Mega Thread 2012 List Management - Drafts, Trading & Free Agency (Official/Reported ONLY)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Now hear this:

If you want to talk about rumours, innuendos, crap on Facebook or Twitter or whatever, there is now another thread:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/trade-free-agency-draft-rumours-and-innuendos.973609/

This thread is strictly for reportage from publications such as AFL Media, the Age, the HUN, official club websites and begrudgingly, SEN.

With the national under 18 championships on, it is a perfect opportunity to see what talent is on display for us to potentially add to next year, including out prized young gun (to be) Joe Daniher.

Any ways, to add to our list, we will need to cut our list down and we will need to take a closer look at where our list is at.

With so many players improving out of there skin this year, the pressure for places is on from our mid best 22 players right through to our last rookie.

In a much easier way to discuss this, I am going to go through each position and asses where our options are at.

Here we go;

small defenders (8)
- Marc Baguley (25 years old, 0 games)
- Courtenay Dempsey (24, 64)
- Rick Dyson (26, 111)
- Kyle Hardingham (23, 39)
- Dyson Heppel (20, 33)
- Michael Hibberd (22, 15)
- Michael Ross (21, 2)
- Henry Slattery (26, 95)

One of our questionable areas last season (in my eyes anyways), but the way Hibberd, Hardginham and even Dyson have come on this year has certainly put any doubts I may have had on this position away.

At Bendigo we have the depth that may be able to come straight in and perform to a suitable level. Baguley has simply not played a bad game I have seen, Ross has come back strongly in the past two starts and the fact that Rick Dyson has been pushed out despite playing arguarbly career best football earlier in the season is a testimony to the improvement of the guys holding their places.

Serious question marks will be made about Henry Slattery come years end, despite being stranded on 95 games (father son qualification is 100 games - but we all know that by know, surely?).

Key Position Defenders (4)
- Jake Carlisle (20, 20)
- Dustin Fletcher (51, 600)
- Cale Hooker (23, 58)
- Tayte Pears (22, 54)

An area that we all thought was strong last year all of a sudden has some question marks over it, with the imminent retirement of Dustin Fletcher and the stagnant development of Tayte Pears, through a combination of injury or poor development.

Outside midfielders (8)
- Alex Browne (19, 2)
- Travis Colyer (21, 25)
- Luke Davis (20, 0)
- Lauchlan Dalgleish (19, 0)
- Anthony Long (21, 0)
- Jackson Merret (19, 0)
- Brent Stanton (26, 174)
- Jason Winderlich (27, 98)

Another area that I was concerned about last year, but have seriously come over the hump and turned full circle. Really excited about what we have developing at Bendigo, that can be pushing for senior selection soon. Just need those senior guys to stay fit and healthy to help out the senior team (looking fairly and squarely at you 'Winders').
Be excited about the future ladies and gentlemen.

Inside midfielders (6)
- Heath Hocking (24, 74)
- Hal Hunter (19, 0)
- Brendan Lee (25, 0)
- Sam Lonergan (25, 74)
- Jake Melksham (21, 49)
- Brent Prismal (26, 61)
- Jobe Watson (27, 144)

- One area most people thought was a weakness in the height if the Knights era when we were 'speed, speed and more speed'. Really excited at the prospect of Brent Prismal joining Jobe Watson, Heath Hocking, Ben Howlett in the senior side (although, probably gonna start on a flank!).

Inside/Outside midfielders(4)
- Ben Howlett (23, 50)
- Elliot Kavanagh (19, 0)
- David Myers (23, 40)
- David Zaharakis (22, 66)

Really excited at the prospect of these guys all potentially playing in the same side. Really like the fact that we are getting some continuity in these guys (well, apart from Zaka who's currently injured), the ability of all these guys to hit the scoreboard is something that cannot be under rated. Really excited to see Elliot Kavanagh in the seniors, and guys, having seen his rapid improvement over the course of the season, be excited people, be very excited!

Small forwards(5)
- Alwyn Davey (28, 78)
- Corey Dell Ollio (22, 3)
- Leroy Jetta (24, 73)
- Angus Monfries (25, 144)
- Kyle Reimers (23, 57)

This was one area I was unsure of, having said that, Alwyn Davey is playing out of his skin this year having kicked 22 goals from only 9 games with able support from Leroy Jetta (15 goals, 11 games) and Angus Monfries (12 goals, 12 games).
unsure on where Kyle Reimers sits in the scheme of things, and wheter he is part of our future. I would love to see him pull a Stevie Johnson and completely turn his career around and become an integral part of our line up.

