs and tell me the positives and negatives of each club?

Thanks.

Gday everyone,

I have been following this league this season as my sister in law lives in Warrnambool. I must say that I like the look of North Warrnambools ground but can you guys give me a run down of the 3 Warrnambool clubs and tell me the positives and negatives of each club?

Thanks.

An impartial view.

Warrnambool - The power club of the comp - most flags - best ground Reid Oval (although the surface is in bad need of an upgrade) - Most financial - certainly in days gone by. Won 4 flags in a row 86-89 under Grant Thomas which were its glory years. Probably lost that aura in recent years.

South - The workingmans club - great junior system - shocking ground - great camaraderie amongst players and supporters. Very successful in recent times

Noth - Relative new comers - played finals last year for the first time ever - average to ordinary ground - good club that will get better in years to come - Developing.

Gday everyone,

Thanks.

I couldnt agree more with Western royboy! Only thing i could add is that North Warrnambool has a brilliant family atmosphere, a young club with young demographic. A big emphasis on enjoying ya footy and netball.

Warrnambool has best facilities and most likely to end up with a ground that will have a major upgrade in the near future. Whisper has it they need another Hampden league club to take over the spot occupied by WDFNL club East Warrnambool Bombers to attract a higher funding level. Word has it North Warrnambool have been offered this spot but are yet to respond. East have been told they are not wanted there.

South has a major focus on junior footy, but tends to be a win at all costs mentality. attracts some of the best juniors in the district every year. A well run club at the top but yeah the ground is a disgrace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back