Review 2012 List Review/What our issues are

Remove this Banner Ad

We won't have too many problems doing that this year one would think.
The wheelbarrow may be out collecting the dead already.
Well you would think as I said, Bower and Thornton are just about done. And you wouldnt want to be in Davies or Whites shoes, 3 years on the list for less than 10 games.....history suggests we are rarely more patient than that. And given we would probably keep Caz which means a promotion from the rookie list that means we would need at least 5 delisted or traded for picks to have 4 live picks in this years ND.

I have no inside info and dont claim any, just my gut feel, we will aim to keep our first rounder, have 2 second round picks (so inference is our own plus one traded in) and at least our third round, and then rookie upgrade with our last pick.

We would drop another rookie, my guess is ROK, that would give us 2 picks in the rookie draft.

And then we would want 1 open slot for the pre season draft or to bring in a free agent.

That means one rookie and 5 current players will go, one way (delisted) or another (traded for picks and or players).

Just my take based on how shallow we have gone (and traded out picks) in the past. Purely a hunch.

I think Cas has only been on for 2 years meaning he has a year left, could be wrong, and Touhy is an international and I dont think the same limits apply. I think Okeefe will be cut from the rookie list and perhaps one more, you need to have a couple of picks in each of the pools.
Levi was picked up in 2009 (the booze cruise episode) and has been on the list for 3 years at the end of this season. Admittedly for about 1.5 seasons he has been injured with knee injuries but we cant get extensions based on injuries. He needs to be promoted this season or released. And from what we have seen in the few games he has had... he is still a bit raw, but has a lot to offer us.

IIRC, international rookies get 3 years (wasnt Setanta on the list for 3 years before he got elevated?) and we might be able to push another year onto him before having to elevate him to the senior list... but I think that where he is at the moment in terms of development, keeping him on the rookie list isnt going to help him any because he has been on the senior list as a nominated rookie for most of the last 2 years now.

O'Keeffe has only been on the rookie list for 1 year now, we can keep him for another year and start giving him more game time next year because from the reports that have been coming from the VFL lists, he seems to have gotten over his injury problems and has been clear this year. And he has shown a fair amount of promise as a forward/mid this year at VFL level. I would leave him there.

If we have to delist players from the rookie list, I would suggest that Heyne, Bray and Carter are ahead of O'Keeffe in terms of being delisted first.

Or we could be Port Adelaide! You pick.

Never so simple as to suggest it is 40yr Blues way or disaster. I know the world has gone digital - bu tthat doesn't mean everything is a binary outcome...

Anyway - I think it is very hard to choose future champions - you see it a the time with kids some are world beaters early and then fade whilst others are totally disfunctional - and then they click - it is a lottery. One thing is for sure though - coaching and development with young players is very very important.

I was flabergasted to watch Levi miss those two goals - he can mark the ball ! - but can't kick from in front? That is a basic skill ...as in really basic...

Have a look at all the young ones tried so far - Bootsma (too small but has ability) Watson tick, McInness tick, Bell tick, very pleasing - can anyone point to a total failure? Don't think so...

#1 outstanding 'find' has been Bell - lets get another Bell sized draft or two - that would be great.

for me that leaves tall forwards as next priority - but we haven't seen anyone except Casboult so far - maybe Mitchell and Rowe are even better - I don't know. I watched Casboult last year a couple of times and thought ( next to SAAD ) he was best on ground for mine - he kicked 5 one day I think.

So - I really don't care much about draft picks - a huge lottery and I wish they would actually make it a lottery. Teh whole 'tanking' for draft picks and priority picks and compensation picks - it is all complicated and BS - I pity the player who gets picked #1 I really do - what a heavy burden of expectations..if tehy do well - they are just doing as expected and what they 'owe' the Club - if they don't = the Club is stupid for picking them ..

Gimme another Bell and Podsiadly thanks - keep your Tom Scully's and Jack Watts etc

All cool BG4L.

Just recall ROK lugging weights around the oval like a plough-horse in the pre-season, whilst all his team-mates were kicking balls and having fun.
Wanted to jump the fence and give him a hand. :)

I also don't think he started in round 1 either but at best guess around rounds 7 or 8.
Not much has gone right for ROK and considering we've shown faith to date on a broken-down, I'd love us to do the same for a fit Rhys.
Yep I remember that too. I've been a big fan of Rhys' from the start and have really felt bad for him. He has continued to work so hard and just when he's back and fit again he seems to have been struck down by another injury.

