2012 NHL off-season (a.k.a. Another freaking lockout) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Marns, not to sound like I'm backing out of any discussion here, more that it seems we're both so set on our sides.
You could say we see as eye-to-eye as the league and PA ;)

I get your points, and you have some fair arguments, but the thing is - if the NHLPA gave in on this offer, which is the first reasonable offer that has been on the table, they're basically lying down and allowing the NHL Owners to walk over them - then when future CBAs come up for discussion, the owners will take more and more because "Eh, it worked last time?". It shouldn't be about the figures of money, it should be looked at as the percentages.

Maybe there is a whole load of Bettman hate influencing what I'm saying, but the argument that "the players can't deal with having less money", can be turned on the NHL and owners
I understand the politics behind what both sides are doing, and I understand why both are standing their ground. However, I don't care for any of it. It is just so out of touch for me, that the finer details don't matter. Percentages or not, they're still millionaires and billionaires fighting over dollars, while the only people suffering are the ones that put money into the game. Us!

I'm not sure what your living situation is like, but as someone who lives out of home, pays rent and works hard for a pretty shite pay cheque, I can't bring myself to sympathise with #theplayers and their apparently horrible work conditions the owners place on them.

bring on replacement players I say.

scab the league up

Would be an interesting experiment.

I guess then we would see if its the game and the clubs that the people love, or its the players.

I would lean towards the fact that people would go and watch their teams, regardless of who is playing, and I guess this is what the owners and the NHL are banking on.

The players are essentially employees of the owners, if they don't like their deal, they are free to choose another path in life, or a different competition to play in. And playing hockey is essentially just another career.

The owners are the ones who invest their money into teams (stadiums, players, equipment, restaurants etc). They assume the risk and make, or lose, their money based performance.

The players get guaranteed payments, did you see an owner ask Crosby (insert any other LTI here) for his millions back when he missed a near full season?

Where do you stand on it, PG?

I paid attention to it for 24 hours and got bored.

I'm on neither side, I think if I picked a side I might get emotional and make a bunch of rash and incorrect generalisations about a large group of people... ;)

The next article I read about this situation will have the opening night's date within the headline.

Would be an interesting experiment.

Interesting to see how pathetic it would be and how many empty rinks there would be littered around the league?

I guess then we would see if its the game and the clubs that the people love, or its the players.

It's a combination of both. Not many fans are going to watch a bunch of beer league players play in NHL jerseys. Not many fans are going to watch NHL players play shinny.

I would lean towards the fact that people would go and watch their teams, regardless of who is playing

C'mon now...

The Islanders are moving next door to their big estranged brother Rangers.

Heading to Brooklyn.

EFA.

But this is good news. Just as long as we keep the 'New York' and 'Islanders' monikers.

Interesting to see how pathetic it would be and how many empty rinks there would be littered around the league

Perhaps (more than likely) initially.

C'mon now...

Well, maybe not whoever, but my point is the league will recover.

Just has the NHL has grown to be the preeminent hockey league in the world, it would again. It has the teams, the infrastructure and the supporters.

As the best hockey players in the world have in the past been drawn to this league, they would be again. To play against and beat the best, to be the best.

And as the owners have overspent in the past, they would again, then we would be at we are again...

oCpSs.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get on the other leagues - AHL and CHL starting up, some great games in Europe too.

One would think a thread title change may be in order soon enough?

I mean... long negotiations on back-to-back-to-back days (with apparently more to come if needed) should be a sign for cautious optimism.. right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back