FTA-TV 2012 Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Andy D must be doing cartwheels, what a weekend.

When you think the crowds, all things considered, were the 2nd best for a round of all time with the big four of Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast and Adelaide not having home games, all stakeholders in the game must be just beside themselves.

Amazing what showing a game live, so the AFL, not leeching shows at 7:30 (Looking at you seven), get the ratings they deserve.

I'm waiting for the puff piece from afl house to come up wth regards to record ratings and almost record crowds... ;)

What affect will the AFL's strong figures have on the NRL's up coming tv rights?

What affect will the AFL's strong figures have on the NRL's up coming tv rights?
Good question. One I have thought about myself, and I would assume its in the AFL's best interests for the NRL deal to be (much) lower. More money for the NRL means more money to pay players to keep them in League, more money for grass roots etc.

There was an article in the media today about Nine and Fox working together a la Seven and Fox in the AFL, for Fox to simulcast all games of Rugby league. I guess all media people working on the NRL deal would be watching the AFL figures with great interest, and, luckily for the AFL, the ratings are up about 30% according to the big cheese.

Im surprised its not out already to be honest. Demetriou was sprouting the 1.4 million figure for fridays game by saturday so theyd have to have those figures by now
The HS has put out a couple of articles not solely focussing on ratings, but certainly mentioning that AD has been doing the rounds

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/now-the-footy-seasons-really-begun/story-fnctrk3q-1226315961072

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...ey-season-opener/story-e6frf9nf-1226316270295

In your very, very, very little corner of the world ..... United you need that bridge yourself to get a gig in the real world, ditch the white stick for openers, and get the hell outa Dodge aka south east Melbourne !!

Is Vic Australias smallest state, or is it your whole world?

In all honesty, you have NFI if you think there is another sport in Australia that rivals the AFL!

What's with all the bigfooty apprentices from 3-4 years ago suddenly appearing in a ratings thread? Ohhh that's right, nRL trolls :rolleyes:

Incredible, 2 miilion + people did not start watching the footy this week, either the ratings were very very wrong to begin with, or the ratings were very very wrong to begin with ;);)

Going live makes big difference and having a separate game a week before, less games going head to head, as well as an extra game in total and games being shown into more areas. also close games means viewers stay watching.

All little things but when they add up it makes a big difference. The challenge is keeping up decent ratings later on, especially if we start seeing blowouts and tanking and the top sides resting players etc.

So far though it looks like 7 did well paying about the same as last time and getting as good or better ratings despite going against fox.

According to Glen Dyer on Crikey

the top 5 Pay TV games yesterday were

AFL: Port Adelaide versus St Kilda (FF) — 259,600.

AFL: Western Bulldogs versus West Coast (FF) — 228,800.

NRL: Gold Coast versus Canterbury (FS2) — 220,000.

AFL: Pre-game Show (FF) — 175,800.

AFL: After The Bounce (FF) — 137,400.

So much for RL dominating Pay TV!

According to Glen Dyer on Crikey

the top 5 Pay TV games yesterday were

AFL: Port Adelaide versus St Kilda (FF) — 259,600.

AFL: Western Bulldogs versus West Coast (FF) — 228,800.

NRL: Gold Coast versus Canterbury (FS2) — 220,000.

AFL: Pre-game Show (FF) — 175,800.

AFL: After The Bounce (FF) — 137,400.

So much for RL dominating Pay TV!

Settle down - NRL did have a couple of 300k+ audiences on Fox in their first round. But the days of them having 70 or 80 of the top programs on Pay TV are over. Penetration rates have obviously increased, as have the quality of games on Foxtel.

http://www.talkingfooty.com/tv_ratings_2012.php

As per link above, without taking regional FTA's into account, AFL opening round almost 2 million viewers ahead of NRL opening round. Yes we have one more game per round, but they have more rounds. When you compare the game by game averages though, and the fact that the telecast goes for 3 vs 2 hours, we are streets ahead :thumbsu:

Settle down - NRL did have a couple of 300k+ audiences on Fox in their first round. But the days of them having 70 or 80 of the top programs on Pay TV are over. Penetration rates have obviously increased, as have the quality of games on Foxtel.

http://www.talkingfooty.com/tv_ratings_2012.php

As per link above, without taking regional FTA's into account, AFL opening round almost 2 million viewers ahead of NRL opening round. Yes we have one more game per round, but they have more rounds. When you compare the game by game averages though, and the fact that the telecast goes for 3 vs 2 hours, we are streets ahead :thumbsu:

Thanks for the link - so apart from the NRL opening round the AFL is almost double the NRL combined figures.

I find it a little surprising how poor the figures are for the A League and the Rugby.

It will be very interesting to see how the figures pan out over the season when viewers settle into more of a pattern.

You would think with those figures the NRL would struggle to get much more than $900,000,000 for their next deal considering the AFL got 1.3 billion and has 2 million more viewers per week and a far greater National spread of viewers.

In your very, very, very little corner of the world ..... United you need that bridge yourself to get a gig in the real world, ditch the white stick for openers, and get the hell outa Dodge aka south east Melbourne !!

Is Vic Australias smallest state, or is it your whole world?

Um NO that would be Tasmania:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not including the 76 trillion regional Australians who all watch Rugby League though, so when those ratings are factored in, the nRL should conservatively receive $4 billion dollars :D

I'm interested in the total break down for each match. It's something that will have greater importance to individual clubs, after all, certain clubs may have large TV audiences, allowing for greater sponsorship revenue.

I realise that with saturday clashes it's going to be hard to work out, as I for one was constantly switching between Subiaco and Ethihad to keep abreast of both matches.

I see this as being great news for the AFL, but it is also good news for the NRL (and their viewers). They would be looking to set up a similar deal to the AFL's deal with 3-4 live games on 9(7, 10) and all games simulcast on fox. They wont get 1 billion though (sorry had to troll at the end there).

I'm interested in the total break down for each match.

GWS vs Sydney 940,000
Richmond vs Carlton 1,001,000
Hawthorn vs Collingwood 1,074,000
Melbourne vs Brisbane 192,000
Gold Coast vs Adelaide 377,000
Fremantle vs Geelong 664,000
North Melbourne vs Essendon 209,000
Western Bulldogs vs West Coast 404,000
Port Adelaide vs St Kilda 392,000

Total: 5,253,000

What about all the people watching on T-Box, Xbox, Mobile phones and tablets through Telstra? How are these ratings counted? Are they counted?

What about all the people watching on T-Box, Xbox, Mobile phones and tablets through Telstra? How are these ratings counted? Are they counted?

Only 3000 households are counted Australia wide. According to a article in The Age last week there were probably a lot more people watching than the ratings count. They are not very accurate.

Only 3000 households are counted Australia wide. According to a article in The Age last week there were probably a lot more people watching than the ratings count. They are not very accurate.
WTF only 3000? Where are these 3000 based? Surely we have the technology to have every single household counted? Or at least in 2014 when every single TV is running digitally we surely would have that sort of technology

Remove this Banner Ad

Back