Rhys played his first game in Round 9 where he played in the development league, then in the seniors in round 10 where he's been since. That has to be nearly a record for continuous games for Rhys. It's just a real positive to see him back playing good footy and being able to maintain continuity and consistency.
I hope we keep him another year. When he's been fit, he's shown great skills and he's also not afraid to put his body on the line. Fingers crossed he can play out the season at any level and have a ripping pre-season.

O'Keeffe has only been on the rookie list for 1 year now

Okeefe was on the senior list for 2 years before being dropped and rookied. I doubt he will survive this years cut but I have nothing to base that on except we dont have players around for long if they dont make senior appearances. I would love him to stay going on track watchers.

Promise me you will never buy a racehorse

Ever meet any of teh "Legal Eagles" ?? * I have;) first guy to apply modern porfolio theory to horse racing...back in the day when bookies ran the oods as real jobbers...

and no Coach - I know too much to ever buy a horse..or a share in a horse..hahahahha

Exactly right Harks, once Rhys returned from the stress fracture in his lower lumbar spine, I thought he won't be as tough and as hard at the ball, but I was wrong. He continues to put his body on the line not matter how hard he gets hit. That's an attribute I love in players.

Okeefe was on the senior list for 2 years before being dropped and rookied. I doubt he will survive this years cut but I have nothing to base that on except we dont have players around for long if they dont make senior appearances. I would love him to stay going on track watchers.
I think that he has made one appearance last year... but outside of that, I wouldnt want to bet on his future. But as I said before, there are other rookies that are ahead of him on the potential delisting list before they get to him.

Its tough to see any player delisted, especially those that did not make any real impact in their time. But the reality is that only about 30% of players drafted reach 50 games, (it may be even more start than that I dont quite remember the exact stat) and there is a lot of churn. Its also exciting to see new faces, new hope of unearthing a gem. Its part of the cycle. For every sad case, is a new hopeful getting their shot.

Its tough to see any player delisted, especially those that did not make any real impact in their time. But the reality is that only about 30% of players drafted reach 50 games, (it may be even more start than that I dont quite remember the exact stat) and there is a lot of churn. Its also exciting to see new faces, new hope of unearthing a gem. Its part of the cycle. For every sad case, is a new hopeful getting their shot.
That is the unfortunate truth... and after so many years of seeing so many hopefuls come along, showing so much promise and then wash out because their bodies couldnt handle the rigors of AFL level football or they have some sort of mental issues which also cause them to wash out.

Its finally getting to a point where we have a good list of players and we dont actually want to see them go now.

1%ers
Aren't holding tackles, often wrap a bloke up and they handball freely to a target. Not the case for all blokes but a lot of them.

Aren't able to stand up in tackles, aren't able to effectively release the ball while being tackled, bar some.

Intensity, despiration and a committed attack on the ball has not been the same accross the board.

No one sacraficing their game by blocking for another player in marking contests or stoppages. Not playing team football.

Smarts
We are a long kicking side with no idea how to kick long, we never look, we kick long down the line and are horribly predictable. We don't kick long and to some ones advantage. We kick long to the opposition's advantage as much as to ours. Our long kicks lack smarts. They don't go out in front or to the right side of some one often enough. We don't lower the eyes enough, we don't use the short kick to maintain possession and easy pressure.

Forwardline
Forwards lead to the boundry and are too focused on finding space rather than drawing the ball into a dangerous area. When we do get it, we can't kick it because of the angle. This is classic of every forward line Jon Barker has ever been in charge of. Forwards don't work as a team to make space, again no one sacraficing their game for another. Kicks go to close to the goal face, to wide or to a stationary target too often. Forwards aren't in position when we move it quickly from defence and put the ball carrier under pressure and it causes turnovers. Talls need to be played in groups of 2s and preferable 3s so that there aren't tall players in the hole and to prevent double teaming and prevent the opposition going with a small running defence and to find mismatches and exploit weaknesses in the opposition. No a tall forward line doesn't make it easier for the oppositon to rebound. Forwardline is completly disfunctional and does not follow the structure and mould of the successful sides.

Defence
Defence has been ok but we have failed to utilise the lose man in defence properly by making it a tall and have failed to exploit the opposition when our defence has more talls than their attack by getting a tall lose. For example us dropping Watson because there was no matchup and we failed to see that he would make a good lose man, like Brian Lake. Not to mention is insurance for Jamison getting injured, which did happen last weekend. Defence hasn't been running hard enough from behind the ball to recieve and get the ball going forward.