Key Position Forwards (4)
- Stewart Crameri (24, 35)
- Scott Gumbleton (24, 22)
- Michael Hurley (22, 56)
- Nicholas O'Brien (19, 0)

This is another area of concern, despite Crameri and Hurley combining for 38 goals between them, Gumbleton has again struggled to stay on the park, often showing his glimpses, but again being ruined by injury. O'Brien is the big question mark for mine. Can he come in during 2013 and make an impact after showing strong signs before injury earlier in the year.
I would again look to add another tall forward (maybe even on top of Joey Daniher also).

Ruckmen (3)
- Tom Bellchambers (23, 36)
- David Hille (31, 187)
- Patrick Ryder (24, 129)

Our ruckmen are all good and can all come in and play a part. I have included Ryder here as this is his best position and is only being played forward due to structure. Again, I would like to add a development ruckmen, either through the rookie draft or late in the National Draft/Pre Season Draft.

Utilities (3)
- Nathan Lovett-Murray (29, 134)
- Mark Mcveigh (31, 232)
- Ariel Steinberg (20, 0)

Another touchy area, I would look to add a utility type to our stocks, that mr fix it guy who can play anywhere. Perhaps we could throw Myers into this category, but he seems to be an inside/outside midfielder and is there to stay.

That is the way I see our list at the moment. With the mandatory three changes necessary, I dont see to many changes made at the end of the year.

DELIST:
* Scott Gumbleton (re - rookie)
* Henry Slattery
* Ariel Steinberg
* David Hille, Dustin Fletcher, Mark Mcveigh (one of to retire)
--------------------
* Marc Baguley (senior list elsewhere)
* Brendan Lee
* Anthony Long

7 changes in a strong draft, sounds good to me. There is always the possibility of players wanting more opportunities elsewhere (Reimers perhaps).

With our 7 (4 National Draft & 3 Rookie Draft Picks) I would like us to go after
a) Joe Daniher
b) Key Position Forward
c) Medium Utility
d) Small Forward
e) Ruckmen
f) Key Position Defender
g) Forward/Midfielder

There it is guys, I would love to throw out names, but I am not Humble Minion, or ant555, so best to ask those guys on some possible names.

One name I would like to throw up to begin with is Jake Calvert. A 195cm KPF who has come on this year after playing as an overager with the Dandenong Stingrays this year. One player to keep an eye out for certainly.

Would also like people to keep an eye out on another Stingray Jason Pongracic who is a lock and ready to play type who may not have that 'scope' for improvement these recruiters seem to favour. He is simply "that good".

lol

delist gumbleton.........

These are the players out of contract at the end of the year, who would you delist?

Alex Browne, Luke Davis, Alwyn Davey, Courtenay Dempsey, Rick Dyson, Dustin Fletcher, Scott Gumbleton, Michael Hibberd, David Hille, Ben Howlett, Leroy Jetta, Mark Mcveigh, NLM, Angus Monfries, David Myers, Kyle Reimers, Michael Ross, Henry Slattery, Brent Stanton, Ariel Steinberg

(note: I think Reimers would hold some sort of trade currency despite being out of contract, could be of use to upgrade a pick somewhere for us).

McVeigh
Slattery
Dyson (harsh considering his recent form but not best 22)
Steinberg

Fletcher if he wishes to retire
Ditto Hille

Why would you delist Gumby instead of Steinberg? It looks like he's finally conquered the back issues and has proven he can play at AFL level - even if he hasn't dominated, while Steinberg's showed very little.

I'd say Slattery and McVeigh are gone and Reimers and Steinberg are in trouble. Hille may retire making things easier, too.

For the record, I did say I would re rookie Gumbleton and delist Steinberg..
Gumby is a hard one, as so much could happen between now and the end of the year. If he plays some games, he'll be kept. Another back injury he may retire.

Our lack of Key forwards would make it hard to delist, especially the investment that has been put into him.

Yeah, re-rookie Gumby. We're about as likely to delist Jobe and re-rookie him without some other club pouncing. Absolutely zero chance of that happening.

Personally I'd trade Myers for an extra PSD pick.

For the record, I did say I would re rookie Gumbleton and delist Steinberg..

No club is going to throw a 3rd round pick at a former no.2 pick who can run all day and can take a grab? The club has invested so much energy and time into him, so why take the risk?

You delist battlers before even thinking about someone the club sees still as a potential Thoroughbred.

Yeah, re-rookie Gumby. We're about as likely to delist Jobe and re-rookie him without some other club pouncing. Absolutely zero chance of that happening.

Still didnt answer the question Ben!

who would you delist?

This is the first year in quite a while where I'm struggling to think of players I'd choose to delist or trade away come the end of the season. It's quite difficult to predict these things in the middle of the year, but I'll give it a go.

