2012 MLB Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Votto contract is insane. It takes up a third of the cap at the moment how are they going to field a good team when he is past his peak.

No cap in baseball, but going to be hard for Cincy to manage that deal. Getting Griffey Junior almost broke the team- this could do the same.

Word from Boston is that Bailey will have surgery on his thumb. No word on how long he will be out. Beckett getting a second opinion. WEEI now reporting Bailey out three to four months.

Bobby V already going to be juggling pitchers in Beantown.

I know it sounds a lot and it is but i don't think the Votto deal is all that crazy. In 2 years he becomes a FA. Reds can't afford to wait from another AL team to come along and offer Fielder/Pujols 10 yr deal. They've got to act now and they have to offer a 10 yr deal.

Votto is the face of the franchise, other teams are now making a shedload of money from local TV deals (Angels, Texans). The Reds are in a small market so if they ever did get a deal it wouldn't be as big as in Texan and LA. But it would still help and having Votto would make them more likely to get a deal done.

He's a pretty good fielder as well, so for most of that contract they'll get their money's worth.

Lulz at the Giants. Ridiculous contract for Cain.
I don't mind the deal, we now have both Timmy and Cain locked in for at least a few years.

Cain is an elite pitcher, in fact he would have won close to, if not over 20 games last year if we had some decent offense, the amount of 2-1 or 3-2 losses he had was silly, let alone the no results due to him pitching a 0-0 or 1-1 tie through 6-7 innings.

If he was at a "power offense" club no would shirk at the price we paid, a lot of people instead are looking at his win/loss ratio (12-11 last year) and thinking it's just plain crazy to sign him long term.

I like the deal.:)

Is Timmy locked in? from what they were saying on ESPN Timmy hasnt signed yet

Two year, $40m deal. He's "locked up," but only through 2013. May not eb a bad deal for SF, though. Salaries surely can't go that much h9igher, surely. He'll stay in the 20-25 m range. And, if God forbid, he got injured, well then you have a new kettle of fish....

Going to get into baseball this year, after years of dismissing it as the red haired stepchild of cricket actually watched, and enjoyed the world series last year. Still much prefer cricket but looking forward to watching the games this season.

Gonna support the Cubs. Their history, old style stadium and not having won anything in 100+ years reminds me of the mighty North Sydney side - plus being on that bandwagon if they do win again would be swell.

Looking forward to it, havent got into a new sport in years.

Going to get into baseball this year, after years of dismissing it as the red haired stepchild of cricket actually watched, and enjoyed the world series last year. Still much prefer cricket but looking forward to watching the games this season.

Gonna support the Cubs. Their history, old style stadium and not having won anything in 100+ years reminds me of the mighty North Sydney side - plus being on that bandwagon if they do win again would be swell.

Looking forward to it, havent got into a new sport in years.

Enjoy- it is a fun game when you get into the nuances of it. The Cubs are a team worthy of support with a great deal of wonderful history. Books like Wrigleyville give you a flavor of what it is like to be a Cubs fan, and as one who has been to Wrigely numerous times, it is a fun park and worth a visit if you are in Chitown.

Welcome to the baseball fold, and don't eb afraid to ask questions or add comments.

I'm over in the US atm so will be seeing a Mets game this weekend. It should be fun.

Well, you ARE watching the Mutts- oh, well- gotta take what you can get, I suppose. CitiField is fun, by all accounts. Enjoy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, you ARE watching the Mutts- oh, well- gotta take what you can get, I suppose. CitiField is fun, by all accounts. Enjoy!

Haha what can you do. If I'm being completely honest who's playing means nothing to me; the MLB noob that I am. I'd prefer not to be seen as a bandwagon Yankees supporter though :p

I've heard that Citi Field is great and since its opening week (I've been told) the atmosphere should be good.

Fish and Cards under way. Muhammad Ali threw out the first pitch.

Carlos Beltran got the first hit

Like what I've heard of it- the aquarium behind home plate sounds neat.

Like what I've heard of it- the aquarium behind home plate sounds neat.

Good way to steal an idea...

rays_tank.jpg

Miami - Always the number 2 Florida team.

By the way, Marlin Park's a terrible name, should have called it the "Fish Tank".:thumbsu:

Really surprised there was not some sort of corporate sponsorship for the park. Maybe they are working on it.

Bottom of the 7th starting now- only other no-no on opening day by Bobby Feller, 70 some years ago.

Edit- so much for that...Marlins got a single...

Most teams starting today...listening to the Sox and Tigers...43 degrees at opening pitch at Comerica.

Waiting for the Phils and Bucs from PNC.

Great to have baseball back.

Sox up and down in order in the first

I'm over in the US atm so will be seeing a Mets game this weekend. It should be fun.

Pity you didn't go today- by all accounts, the Mets were giving away free tickets for this weekend's games if you came to Opening Day. Man, are these guys basket cases....such a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back