Midfield
The midfield has failed to win the contested ball and failed at stoppages, particularly clearing it from the center and clearing it in a dangerous fashion. All our clearances go wide and we always get the ball on the defencive side of the contest. We bomb the ball when we get it out the back of clearances rather than running in numbers from behind the ball and using handball to get the ball carrier in a more dangerous position. Our run outside contests has been coming from too few players. The lack of blocking for team mates to open up a path to run through is an issue. No one moving at stoppages is an issue. The ruckmen keeping it in close is an issue. This is our weakest area, our midfield is one of the worst in the league, despite how it's rated. Our movement is so predictable, get to half back kick long up the boundry. The good teams are using the corridore and trying to go along the edge of the center square a lot, not us. We also aren't running hard enough from behind the ball, except for Yarran.

Off Field
most of our players demonstrate a lack of strength, whether it be with their poor tackling, being easy to tackle, losing contests and lack of contested marking. Our size and strength is not up to it and this comes back to the personelle running the club. No excuses, especially with our facilities. The injuries are another concernt, I don't think our coaches have a bloody clue on how to train players. Can't be all bad luck.

The assistant coaching selections have been appauling. No consideration into how the team's that these guys came from were going when they were there and no consideration on how the areas of the field these guys were responsible were going when they were there. If we did consider this then bugger all of these muppets would be at Carlton.

players

Armfield - has had a break out year. Runs hard, plays hard, works hard and has a deadly kick for goal. gets a big tick.

Bell - Very impressive, especially after a long injury layoff. One of the best tacklers I have seen. Slams them and makes them pay, they never get a handball away, doesn't tackle high even when they drop to their knees and rarely infringes. Could be exactly what we need. Very strong throught the shoulders and a good runner similar to Dayne Swan. Just need a coaching staff that developes team work and s system at stoppages and use him and he could be hard to stop. Could also be strong enough to stop inside midfielders like Watson and Thompson who kill us.

Betts - Has had a decent year though his tackling has been down. has struggled at times by being forced into the wrong role but is still one of the best small forwards around.

Bootsma - heaps to work on, nervous starter but has done exceptional for a first year player, just needs to physically develop.

Bower - Never won a one on one in his life. Terrible player body on body. Lacks defensive smarts and gets done on leads far too often. Good at getting the footy and running with it but lacks defensive skills and hardness. Dissapointing, expected his game would have matured by now.

Carrazzo - has been our best midfielder all year and the injury hasn't helped his season at all. The best user we have in a contest, just a good all round midfielder.

Casboult - Has done really well. Rucked ok, his role as a forward needs work, needs to be in position more often and work on his leads and his kicking for goal needs a lot of work. Fittness seems to be struggling after a long lay off. Can take a grab, doesn't get out marked and is the ideal build for a forward. Lots to work with. Not very different to a young Tom Hawkins in my view. Pretty happy with how he is travelling to be honest.

Collins - Attacks the ball well and reads it well as a forward but is nervous with the ball in hand and his decision making and kicking is unreliable. Is a good handy player with reasonable skills and a good footy brain but needs more composure. Decent return from a young player.

Curnow - Just a good average player. Lacks pace and doesn't give us enough run and seems too easily held in a tackle. Smart enough to find it and fit enough to run at his pace all day. Makes a lot of contests which is his key and competes pretty hard. Disposal has improved but needs more work. Decent effort for a rookie pick and still improving.

Davies - Can be forgiven for lacking touch but he seems to have poor hands and fumbles a lot. is just an average old fashion solid defender. Does seem to have defensive smarts and can stop an opponant.

Dale - I recon we have picked a very good player here. Good build and looks a natural footballer with footy smarts and skills.

Duigan - injuries and expirementation stuffed his season. Is a good honest hard at it player, must look towards next season.

Ellard - Good VFL player, average AFL player. Good for 11-15 possessions and maybe a goal and some ordinary kicking. Just not up to it at the top level. Just a good honest tryer who should be admired from where he has come from and what he has achieved. Must be a hard worker.

Garlett - Hands have been shocking this year, fumbled a lot but to his credit hasn't stoped trying. Is a victum of a poor game style, poor form, a poor midfield and no space in the forward line.

Gibbs - Good half back flanker. Dissapointing he hasn't progressed as a footballer. Lacks size, strength and a desire to be physical and hard at the contest but is great out in the open. Perhaps not overly good below his knees, often has to slow right up to gather which might influence his midfield performances though it's not a real weakness. Could perhaps be a decent midfielder in a midfield that works for each other and has a system at stoppages.

Hampson - had a reasonable year then injured again. Classic story of trying to turn an athlete into a footballer. Will never have good hands but is a handy forward/ruck type. Improved his body work as a forward which is good. Had marks taken on him a bit this year, needs to work on preventing that next year.