You would think Slattery would be an obvious candidate to be delisted. McVeigh will probably retire at the end of the season, Steinberg may still have some lower-tier currency if the rumors of Gold Coast wanting to draft him back in '10 are accurate. As much as I'd love to keep him just because I believe he has so much to offer, Reimers may be in a little trouble at the end of the year. I'd be completely okay with retaining the latter two players, but we need to ensure that three spots are vacated, and I'm positive we'll look to upgrade a rookie or two which doesn't leave much room on the senior list after we also draft Daniher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys do know that you can strike up a deal where if both parties agree, allows that player straight onto that clubs rookie list.. yeah? right.

By both parties do you mean the other 17 clubs? I think you are referring to the pre-season draft (in the old days).

What Yoda says is correct about downgrading a primary listed player onto the rookie list - Clubs have a tacit understanding not to touch that player, unless they want to place that player on their primary list, and therefore they trade for that player.

Yoda's list of players seems about right - Could be one or two changes - Think that Gumby will not be on the list, unless he plays AFL footy in 2012, and that is no guarantee. And Gumby may want a fresh start.

Your witty sarcasm is always so impressive, I laugh out loud every time I read one of your posts. Keep the comedy coming!

We're third on the ******* ladder and in fairly good nick.

The last place my mind is going to is "Gee, can't wait to delist some of these guys!"

There's still half a season left to play out. That will, as always, inform the list management choices at the end of the year.

a

The last place my mind is going to is "Gee, can't wait to delist some of these guys!"

There's still half a season left to play out. That will, as always, inform the list management choices at the end of the year.

Agreed.

With the core of the best 26 to 28 players all starting to approach a good level of experience it is probably time to go young again. The list needs to have enough different age and experience levels to ensure that the team can continually evolve as players age.

You'd think that all the mature aged guys on the rookie list are in trouble if it is safe to assume that they were given the opportunity as cover for some positions in which we have been suspect.

Given that the depth of the primary list has more than stood up they seem surplus to requirements although I would consider Baguley for Slattery if what everyone keeps saying about Baguley is true and not the usual romanticism associated with assessing the performance of a rookie listed player.

It means that all of Dell'Olio, Lee, Baguley and even Long (given that he seems as cursed as Gumby) will have theirs spots questioned.

Having said that I'd consider that at this stage there are only two certain de-listings as it stands:

1. McVeigh (ret)
2. Slattery (only fell into 1 game due to injury, hasn't otherwise been close to selection)

In general (without considering contract status) it seems that everyone else on the list can still play his way into contention for a spot for 2013. The biggest question marks seem to have formed over Reimers and Steinberg.

3. Steinberg (rookie)
4. Baguley
5. Lee
6. Dell'Olio / Reimers (the only way Dell stays around is if there is a spot - like for like)

If I was to make the decision today, based on what I've read about his performance at Bendigo and what I view to be a lack of a current role in the side, Steinberg would be rookied to make up the minimum 3 de-listings/retirements and none of the rookies would be promoted.

Well it is analysis of the situation.

He wouldn't be close to getting a game based on performance and the very real possibility that there isn't a role for him to play in the senior side.

That he is 6'3, athletic and capable means that he is probably worth persisting with with the aim that he can be turned into a utility (as has been described above).

In any event he seems years away and now is not a good time to be a second year player out of contract with years of development left in you (because of the performance of the rest of the list and the supposed strength of the upcoming draft).

As someone who is relatively new to the forum you must understand that this is an annual thread that HFF loves to produce.

I honestly reckon he typed it up on word before the season started and couldn't wait any longer to post it. It has been a mighty fine effort by him to hold off posting it until the end of June.

But credit where credit is due at least Yoda hasn't derailed a million threads with who he would like to be delisted like in previous years. Kudos to you good sir.

My delistings at this very early stage:

Slattery
McVeigh (retire)
Steinberg

In any event he seems years away and now is not a good time to be a second year player out of contract with years of development left in you (because of the performance of the rest of the list and the supposed strength of the upcoming draft).

Perhaps. Apparently some people have been saying that this draft is fantastic at the top but doesn't bat deep.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were given the chop. Just wondering if there had been rumblings out of the EFC.

As someone who is relatively new to the forum you must understand that this is an annual thread that HFF loves to produce.

I honestly reckon he typed it up on word before the season started and couldn't wait any longer to post it. It has been a mighty fine effort by him to hold off posting it until the end of June.

Ah, but we've been absolutely shithouse around this time of year in the past.

Is the doubt around Steinberg real? Or just something generated on the interwebs by fans?
He's doing OK from what I see. Probably playing better than he was last year, no major injury issues.
Slow burner does not equal dud.
Very much doubt they'll cut him.

Even thinking about a list management perspective. We do not have many talls. If he keeps decent form up for Bendigo as a flanker/pinch-hit tall, he's very much in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back