Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs
Re: The 2012 Brisbane Lions Pre-Season Thread

Not yet.

Saw Geelong's last week via an email. Renew online (same as most clubs) but you will get your membership pack posted as well and it will already have your ticket in it. It gets activated once you have paid. Saving heaps on initial postage but also once you have your ticket in your hand, if you were considering to renew or not it would probably pull you over the line.

Clever marketing I say. Lions Insider this might be worth passing on?

I think it has been alluded to previously, but I believe there's been a massive overhaul in the membership options, so I'm not shocked the member packs haven't been sent out early.

AGM notifications have to be sent out before next Wed too (Dec 14th IIRC if anyone's heading along).

Tangentially, can anyone elaborate on the process for changing seats? Also when does a previous member's option on a seat lapse? How about if you know a particular member is not renewing and you want to call dibs?

I have changed seats almost every year for one reason or another so have a bit of experience. Ususally the response I have received is that I just have to fill out a membership request form and send it in. They haven't been able to let me know what seat I will get until i get this passes in the mail, which has been a bit annoying. Something about have to wait until all existing members have decided to renew or not, even though I tried after the renewal cutoff. Left me in limbo a bit as to where I was sitting.

Interestingly when i first became a member about 5 years ago I spent a while on the phone to someone who organised a seat for me straight away. She gave me a few options and I chose the one I wanted right there over the phone. Since I became a member I haven't had the same opportunity which is disappointing.

Although given your good relationship with the club and Lions_Insider I'm sure you may have a bit more luck. Although instead of bagging their seat maybe you should be coaxing them into rejoining :p

Although instead of bagging their seat maybe you should be coaxing them into rejoining :p

Thanks FatCat. Hehe, fair point, but the vacating member is actually two degrees removed from me, so I'm not in a position to talk them around. ;)

Any idea on what the membership options overhaul entails Bob?

No, sorry. I imagine the packs aren't far off though.

I know there's been some re-categorisation of seating areas, as a few seats next to me have always been empty, but when I inquired about picking them up for two friends of mine to join as well a few weeks ago, I was told that they were no longer free due to the re-categorisation. Not entirely sure what it means, but I guess we will see soon. I'll be looking to move seats myself as well actually, to add two friends onto the two passes I currently have.

Oddly, though, I remember someone from the Lions shop telling me a few weeks ago when I was in that membership info would be out in the first week of November. Since then, the club has said mid-November. And usually members have a week or so to renew before non-members are able to join, so that will have to happen to. Therefore surely membership renewal info will be out sometime this week, I'd think. If they want to open up to new members before the end of November, that'd have to happen.

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz
I have renewed over the phone, as a foundation member, I actually got a call from the membership department which is great service.

Was told that the membership prices for me had been reduced. Happy all round. Hope everyone else has a trouble free re-signing for membership as I did.

I hope this talk of a GA section specifically for Members is true. Deciding between continuing in GA while we rebuild surrounded by hostiles or switching to reserved seats is the better option.

The pros of GA, including booking early as members means we can get row A seats and we can bring a bunch of randoms with us to make noise and join along with our chant, were basically outweighed by the cons, ie. surrounded by w***er supporters from other clubs who would rub s**t in our faces for being vocal.

Still haven't decided whether having a reserved seat and avoiding the cattle would be worth more than the prized seat on the fence.

Was a member for the first time in 2011 and will be renewing for next year, loved it! By the sounds of it everything for 2012 will be hopefully settled by Dec (as I go abroad then for a while).

Was a member for the first time in 2011 and will be renewing for next year, loved it! By the sounds of it everything for 2012 will be hopefully settled by Dec (as I go abroad then for a while).

Nice one. If you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to sign up this year?

Welcome to the board btw. :thumbsu:

I've followed the afl for quite a few years and enjoy following the lions. Went to a few games in 2010 - really liked it. It's also something to look forward to on the weekend to :)

It's a legitimate question given what happened at the end of 2010 and where we're at in our development - but I enjoy the contest and as long as the players turn up and compete its generally great to watch. I personally think we have come leaps and bounds from where we were in 2010 even though it may not have been reflected on the ladder.

The section we're in is great also so no need to look at changing seats either!