Henderson - Would love to see him physically mature one day. Lacks size and strength to win a lot of one on ones. Makes up for it by having great skills, being a good athlete and having a very good footy brain. Been a big loss to the team. Is a good CHB and has potential to be a hard leading CHF that avoids one on ones and uses his running ability which is something I think we need.

Jamison - another year spent with injuries and shoulder problems for a guy who is a very good footballer. One of our smartest users of his body one on one and a smart skillful player who can really defend quality opponants when fit.

Joseph - gets the tough jobs but doesn't do enough with the ball. Attack on the ball is not always where it should be. Was as bad as I've seen it against Sydney and his lack luster shepherd on Martin against richmond to protect Mcinness says a lot. Has had an ok year but could have been better.

Judd - Lost his strength from a shoulder injury and found it hard to compete and play that inside role, eventually regained his strength and started playing really well then got suspended. About sums it up.

Kreuzer - Not sure what to make of him. Fumbles the ball a hell of a lot and holds about 1 mark out of 10. Not rucking well and not playing consistant football and hasn't figured out how to play up forward or to use his body one on one in a marking contest. Bullys some ruckmen and looks a star and when he's dominating his hitouts are good but it's few and far between. Competes well at ground level but fumbles a lot and this is not why he is in the side. Running is usually his game and he's struggled to find space and get lose this year.

Laidler - Unlucky season to a guy who is a very smart, natural hard at it footballer with skills and leadership qualities.

Lucas - had an indifferent year that eventually finished up with him getting injured. Not hard enough at the contest and doesn't win enought of his own ball and put in second efforts, desperate acts and 1%ers. We are missing an outside runner though at the moment and he'd be the man for the job. Still young and still could be a good player.

McInness - Been very impressive. Clean skills, stays on his feet, reads the game so well, makes few mistakes and defends fairly well. He's quality and will only get better.

McLean - found fittness and a more resilliant attitude and has come back in and taken every oppertunity. Playing good footy and has improved his running game.

Mitchell - been going well in the VFL, deserves a game, there is no reason at all not to play him. Needs to play for his development.

Murphy - struggled after his injury to reach that very top level he was at but is all class regardless.

Robinson - Sets the example for attack on the ball, playing team footy, taking risks, playing attacking footy, kicking long to advantager and to dangerous areas and for work rate and hard running. Pity not many of them follow his example.

Russell - got the very best out of himself a few years ago but is now just an ordinary player. Never progressed from a back flank to being able to play other positions, never learnt to use his size and strength and still makes poor decisions and executions by hand and foot. Never recaptured that work rate or hard running from years ago. if we have him next year he needs to have a huge preseason to be a chance.

Scotland - We'd be stuffed without him. Should win the B&F. Smart and cool under pressure and a quality user of the ball. Saves our asses again and again.

Simpson - has been forced to play roles this year that he can not play but has never given up, just a tough brave warrior. A lot of guys like Lucas could take a leaf out of how this guy goes about a contest.

Thornton - Unlucky to not play more games, is a handy player but we are looking further than him. Again, it's tought to be a forward for Carlton.

Touhy - Seems to be struggling now but overall has had a good season. Should have been tried on the ball but never was. Very improved player.

Waite - Back is a real worry. Such a good player though.

Walker - Never really got fit or involved in this season.

Warnock - Can't stay fit. I think we have payed overs for a train wreck. This hurts when we gave away the best ruckman we had a few years ago. Needs to come good.

Watson - Very impressive this year. He uses his body well and that's rare for such a young player. Good kick and hard at the contest. Growing smarter and learning the tricks. Hoping he turns out like a Brian Lake type. Has good hands and is cool under pressure. Not sure why he got dropped.

White - proved he's better than a lot of other tall medium defenders we have last week. Brave and can take a grab and reads the play.

Yarran - Had a great year but not given enough time if any on the ball. Our coaches fail massively at helping guys progress from the back flank to the midfield. Gee this guy can play and to see him take a mark going back with the flight last match was good as he often squibs it when he has to stand under a ball or go back with the flight. It was a sign of maturity.

1%ers
Aren't holding tackles, often wrap a bloke up and they handball freely to a target. Not the case for all blokes but a lot of them.

Aren't able to stand up in tackles, aren't able to effectively release the ball while being tackled, bar some.

Intensity, despiration and a committed attack on the ball has not been the same accross the board.

No one sacraficing their game by blocking for another player in marking contests or stoppages. Not playing team football.

Smarts
We are a long kicking side with no idea how to kick long, we never look, we kick long down the line and are horribly predictable. We don't kick long and to some ones advantage. We kick long to the opposition's advantage as much as to ours. Our long kicks lack smarts. They don't go out in front or to the right side of some one often enough. We don't lower the eyes enough, we don't use the short kick to maintain possession and easy pressure.

