Injury 2012 Injury Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
Well I'm sorry folks but we now require one of these

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128832/default.aspx

Matt Spanghar tore his hammy in the intra club hit out out and is looking at a four to six week lay off.

This report also implies that Tony Armstrong is still working on his quad injury. Does anyone know if he participated yesterday?

Neil Cordy's tweets also inform Tom Mitchell is still recovering fron knee surgery and will be unavailable for the NAB cup so wont expect to see him in the early rounds than.

Re: pre season injury list and reports

Bad luck for Spangher. Would have been right in contention for a spot in the forward line.

Armstrong (almost certain he didn't play yesterday) and Mitchell will need to really impress in the 2's to start the year then it seems to win a spot in the 1's.

I like that Longmire seemingly mentioned specifically Lamb, Lockyer, Gordon and Walsh as potential members of the 22. Would be very excited to see Walsh and Lamb in particular.

Lockyer already in contention for a spot in 22?

He must be doing all the right things.

Theres a bit on Mitchell, Armstrong and Lockyer here.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ush-tom-mitchell/story-e6frg7mf-1226269134785

Sydney's second national draft selection, Jordan Lockyer, a teenage son of former West Coast key-position player Andrew Lockyer, is a chance to play in the NAB Cup and put forward his credentials as a replacement in defence for retired premiership player Tadhg Kennelly.

"We've been really pleased with him and, with Tony Armstrong injured, he may get an opportunity earlier than expected," Longmire said.

As speedy forward Lewis Jetta is set to be moved up the ground this year, possibly to a wing,

Jetta has been played predominantly off the wing, only towards the end of last year did he spend time in the forward line.

Also being groomed for a different role in his second year at the club is Andrejs Everitt, who could play more in midfield.
Failed as a defender, limited success as a forward, might as well try the midfield. He was okay for the Dogs as a 2nd ruckmen but I doubt he will be used in this role for us.

Lewis Roberts-Thomson will play some part in the NAB Cup after overcoming a hamstring injury not related to the serious hamstring problems that have limited his past two seasons to just 29 of a possible 48 games.

"He played a different role when he came back last year, as a ruckman-forward, but I believe his best position is as a key defender," Longmire said.
Clarification of LRT's position within the team but it still doesn't solve the puzzle of how to fit Ted, Reg, AJ and LRT into the one defensive unit.

Very interesting article.

Glad to hear LRT is viewed as a key defender by Horse. Definitely his best position. Can't wait to see how the defence is structured.

Everitt I always thought had most value as a high half forward/wingman. I doubt he will find a 1's spot without injuries hitting though.

Sounds Lockyer is very capable of doing what AJ did last year and taking up a spot in defence.

I am also glad Horse sees LRT as a defender. That frees Pykie up to come in and play 2nd ruck and rest Forward.

Interesting that Everitt is being moved into the midfield, he's fallen behind our forwards in terms of development, with such a young forward line, opportunity won't open up due to retirements. I don't expect Everitt to last much longer.

No mention of TDL, appears like it'll be a long way back into the team for him.

We've got a hell of alot of depth, but few superstars, that's the problem with our team atm. But we've got alot of promising prospects who could develop into great players.

Interesting times ahead, our team has been driven by our seniors for the most part, our recruits have chipped in (Mummy/Kennedy/McGlynn) but until now our draftees have largely been playing peripheral roles. I'd like to see some of the young guys really step up. Hanners & Johnson have taken their chances, a few others could follow suit over the next couple of years. Just goes to show how successful Roos' strategy of recruiting ready-made players. That's why we've remained competitive over the last decade. We've managed to fill holes in the team without gambling on players who may not make it at AFL level.

I've always wondered whether we've limited the opportunities of our draftees as a result, but the fact that few of our discards find other opportunities seems to suggest that's not the case.

Not to put words in bedford's mouth, but I think he means that the club believes bottoming-out and blooding new draftees thick and fast (as Roos was hesitant to do when he was in charge) would cause more losses than wins which would drive away the fair-weathered Sydney fans.

A fair point too, might I add (if indeed that's what bedford means). The Swans have a group of fans here in Sydney that will turn up no matter what (probably around 15-17,000 of them) but the rest drop off at the first sight of consistent losses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for clearing that up, no guilty pains from me, during the roos era saw no real need to push to get the kids in if they didn't deserve to be in the team, then we would be like any other melbourne club who give free rides to players that dont deserve to be playing. Considering none of those players who were delisted have done anything with their AFL careers, should validate that decsion not to play them.

As soon as we got some quality young players we have given them a go, bird played in his first year, as did hanners,rohan,jetta,reid etc. Longmire has continued on with it by playing parker and aj in thier first season and going by preseason reports will do that this year with the likes of mitchell and lockyear

I think that we have a nice balance on our list with a even number of young, middle aged (24-27) and experienced players which will keep us in or around the top eight, and if we get substantial improvements from the younger guys might even push for top 4

Grim, Aussie, Syd

I dont think we need new posters trawling through last years 300 post thread to see what they need to know. Bedford was right. Can we move the 2012 posts here for easier continuity.

Also for those who don't know Alex Brown is suffering a hip problem that is threatening to put him on the Long Term Injury List.

Does anyone know what on earth is happening with Tom Mitchell? I have heard that he has a foot injury but i don't know for sure. All i do know is he has been injured all preseason and there doesn't seem to be any sign that he is going to recover any time soon.

What's the latest on Spangher, does anyone know?

Original report said torn hamstring - 4-6 weeks... it must be close to that now. Given how we've gone up forward, he might be a welcome return.

Anyone heard anything?

Use the formula (Original Weeks out) X 4 = (Actual Weeks Out). It's worked the last few years.

So spangher will be out for 16-24 :(

Does anybody know what Jack's injury is? It is listed as "shin" but we were sitting near the bench on Friday night and he seemed to be flexing the knee and limping and then someone said they had put ice on his ankle. I'm hoping it is not a reoccurance of last years ankle.

Does anybody know what Jack's injury is? It is listed as "shin" but we were sitting near the bench on Friday night and he seemed to be flexing the knee and limping and then someone said they had put ice on his ankle. I'm hoping it is not a reoccurance of last years ankle.

The offical stance is shin. At the ground I aqree it looked like drills for a small MCL knock but a shin would be just as likely for the stuff that i saw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back