Thanks for your welcome :thumbsu:

It's also something to look forward to on the weekend to :)

As good a reason as any. :thumbsu: :D

It's a legitimate question given what happened at the end of 2010 and where we're at in our development - but I enjoy the contest and as long as the players turn up and compete its generally great to watch. I personally think we have come leaps and bounds from where we were in 2010 even though it may not have been reflected on the ladder.

Getting in on the lows makes the highs so, so much better. Kudos. :thumbsu:

Now here's hoping those highs come sooner rather than later. ;)

Changing seats does take a fair bit of effort bob. As mentioned earlier, you can't see about another seat until the cut off has finished for renewing members, this has the double edged sword that if you haven't renewed yourset by that same date, your set is 'up for grabs' as well. So you might put a request in for a different seat, miss the seat you want, and have yours taken by someone else. You basically have to give up the rights to your seat to try move. Think of it as musical chairs, you gotta leave your seat to find a new one.

I've had my seat with my dad for 4 or 5 years, during this time we have slowly managed to get my Mrs next to us, firstly into the same section, then a row away, and then 2 seats away. We managed to organise with the guys next to us to swap seats so she could be offically next to us (even though she always sat with us anyway), and we did this for season 2011 by getting both members to write into the club, requesting a swap basically. It did the trick, except the Mrs first membership card she got at the start of the year had the others name on it lol. So a few things go mixed up, but we got the end result.

It's possible, but depends on the individual circumstances. Can be risk involved. Upon saying that, now is the best time to do it whilst memberships low and there are free seats everywhere.

Banana Boots

Senior List
Oct 19, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Does anyone know the interstate membership pack info?, I'm pretty sure you got one free game a year which is all I go to anyway (that was in last years pack ), just decided to become a member this year since I started work in april and can afford it now :D and I reckon were ready to blitz some teams next year!

I'm interested as to what we are doing for the interstate (excluding Vic) fans

I'm curious too, but I'd be surprised if it changes much. Maybe a decrease in price, going off what's been mentioned about other membership options, but there's not too much more they can offer that'll be useful other than throwing in a Foxtel subscription. :D

Does anyone know the interstate membership pack info?, I'm pretty sure you got one free game a year which is all I go to anyway (that was in last years pack ), just decided to become a member this year since I started work in april and can afford it now :D and I reckon were ready to blitz some teams next year!

Look for "country membership", at least I think that's what it was called. One free interstate game in NSW, SA or WA (maybe the other states? I didn't check and can't remember), five Gabba games in general admission and the assorted bits and pieces - cap which you have to collect, bumper sticker, lanyard, keyring, etc.

Banana Boots

Senior List
Oct 19, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Look for "country membership", at least I think that's what it was called. One free interstate game in NSW, SA or WA (maybe the other states? I didn't check and can't remember), five Gabba games in general admission and the assorted bits and pieces - cap which you have to collect, bumper sticker, lanyard, keyring, etc.

Thanks mate, they should also give us a piece of paper which has a poll on it, "Which logo did you like better, the old one or the new one?" :p;)

I'm interested to see whether our membership numbers increase or decrease from last year. Surely with the floods, Fev scandal, etc from last year, you would think we'd have more of a chance of getting members for next season, but on the counter, we did also have an average year on the ladder.

One of the saddest things I've seen was the very small amount of people who turned up for Luke Power's last game. I know it had been raining, and we hadn't been performing well, and no one knew it would be his last game for us, but his final match for the club is something I wish could've happened under different circumstances.

Hope Black and Brown get to go out in a slightly better fashion with an extra 10, 000 members in the stands.

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz
One of the saddest things I've seen was the very small amount of people who turned up for Luke Power's last game. I know it had been raining, and we hadn't been performing well, and no one knew it would be his last game for us, but his final match for the club is something I wish could've happened under different circumstances.

Hope Black and Brown get to go out in a slightly better fashion with an extra 10, 000 members in the stands.

But no one knew it was his last game, bugger, we pretty much had to guess it at the ground when he was being chaired off.

Yeah, has been said a few times, it's one of the few things the club has done poorly this year. Not announcing that before or during the game was silly. Last home game, not winning, bad weather, no one was going to be hanging around.

In the end it probably had more to do with Power's personal choice in the matter, but it would have been nice for the fans to be able to clap him off.

Back