Forwardline
Forwards lead to the boundry and are too focused on finding space rather than drawing the ball into a dangerous area. When we do get it, we can't kick it because of the angle. This is classic of every forward line Jon Barker has ever been in charge of. Forwards don't work as a team to make space, again no one sacraficing their game for another. Kicks go to close to the goal face, to wide or to a stationary target too often. Forwards aren't in position when we move it quickly from defence and put the ball carrier under pressure and it causes turnovers. Talls need to be played in groups of 2s and preferable 3s so that there aren't tall players in the hole and to prevent double teaming and prevent the opposition going with a small running defence and to find mismatches and exploit weaknesses in the opposition. No a tall forward line doesn't make it easier for the oppositon to rebound. Forwardline is completly disfunctional and does not follow the structure and mould of the successful sides.

Defence
Defence has been ok but we have failed to utilise the lose man in defence properly by making it a tall and have failed to exploit the opposition when our defence has more talls than their attack by getting a tall lose. For example us dropping Watson because there was no matchup and we failed to see that he would make a good lose man, like Brian Lake. Not to mention is insurance for Jamison getting injured, which did happen last weekend. Defence hasn't been running hard enough from behind the ball to recieve and get the ball going forward.

Midfield
The midfield has failed to win the contested ball and failed at stoppages, particularly clearing it from the center and clearing it in a dangerous fashion. All our clearances go wide and we always get the ball on the defencive side of the contest. We bomb the ball when we get it out the back of clearances rather than running in numbers from behind the ball and using handball to get the ball carrier in a more dangerous position. Our run outside contests has been coming from too few players. The lack of blocking for team mates to open up a path to run through is an issue. No one moving at stoppages is an issue. The ruckmen keeping it in close is an issue. This is our weakest area, our midfield is one of the worst in the league, despite how it's rated. Our movement is so predictable, get to half back kick long up the boundry. The good teams are using the corridore and trying to go along the edge of the center square a lot, not us. We also aren't running hard enough from behind the ball, except for Yarran.

Off Field
most of our players demonstrate a lack of strength, whether it be with their poor tackling, being easy to tackle, losing contests and lack of contested marking. Our size and strength is not up to it and this comes back to the personelle running the club. No excuses, especially with our facilities. The injuries are another concernt, I don't think our coaches have a bloody clue on how to train players. Can't be all bad luck.

The assistant coaching selections have been appauling. No consideration into how the team's that these guys came from were going when they were there and no consideration on how the areas of the field these guys were responsible were going when they were there. If we did consider this then bugger all of these muppets would be at Carlton.

players

Armfield - has had a break out year. Runs hard, plays hard, works hard and has a deadly kick for goal. gets a big tick.

Bell - Very impressive, especially after a long injury layoff. One of the best tacklers I have seen. Slams them and makes them pay, they never get a handball away, doesn't tackle high even when they drop to their knees and rarely infringes. Could be exactly what we need. Very strong throught the shoulders and a good runner similar to Dayne Swan. Just need a coaching staff that developes team work and s system at stoppages and use him and he could be hard to stop. Could also be strong enough to stop inside midfielders like Watson and Thompson who kill us.

Betts - Has had a decent year though his tackling has been down. has struggled at times by being forced into the wrong role but is still one of the best small forwards around.

Bootsma - heaps to work on, nervous starter but has done exceptional for a first year player, just needs to physically develop.

Bower - Never won a one on one in his life. Terrible player body on body. Lacks defensive smarts and gets done on leads far too often. Good at getting the footy and running with it but lacks defensive skills and hardness. Dissapointing, expected his game would have matured by now.

Carrazzo - has been our best midfielder all year and the injury hasn't helped his season at all. The best user we have in a contest, just a good all round midfielder.

Casboult - Has done really well. Rucked ok, his role as a forward needs work, needs to be in position more often and work on his leads and his kicking for goal needs a lot of work. Fittness seems to be struggling after a long lay off. Can take a grab, doesn't get out marked and is the ideal build for a forward. Lots to work with. Not very different to a young Tom Hawkins in my view. Pretty happy with how he is travelling to be honest.

Collins - Attacks the ball well and reads it well as a forward but is nervous with the ball in hand and his decision making and kicking is unreliable. Is a good handy player with reasonable skills and a good footy brain but needs more composure. Decent return from a young player.

Curnow - Just a good average player. Lacks pace and doesn't give us enough run and seems too easily held in a tackle. Smart enough to find it and fit enough to run at his pace all day. Makes a lot of contests which is his key and competes pretty hard. Disposal has improved but needs more work. Decent effort for a rookie pick and still improving.

