2012 Membership Tally - Part2

Remove this Banner Ad

Neither Essendon nor Richmond had more members than Carlton last season. The official AFL membership audit subtracted several thousand 'memberships' from both Essendon & Richmond's club tallies.

Carlton hasn't been bothering to count those memberships which the AFL does not include in their official numbers. Why Essendon & Richmond (& Richmond have been doing so for a few years now) bother to include them in their ongoing figures is anyone's guess.

I remember reading somewhere the AFL will begin to count non gameday memberships into the official count this year. Not 100% sure of it but I do remember reading it somewhere, or maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me

I remember reading somewhere the AFL will begin to count non gameday memberships into the official count this year. Not 100% sure of it but I do remember reading it somewhere, or maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me

What I remember reading is that an AFL person visited Barca, and found that they had something like 150,000 members but such memberships gave you zero entitlement to see any games - which cost extra again.

This person, can't remember who he is, forecast that one day AFL clubs would be selling memberships in the same way that Barca does, and that your membership only gave you first preference in buying attendance at a game, but did NOT guarantee attendance.

In that context, I can't for the life me understand what people are on about when they whinge about people buying memberships, at whatever level, often with no capacity to even see a game (because they live interstate or work), as if some dastardly act has been committed by the club in claiming such memberships.

It's all money in the bank - money other codes would absolutely kill for.

And what do you know - all the codes are now selling memberships for the right to see a reduced number of games - now fancy that!

If Hawthorn didn't play in tassie they'd have 40,000 at the moment instead of 47,000

If Richmond had won something in the last 30 years they might already be at 50k.

Why do you even have to bring this stuff up? It just starts the pissing contest all over again. Honestly, nobody cares about whether Hawthorn has more members than Richmond, except the offended Richmond supporters and the gloating Hawthorn supporters who keep bringing it up. It really is just boring to read.

If Hawthorn didn't play in tassie they'd have 40,000 at the moment instead of 47,000

So what. 40,000 is still pretty good is it not? Still beats Richmond, Geelong, Carlton, St Kilda, Essendon etc. Tell me honestly. How many members would hawthorn have if we had no Franklin and Rioli? Probably half I reckon. Franklin is argubly the biggest markee player in the league.

What I remember reading is that an AFL person visited Barca, and found that they had something like 150,000 members but such memberships gave you zero entitlement to see any games - which cost extra again.

This person, can't remember who he is, forecast that one day AFL clubs would be selling memberships in the same way that Barca does, and that your membership only gave you first preference in buying attendance at a game, but did NOT guarantee attendance.

In that context, I can't for the life me understand what people are on about when they whinge about people buying memberships, at whatever level, often with no capacity to even see a game (because they live interstate or work), as if some dastardly act has been committed by the club in claiming such memberships.

It's all money in the bank - money other codes would absolutely kill for.

And what do you know - all the codes are now selling memberships for the right to see a reduced number of games - now fancy that!

Richmond used to sell 0 game memberships.

That's one of the reasons we're still given crap about our membership numbers as the AFL didn't count them.

Its a shame that telsor, mad tiger and Smasha are continually allowed to troll in this thread and stir up trouble.

Would be a much more mature thread without them.

Or maybe all the Melbourne Hawthorn fans who don't like the Tassie deal would join up...giving us something in the vicinity of ....100,000!!!!!!!! (number courtesy of www.madeupstats.com)

As Prudster said, I don't understand why you care so much.

Or maybe all the Melbourne Hawthorn fans who don't like the Tassie deal would join up...giving us something in the vicinity of ....100,000!!!!!!!! (number courtesy of www.madeupstats.com)

The australian site for made up stats ends in .au :p

51% of Hawthorn members are dogs, 54% are cats, and 6% are budgies who can only say "who's a pretty buddy"!

As for madness....He is clearly obsessed, and has been for years, but nobody understands why.

Neither Essendon nor Richmond had more members than Carlton last season. The official AFL membership audit subtracted several thousand 'memberships' from both Essendon & Richmond's club tallies.

Carlton hasn't been bothering to count those memberships which the AFL does not include in their official numbers. Why Essendon & Richmond (& Richmond have been doing so for a few years now) bother to include them in their ongoing figures is anyone's guess.

I can't speak for Richmond but can speak for Essendon and clear this debate up once and for all.. Essendon did have more members than Carlton in 2011. It had about 8,000 more. Make no mistake they did I can assure you. What you are noting is that the AFL didn't count 8,000 essendon memberships that were 'non match day' as Essendon decided to save about $50K and not add a barcode onto the tickets for these levels, obviously because they weren't needed. Carlton, like all other clubs have barcodes on all their tickets so they were all countd. Removing all semantics and asterixes, Carlton had 42,000 members in 2011. Essendon had 50,000. That's the facts.

Bzzt. Wrong. Only included those memberships in the overall total starting last season and before that we had a seperate total for non gameday members. By the time we started doing it most clubs were already recording it previously as 1 total anyways.

I remember reading somewhere the AFL will begin to count non gameday memberships into the official count this year.[/B] Not 100% sure of it but I do remember reading it somewhere, or maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me

no u have a good memory it was me Rocky who posted it in late Dec and ill re-post it again...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted during the year so ill reiterate for the tigers non ticketed/access, we had over 7,000 but they were "Baby Tiger & Tiger Cubs Club", real people but under 6 yrs old memberships and U6's get in for free anyway....to have it included in the ticketed figures we needed to pay $7 a barcode most clubs hawks, pies, blues etc do this we didnt to save 50K, ive had lengthy discussions with our membership dept on this subject and also spoken to the AFL that if someone joining up is a "human being" they should b included "barcode or not" cause U6's get in for free anyway...I also stated as an example to further highlight my point that if both Collingwood and Richmond have 7,000 U6 kids members but collingwood pay the $7 for the barcode to appear on the membership card and richmond dont its grossly unfair that our figure isnt recognized as match-day when in reality the person joining is a real person and has entry for free anyway as being U6....the AFL membership operator agreed with my sentiments and said they would look into this anomaly further which im sure they have by now....

Changes for 2012: For those who have been wondering about the different methods of counting memberships- the AFL have made some changes to how they are reported. Access and non-access membership numbers will now be rolled up into one consolidated membership which means that the number clubs report will be identical to the number that the AFL report.

Changes for 2012: For those who have been wondering about the different methods of counting memberships- the AFL have made some changes to how they are reported. Access and non-access membership numbers will now be rolled up into one consolidated membership which means that the number clubs report will be identical to the number that the AFL report.

Where is this information coming from? I cant find it anywhere besides posts you've made on this forum.

51% of Hawthorn members are dogs, 54% are cats, and 6% are budgies who can only say "who's a pretty buddy"!

As for madness....He is clearly obsessed, and has been for years, but nobody understands why.

main board trolling.

Yet Richmond offer pet memberships but the Hawks do not.

How does this Noob continue to de-rail this thread and get away with it?

111% of telsor is incapable of simple mathematics

main board trolling.

Yet Richmond offer pet memberships but the Hawks do not.

How does this Noob continue to de-rail this thread and get away with it?

Guys...It was a joke!

Note how I was replying to a post about made up stats...(and how the stats I gave added up to over 100%).

If it offended people I'm sorry, but I really think you need to be a little less sensitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back