Davies - Can be forgiven for lacking touch but he seems to have poor hands and fumbles a lot. is just an average old fashion solid defender. Does seem to have defensive smarts and can stop an opponant.

Dale - I recon we have picked a very good player here. Good build and looks a natural footballer with footy smarts and skills.

Duigan - injuries and expirementation stuffed his season. Is a good honest hard at it player, must look towards next season.

Ellard - Good VFL player, average AFL player. Good for 11-15 possessions and maybe a goal and some ordinary kicking. Just not up to it at the top level. Just a good honest tryer who should be admired from where he has come from and what he has achieved. Must be a hard worker.

Garlett - Hands have been shocking this year, fumbled a lot but to his credit hasn't stoped trying. Is a victum of a poor game style, poor form, a poor midfield and no space in the forward line.

Gibbs - Good half back flanker. Dissapointing he hasn't progressed as a footballer. Lacks size, strength and a desire to be physical and hard at the contest but is great out in the open. Perhaps not overly good below his knees, often has to slow right up to gather which might influence his midfield performances though it's not a real weakness. Could perhaps be a decent midfielder in a midfield that works for each other and has a system at stoppages.

Hampson - had a reasonable year then injured again. Classic story of trying to turn an athlete into a footballer. Will never have good hands but is a handy forward/ruck type. Improved his body work as a forward which is good. Had marks taken on him a bit this year, needs to work on preventing that next year.

Henderson - Would love to see him physically mature one day. Lacks size and strength to win a lot of one on ones. Makes up for it by having great skills, being a good athlete and having a very good footy brain. Been a big loss to the team. Is a good CHB and has potential to be a hard leading CHF that avoids one on ones and uses his running ability which is something I think we need.

Jamison - another year spent with injuries and shoulder problems for a guy who is a very good footballer. One of our smartest users of his body one on one and a smart skillful player who can really defend quality opponants when fit.

Joseph - gets the tough jobs but doesn't do enough with the ball. Attack on the ball is not always where it should be. Was as bad as I've seen it against Sydney and his lack luster shepherd on Martin against richmond to protect Mcinness says a lot. Has had an ok year but could have been better.

Judd - Lost his strength from a shoulder injury and found it hard to compete and play that inside role, eventually regained his strength and started playing really well then got suspended. About sums it up.

Kreuzer - Not sure what to make of him. Fumbles the ball a hell of a lot and holds about 1 mark out of 10. Not rucking well and not playing consistant football and hasn't figured out how to play up forward or to use his body one on one in a marking contest. Bullys some ruckmen and looks a star and when he's dominating his hitouts are good but it's few and far between. Competes well at ground level but fumbles a lot and this is not why he is in the side. Running is usually his game and he's struggled to find space and get lose this year.

Laidler - Unlucky season to a guy who is a very smart, natural hard at it footballer with skills and leadership qualities.

Lucas - had an indifferent year that eventually finished up with him getting injured. Not hard enough at the contest and doesn't win enought of his own ball and put in second efforts, desperate acts and 1%ers. We are missing an outside runner though at the moment and he'd be the man for the job. Still young and still could be a good player.

McInness - Been very impressive. Clean skills, stays on his feet, reads the game so well, makes few mistakes and defends fairly well. He's quality and will only get better.

McLean - found fittness and a more resilliant attitude and has come back in and taken every oppertunity. Playing good footy and has improved his running game.

Mitchell - been going well in the VFL, deserves a game, there is no reason at all not to play him. Needs to play for his development.

Murphy - struggled after his injury to reach that very top level he was at but is all class regardless.

Robinson - Sets the example for attack on the ball, playing team footy, taking risks, playing attacking footy, kicking long to advantager and to dangerous areas and for work rate and hard running. Pity not many of them follow his example.

Russell - got the very best out of himself a few years ago but is now just an ordinary player. Never progressed from a back flank to being able to play other positions, never learnt to use his size and strength and still makes poor decisions and executions by hand and foot. Never recaptured that work rate or hard running from years ago. if we have him next year he needs to have a huge preseason to be a chance.

Scotland - We'd be stuffed without him. Should win the B&F. Smart and cool under pressure and a quality user of the ball. Saves our asses again and again.

Simpson - has been forced to play roles this year that he can not play but has never given up, just a tough brave warrior. A lot of guys like Lucas could take a leaf out of how this guy goes about a contest.

Thornton - Unlucky to not play more games, is a handy player but we are looking further than him. Again, it's tought to be a forward for Carlton.

Touhy - Seems to be struggling now but overall has had a good season. Should have been tried on the ball but never was. Very improved player.

Waite - Back is a real worry. Such a good player though.

Walker - Never really got fit or involved in this season.

Warnock - Can't stay fit. I think we have payed overs for a train wreck. This hurts when we gave away the best ruckman we had a few years ago. Needs to come good.

Watson - Very impressive this year. He uses his body well and that's rare for such a young player. Good kick and hard at the contest. Growing smarter and learning the tricks. Hoping he turns out like a Brian Lake type. Has good hands and is cool under pressure. Not sure why he got dropped.

White - proved he's better than a lot of other tall medium defenders we have last week. Brave and can take a grab and reads the play.

Yarran - Had a great year but not given enough time if any on the ball. Our coaches fail massively at helping guys progress from the back flank to the midfield. Gee this guy can play and to see him take a mark going back with the flight last match was good as he often squibs it when he has to stand under a ball or go back with the flight. It was a sign of maturity.
Not a bad assessment.

I would like to point out that not all players are in and under types who can go in and win their own ball.

I think that the club saw Warnock as Sandilands mk2 when they went for him, however, he hasnt managed to fill out in a similar mold to Sandilands and is just a poorer version really. However, he is what we have and we have to try and make him fill the hole.

I think that you are selling Humphrey a bit short as well. He manages to take a lot more marks than 1 in 10 and if he doesnt, then he creates a contest with his 2nd and 3rd efforts. He has been curtailed by knee and hip issues this year and could have used a few more rests during the year, but injuries to Knockers and Hampson saw him carrying more than his fair share of the work load. I think that having Casboult step up over the last couple of weeks has eased the burden a bit... but he still needs a break every so often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a strange feeling that Rhys O'Keefe will be retained after his effort in the midfield for the Northern Blues on the weekend. I think the club sees much upside in Rhys.
I think your answer may come in the next couple of weeks. If he does not get a senior try, I would say that is your early warning. If he gets a seniors try and doesnt blitz that too would be a warning sign. If however he gets a try and is hot he may get a senior spot. I dont like his chances but I have not seen him play. I cant see him getting a midfield gig with Judd and Robbo to come back in. So if he gets a go, it would have to be on a forward flank you would think.

I think your answer may come in the next couple of weeks. If he does not get a senior try, I would say that is your early warning. If he gets a seniors try and doesnt blitz that too would be a warning sign. If however he gets a try and is hot he may get a senior spot. I dont like his chances but I have not seen him play. I cant see him getting a midfield gig with Judd and Robbo to come back in. So if he gets a go, it would have to be on a forward flank you would think.

This.

He will be one of those HFF that has stints in the midfield, if anything.

The issue with a forward spot for ROK may well be decided by Walkers fitness. You would assume the club want to keep 2 talls in, so Waite and either Caz or Mitchell to get a taste, then the 2 smalls Eddie and Jeff (whose form has been up and down but the MC look like persisting with him). If Tex is fit he comes back in to take a flank, that leaves one spot, with Simmo and Army already staking claims, especially Army doing defensive hf work so well.

Its tight. I just cant see him breaking in, unless we lose a game and the season is fully over. If we keep winning, I think we keep trying to win and make it, will make it very hard to snag a spot. And if he does not get a senior run about his only hope then is to be picked up with our last spot in the ND if we dont trade for a higher pick as I suspect we might try to do. Its not looking good if my hunches are thereabouts.

A lot of talk here on what to do with ROK but I think it goes further than that when assessing rookies.

My understanding is we no longer have the luxury of nominating 2 rookie elevations at the beginning of the season and whilst this is compensated for by an increase of 2 on the primary list we will only be able to elevate a rookie next year if we have an LTI. ATM it seems that none of our existing LTI's are likely to extend into next year so any rookie not elevated may languish in the 2's regardless of form.

I realise recent history seems to be that we suffer a few LTI's in preseason training but does the club roll the dice in expectation of this and limit rookie elevations?

If not then decisions have to be made. From what I've seen Touhy, Curnow, Casboult and Bell all would have to be considered on, displayed form, for elevation.

Touhy and Casboult have both been on the rookie list for 3 years and perhaps someone could tell me, if the club were prepared to take a chance, could we re-rookie them if no one else wanted them (highly unlikely that no one else would want Touhy anyway and wouldn't surprise if some were interested in Casboult) but can it be done if the risk is taken?

If Curnow were not elevated I suspect we would lose him (and as a rookie that wouldn't even give us a gap in our list) and, whilst Bell could certainly be kept on the rookie list, would we risk the fact that he may grow a leg over the preseason (a la Robbo in 2010) and develop into the inside mid we want but can't use?

That leaves Dale and O'Keefe, both of whom can be re-rookeid but could also be unuseable in the event of good year with injuries (and aren't we overdue for that?).

All in all we have had great success with rookies but some tough decisions to be made. Every rookie elevation adds to another delisting.

I think you might be right about ROK being used on the HFF. We might look at doing something similar to Collingwood's structure, with other genuine midfielders taking up some of the flank positions. In a perfect world, ROK could be a combination between Beams and Drummond's left leg.

A lot of talk here on what to do with ROK but I think it goes further than that when assessing rookies.

My understanding is we no longer have the luxury of nominating 2 rookie elevations at the beginning of the season and whilst this is compensated for by an increase of 2 on the primary list we will only be able to elevate a rookie next year if we have an LTI. ATM it seems that none of our existing LTI's are likely to extend into next year so any rookie not elevated may languish in the 2's regardless of form.

I realise recent history seems to be that we suffer a few LTI's in preseason training but does the club roll the dice in expectation of this and limit rookie elevations?

If not then decisions have to be made. From what I've seen Touhy, Curnow, Casboult and Bell all would have to be considered on, displayed form, for elevation.

Touhy and Casboult have both been on the rookie list for 3 years and perhaps someone could tell me, if the club were prepared to take a chance, could we re-rookie them if no one else wanted them (highly unlikely that no one else would want Touhy anyway and wouldn't surprise if some were interested in Casboult) but can it be done if the risk is taken?

If Curnow were not elevated I suspect we would lose him (and as a rookie that wouldn't even give us a gap in our list) and, whilst Bell could certainly be kept on the rookie list, would we risk the fact that he may grow a leg over the preseason (a la Robbo in 2010) and develop into the inside mid we want but can't use?

That leaves Dale and O'Keefe, both of whom can be re-rookeid but could also be unuseable in the event of good year with injuries (and aren't we overdue for that?).

All in all we have had great success with rookies but some tough decisions to be made. Every rookie elevation adds to another delisting.

Totally agree and have been harping on the fact.
Our list assessment needs to be ruthless during the off-season. We have too many good, honest depth players who can fill a top 22 spot, but bring nothing more to the table than a few of their team mates. We need to improve that couple of percent to go from a promising team capable of beating any one on our day, to beating everyone consistently, to be the Carlton I grew up supporting.
Tuohy, Bell and Casboult all offer a point of difference which can improve our team. Curnow's career will hang on what we trade/draft, he is a good honest C+ mid, depth only in a top team. While the jury is still out on Casboult skill wise, he brings something to the table we lack. If Mitchell is the godsend we hope for I suspect he may already be in the 22...he is still coming, so Casboult stays.

If Curnow were not elevated I suspect we would lose him (and as a rookie that wouldn't even give us a gap in our list)

Opinion on here seems divided on what he's worth but, detractors aside, he has enough exposed form to be a 50-100 game player. That to me would warrant a 2nd or 3rd round pick. By that logic, he's certain to be elevated or would walk.

Totally agree and have been harping on the fact.
Our list assessment needs to be ruthless during the off-season. We have too many good, honest depth players who can fill a top 22 spot, but bring nothing more to the table than a few of their team mates. We need to improve that couple of percent to go from a promising team capable of beating any one on our day, to beating everyone consistently, to be the Carlton I grew up supporting.
Tuohy, Bell and Casboult all offer a point of difference which can improve our team. Curnow's career will hang on what we trade/draft, he is a good honest C+ mid, depth only in a top team. While the jury is still out on Casboult skill wise, he brings something to the table we lack. If Mitchell is the godsend we hope for I suspect he may already be in the 22...he is still coming, so Casboult stays.

We have Hammer and Rowe as well as Mitchell which for mine puts a huge question mark over Casboult. I'm just not sure you can fix kicking that bad because presumably he has worked on it extensively in the years he has already been at the club. No use taking marks if you miss from the top of the goal square.

i kmow i'm almost alone in thinking this but i just don't see Casboult making it. obviously i'm no wise footy oracle and have no say in anything at the club, but i just have a sneaking suspicion he will get him marching orders at the end of the season.

i know he's had a terrible trot with injuries and i'm sure others can find examples of similar players whom have made it (gumbleton) imo i don't think he will be with us.

I think you might be right about ROK being used on the HFF. We might look at doing something similar to Collingwood's structure, with other genuine midfielders taking up some of the flank positions. In a perfect world, ROK could be a combination between Beams and Drummond's left leg.

TG may never return from the bathroom if this happens :p

Would love to see what his cannon could do at AFL level though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back